What's new

Match-up Discussion POST PATCH: Discussion Smokes new tier positioning

kandehbar

The Gryphon
With the new patch most of smokes bad match ups have been equalized to 5/5 IMO and now smoke had a chance at being top tier.
Even if the F4 reset is removed in another patch I truly doubt that it will change that fact that Smokes biggest threats hehave been taken down a notch.

Smoke changes - ONLY A PARRY GLITCH WAS REMOVED SO THAT MEANS HE IS STILL THE SAME. The patch notes did mention how ever that you can get a block jump in punch to throw attempt BUT stings were virtually unaffected. So this means we are all good

Threats
Sub Zero Buffs kinda scare me now that freeze last 10 MORE FRAMES ON HIT we will se a lot of subzeros stand on top of ice clones and chuck ice balls. we will also see EX slide combo into a set ice clone become more viable.................. BEWARE
->Cyrax - lost his 80% reset gimmics but was given a safe overhead saw. That will be something to remeber
->Raiden - well we will ALOT of ex Teleports since its invinsible but for the most part i think this is ok
->Kabal - His crazy dash canceling pressure has been nerfed a little but this match is now a 5/5
->Reptile - Dash is punishable but most good Reptiles only dash to get in. Ex slide wont really do much since smoke bomb was already unuseable in this match. IMO I think this is still Smokes worst matchup.

NEW THREATS
->Jax - Well now he has new over heads his mix up game has increase two fold. This might become a crazy match just because how C.viper like jax is. On a softer note he did lose some of his Gotcha strings since there not safe no more but be wary of this match
->Jade - WAKE UP FLASH IS GOD........ with jades best entry string becomeing staff we will see ALOT of wake Flash/Glow and entry string. Her pole grab is also safe so be catious of using B2 at max range. TBH I think jade and smoke have both moved up to Borderline S = A+

Overview. Smoke Staying the same is probably the best thing for this patch because it seems this patch is now Promoting good footsies which smoke excels at IMO. Since smoke launch stings are safe we use that more AND USE SMOKE AWAY/TOWARD on blocked stings now. I cant stress how much that move has become more important in this patch. Smoke away/toward on block strings WILL DEFINE smokes footsies now

Altsa

All in all the patch was very good for Smoke. He did not get nerfed (not counting the universal jip throw thingy) and the resets are still in (for now atleast).

About the matchups, Sub-zero will most likely now win every iceVSsmoke projectile trade so we have to watch out for that. Jax is veeeery scary. Nerfs to top characters (KL Raiden Cyrax Reptile ) do help alot, atleast on paper. Those Jade buffs are actually pretty laughable for being a "big secet", she still has no change against Smoke. My personal opinion of Smokes harder matchups are Reptile, Mileena, Cage and Jax.

hardwire

Noob
someone told me smoke still have chance get a buff
its not very likly with how much every one talks about him being the most ballenced

when they get some one right they try not to through it off

if we want a buff we need to start complaining that smoke cant get a job done (aka his slow normals)

with all the armor being thrown around i would love smoke to get armor on his ex tp punch (its annoying to get thrown out of it or poked out of it and you waist that meter)

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Tom Brady said:
a hot fix coming in the near future will remove smoke's resets so he will not remain the same.
thank god, cause smoke did need that to be honest

Also tom, man your avatar....wut the heck is that? that like Beta X ray? ....so awsm

hardwire

Noob
Tom Brady said:
a hot fix coming in the near future will remove smoke's resets so he will not remain the same.

why must you alwase be the bearer of bad news man

i try to support you and talk down to the haters but any time you come in my mains its to tell us our major damage is about to take a hit and make us a kitten again :(

Altsa

Tom Brady said:
Is there any info HOW they will do it? Can Smoke still throw EN smokebomb after airthrow for 10% unblockable damage? F+4 string stays/is removed? Can Smoke do EN smokebomb after F+4 for 10% unblockable damage without the bomb reseting the combo?

hardwire

Noob
Is there any info HOW they will do it? Can Smoke still throw EN smokebomb after airthrow for 10% unblockable damage? F+4 string stays/is removed? Can Smoke do EN smokebomb after F+4 for 10% unblockable damage without the bomb reseting the combo?
i think if they can take the otg away but still allow a 10% ender with out a pop up they will be able to remove the reset with out taking the 10% buff away

the reset probly happend because the state they were in during the roll was not correct (aka grounded vs airborn) so they will probably do somthing along thows lines to make sure no one else can reset off it as well.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Well regardless of the resets being removed i dont think that would change his positioning much he pretty balanced

I dont think EX smoke away/toward really needs it needs complete invinisbilty if it were a wake up move but on wake up its fine. TBH wake up is the only time you really need to use Ex smoke away/towards

And plus he didnt need that reset anyway he really "needs" for like guaranted 40% damage is that low air thorw to otg smoke bomb which is mk2 costume can do. If that was universal and they dont nerf his damage like they do for that costume then smoke would need NOTHING else, I can deal with slow ass normals since he has the fastest over head in the game and 2 safe launch strings

Sid is a scrub

i heard you like mudkipz
Smoke is still a very balanced character even without the reset, wich I almost never used. Smoke has still pretty good match-ups besides Repile and Raiden. Hopefully he will become used more often or even a tourny won with him :)

Apock

Noob
its not very likly with how much every one talks about him being the most ballenced

when they get some one right they try not to through it off

if we want a buff we need to start complaining that smoke cant get a job done (aka his slow normals)

with all the armor being thrown around i would love smoke to get armor on his ex tp punch (its annoying to get thrown out of it or poked out of it and you waist that meter)

yea.. balanced. "ok ok, we give him 17 frame's start up's teleport and 15 frame's start up normals, coz tps looks soooo fast, rotfl.

?

he already has that
No he doesnt, he receives hits if people time it really well( or get lucky). its not invinsible and does not have armor. I think smoke away/towards is his best tool, because its basically the one thing that is unique about him, its so nice to troll JC players by smoking behind them while they are still doing their strings and then throw a smoke bomb. I like how he is a hit and run character that will annoy the hell out of people

smoke tier

first of all ,wtf on that comment about smoke being top 10

Smoke will stay mid tier, a lot of characters have received buffs while he hasnt. the thing about smoke is, the guy doesnt have a general threat, but if you make mistakes he will punish them