What's new

Pokemon X and Y - Discussion/Friend Code Exchange

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Man how do people have such a hard time dealing with legendaries? Let a keldeo come get bodied by my venusaur or even my sylveon. Let a comesay hello to my starmie, yeah i said starmie, itll mess up a thundurus too. Guys if you arent carrying ice fix yer teams, it messes up every single genie, zapdos, garchomp, just way too many viable pokes.. People are also underestimating how good grass is this gen. Seriously legendaries aren't even the problem this gen, it's aegislash and megazard x. They must be stopped.
it isn't about dealing with them.

I just think it would break the meta up a bit. It gets old dealing with teams like this... because the point was so that you didn't have to have a SINGLE hard counter to each one.
Plus legendaries are pretty freaking lame.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
The issue is this...right now a very high percentage of teams in OU are running Landorus, because quite frankly he is one versatile pokemon.

Landorus by itself is fine...but most are accompanied by heatran, Thundurus, Keldeo, or even all three.

OU is becoming mini Ubers.

I will most likely just play in UU, but it sucks since many of my favourite pokes cannot be used there.

@Joker8417 If you can't switch against it, it's not a counter. Greninja only counters when it's a free switch in. If it has to absorb landorus's stab to do so, it's going to die.

It requires a Special ice attacker to take down, or you are just going to get u-turned all day...the fact that it's psychics and other special moves do bullshit damage doesn't help it either.

They are just way to versatile. As I said, once you get past 1300 on the OU ladder every team has the genies...it makes no sense not to as they outclass every other pokemon in the meta. Greninja will kill them if it gets to go first, but if it is switching in it's going to get wallopped.

It's why Talonflame is so brutal. Not many pokes can reliably switch in against it and live, and even when they do, they have to absorb another attack from it.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
The issue is this...right now a very high percentage of teams in OU are running Landorus, because quite frankly he is one versatile pokemon.

Landorus by itself is fine...but most are accompanied by heatran, Thundurus, Keldeo, or even all three.

OU is becoming mini Ubers.

I will most likely just play in UU, but it sucks since many of my favourite pokes cannot be used there.

@Joker8417 If you can't switch against it, it's not a counter. Greninja only counters when it's a free switch in. If it has to absorb landorus's stab to do so, it's going to die.

It requires a Special ice attacker to take down, or you are just going to get u-turned all day...the fact that it's psychics and other special moves do bullshit damage doesn't help it either.

They are just way to versatile. As I said, once you get past 1300 on the OU ladder every team has the genies...it makes no sense not to as they outclass every other pokemon in the meta. Greninja will kill them if it gets to go first, but if it is switching in it's going to get wallopped.

It's why Talonflame is so brutal. Not many pokes can reliably switch in against it and live, and even when they do, they have to absorb another attack from it.
Landorus is versatile yes, but so is t-tar. T-tar is everywhere and super bulky? Why are we not screaming for a T-Tar ban? He is every bit as good as landorus or thundurus. Its because he has weaknesses. Just like the others, which is my point. Just because you choose to leave your water and ice at home doesnt mean landorus should be banned. Also it isnt just special ice, physical ice kills him too so long as it isnt ice shard. greninja is a counter. Just because it cant safely switch in doesnt mean it isnt a counter. Unless landorus is scarfed it cant touch greninja. You would never switch him into a stab. Gyarados is another counter to him, as well as skarmory. These conversations always end up sounding like you want him gone because he has more than one use, which is the case for a lot of Pokemon in the tier. Greninja, Tyranitar,Charizard, Aegislash, sylveon,Infernape, and so many others have many purposes that they serve I can do different things. why is it that we should just get rid of 2 or 3 pokemon in the meta because they're legendary and have more than 1 purpose.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Landorus is versatile yes, but so is t-tar. T-tar is everywhere and super bulky? Why are we not screaming for a T-Tar ban? He is every bit as good as landorus or thundurus. Its because he has weaknesses. Just like the others, which is my point. Just because you choose to leave your water and ice at home doesnt mean landorus should be banned. Also it isnt just special ice, physical ice kills him too so long as it isnt ice shard. greninja is a counter. Just because it cant safely switch in doesnt mean it isnt a counter. Unless landorus is scarfed it cant touch greninja. You would never switch him into a stab. Gyarados is another counter to him, as well as skarmory. These conversations always end up sounding like you want him gone because he has more than one use, which is the case for a lot of Pokemon in the tier. Greninja, Tyranitar,Charizard, Aegislash, sylveon,Infernape, and so many others have many purposes that they serve I can do different things. why is it that we should just get rid of 2 or 3 pokemon in the meta because they're legendary and have more than 1 purpose.
Swords dance Ice shard Stab would probably kill. ;)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
it isn't about dealing with them.

