What's new

PND Ketchups Lobo buff suggestions: Reasonable

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Ok, so there's been a lot of talk about Lobo being a bad character, and how he's the worst in the game etc. So I thought I'd give my two cents.

Before I get started, can I please ask that any comments in this thread (should it get much attention at all) stay civil, and we respect each others opinions and suggestions, buff threads tend to get out of hand, and instead of buff suggestions that fix a character, we end up with demands for moves to be +100 on block and can lead into 60% combos.

I feel like Lobo is like Bane, he isn't horrendous, and he has tools to get the job done, but he has blatant holes in his gameplay that hurt him more than they should. Specifically the properties of his actual moves, and how they don't fit into his general fundamentals.

Lobo has been my main since the second he launched, and I have put a huge amount of time into trying to see what makes this character work, On top of using him regularly against high level players. So these suggestions aren't coming from an uneducated scrub, I feel like I have to point that out for any newcomers that may not know who I am. (Sorry if that sounded big headed.) I will always use Lobo at tournaments. the only reason I didn't use him at Colosseum Games was because he was banned.

Without further ado, here are my suggestions that I think would help make Lobo a more well rounded character.

Give Lobo the ability to stack Nuclear Shells - The trait is something that has confused me since day 1, it makes very little sense how Lobo can press the trait button consecutively, yet he can't actually stack shells on top of one another. Lobo is a character that thrives on his space control, and reloading nuclear shells sacrifices any space you have at the time, allowing the opponent to close in loads of distance. And to guarantee the nuclear shells after a combo, Lobo has to sacrifice a setup/full damage to do so. Considering how the Nuclear shells aren't at all groundbreaking to his gameplay, I feel like they should have more relevance.

Fix the hitbox on 2,1 - This is something that really irritates me, the string itself isn't actually as good as it looks at first sight, against characters that are extremely mobile, or characters that spend a lot of time in the air, be that due to air dashes, floaty jumps etc, generally, the string doesn't connect very often, and will wiff entirely allowing lobo to be wiff punished. However, after attacks like Lobos low chain, you can use it as a means to chase down backdashes, or lock the opponent down for a high or low chain. The issue here is that the hitbox has major issues, there are times when the opponent will be crouching, and the chain will simply pass straight through them, allowing Lobo to be wiff punished, this makes no sense, as the chain touches the opponent, yet nothing happens. It feels like an inconsistent bug, and I hope this will be fixed in the next patch.

Increase speed of his B2 - The normal right now has its uses, but they're heavily outweighed by the risks up close, the B2 is effective after an ambiguous Mb charge, but other than that, it's a dangerous normal to use due to it's speed. It's easy to fuzzyguard so the chances of it landing alone even if it DOES connect is slim. The dangers are that it's so slow the opponent can either low poke, leaving Lobo at disadvantage, but some characters can actually punish it before it lands. An on hit D1 may lead into a B1, but not a B2, making no mindgames at all, combined with the fact the opponent can backdash. It just doesn't feel like it needs to be as slow as it is. This is a minor change however, I feel like Lobo can live without it, should he receive buffs in other areas.

Increased armor on MB Charge - Another one of those irritating situations, You will wakeup MB Charge to try to rely on the armor, but as the armor only comes out when the chain hits the ground, this isn't even an option. Normally I would just be able to accept that Lobo has no wakeup, however, The meter is taken before the armor is given, and this makes no sense. If I'm going to spend the meter to try and wakeup/get in on projectiles at charge range, I should receive armor the second the meter is taken away. This as it stands just adds to the reason Lobo suffers so badly against keepaway, and why it's harder for him to get things going once he manages to break through.

Increase priority of the Dive Punch - I feel like Lobo has the worst dive punch in the game. It only appears to be amazing on the opponents wakeup to those that don't know that it crosses up. Other than that, the move gets beat by D1's, air attacks, grounded normals etc. If the opponent presses anything at all, Lobo will get beat out, and in some cases, full combo punished. It doesn't feel like Lobo should get beat by a D1 after an on hit D1 during pressure, If I'm going to divepunch knowing that you're going to press a low poke, I shouldn't get beaten out for making a correct read.

These are my personal changes I feel Lobo could very much do with to be a more rounded character, I don't feel like these changes would make him OP in any way, but they would be welcomed changes to help the way he is played as a character. I haven't mentioned his combos due to the fact they're not difficult with practice. Landing the Grab in the middle of strings becomes easy if you just remember to press Forward and 2 at the exact same time, and landing the B3 mid combo is all about mashing B3 the second the opponent starts to fall down from the MB bounce of the grab.

What do you guys think?

Tagging Reo and Tom due to their knowledge of the game, and Reo's knowledge of Lobo.

REO
Tom Brady

jimzam

Noob
lobo doesnt need buffs. dont believe every thing u hear. lobo already has best command grab in game. a +frames low launchers. armor and many crazy mix ups cause dive and low chain and grab...

