What's new

PowerA announces new FightPad - PowerA Fusion FightPad for PS4/XB1/NS

SinkFla

Noob
I have a ps4 SFV Mad Catz one and man is the d-pad/analog pad ass lmao. Feels like performing open heart surgery trying to pull off half circles. I might need to try this.

C-Sword

Noob
They are available for pre-order on amazon.com. It seems like they're releasing the Switch version first.

• Six-button, Arcade-Style layout with Alps action buttons for precise control
  • Toggle switches for directional pad and shoulder buttons enable customizable options
  • Three swappable magnetic faceplates let you Switch up your style and Color preferences
  • Inspired by the iconic SEGA Saturn gamepad, revered by fighting game enthusiasts
  • Officially Licensed by PlayStation with two-year limited warranty - register at PowerA.Com

Last edited:

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
Nice but I will stick with my Razor Wolverine Ultimate. Had too many of those fightpads in the past and they all broke at some Point :( (I think I had like 5 of the street fighter fightpads lol)

C-Sword

Noob
First written review I found

When it comes to fightpads I ask myself a simple question: How closely does it resemble the Japanese Sega Saturn controller? If you’ve played on that (legendary) controller then you know it’s considered the gold standard for fightpads. The Fusion fightpad is easily the most Sega Saturn-like controller of all the fightpads I’ve played outside of the genuine article. Even 8BitDo’s excellent [M30 gamepad]

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword

The most detailed review yet, he pointed out the flaws that could be deal breakers to some.
Thanks for that. Besides the shoulder buttons being too sensitive...I thought the price tag was a deal breaker. Like he said, I'll stick to my Hori, even though I think the dpad could be better, but it's been 3+ years now, and it's still working well for me.

C-Sword

Noob

I've tested the controller with various fighting games for 5 hours.

Let's start with what I like:

The weight, it's heavier than the other fightpads and doesn't feel cheap in your hands. I have medium sized hands and I find it comfortable to hold.

The d-pad is good, I had no problems pulling off Spinning Piledrivers with Zangief and instant Tsubame Gaeshis with Ukyo. If you're familiar with the Saturn Pad, you'll feel right at home. It would have been perfect if it was a little bit less loose, I found my inputs to be slightly more accurate with the 8bitdo M30. It's still way better than the d-pad on both the Dualshock 4 and Xbox One controller.

The face buttons are well spaced out, it's easy to press two of them simulteneously, there's enough space between them to keep me from pressing the wrong one by accident. I also like the clicky sound they make. My only gripe with them is the glossy finish, it makes the buttons feel like M&M.

Now, let's move on to what I don't like:

There's no touchpad, they should've at least replaced it with a button. This is really annoying with a game like MK 11 when I need to reset training. Enabling pause delay in the menu didn't help, pressing the Option button twice should normally reset training, but this controller refuses to do it most of the time.

Edit: Ok, so I finally managed to reset training in MK 11 after enabling pause delay, you have to press really hard on option twice, pressing normally or tapping doesn't work.

The bumpers are really sensitive, I accidentally activated Rage Mode in SamSho on a few occasions. It also caused me to perform the enhanced versions of some special moves instead of the regular ones in SFV. It didn't affect my inputs in MK 11. Depending on how you hold your controller, it might not bother you at all.

Overall, I like the controller more than the Hori Fighting Commander, it's more ergonomic and the d-pad is less rough on my thumb. However, I don't think the controller is worth $59.99. Wait for the price to go down or wait for more reviews on the Razer Raion.

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Looks cool and probably a little more comfortable than the HORI FC. More than a little Saturn inspired no doubt. I'd give one a try.

I had a few of Hori FC's, but finally gave in to the standard PS4 pad for wireless, modability, and repair paths. I like the idea of quality 3rd party pads but having to replace them every time the stupid silicone contact pads tear drives me crazy. You can buy new ones for DS4 and you are back in action, even if they often aren't quite as good. It's just way more cost effective, and controllers are actually really durable outside of that and it's just a dumb reason to have to toss a controller. I have several Hori corpses just lying around. I asked Hori about getting replacement pads for them, and they didn't say no, but it was taking a long and complicated road.