I just think it would break the meta up a bit. It gets old dealing with teams like this... because the point was so that you didn't have to have a SINGLE hard counter to each one.
Plus legendaries are pretty freaking lame.
I dont think it's a terrible idea as far as what you are proposing, but I don't think it would help the meta either. I have zero trouble with landorus and thundurus and Idont have greninja as much as i talk about him being the solutions. There are plenty of ways to deal with them.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
One thing that will probably help is running something with Knock off. Getting rid of items helps so fucking much. No leftovers/vest/berry/etc. Makes it easier to deal with some legendaries. Of run Cloyster. He has good defense Stats. rock blast and the 5 hitting ice move to deal with both land and tornado dude. You can run kings rock build and white herb build. Shell smash is really good. So i mean ya.

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
I am not really updated on the meta. But it seems to me the way you describe Greninja in the matchup between Greninja and Landorus is a check, not a counter.

Being a counter would imply that the pokemon beats the other in pretty much every scenario, given that you not have very little hit points left. A check is a pokemon who has advantage, but does not flat out beats it. So since Greninja cannot survive a switch in, I would say that he (Greninja is a he to me) is a check :)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Landorus Outspeeds Gyrados dude, as I said, if you can't switch in and kill it the next turn, it's not a counter.

Greninja can't switch in and live against basically any of his moves except for psychic,

Gyarados can switch in on an earth power, but if it's physical and packs stone edge good luck.

The fact of the matter is, Landorus is too fast, too bulky, and too strong. He also cuts all physical attackers down which makes him even harder to kill.

There is a reason why everyone on Smogon is reccomending him for all teams...he is fucking good. Too good.

Also, Tyranitar is Strong, and bulky but slow as fuck.

Charizard is strong, and bulky,but requires a mega and cannot get any hp recovery outside of teamates due to not being able to hold an item.

Aegislash has two glaring COMMON weaknesses

Infernape is fast and strong, but frail as fuck...same with Greninja.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I am not really updated on the meta. But it seems to me the way you describe Greninja in the matchup between Greninja and Landorus is a check, not a counter.

Being a counter would imply that the pokemon beats the other in pretty much every scenario, given that you not have very little hit points left. A check is a pokemon who has advantage, but does not flat out beats it. So since Greninja cannot survive a switch in, I would say that he (Greninja is a he to me) is a check :)
In that since greninja doesnt counter anything, like at all. Just because something cant switch into an attack or doesnt want to doesnt mean it cant counter something. Greninja is a revenge killer/late game sweeper, not a wall lol.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
In that since greninja doesnt counter anything, like at all. Just because something cant switch into an attack or doesnt want to doesnt mean it cant counter something. Greninja is a revenge killer/late game sweeper, not a wall lol.
Greninja is not a counter to Landorus. He cannot get in on him 1v1 unless Landorus takes out a poke or you make a godlike psychic read. Not many pokes can switch in on landorus and take him out man.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Landorus Outspeeds Gyrados dude, as I said, if you can't switch in and kill it the next turn, it's not a counter.

Greninja can't switch in and live against basically any of his moves except for psychic,

Gyarados can switch in on an earth power, but if it's physical and packs stone edge good luck.

The fact of the matter is, Landorus is too fast, too bulky, and too strong. He also cuts all physical attackers down which makes him even harder to kill.

There is a reason why everyone on Smogon is reccomending him for all teams...he is fucking good. Too good.

Also, Tyranitar is Strong, and bulky but slow as fuck.

Charizard is strong, and bulky,but requires a mega and cannot get any hp recovery outside of teamates due to not being able to hold an item.

