What's new

Post-Stream Notes from Ed Boon @ UFGTX: Balance, Mortal Kombat, Streams, Character Variety, E3

Let the man speak you fucking asshole.
Pretty much along the same lines of everyone else who feels that this is the approach to take with me this weekend, I'm an amateur streamer who does this as a hobby. I don't play NRS games, and I'm not a professional reporter trained to interview people. I provided the best MK and IGUA content I could this weekend, if you enjoyed it awesome, if you didn't whatever, and if you want to call names you can eat a dick. :D

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Tbh I would prefer them to announce injustice : year 2 as a upgrade to the first injustice. A few more characters and skins would be awesome but a whole new injustice game just seems too early.

Then announce they are working on mk10
Buff aas, wake ups, add more strings and better normals!

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I say this everytime I talk about a new MK. Lets not change the move sets again. If i have to change scoripons get over here and remember it one more time i think i am done with MK :). Anyway hyped for what I hope is MKX :)

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Pretty much along the same lines of everyone else who feels that this is the approach to take with me this weekend, I'm an amateur streamer who does this as a hobby. I don't play NRS games, and I'm not a professional reporter trained to interview people. I provided the best MK and IGUA content I could this weekend, if you enjoyed it awesome, if you didn't whatever, and if you want to call names you can eat a dick. :D
That guy loves to troll. Wasn't even worth a response lol. As a stream viewer though you did a great job imo.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
My favorite part of the interview was when Ed said "Nothing we want to announce at this time" and then tried to hold back the biggest, most enormous smile in the history of smiles.

<3 Ed :D

BanTheTesters

“My AGENT is tougher than you...”
"I would have liked to see Joker a little bit (more in tournament). A lot of the designers (from NRS) are here too and they're happy to see the range of characters. They had a discussion to not just weaken the strong characters - let's bring the other ones up (buff them)".
What's that? Possible Joker Buff...?

McCarron

Noob
Callisto was uber professional the entire weekend and put together a great stream. He did some great work for our scene. Ask anyone who was there.
Agreed @tylerlansdown and @STORMS, @BGCallisto put on a great stream for NRS scene all three days this weekend. He did great work and look forward to him streaming future events in Chicago and wherever else he can travel to.

Ryan also didn't know he'd actually get to interview Ed until minutes before, so it's not like he had any time to prepare. I know this because I was there when he came over to ask Ed to do an interview. Anyone who thinks they can do better, they should look into doing that for a living because it's an acquired skill. I've known Ed for almost 20 years and I would have been way worse interviewing him live when I first met him.

Thanks again @BGCallisto!

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I liked that Boon said there wasn't anything he was allowed to talk about at this time lol. Also, good job to @BGCallisto , you did a awesome job and I hope you can stream more for this community.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Agreed @tylerlansdown and @STORMS, @BGCallisto put on a great stream for NRS scene all three days this weekend. He did great work and look forward to him streaming future events in Chicago and wherever else he can travel to.

Ryan also didn't know he'd actually get to interview Ed until minutes before, so it's not like he had any time to prepare. I know this because I was there when he came over to ask Ed to do an interview. Anyone who thinks they can do better, they should look into doing that for a living because it's an acquired skill. I've known Ed for almost 20 years and I would have been way worse interviewing him live when I first met him.

Thanks again @BGCallisto!
A question I thought of after Ed mentioned about "if we had more time" is what determines the length of time they are able to work on a title? Besides sales of course - it had me curious.

Thanks guys, and yeah I wish I could really express the sheer intensity of the IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN, WINK WINK eyebrows that I was getting from him when he said he couldn't talk about things, lol.

I will assuredly have more NRS and KI streams at future tournaments, and am already working on making some improvements to the audio quality of my gear; I'm limited at the moment by the fact that all I could afford leading up to UFGT was Yamaha CM500s since I also bought a brand new mixer and two new capture devices going into it; if I can get a partnered channel and get a little bit of revenue to recoup costs I'll be looking into upgrading to BPHS1s but at the moment three of those are about the same cash value as my crapheap car, lol. In the meantime I'll be tweaking my stuff I already have further to get the best I can out of it next time.

A question I thought of after Ed mentioned about "if we had more time" is what determines the length of time they are able to work on a title? Besides sales of course - it had me curious.
Yeah I really was curious as to what that limiter was too, but I have to assume it was WB basically telling them to devote all their resources to IJ and to leave MK alone.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I recently watched the stream and was wondering the same thing. Maybe there was some sort of time constraint that involved IGAU or something, which cut their time short on MK? Either way, I'm sure WB's had more to do with it.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I love what he said about designing characters - something to the effect of "it's like laying out a pallette" for the players or "giving them a piano" and getting to watch them play and see what they can do with it. Nrs makes such unique and diverse characters, I really like that creative and player focused approach.

I actually don't agree with this approach at all. Its the reason why we need an average of 15 patches after release.

In developing new Street Fighter characters they literally breakdown every little mpve againgst every little move/situation another character could use on them. Sure new setups are always found on release of any game, but they really do dive deep.

I understand where Boon is coming from when he says this, but some moves (ESPECIALLY normal moves and strings) in Injustice seem to either have no purpose at all or are so ridiculous that it seems they didnt think through how abused theyd be in some matchups.

NRS are getting better and better at developing their kind of fighting game so I really do have faith in them to make great fighters at this point. But I still do think they have tons of room to go when it comes making characters play like they intend them to at release. Like wakeup attack balance seems to always be forgotten by them (Batgirls perfect options on wakeup, many characters literally with free wakeup)

Last edited:
In developing new Street Fighter characters they literally breakdown every little mpve againgst every little move/situation another character could use on them. Sure new setups are always found on release of any game, but they really do dive deep.
I gotta disagree with this one lol, AE2012 was released with things like El Feurte's forward+MK being literally unblockable by Ibuki at any point, even in neutral. Games are hard to make, some character is always going to be broken, but it's better to make everyone broken over time and have a silly, hype game where anything can happen than a bunch of weak characters.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I gotta disagree with this one lol, AE2012 was released with things like El Feurte's forward+MK being literally unblockable by Ibuki at any point, even in neutral. Games are hard to make, some character is always going to be broken, but it's better to make everyone broken over time and have a silly, hype game where anything can happen than a bunch of weak characters.
I agree making games especially on a time frame is hard and stuff slips through the cracks all the time, but I don't think there is any denying SF developers have become pretty good at catching stuff prematurely while NRS is still considerably more rocky at the moment.