Pads are mostly moot for me currently though. I'm generally using a hitbox type thing and you can replace anything easily. It's not portable though, and it looks like there is a Switch version for this, so maybe.

I think it's cool, and useful you've been keeping up on all the fighting pad options. There have been so many bad pads in the years past, it's nice to see a range of options that don't suck.

C-Sword

Noob
Pads are mostly moot for me currently though. I'm generally using a hitbox type thing and you can replace anything easily. It's not portable though, and it looks like there is a Switch version for this, so maybe.
If you're looking for a controller for the Switch, I highly recommend the 8Bitdo M30, it's cheaper and the d-pad is godlike. Doing command grabs in NRS games is so much easier with that controller. It also works wired. I'll be playing more with the Fusion, but I don't think it's going to replace the M30 as my main controller.

portent

Noob

There's no touchpad, they should've at least replaced it with a button. This is really annoying with a game like MK 11 when I need to reset training. Enabling pause delay in the menu didn't help, pressing the Option button twice should normally reset training, but this controller refuses to do it most of the time.
The lack of touchpad or a button to act like the touchpad is a dealbreaker. I have that in the fighting commander already.

C-Sword

Noob
The lack of touchpad or a button to act like the touchpad is a dealbreaker. I have that in the fighting commander already.
This is the only touchpad a PS4 fightpad would need.

The one on the Razer Raion is taking up too much space, it leaves little room for the 6 face buttons.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Just got my fightpad.

If you cannot play without resting your finger on or near the bumpers, it's not the pad for you. Thankfully, I do not, and minor personal grip adjustments would make the controller my go-to. The Option and Share buttons are pretty inconsistent, but they're Options and Share buttons. Not really a big deal. D-pad is really loose, but I haven't felt any issues with consistency yet. Feels sturdy despite how lose it is, though. I was surprised at how hefty it feels in the hands, but I like it.

The cable feels really tough to remove and insert, but thankfully it's not a proprietary connection, so you can use whatever micro USB cable.

Once I get some serious playtime with it, I'll report back my full thoughts, but so far it feels solid, despite the issues.

C-Sword

Noob
Just got my fightpad.

If you cannot play without resting your finger on or near the bumpers, it's not the pad for you. Thankfully, I do not, and minor personal grip adjustments would make the controller my go-to. The Option and Share buttons are pretty inconsistent, but they're Options and Share buttons. Not really a big deal. D-pad is really loose, but I haven't felt any issues with consistency yet. Feels sturdy despite how lose it is, though. I was surprised at how hefty it feels in the hands, but I like it.

The cable feels really tough to remove and insert, but thankfully it's not a proprietary connection, so you can use whatever micro USB cable.

Once I get some serious playtime with it, I'll report back my full thoughts, but so far it feels solid, despite the issues.
I prefer using the controller without the faceplate, I don't like how deep the d-pad is within the crevice, my thumb would brush against the surface of the controller when I slide it to the right. I don't have any issues with the d-pad with MK11 so far. I get instant air fireball with Akuma in SFV when entering the inputs for Hadoken with H.P. sometimes.

Here's a video showing it

THTB

I prefer using the controller without the faceplate, I don't like how deep the d-pad is within the crevice, my thumb would brush against the surface of the controller when I slide it to the right. I don't have any issues with the d-pad with MK11 so far. I get instant air fireball with Akuma in SFV when entering the inputs for Hadoken with H.P. sometimes.

Here's a video showing it

Yeah I noticed that feeling right away. Felt kinda easy at first to get an up diagonal.

THTB

Still no match practice for it. (Smh, my free time is atrociously scheduled)

But in my entire time in practice, the sensitive bumpers have only been problematic on the left side, which is a side I usually won't have buttons mapped for other than training functions. The only game I personally play where this was annoying was Fighting EX Layer. SFV I pretty much never had an issue. I haven't tried MK11, but I'd imagine I'd be fine, too, since my left hand only has an issue during inputs like double motion inputs. I keep my fingers resting on the triggers, so there's a lot less issue for me.