Aegislash has two glaring COMMON weaknesses

Infernape is fast and strong, but frail as fuck...same with Greninja.
Gyarados CANNOT be okhod by landorus point blank. It's slower but is also bulky, you dont need speed to kill it. To say that aegislash's weaknesses are common but landorus' arent is ridiculous. I think he is fine. He isnt that fast and you highly overestimate his bulk, he is versatile for sure, but tons of stuff is. Again, there is more to countering something than just walling it. Greninja isnt a wall we know this, in this sense he would be a revenge killer.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Gyarados CANNOT be okhod by landorus point blank. It's slower but is also bulky, you dont need speed to kill it. To say that aegislash's weaknesses are common but landorus' arent is ridiculous. I think he is fine. He isnt that fast and you highly overestimate his bulk, he is versatile for sure, but tons of stuff is. Again, there is more to countering something than just walling it. Greninja isnt a wall we know this, in this sense he would be a revenge killer.
Special Landorus - 94% chance to 2hko with sludge wave. 56% chance to 2hko with psychic.

Physical Landorus - Guaranteed 2hko with stone edge.

Gyrados needs two ice fangs to put down Landorus after being intimidated.

He cannot switch in on landorus, and if he does, Landorus gets a u-turn for free.

Even the fully stabbed waterfall cannot kill Landorus in one hit...with no damage penalty due to intimidate.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Greninja is not a counter to Landorus. He cannot get in on him 1v1 unless Landorus takes out a poke or you make a godlike psychic read. Not many pokes can switch in on landorus and take him out man.
If you want things that can wall it then still kill it fine. They are there, you just dont run them:

Azumarill, latios, latias, keldeo, garchomp, scizor, gyarados, rotom-W, Manaphy

These are just off the top of my head.

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
Well, that is how the general definition of checks and counters are. Counter: A Pokemon that beats all or most variations of another Pokemon. Capable of Switching in easily. Check: A Pokemon that can impede another Pokemon's sweep or stall cycle, but may not always win if the opponent carries a certain move. This can also apply to moves or hazards.

I am certain that Greninja flat out counters some pokemon. As you say, he is a revenge killer/late game sweeper. Wouldn`t he be able to take hits from certain walls and survive, yet kill them after?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
If you want things that can wall it then still kill it fine. They are there, you just dont run them:

Azumarill, latios, latias, keldeo, garchomp, scizor, gyarados, rotom-W, Manaphy

These are just off the top of my head.
Azumarill is not a wall.

Sludge wave destroys it. and aqua jet is not going to kill it in one hit.

Will it force a switch? Probably, but if it's switching in half of it's life is going away.

If Landorus is at full health, it's going to die.

Garchomp cannot switch in on landorus and survive the second attack.

Scizor cannot switch in on Landorus and survive the second attack.

Gyrados cannot survive the second attack (unless he switches in on earthpower/quake)

Rotom is a counter I believe.

I don't think Manaphy can survive two hits on a switch in.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Special Landorus - 94% chance to 2hko with sludge wave. 56% chance to 2hko with psychic.

He cannot switch in on landorus, and if he does, Landorus gets a u-turn for free.

Even the fully stabbed waterfall cannot kill Landorus in one hit...with no damage penalty due to intimidate.
Ok so is switching in or getting intinidated by a lando switch in. You have to pick one here. are we talking lnaodrus t or landorus? That another thing. If lando is switching in why arent you dding?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Ok so is switching in or getting intinidated by a lando switch in. You have to pick one here. are we talking lnaodrus t or landorus? That another thing. If lando is switching in why arent you dding?

I am examining your counters.

That means Lando T is out on the field.

You are switching in against Lando T.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
@TakeAChance Mega scizor is the scizor im referring to and he absolutely can eat those hits, as for azu this is where we need to establish whivh landorus you are talking about because t will never run sludge wave and he can aqua jet i for free. Landorus can effectively hit garchomp with anything and he gets outsped by jolly in i form. Manaphycan live and outspeed depending on the form.

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
Man, why dont we all just use Raticate? It is known far and wide within the realm of Pokemon that Raticate is simply the god of pokemon, and outshines everyone who dares to face up against it. Raticate created Arceus........