What's new

Post Patch Superman

It seems that Ares can ALWAYS duck the F2 follow up after F23~Breath, no matter what stance Superman is in. SOMETIMES, from open stance, the F2 follow up is blocked if it connects as Ares is breathing. the F2 follow up will always miss from closed stance. This could spell trouble if more characters do this.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
It seems that Ares can ALWAYS duck the F2 follow up after F23~Breath, no matter what stance Superman is in. SOMETIMES, from open stance, the F2 follow up is blocked if it connects as Ares is breathing. the F2 follow up will always miss from closed stance. This could spell trouble if more characters do this.
Ooh wow. The irony. Ares vs superman was one of the worst match ups in the game because Ares couldn't really do much against f23 pressure but now this.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
When Superman is in closed stance and does F23~Breath, a low hitbox character like Ares can crouch under the next F2, even when he is cornered.

So for example... You have Ares cornered and he blocks F23~Breath. He notices that your cape is facing the screen during the Breath, he now knows that the next F2 will whiff if you follow up. This REALLY hurts Superman in MU's where this is possible. I have only tested this on Ares, Batman, KF, and Flash and only Ares can crouch it.

If a lot more than one character can do this, this opens up serious MU problems for Superman.
Tom, what was F23 Breath loop on Ares before the patch? Does this mean Superman players have to think when playing against Ares now?

Tom, what was F23 Breath loop on Ares before the patch? Does this mean Superman players have to think when playing against Ares now?

pre-patch i was told by Ares players that it was a block infinite because Superman would fly over their D1 counter poke. Now, the F23~breath loop is not even possible vs Ares.

I believe that only Ares that can crouch under the follow up F2 after blocking F23~Breath.

haketh

Noob
pre-patch i was told by Ares players that it was a block infinite because Superman would fly over their D1 counter poke. Now, the F23~breath loop is not even possible vs Ares.

I believe that only Ares that can crouch under the follow up F2 after blocking F23~Breath.
Yeah, Ares being able to do that completely swings the MU the other way. Supes zoning being wrose plus our buff to 22 lets us Ares players ahve full control of the footsies game and we can turn D1 when we have trait into some big damage.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!

Heh I already knew it was a block infinite before, guess you didn't pick up on the sarcasm. It was basically a "cry me a river" response to when you said Superman may face "matchup problems"

Heaven forbid!

Man I was so sick and tired of hearing these Superman players saying he had no good mixups when F23 breath/laser/trait alone was one of the strongest mixups in the game lol. And we all saw KDZ doing all these crazy ambiguous OTG setups yet some of these players still had the audacity to say Superman had no good 50/50s...

Good write up. Now Superman players will have to think more about spacing before throwing random F23s and random lasers. So we will see who the really good and smart Supes are. I have no doubt that Theo will continue to have success with this character.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Good post, Tom. I think that a good amount of us on here would have figured these things out pretty, quickly. But it never hurts to get a head start or to help those who are not as quick to recognize these new opportunities / openings.
Tom Brady

I'm glad guys like tom are around to post this stuff in depth. I work 50 hours a week and don't have the time to plot out all of the options in these specific scenarios... however I do have time throughout the day to read forums so it's awesome that this information is out there in plain sight for everyone to see.

<3

karma lol

Man I was so sick and tired of hearing these Superman players saying he had no good mixups when F23 breath/laser/trait alone was one of the strongest mixups in the game lol. And we all saw KDZ doing all these crazy ambiguous OTG setups yet some of these players still had the audacity to say Superman had no good 50/50s...

Good write up. Now Superman players will have to think more about spacing before throwing random F23s and random lasers. So we will see who the really good and smart Supes are. I have no doubt that Theo will continue to have success with this character.
they ruined his combos, now people have to change a lot of midscreen combos thanks to the f2 scoop whiff. Also he doesn't have a 50/50 because if you see the jd3 it will cross 100% of the time, otherwise it won't do a combo so it's not 50/50. In the corner is the same, the moment superman goes for a jump just block, it won't cross at all.

BlankOctober

For the Brotherhood!
I'm sure Superman is still going to be a threat, but Superman players will have to actually CALCULATE things now. At this point, this is the most honest this game will get.

I'm sure Superman is still going to be a threat, but Superman players will have to actually CALCULATE things now. At this point, this is the most honest this game will get.
if we superman palyers have to redone or research on midscreen combos, then so should the other players. It's kind of unfair that f23, f23, f2 scoop got destroyed while others still have their combos and do 40% damage while basic supes bnb midscreen didn't surpass 30%

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This could just be me being stupid...

But I tried out Superman in the patch just now, and I see no difference in his f2. It can still hit at the start of a match if you aren't blocking and I've caught someone out of the air with it.

Cooldown on his air lasers doesn't feel any different to me, either, but I have yet to test that with all options, so ignore this.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the differences.

This could just be me being stupid...

But I tried out Superman in the patch just now, and I see no difference in his f2. It can still hit at the start of a match if you aren't blocking and I've caught someone out of the air with it.

Cooldown on his air lasers doesn't feel any different to me, either, but I have yet to test that with all options, so ignore this.
try to do f23, f23, f2 scoop 3 ender

Still connects.

BUT, I just went into practice mode and started doing only F2, and it's whiffing against Sinestro while he's just standing there. Interesting...
no it doesn't as it used to be. Try to do f23, j2, f23, f2 scoop ender. Try to do f2d1, f23, f2 scoop ender then tell me if it connects. f23, f23, f2 scoop is inconsistent and fails way more than before.