What's new

[Popular opinion] Smoke / Noob Saibot / Rain all sell far more copies of the games than Cassie Cage.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I used my three favorites as an example.

The actual point is the question of Cassie Cage (or any meh-character) getting time, money and other resources put into them instead of fan favorites, which would please more fans. I have legit not seen even one single positive comment about Sonya Blade making it into the roster. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of people complaining. Does that cover the vast majority of the players? Well, in Sonya Blades example probably not, since she is fairly iconic... but Cassie is not. Neither is Kung Jin and neither is Jacqui.

Then there are the people, who think that "casuals don't care about old fan favorites ninjas and other cool characters". We were all casuals back in the day, before we witnessed some of the great MK characters and established them as our favorites. It doesn't matter if someone knows Smoke right now or not... The point is, that if you give them two games: one with Smoke and without Cassie and then one without Smoke and with Cassie... chances are probably very high, that they'll end up preferring Smoke. He has so much more style than Cassie. And the same can be said for so many other characters, which might remain in character limbo, because Cassie took their place.
you basically made the argument that new characters shouldn't exist.

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
I used my three favorites as an example.

The actual point is the question of Cassie Cage (or any meh-character) getting time, money and other resources put into them instead of fan favorites, which would please more fans. I have legit not seen even one single positive comment about Sonya Blade making it into the roster. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of people complaining. Does that cover the vast majority of the players? Well, in Sonya Blades example probably not, since she is fairly iconic... but Cassie is not. Neither is Kung Jin and neither is Jacqui.

Then there are the people, who think that "casuals don't care about old fan favorites ninjas and other cool characters". We were all casuals back in the day, before we witnessed some of the great MK characters and established them as our favorites. It doesn't matter if someone knows Smoke right now or not... The point is, that if you give them two games: one with Smoke and without Cassie and then one without Smoke and with Cassie... chances are probably very high, that they'll end up preferring Smoke. He has so much more style than Cassie. And the same can be said for so many other characters, which might remain in character limbo, because Cassie took their place.
I'm admittedly bias, but I'm way more likely to buy a game featuring Cassie than one without her.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Smoke's a boring ass personality who did nothing in the story of MK9 besides start some fights for no reason and look for Sub.

The coolest thing about him (in my opinion) was his name change to Enenra in MKX.

Cassie was stylish, funny, and beats Smoke in the personality department by a mile. She was flashy and entertaining and definitely a fan favorite. Stop with the lies cause we already know that Noob and Rain in the game you can relax.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
Eh, you could make the argument that they’ve never sold a copy at all. I get that everyone wants their favorites back but we have to move past UMK3 at some point.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
"popular opinion: I'm factually correct about something that's not possible to be correct about. Everyone likes what I like and no one likes what I don't. Why isn't everyone just agreeing with me?"

I like noob and smoke too but I also like cassie. Calm down and think harder before hitting post please, also just try to get some perspective.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Obviously I am going to get any MK no matter the roster but I do agree in a way. For example if there was a Kombat Pack with Smoke/Noob/Rain vs a pack with lets say....Kano/Jax/Sonya/Cage, im buying the first one, possibly might not even bother with the second one tbh.

That's not to say I don't like them, its just we have had them so much over the years and I would be ok with them sitting out for characters we haven't gotten to play as as much.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Cassie isn't a bad character but she's way too new to be considered as cool as any of the ninjas....

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Actually I'd say Cassie is fairly popular.

It would've made more sense to have her in and have Johnny and Sonya both sit this one out. She turned into the god warrior like her dad at the end of MKX anyway. Let her take over.

Then you'd have 2 free spots for whoever else. And if you lose kano since his rivals are out, that frees up a spot for a new rival for Cassie.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Just want to say that I noticed some people will use the "well MK X sold more than MK 9" argument, but that doesn't mean the game is better. MK 9 was received much better overall from the fans(regardless of kind of fan or player) and to me this is like saying "well this movie did better at the box office and loved by RT more than that movie" but all this proves is a movie is more trendy than the other, it doesn't necessarily define which one is better. A prime example of this is TDK vs. Avengers, nuff said.
"MKX sold more copies than MK9" doesn't win the argument over which game is better, no.

It does however point out how completely 100% baseless OP's claim is that Noob/Smoke/Rain sell better than Cassie.

MKF30

"MKX sold more copies than MK9" doesn't win the argument over which game is better, no.

It does however point out how completely 100% baseless OP's claim is that Noob/Smoke/Rain sell better than Cassie.
Perhaps, and vice versa...I think it's stupid for any feminist like posts in general to be taken seriously, especially now with the ridiculous "gillette" nonsense. I agree that no character choices decide sales of a game(as MK X had honestly a few cool newer characters) but it's no secret that not everyone new was received well regardless of gender, relations etc I would say however just based off tradition and history, I would wager an MK game with most of the ninjas vs. no to little ninjas would not be a wise decision. Despite putting Cassie in or not.

kevkopdx

Noob
Perhaps, and vice versa...I think it's stupid for any feminist like posts in general to be taken seriously, especially now with the ridiculous "gillette" nonsense. I agree that no character choices decide sales of a game(as MK X had honestly a few cool newer characters) but it's no secret that not everyone new was received well regardless of gender, relations etc I would say however just based off tradition and history, I would wager an MK game with most of the ninjas vs. no to little ninjas would not be a wise decision. Despite putting Cassie in or not.
Ummmm huh?? What does feminism, gender and Gillette suddenly have to do with this topic?

MKF30

To the nooby Neon dude who didn't get my point, called an analogy. Makes lots of sense actually. Have you seen the things people worry about regarding characters on the internet?

Not your post, sorry I should have specified that. I meant threads that attract the wrong kind of attention.

Ummmm huh?? What does feminism, gender and Gillette suddenly have to do with this topic?
Have you read some of the posts in the topic or on female characters in FG? Just saying that topics where people focus on characters(not so much on here thankfully) but you know want a character due to those topics. Like for example though, if someone says "cassie sucks" like I have on YT a lot people will go off on that stuff. But anyway, all of that aside I think I'll go with my initial post, Cassie is still way too new to make a difference of whether she impacts an MK game's sales, the ninjas however are legendary in MK lore.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I admit that when Reptile became a permanent lizard-man, my interest severely decreased. I loved his human form being a disguise. That alone made him so much more interesting.
That's how most people feel about him, that's why his mk9 identity has been the most popular in the next-gen, according to polls.
Again anecdotal sadly, don't have the links anymore.

As for the OP, I don't know just how popular Cassie is but I'm sure it's comparable to Ermac at least.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Very similar to the idea of guest characters, you have to understand that they aren't just marketing to MK fans. I think that was the entire point of the Kombat Kids, to attract younger audiences who don't have the nostalgia for MK or maybe just people who never paid attention to it.

All said, I desperately hope we get all three of those.(Rain=Noob>Smoke) I'm predicting that Noob will be a DLC character, I'm getting the vibe that he'll miss main roster which wouldn't make sense for such a seemingly popular and high demanded character but the fix for that is to make him that big fan demand character for the first wave of DLC like Red Hood or Tremor.