What's new

PND Ketchups Lobo buff suggestions: Reasonable

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Yeah thats the only way Lobo can get a clear Advantage is when people dont know the MU soon as they suss him,,, prepare for Punishment City

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Did you know his low pumpshot isnt safe on block unless nuclear was messing around in practice and found that all pump shots seem relatively safe except his low. It has like no pushback whatsoever... IDK you guys are probably already aware.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
It's -6 if I recall, so they need a quick attack AND have to be frame perfect to punish. I've never been punished for doing it at he end of a string. The string pushes them back but, you are correct, the low shot has very little pushback. I do use it sparingly. I mostly use the mid shot for pressure.
I think the reason we didn't see any Lobos is the initial public opinion. One person said Lobo was bad, so the general public doesn't mess with him/experiment. What that did was stagnate his growth. By the time EVO rolls around, people don't have faith in their knowledge. Sure he has his weaknesses, but up close, his oki is insane.

Huh? Lobo does have a projectile. Pump shot isn't full screen true, but midscreen is where he should be anyway. I use it to keep Grundy at bay and it works pretty well as long as I am not predictable with it. He will be itching to WC through it, too, so it makes him stand there within Space Hook range a lot.

Lord Hollow

The Sage Of Michigan.
How does them "learning the match up" serve to definitely help them defeat Lobo? The variations he has from any number of strings are hard to deal with, whether they know the match up or not. Who's going to consistently backdash out of a block string - Czar toss?Lobo's offense can be fairly safe if done correctly, also. You mix up your pressure enough, it doesn't matter what they know about the match up.
He can apply safe pressure, but its just not as universal as "f+2,3, Mentos". Not to mention strings that allow czar toss on block, answers for most wake up options the opponent may have and great damage. He has the tools, they just arent universal options for a situation. He does take more work, but no one plays Lobo for the easy win anyway...

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Guys we need to be serious here, Lobo only has 4 more chances to potentially receive game changing buffs that could turn the tides in our favor. But if we don't sound off about this and he doesn't receive the buffs he needs, all hope is lost. I suggest we create a petition of some sort, or at least just keep asking for buffs to increase the odds of not only Ketchups suggestions but USEFUL buffs in general. I honestly don't know how to get NRS's attention but we need to seriously get on the ball with this if we want him to be a better character that can seriously compete against top tiers in major tourneys. Just my 2 cents

Robotic

Gentleman.
Too Long, Don't Read.

The way Lobo is designed, it's pretty difficult not to come up with buffs that DON'T sound reasonable, DON'T break him and DON'T require new coding.

That said, I'll give it a shot:

JD3: The hitbox on this damn move is TINY. How many Lobo mains out there have been hit out this move and immediately said out loud "WHATTHEFUCK?!" It's because opponent X hit you on the tricep. Fix the hitbox on this move and give it higher priority.

DB2: Stupid, stupid move. Make the hit cause a stagger that leaves everyone neutral on hit, and at sweep distance.

Charge: If they're going to keep the MB Hook charge the way it is (no invincible frames until 2nd hit, not very viable as a wakeup attack), then they need to make this his full screen move. He desperately needs something to make the Lantern crew respect him. Yellow and Green own him right now. Seriously, Lobo is chewing on a garden hose in Sinestro's back yard right now wishing for a good walk from his owner.

Trait: I understand what NRS was trying to do, I really do. "Other traits need to wait and have a cool down, but LOBO'S WON'T! They'll love that! He'll be almost overpowered! Oh shit, He'll almost be overpowered.....GOT IT! Give him frame disadvantage when loading said trait. Good trade off? Right? .... right, guys? Hello? Oh, right....everyone went to the Christmas luncheon except for me, the Lobo guy...oh well. I'm pushing this through!" (He's fired). Cut the frame disadvantage in half when loading AND increase distance on Nuke Shot. Trade Off: Loading the Nuke won't be instant anymore and there has to be a slight cool down a la Harley's trait. How to do this without new coding? Hmmm...

Finally, NRS needs to decide what is a grounded and what is an airborne opponent. If I can't air grab you AND I can't low chain you, then this game was not made properly. I go for a command grab, opponent X performs a move (special or normal, doesn't matter) that lifts them off the ground slightly, I whiff my grab, or whiff my low chain. If I go for the air grab in the same instance, I whiff the grab because opponent X is not high enough off the ground. THIS. IS. INFURIATING. Is the character considered grounded? Let me fucking command grab or low chain his ass! Is he airborne? Let me pick his apple tree! That read is hard enough as it is. The hitboxes/hurtboxes in this game or so ambiguous, that they destroy the aspirations of the good Lobo players out there. I will go so far as to say that the hitbox ambiguity hurts Lobo more than any other character in the game. His style relies heavily on the right read to a grounded, airborne, low block or high block opponent.

If the airborne/grounded bullshit ever gets fixed, he might not need too much else, but we may never know.

Red Venom

The Main Man of TYM
Too Long, Don't Read.

The way Lobo is designed, it's pretty difficult not to come up with buffs that DON'T sound reasonable, DON'T break him and DON'T require new coding.

That said, I'll give it a shot:

JD3: The hitbox on this damn move is TINY. How many Lobo mains out there have been hit out this move and immediately said out loud "WHATTHEFUCK?!" It's because opponent X hit you on the tricep. Fix the hitbox on this move and give it higher priority.

DB2: Stupid, stupid move. Make the hit cause a stagger that leaves everyone neutral on hit, and at sweep distance.

Charge: If they're going to keep the MB Hook charge the way it is (no invincible frames until 2nd hit, not very viable as a wakeup attack), then they need to make this his full screen move. He desperately needs something to make the Lantern crew respect him. Yellow and Green own him right now. Seriously, Lobo is chewing on a garden hose in Sinestro's back yard right now wishing for a good walk from his owner.

Trait: I understand what NRS was trying to do, I really do. "Other traits need to wait and have a cool down, but LOBO'S WON'T! They'll love that! He'll be almost overpowered! Oh shit, He'll almost be overpowered.....GOT IT! Give him frame disadvantage when loading said trait. Good trade off? Right? .... right, guys? Hello? Oh, right....everyone went to the Christmas luncheon except for me, the Lobo guy...oh well. I'm pushing this through!" (He's fired). Cut the frame disadvantage in half when loading AND increase distance on Nuke Shot. Trade Off: Loading the Nuke won't be instant anymore and there has to be a slight cool down a la Harley's trait. How to do this without new coding? Hmmm...

Finally, NRS needs to decide what is a grounded and what is an airborne opponent. If I can't air grab you AND I can't low chain you, then this game was not made properly. I go for a command grab, opponent X performs a move (special or normal, doesn't matter) that lifts them off the ground slightly, I whiff my grab, or whiff my low chain. If I go for the air grab in the same instance, I whiff the grab because opponent X is not high enough off the ground. THIS. IS. INFURIATING. Is the character considered grounded? Let me fucking command grab or low chain his ass! Is he airborne? Let me pick his apple tree! That read is hard enough as it is. The hitboxes/hurtboxes in this game or so ambiguous, that they destroy the aspirations of the good Lobo players out there. I will go so far as to say that the hitbox ambiguity hurts Lobo more than any other character in the game. His style relies heavily on the right read to a grounded, airborne, low block or high block opponent.

If the airborne/grounded bullshit ever gets fixed, he might not need too much else, but we may never know.
If they did this, PLUS Ketchups suggestions, I would buy every NRS game or DLC for the rest of my life.