What's new

Pokemon X and Y - Discussion/Friend Code Exchange

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I have some Jolly Bisharp with Defiant, Sucker Punch and Psycho Cut, Adamant Rufflet with Hustle (becomes Braviary with Defiant), Timid Roselia with Leaf Guard (becomes Roserade with Technician), Timid Vulpix with Drought, Adamant Charmander with DD and Outrage, Adamant Starly with Reckless and Modest Poliwhirl with Swift Swim (becomes Drizzle with Politoed). I'm down to share if you want one

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
They both essentially do the same thing. Starraptor just hits harder, where Talon Flame hits faster/priority.
The thing that really seperates them is their movepools. If you want to use the pokes specifically for flying type moves, then Talonflame is the way to go. However, if yer team lacks fighting type moves, then Staraptor comes in handy for CC. They both serve the same role on a team, but depending on what your team needs you could use one over the other.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
The thing that really seperates them is their movepools. If you want to use the pokes specifically for flying type moves, then Talonflame is the way to go. However, if yer team lacks fighting type moves, then Staraptor comes in handy for CC. They both serve the same role on a team, but depending on what your team needs you could use one over the other.
I disagree.

Reckless + Life Orb = 120 + 30% +30% Boosted STAB Bravebirds
The close combat is great for coverage

Starraptor is just better at not getting completely walled by some things...like Rotom-W.

Double Edge on Starraptor is terrifying.

Talonflame just comes in handy for the priority. No matter how far a poke has boosted (like a d-dancer) it can usually get in the bravebird to dent it.

matterovermind

mindundermatter
They both essentially do the same thing. Starraptor just hits harder, where Talon Flame hits faster/priority.
I like Intimidate with Staraptor, however I also like Priority Tailwind with Talonflame when you're about to die. Depends what your team can benefit from, because you're right, they're about the same otherwise.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I disagree.

Reckless + Life Orb = 120 + 30% +30% Boosted STAB Bravebirds
The close combat is great for coverage

Starraptor is just better at not getting completely walled by some things...like Rotom-W.

Double Edge on Starraptor is terrifying.

Talonflame just comes in handy for the priority. No matter how far a poke has boosted (like a d-dancer) it can usually get in the bravebird to dent it.
Banded Talonflame might not hit as hard, but the thing is it is always a threat. Not only does it have the priority, but it's base speed is 126, and there aren't many pokes that are going to get that fast. On top of that, fully invested with an Adamant nature and a choice band, even with a difference in base attacks he is still going to hurt way more than you want him to hurt you. Life orb Staraptor is only scary if he hits' first, which is pretty much why he is always BL or just barely ever used in OU. His speed is mediocre along with his typing, and I don't ever really come across any that don't have scars because of it. He hits hard enough on his own he doesn't need the life orb boost. Talonflame can also provide Will-O-Wisp support if needed, as well as just U-turn on everything until it's time for him to stay in and brave bird everything to death. (Staraptor can do this too, but just not as easily as Talonflame) It's like I said it depends on what your team needs, but in all honesty if you just need him for brave bird there is no reason to not just use a banded Talonflame. It doesn't hit as hard, but why would you need to hit harder than 146 ATK (maximum potential attack at level 50) + 120 BP from brave bird and flare blitz+ 50% from the band and another 50% from STAB with +1 priority on on flying moves top of that?

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
There is a reason, and it's coverage.

You choice band your talonflame, and you are going to force it to switch fairly quickly. A lot of things wall it.

Life orbed Reckless Starraptor guarantees a lot of 1-2 hkos against pretty much everything. Very few things can contain it. It breaks walls. T-Tar cannot stop it, Rotom cannot stop it on a switch...very few things can switch into it and live/not get crippled.

Talon Flame has a lot more checks, and can't break through walls as easily as starraptor can.

The prevalancy of Rotom-W, Heatran, and others really hurts Talon...

I don't know..I go back and forth tho. I really like the will-o-whisp support Talonflame can supply.

I also like catching people off guard by using a 252 HP 252 Attack Swords Dance/Roost set lol

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
There is a reason, and it's coverage.

You choice band your talonflame, and you are going to force it to switch fairly quickly. A lot of things wall it.

Life orbed Reckless Starraptor guarantees a lot of 1-2 hkos against pretty much everything. Very few things can contain it. It breaks walls. T-Tar cannot stop it, Rotom cannot stop it on a switch...very few things can switch into it and live/not get crippled.

Talon Flame has a lot more checks, and can't break through walls as easily as starraptor can.

The prevalancy of Rotom-W, Heatran, and others really hurts Talon...

I don't know..I go back and forth tho. I really like the will-o-whisp support Talonflame can supply.

I also like catching people off guard by using a 252 HP 252 Attack Swords Dance/Roost set lol
I wasn't disagreeing about the coverage. I said strictly from a standpoint of needing flying moves on your team, talonflame is the way to go hands down. Again, it just depends on the needs of your team. The only thing I need my talonfalme for is pivoting, revenge killing, and late game sweeping. I have Will-O-Wisp instead of roost just in case I need that support for something like Aegislash or something. Banding him doesn't really hurt him as much as you'd think. If you send him in know they are about to throw in a Heatran, zapdos or Rotom then you just U-turn out and send in the counter. It's different if you are coming off of a revenge kill, but hey that's why you have 5 other pokes to help you out. Staraptor can have the coverage, but with a life orb it's going to suffer a lot more at the hands of things like scarfchomp, scarfernape, scarfcadrill and a lot of other sweeper/wallbreakers that can hurt really badly and are very VERY common in the OU metagame. I'm not saying to not use Staraptor because he's a very good poke, I'm just saying if you are going to use it just for brave bird, then don't...pick Fawkes lol.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I wasn't disagreeing about the coverage. I said strictly from a standpoint of needing flying moves on your team, talonflame is the way to go hands down. Again, it just depends on the needs of your team. The only thing I need my talonfalme for is pivoting, revenge killing, and late game sweeping. I have Will-O-Wisp instead of roost just in case I need that support for something like Aegislash or something. Banding him doesn't really hurt him as much as you'd think. If you send him in know they are about to throw in a Heatran, zapdos or Rotom then you just U-turn out and send in the counter. It's different if you are coming off of a revenge kill, but hey that's why you have 5 other pokes to help you out. Staraptor can have the coverage, but with a life orb it's going to suffer a lot more at the hands of things like scarfchomp, scarfernape, scarfcadrill and a lot of other sweeper/wallbreakers that can hurt really badly and are very VERY common in the OU metagame. I'm not saying to not use Staraptor because he's a very good poke, I'm just saying if you are going to use it just for brave bird, then don't...pick Fawkes lol.
Agreed lol