What's new

[Popular opinion] Smoke / Noob Saibot / Rain all sell far more copies of the games than Cassie Cage.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Okay, for the sake of the argument... Let's say that neither Smoke, nor Noob Saibot nor Rain end up in the roster at any point. They simply sit this game out. Them, or any other major fan favorite characters.
Even though all these characters would sell more copies of the game than Cassie Cage. There is no doubt in my mind about that. You know it's true.

Which begs the question: Why does a ResidentSleeper character like Cassie Cage get a spot over fan favorites? NRS would please more fans and make more money, if they dropped Cassie and used her spot for a more interesting character.

Like, look at all the interest and hype Skarlet created. Where the reactions to Cassie were like: "Oh. Well, look, I guess Cassie will be playable, I guess."

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I doubt it would effect anything. The vast majority of people are going to buy the game regardless of the roster. I mean we all like a cool roster, but if Noob is not in it.. the game will still sell just as well.

In fact your thinking actually makes it sound like it is a better idea to put them as dlc.. as people kinda buy the base game regardless, but dlc is bought just on the popularity of the new Kombatants

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Sadly, only hardcore fans who will buy the game anyway care about these characters. The other millions of people hardly care (or even know these characters), so they're the ones that need to be marketed to the hardest.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
In these way or not there is a certain thing like we will play MK11 and the all other MK games which had released at the past or haven't released yet. Being a Mortal Kombat fan is a thing like that. Everyone is right who commented here. Ninjas could be important for the old fans like me but looks like everyone wants buy MK11 with or without ninjas for a strong reason. Actually we have no ''without ninjas'' option there because we always have Scorpion, Sub-Zero and few more additions.

RoninLoganX

The Masterless Sword
Rain, Smoke, and Noob Saibot may be fan favorites, but judging by what I've seen, so is Cassie, even if she is a relatively new character. And, I for one am ecstatic to see her in the game. If she wasn't that would put a serious harsh on my hype for the game, can't really say the same for Rain, Smoke, or Noob though.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Just want to say that I noticed some people will use the "well MK X sold more than MK 9" argument, but that doesn't mean the game is better. MK 9 was received much better overall from the fans(regardless of kind of fan or player) and to me this is like saying "well this movie did better at the box office and loved by RT more than that movie" but all this proves is a movie is more trendy than the other, it doesn't necessarily define which one is better. A prime example of this is TDK vs. Avengers, nuff said.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Not sure about Rain, he doesn't really win polls.
Last I checked, and do mind that this is anecdotal because I don't have the link, the popularity of ninjas goes:

Scorpion ties with Subzero for first.
Ermac is third.
Reptile fourth, he's a niche character while the top three are always popular. Reptile is less popular since he became a lizard than in mk2 when him being a lizard was more of a backdrop by the way.
Noob at some point was a bit more popular and might be since the top three were in every game while Noob went missing.
Smoke, oddly enough, is also niche and his popularity was based on his tier placement rather than overall sell factor.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Wasn't Cassie a fan favorite? Because I'm pretty sure she was pretty popular among the masses due to her ballbusting X-Ray alone.

Don't try and get petty because you don't think your fav is gonna be in. Even though all of the signs are pointing to their inclusion. This thread is pointless.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Don't try and get petty because you don't think your fav is gonna be in. Even though all of the signs are pointing to their inclusion. This thread is pointless.
I used my three favorites as an example.

The actual point is the question of Cassie Cage (or any meh-character) getting time, money and other resources put into them instead of fan favorites, which would please more fans. I have legit not seen even one single positive comment about Sonya Blade making it into the roster. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of people complaining. Does that cover the vast majority of the players? Well, in Sonya Blades example probably not, since she is fairly iconic... but Cassie is not. Neither is Kung Jin and neither is Jacqui.

Then there are the people, who think that "casuals don't care about old fan favorites ninjas and other cool characters". We were all casuals back in the day, before we witnessed some of the great MK characters and established them as our favorites. It doesn't matter if someone knows Smoke right now or not... The point is, that if you give them two games: one with Smoke and without Cassie and then one without Smoke and with Cassie... chances are probably very high, that they'll end up preferring Smoke. He has so much more style than Cassie. And the same can be said for so many other characters, which might remain in character limbo, because Cassie took their place.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
"Smoke has so much more style than Cassie" is just a deranged statement lmao. What is identifiable or interesting about Smoke's personality? He has some cool moves, I guess, but Cassie is practically the definition of stylish. She was very well-received by the general public for a reason.