What's new

General/Other - Hish-Qu-Ten Predator Hish-Qu-Ten Discussion Thread

jokey77

Character Loyalist
The thing is that 122 and 12~ex lowplasma are some sort of 50/50. Having 122 guaranteed after every 4 is a really great step forward!

Now 122 close to the corner allows a hitconfirmable b22~scimitar (to replenish stamina)

122~ex scimitar (get stamina) is risky. 122~lowplasma (hitconfirm close or mid) is the safe variation. Even 122 is supposed to be 0 (i think -2) on block. Given that it ends with an overhead this is pretty decent by itself!

12~ex lowplasma, run, 3~lowplasma, b22~scimitar, 4~scimitar is a pretty damaging combo. The thing is, it also works with a forwarddash. The timing is tight, but it allows to use stamina for cancels.

ArmageddonUMK

LongJohnCena
Finally getting around to picking up predator and want to use hqt. I played some yesterday and here's what I've got so far on what to do:
-d4 low plasma
-plasma cancel pressure
-end combos with disk for setup
-basic mixups (b22d2/low plasma, 32/low plasma, etc)

This has been based on my practicing and online experience combined with watching tournament footage. Also I've been using f12 low plasma for pressure after a plasma cancel. don't know how good or bad this is, it just felt natural. Any critiques on my understanding, or further tips and strategies would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Poshib

The Artman
How's it going guys? I've been lurking around for a while but never post until now. I main Quan Chi and Predator and noticed you guys having some trouble with what to do with Predator when on the defensive.

The answer is simple....low plasma shot. That is your wakeup tool when you don't have meter or when you want to break out of pressure. A lot of times you'll trade, but the low beam will still hit the opponent and give you enough time to start up your offense again. Try it. It's very effective.

Also, about the standing 4 plasma cancel. Here's something every HQT Predator should be using:

st4, PC, 122 ~ Straight Beam (bf3) is not only completely safe, but is a free 6.63% (8.38% if you can do 2 standing 4s) worth of chip damage every time you land it because it jails. It's great for putting your opponents away when they're near death and it guarantees a brutality as a plus.

32 into Straight Beam is another string that jails for guaranteed chip damage.

Hope this helps.

Finally getting around to picking up predator and want to use hqt. I played some yesterday and here's what I've got so far on what to do:
-d4 low plasma
-plasma cancel pressure
-end combos with disk for setup
-basic mixups (b22d2/low plasma, 32/low plasma, etc)

This has been based on my practicing and online experience combined with watching tournament footage. Also I've been using f12 low plasma for pressure after a plasma cancel. don't know how good or bad this is, it just felt natural. Any critiques on my understanding, or further tips and strategies would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.
My strategy is to keep the opponent out for as long as possible with lasers and discs. Predator can zone most of the cast except for full auto Jackie and maybe balanced Kenshi. Avoid ending combos with stab unless it will end the round. You always want to end your combo with a string such as b311 low laser, which will guarantee a disc setup and leave them at a distance. Avoid doing pressure strings that can be easily poked out of. Example: 32 lc 122 can be low poked out of. 32 lc f12~low laser cannot be poked out of. Other than that just try not to get yourself cornered a lot and you should be good to go. Watch Reo and Foreverking’s matches. They have the best Predators IMO.

Last edited:

Nabeel Robinson

My time will come!
I think I have found a bug with Predator's disc, a lot of the times in neutral or when the opponent is running in the disc completely whiffs when it's supposed to track. This has happened to me a lot of times when I'm playing HQT and the other 2 variations.

@colt

Last edited:

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I
I think I have found a bug with Predator's disc, a lot of the times in neutral or when the opponent is running in the disc completely whiffs when it's supposed to track. This has happened to me a lot of times when I'm playing HQT and the other 2 variations.

I don't think the tracking is meant to be infallible

t0mtas

make or take
12 is +8 since you can jail d3. i tried canceling into f1 and neutral ducking and the opponent got hit if he blocked the first hit in 12 low but didnt if he blocked high. sometimes they can armor and sometimes they cant depending on the blocking

t0mtas

make or take
12 cancel is actually +9 or more when the opponent fuzzy guards predator right meaning that they have to block low high. you can then jail f1

jokey77

Character Loyalist
12 is +8 since you can jail d3. i tried canceling into f1 and neutral ducking and the opponent got hit if he blocked the first hit in 12 low but didnt if he blocked high. sometimes they can armor and sometimes they cant depending on the blocking
This is not how jailing works. Besides 12 feels more like +3-4, but if what you say is true, then it might be +5-6ish (I doubt it though).

t0mtas

make or take
This is not how jailing works. Besides 12 feels more like +3-4, but if what you say is true, then it might be +5-6ish (I doubt it though).
What do you mean? 12 cancel always d3 which is 7 frames. dont you have to be +8 to jail a 7 frame move?

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Nope, it can be slightly less. Yet I highly doubt that 12 and d3 really jail. "Jailing" means that there is not even a gap that can be exploited with armor-moves.

Armored moves aside, being +2 should be enough to guarantee a 7f poke, because the fastest moves in the game are 6-frame-pokes (apart from maybe some extra fast specials like Reptile's dash). Thus the opponent would be 1f too late, if he tried to poke after being -2.

Most strings that are plus cause some pushback though and most fast pokes have short range though...

t0mtas

make or take
Nope, it can be slightly less. Yet I highly doubt that 12 and d3 really jail. "Jailing" means that there is not even a gap that can be exploited with armor-moves.

Armored moves aside, being +2 should be enough to guarantee a 7f poke, because the fastest moves in the game are 6-frame-pokes (apart from maybe some extra fast specials like Reptile's dash). Thus the opponent would be 1f too late, if he tried to poke after being -2.

Most strings that are plus cause some pushback though and most fast pokes have short range though...
I know this. D3 actually jails after 12 cancel. i put the opponent on reversal. the cancel is even more plus if you block low and then high and actually JAILS f1 leaving no gap

jokey77

Character Loyalist
If this is true, 12 must be around +6. I can't believe that this is the case.
Then again I generally fail to do the fastest possible cancels during the heat of the battle. Besides I failed in finding a way to calculate the exact data, so my personal impressions are all I have to judge... :)

I might look into this tonight though. Could be interesting indeed. Then again, shouldn't we use 32 anyway, whenever we want to cancel after the second hit? Both 1 and 3 are highs, so...

t0mtas

make or take
If this is true, 12 must be around +6. I can't believe that this is the case.
Then again I generally fail to do the fastest possible cancels during the heat of the battle. Besides I failed in finding a way to calculate the exact data, so my personal impressions are all I have to judge... :)

I might look into this tonight though. Could be interesting indeed. Then again, shouldn't we use 32 anyway, whenever we want to cancel after the second hit? Both 1 and 3 are highs, so...
Im pretty sure that a move has to be at least +8 to jail 7 frame moves and i can definitely jail it but its tight. Anyway i dont know if there is an actual use for this since you can 32 but all my friends disrespect the plus frames since they are like +2 or 3 when done perfectly so 12 would be enough to guarantee the 12 frame mid and even jail something if necessary. no one can poke or flip kick out of that one

Im pretty sure that a move has to be at least +8 to jail 7 frame moves and i can definitely jail it but its tight. Anyway i dont know if there is an actual use for this since you can 32 but all my friends disrespect the plus frames since they are like +2 or 3 when done perfectly so 12 would be enough to guarantee the 12 frame mid and even jail something if necessary. no one can poke or flip kick out of that one
Set Lao to ex spin on reversal and see if you can get the d3 to come out before Lao spins.