The floatiness of the d-pad, now that I've adjusted, is great IMO. Even before that point, I was able to move and do my inputs pretty much flawlessly. Only the 8BitDo M30 has matched that feeling of precision, tbh. And I love how the face buttons feel. They're large and I never feel like I could ever miss hitting multiple buttons. The faceplate hasn't had an effect on d-pad comfort from grazing the indent wall. I never notice it.

Also, to touch on the audio jack, don't expect a lot of bass lol, but sound is certainly loud and clear.

I need actual matches before any sort of definitive verdict, but honestly, I'm a fan. The lack of a touchpad hasn't been an issue for me for the most part, since the games I play don't absolutely require it. The sensitive triggers may not be an issue for you, depending on your grip and button config. I recommend it, despite the price tag.

THTB

Okay, finally actual match experience! I played a bunch of SFV matches.

So, just like in practice mode, the bumper issue never bothered me once. My biggest concern was this, and it's very much a non-issue (At least if I'm playing with L1/L2 on the right and L3/R3 aren't mapped). The d-pad was generally very accurate and comfortable, though the sensitive diagonals popped up a couple times and got me a couple jumps. It's also a very different feel from most of my other pads, so it affects my inputs mentally, but I think time will solve this. I genuinely think some wear will reduce this over time, but it generally wasn't much of a thing. The raised parts of the pad are rough, though, so it could be uncomfortable for most who still have feelings in their thumbs lol.

Overall, it felt good and I never really felt like I was hampered with the controller in any way. But this is me, personally, and I generally feel like I adjust to different pads pretty easily. I still recommend the pad, and I'll keep an update if anything goes sour.

C-Sword

Noob
Okay, finally actual match experience! I played a bunch of SFV matches.

So, just like in practice mode, the bumper issue never bothered me once. My biggest concern was this, and it's very much a non-issue (At least if I'm playing with L1/L2 on the right and L3/R3 aren't mapped). The d-pad was generally very accurate and comfortable, though the sensitive diagonals popped up a couple times and got me a couple jumps. It's also a very different feel from most of my other pads, so it affects my inputs mentally, but I think time will solve this. I genuinely think some wear will reduce this over time, but it generally wasn't much of a thing. The raised parts of the pad are rough, though, so it could be uncomfortable for most who still have feelings in their thumbs lol.

Overall, it felt good and I never really felt like I was hampered with the controller in any way. But this is me, personally, and I generally feel like I adjust to different pads pretty easily. I still recommend the pad, and I'll keep an update if anything goes sour.
I'm also going to spend more time with the controller. Are you going to get the Raion when it becomes available in North America? That controller is getting mixed reviews, the face buttons are apparently super sensitive.

THTB

I'm also going to spend more time with the controller. Are you going to get the Raion when it becomes available in North America? That controller is getting mixed reviews, the face buttons are apparently super sensitive.
I may still. But I'm leery due to the reviews.

i receive my controller . and i wouldnt recommend this controller. terrible compatibility on PC it wont show PS4 controls only has a xbox one controller on steam no matter what settings i put in big picture. also input wise it doesnt had anything really the dpad isnt has good as the classic saturn controller.

its a waste of money but the cable is top tier though.

C-Sword

Noob
i receive my controller . and i wouldnt recommend this controller. terrible compatibility on PC it wont show PS4 controls only has a xbox one controller on steam no matter what settings i put in big picture. also input wise it doesnt had anything really the dpad isnt has good as the classic saturn controller.

its a waste of money but the cable is top tier though.
I got it to work with all the fighting games on steam, you just have to check the Playstation configuration support in your general controller settings. I just found out that L2 and R2 are not actual triggers, they have no spring. I came very close to selling the controller, but after playing with it some more, I'm loving it now and keeping it

Last edited: