What's new

General/Other - Ermac Pointless Ermac

Nausea

Soul Ascended
I have got to laugh at all these so called Ermac mains dropping him. I laugh with no disrespect inferred though! It's more like one of those " am I going insane?!" laughs.There will be a GIF somewhere @Scott The Scot you are the man for GIF's I hear? :p

Anyways I laugh maniacally because the sheer thought of dropping Ermac as my main cannot be comprehended. Some of his moves are terribly negative and unsafe sure, but, it doesn't stop them from being made safer to attempt by good spacing, footsies and even zoning. (I like to use a quick DDU3 to hop projectiles and force a kind of spam/rushdown/JIP from the opponent and when there's a gap punish accordingly.) Master of Souls to me is everything I've ever looked for in an Ermac. I can rushdown like a nutjob or keep my patience, play some footsies and find my gap. D3 is deadly. Condition you opponent to expect a D3 and stuff them with a F4 and it's go time from there as you all may know! He has 50/50 options/Vortex/High Damage/Corner Game so the reward > risk is still much greater. Don't get me wrong though, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP's 3 points but those aren't good enough reasons (for me at least) to not stick it out and see what the future holds as an Ermac main. Obviously there are a few things I would change if it was upto me lol

Across all Variations.
-Cancelable DB4 at the cost of half stamina.
-DB1 to have a sight push back on block.
-B2 to have more than one hit when charged/Armour break.

I could go on but we all know where that ends up. Spectral is my 2nd pick out of the 3 and it's only because it's mega fun. There are still lots to fix in Spectral but for now, I'll keep searching for tech & set-ups! Mystic you will never see me pick and this is a weird one because it reminds me the most of MK9 Ermac. I. Just. Can't. With MOS & Spectral doing what it does, Mystic just seems completely irrelevant to me. The Tele-Hang just stops play moving, damage is weak, terrible EX off his BF2. It really does need a new move or something but again, this be my view!

I love Ermac. He could be wherever anyone wants to put him on a tier list but he will be my main till the next MK comes out. He could use improvement but who couldn't? (No Quan's Intended). The game isn't even a year old yet as well, I believe the future is bright for Ermac and MKX as a whole. :)

Last edited:

insignis

Noob
I always wondered how NRS meetings a held. They should have beend high and drunk to agree on moves like b2. Many characters have "filler moves" for some reason.

And I said it once but repeat again. QA at NRS sucks. "We fixed mids,"- no, u didn't.

It took them so much time to figure out soul burst.

They still cannot figure out Spectral at all. Variation looks like they were like
- Let him fly
- And how will it be useful and compensate lack of soul ball and meterless lift?
- I don't care. Lets finish this shit. Oh, and add more pointless staff like 34 and f2d2. Lets start making Injustice 2.

zaf

professor
Most of the time when discussing "buffs" for characters, I bring up removing B2 as a buff. ( mainly as a joke, but if this was done I would not complain)

I would probably add the Vanish to that list. Not useful to avoid projectiles because its too slow on startup and recovery, plus the teleport deals with that. Also not useful to go through a move on a read for the same reason. I would like to know what was the design idea behind that move and what is the purpose of it. It looks like it was designed to be a gimmick which is kind of weird tbh.
From what I remember of the ermac reveal stream, he was able to do normals to cancel out of Vanish.
This was probably way to strong to be left in the game.

Some of his moves are terribly negative and unsafe sure, but, it doesn't stop them from being made safe by good spacing, footsies and even zoning. (I like to use a quick DDU3 to hop projectiles and force a kind of spam/rushdown/JIP from the opponent and when there's a gap punish accordingly.)
What do you mean by this ? Having a hard time understanding the part -- "Some of his moves are terribly negative and unsafe sure, but, it doesn't stop them from being made safe by good spacing"

Nausea

Soul Ascended
What do you mean by this ? Having a hard time understanding the part -- "Some of his moves are terribly negative and unsafe sure, but, it doesn't stop them from being made safe by good spacing"
I just mean with the likes of DB1/DB4 being negative, make them safer by giving yourself good spacing, footsies and in the case of MOS, zoning. He's never gonna be truly safe as is but with few tweaks to general GP, I've found him to be less risk more reward. :)

Last edited:

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I just mean with the likes of BF1/BF4 being negative, make them safer by giving yourself good spacing, footsies and in the case of MOS, zoning. He's never gonna be truly safe as is but with few tweaks to general GP, I've found him to be less risk more reward. :)
bf1/bf4?

What moves do you mean?

TamedLizard

Buff George
Yeah Ermac isn't terrible, but he's nothing really to boast about.

Which is a shame. One of my favorite MK characters. Agree with most points made here. I've been wanting to like Spectral a lot lately. It is a lot of fun, but the struggle is real.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
DB1 is unsafe with any spacing, as is DB4..... How can you space a teleport or anything -51?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Typo lol. Edited to DB1/DB4. Bit distracted with work. So inconvenient.... :p
Dude... what?

DB1 is -51. That will never be safe in MKX regardless of spacing against an opponent who is competent, and bd4 is a teleport that ignores spacing. How can these possibly be made safer?

Nausea

Soul Ascended
DB1 is unsafe with any spacing, as is DB4..... How can you space a teleport or anything -51?
It will never be safe. I'm trying to solidify the point that a good spacing game/good reads helps Ermac's more unsafe moves. (If you choose to use them.) If you are throwing them out in a neutral game obviously you will pay the price. The teleport is the same. Throw it out randomly and get punished.

Last edited:

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
It will never be safe. I'm trying to solidify the point that a good spacing game/good reads helps Ermac's more unsafe moves. Iif you choose to use them.) If you are throwing them out in a neutral game obviously you will pay the price. The teleport is the same. Throw it out randomly and get punished.
Spacing is irrelevant.

Lift either in combo or to punish.
Tele either on reaction to (most) projectiles or in combo.

Anything else is GGs, spacing doesn't matter one bit.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Spacing is irrelevant.

Spacing doesn't matter one bit.
Well it's helped my game. The more I practice my spacing game, the more consistent my GP feels. Obviously it's not the same for everyone but a bit of optimism towards your main dosen't hurt. I mostly use DB1, if spaced correctly, to halt rushdowns or in combo like you said. DB4 not so much but you can use your spacing game to connect a good AA and full punish/into vortex. DB4 is obviously used on reaction more than anything else but to say spacing is irrelevant seems a bit harsh tbh.

zaf

professor
I just mean with the likes of DB1/DB4 being negative, make them safer by giving yourself good spacing, footsies and in the case of MOS, zoning. He's never gonna be truly safe as is but with few tweaks to general GP, I've found him to be less risk more reward. :)
This makes no sense.
Like most people are saying... spacing doesnt make teleport safer. Same for Lift.

This is what I am saying.

It will never be safe. I'm trying to solidify the point that a good spacing game/good reads helps Ermac's more unsafe moves. (If you choose to use them.) If you are throwing them out in a neutral game obviously you will pay the price. The teleport is the same. Throw it out randomly and get punished.
Still not sure what you mean.. This makes no sense...

Spacing is irrelevant.
Anything else is GGs, spacing doesn't matter one bit.
^^ agreed

Well it's helped my game. The more I practice my spacing game, the more consistent my GP feels. Obviously it's not the same for everyone but a bit of optimism towards your main dosen't hurt. I mostly use DB1, if spaced correctly, to halt rushdowns or in combo like you said. DB4 not so much but you can use your spacing game to connect a good AA and full punish/into vortex. DB4 is obviously used on reaction more than anything else but to say spacing is irrelevant seems a bit harsh tbh.
So you mean to say that making a read makes teleport safe lol ?

Nausea

Soul Ascended
So you mean to say that making a read makes teleport safe lol ?
No. I've already stated it will never be safe. It can be made made safer to use is all i'm saying. (To reiterate, if you choose to even use it.) He has much better tools than these 2 moves for a decent spacing game i was only highlighting these 2 in particular due to the nature of this thread. If you don't agree can we leave it at that? I can't eloquently put into words on how I play Ermac. I just know for certain that since i've practiced a better spacing game I have had a bit more success.

Trying to space out opponents with a -51 move is never going to work. Especially in a game with run button and a myriad of advancing strings. For comparison, Mystic's telechoke is much less negative than that and still doesn't work.
You have a much better option in iA soul ball to try keep people at bay with much better reward for a catch.
Not even gonna argue with the teleport being safe on a read, the posts above say all...

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
No. I've already stated it will never be safe. It can be made made safer to use is all i'm saying. (To reiterate, if you choose to even use it.) He has much better tools than these 2 moves for a decent spacing game i was only highlighting these 2 in particular due to the nature of this thread. If you don't agree can we leave it at that? I can't eloquently put into words on how I play Ermac. I just know for certain that since i've practiced a better spacing game I have had a bit more success.
Dude how do you space teleport to make it safe to use? It hits them in the back no matter how good your spacing is they get full combo on block, practicing your spacing wont make teleport safer? Teleport and spacing game are opposite ends of the spectrum, can you at least try to put it in to words because Im completely screwing my mind trying to figure this one out.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Kenshis TF used to be -50+ and I used to be able to recover from ducking, run full screen and full combo punish him.

A lot of the time doesn't matter how close to max range you do it, you eat a punish, the move is booty.

Regardless, nerf Ermac

:DOGE

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Dude how do you space teleport to make it safe to use? It hits them in the back no matter how good your spacing is they get full combo on block, practicing your spacing wont make teleport safer? Teleport and spacing game are opposite ends of the spectrum, can you at least try to put it in to words because Im completely screwing my mind trying to figure this one out.
You don't space a teleport. You space the character. Give yourself an optimal distance to make a teleport safer to use by anticipating jump ins, projectiles, advancing strings etc. 2 of the moves in question are 2 of my least used moves which is quite funny. I'm just trying to remain as optimistic as possible with Ermac it seems....

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Nausea uses teleport not as a pressure or poking tool; but rather as a whiff punisher or combo extender. He sets up the whiff punish for the advancing string and teleports to punish it since it will lead to a combo and won't get stuffed from behind the opponent.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You don't space a teleport. You space the character. Give yourself an optimal distance to make a teleport safer to use by anticipating jump ins, projectiles, advancing strings etc. 2 of the moves in question are 2 of my least used moves which is quite funny. I'm just trying to remain as optimistic as possible with Ermac it seems....
Nah fuck it im out.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Nausea uses teleport not as a pressure or poking tool; but rather as a whiff punisher or combo extender. He sets up the whiff punish for the advancing string and teleports to punish it since it will lead to a combo and won't get stuffed from behind the opponent.
That's what his teleport is. A pressure or poking tool? What?

@Nausea I think there is confusion. The word 'safer' is the wrong word to use, regardless of whatever understanding of it anyone has. The teleport is punishable on block, simple as.

I think what you are referring to is the application of the move, although doing teleport in the neutral to whiff punish a move seems like a dodgey strategy.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Kenshis TF used to be -50+ and I used to be able to recover from ducking, run full screen and full combo punish him.

A lot of the time doesn't matter how close to max range you do it, you eat a punish, the move is booty.

Regardless, nerf Ermac

The move is guff. There is no denying it! Just saying that it can be used somewhat more efficiently as is just now until such times NRS buff him/it.

Nerf and Ermac together give me a nauseating feeling ironically. :DOGE

Yeah what this guys said! I think my optimism might be an unusual concept for Ermac players :p

zaf

professor

Regardless, nerf Ermac

Please no nerfs =[