What's new

Match-up Discussion POST PATCH: Discussion Smokes new tier positioning

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
with bar, but smoke meter usage should be budgeted since his meter gain is iffy
When you have meter with smoke you need to set down some mind games, use EX Shake to show the opponent that they need to respect your meter!

Do you rush liu kang on wake up? or JC when he holds 3 bars? FUCK NO, so use that with smoke, its EXACTLY the same except you use 1 meter and its 0 frame start up, which means it beats out every move in the game, and can even interrupt some strings.

Smoke isn't just a one trick pony, hes linear but only if you make him that way. Stop focussing everything on smoke bombs, use them sparingly and threateningly, and start to open up everything smoke has!

we all get that

Lets put it like this, if smoke didnt have smoke bomb and stayed the say other wise, he would be close to garbage...the only thing he would have going for him is that he can shake projectiles thats it.
Id prefer smoke towards/away any day over shake. shake can be replaced by teleport on reaction, just a little riskier to do. But smoke bomb is indeed an important asset of his game, smoke bomb is the reason why people have to press the block button constantly in order not to get combo'd. but thats not all. throwing smoke bombs randomly is gonna make you eat cross in jump punches into full combo.

I know what youre tryin to say but taking an important move from a character not only holds true for smoke, KL spin. JC's nut punch, subzeros clone, raidens teleport and so on. Except for kabal even without nomad dash that guy can zone you out, take away his gas ball hes gonna rush you down with block infinites

kandehbar

The Gryphon
When you have meter with smoke you need to set down some mind games, use EX Shake to show the opponent that they need to respect your meter!

Do you rush liu kang on wake up? or JC when he holds 3 bars? FUCK NO, so use that with smoke, its EXACTLY the same except you use 1 meter and its 0 frame start up, which means it beats out every move in the game, and can even interrupt some strings.

Smoke isn't just a one trick pony, hes linear but only if you make him that way. Stop focussing everything on smoke bombs, use them sparingly and threateningly, and start to open up everything smoke has!
You shouldnt use Ex shake for mindgames, that is a perfect waste of meter, smokes meter usage should be minimal and percise cause if you wiff ex shake you just wasted a meter, you should use it when you know you opponent is gonna pressure you.

Most people will be weary of trying to pressure when smoke gets knocked down cause of ex shake but when you do it in the middles of a block string or right when they start it really messes with them. but even so they can just sweep a shake, shake doesnt parry lows

Sweep kick Liu Kang's wake up all day.. just sayin.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You shouldnt use Ex shake for mindgames, that is a perfect waste of meter, smokes meter usage should be minimal and percise cause if you wiff ex shake you just wasted a meter, you should use it when you know you opponent is gonna pressure you.

Most people will be weary of trying to pressure when smoke gets knocked down cause of ex shake but when you do it in the middles of a block string or right when they start it really messes with them. but even so they can just sweep a shake, shake doesnt parry lows
Yeah use it when its going to do something, dont just stand there and do 3 EX shakes at full screen, use a bit of sense about it. if you see the opponent hesitate when you shake you should just dash/jump out and pressure, dont wait around they will just punish you.

hardwire

Noob
Id prefer smoke towards/away any day over shake. shake can be replaced by teleport on reaction, just a little riskier to do. But smoke bomb is indeed an important asset of his game, smoke bomb is the reason why people have to press the block button constantly in order not to get combo'd. but thats not all. throwing smoke bombs randomly is gonna make you eat cross in jump punches into full combo.

I know what youre tryin to say but taking an important move from a character not only holds true for smoke, KL spin. JC's nut punch, subzeros clone, raidens teleport and so on. Except for kabal even without nomad dash that guy can zone you out, take away his gas ball hes gonna rush you down with block infinites
oh i hate to burst your bubble there but they hold block so they dont eat a teleport punch they can easaly take a stroll and avoid our smoke bombs

oh i hate to burst your bubble there but they hold block so they dont eat a teleport punch they can easaly take a stroll and avoid our smoke bombs
Hate to burst your bubble but if you teleport on time they wont be able to block it, even Pre patch Kl couldnt block a well timed teleport with his fast recovery after a low hat. if you throw a projectile at somebody, you wont be able to block for a while. what did you expect me to do? wait for him to be able to block and then teleport?

hardwire

Noob
Hate to burst your bubble but if you teleport on time they wont be able to block it, even Pre patch Kl couldnt block a well timed teleport with his fast recovery after a low hat. if you throw a projectile at somebody, you wont be able to block for a while. what did you expect me to do? wait for him to be able to block and then teleport?

they block dash to guard against the tp punch if they move at all they avoid the smoke bomb

block dashing is to catch us in the tp punch not to stop the smoke bomb.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
they block dash to guard against the tp punch if they move at all they avoid the smoke bomb

I didnt really read that far into your argument so i dont know exactly what yall are argueing about but smokes teleport is THE FASTEST in the game you can easily catch someone on the recovery frames of a projectile i mean shake isnt the only reason smoke is an anti zone, teleport is almost just as fast. So yeh on reaction teleport beats projectiles, i mean they can block or anything cause their on the recovery frames from when they fired a projectile.

are we even talking about the same thing? I said teleport can punish 90% of the games projectiles on reaction, so it can be a viable replacement for shake.

I didnt really read that far into your argument so i dont know exactly what yall are argueing about but smokes teleport is THE FASTEST in the game you can easily catch someone on the recovery frames of a projectile i mean shake isnt the only reason smoke is an anti zone, teleport is almost just as fast. So yeh on reaction teleport beats projectiles, i mean they can block or anything cause their on the recovery frames from when they fired a projectile.
thats what i was saying, i dont know why he would quote me by saying smoke bombs can be avoided by dashing

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I thought that was already invincible o_o
Once it starts up it is, but you can still get hit out of it on start up.

I don't know why smoke drift would be better with armor. Smoke is never going to get an armored move anyway.

Besides, with the extended wake up invincibility wake up ex smoke drift is pretty close to a guaranteed gtfo option.