PND_Ketchup

lobo doesnt need buffs. dont believe every thing u hear. lobo already has best command grab in game. a +frames low launchers. armor and many crazy mix ups cause dive and low chain and grab...
Just a few errors in your post there.

High and low chain are unsafe on block, his armor doesn't connect until the chain hits the ground, making it really easy to stuff.

His grab is good, but it's just as good as anyone elses command throw, but with less setups outside of sweep, which is a fairly large loss of damage to try and go for a hard knockdown, as the charge special leaves lobo too far away to get the command grab on their wakeup, even though it's a hard knockdown.

His mixups aren't all that crazy, due to how slow his overhead is as mentioned, and how his ambiguous setups are just that, setups, the opponent will learn where you're hitting them eventually.

Lobos B1 is not a launcher.

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
ehhh i can agree with everything u said except
faster b2, i dont think he needs it, its gives him a weird hitbox that backs up and makes some moves wiffs
and plus, i feel like there needs to be some risky moves for every character, not everything can be safe

if i were to pick the best buffs, if any in my oppinion, stackable trait like u said, and armor on his mbcharge

something that be nice but i don't think he needs but would realy be happy with is armor on mb grab

jimzam

Noob
Just a few errors in your post there.

High and low chain are unsafe on block, his armor doesn't connect until the chain hits the ground, making it really easy to stuff.

His grab is good, but it's just as good as anyone elses command throw, but with less setups outside of sweep, which is a fairly large loss of damage to try and go for a hard knockdown, as the charge special leaves lobo too far away to get the command grab on their wakeup, even though it's a hard knockdown.

His mixups aren't all that crazy, due to how slow his overhead is as mentioned, and how his ambiguous setups are just that, setups, the opponent will learn where you're hitting them eventually.

Lobos B1 is not a launcher.
lobo b12 is a launcher... u can combo after with d1 into grab for full combo. u cant punish chains if u space right and do from max distance. good lobos shouldnt be spamming chains up close. and his ex bf3 doesnt need to have more armor... its already +frames on block and gets him in for free

sorry but i disagree. lobo is a very good char these buffs would make him broken for a lot of chars

and lobo already got buffed today in patch notes. wtf... he doesnt need more

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
what i would really love is advantage on blocked shotgun for more pressure
like baraka's blade spinny move, not the actual spin tho, the other one

jimzam

Noob
what i would really love is advantage on blocked shotgun for more pressure
like baraka's blade spinny move, not the actual spin tho, the other one
projectiles shouldnt be +frames on block. that would be dumb and turn lobo into a spam fest

PND_Ketchup

lobo b12 is a launcher... u can combo after with d1 into grab for full combo. u cant punish chains if u space right and do from max distance. good lobos shouldnt be spamming chains up close. and his ex bf3 doesnt need to have more armor... its already +frames on block and gets him in for free

sorry but i disagree. lobo is a very good char these buffs would make him broken for a lot of chars

and lobo already got buffed today in patch notes. wtf... he doesnt need more
Care to explain why they would make him broken?

Comboing off his B1,2 can lead to a d1 mid combo yes, but it's space dependent, and is the opposite of guaranteed.

Lobos chain charge is at least - 20. It can ALWAYS be punished. I never said it needed more armor, I said that the armor should be fixed, as the meter is taken away before the armor is given. A property that a move should never have. When I said "help him deal against keepaway" I don't mean just throwing it out there, You can't react to projectiles, or even anticipate them with the move as it stands.

Lobos buffs do not help his overall design, letting him now do 4% chip from MB gunshot and losing the ability to clash it is hardly an amazing buff, it's cool that he has something better yeah, but It won't help him against any of his issues.

You're mistaking me for an online scrub, I'm not bitching about the fact I can't just do what I want for free. The character has blatant issues that make no sense.

PND_Ketchup

projectiles shouldnt be +frames on block. that would be dumb and turn lobo into a spam fest
Lobo is slightly on advantage off a blocked MB shotgun, you're just pushed too far away to get anything from it.

May I ask why you're jumping into this thread making statements as to why Lobo doesn't need anything at all? Do you actually play Lobo?

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
jimzam
shotgun isnt a projectile realy

lobo is a good character already, but not top, and not shit
he's being underrated and overrated by everyone right now, he CAN compete, he just has more problems

the buffs the ketchup mentioned really wouldn't break lobo
buffs that will break lobo are people who don't understand what lobo is about and want him to have full screen attacks
or grundy armor

he doesn't really need buffs, just retweaks

PND_Ketchup

Lobo isn't a helpless character. I've always argued that theory.

Please read the original post again, I simply state these changes would tweak problems that he really shouldn't have by design.

Dulllyanna

You're going to shoot guns at me?
I've never had a problem being too far from characters after any of my combos ending in bf3, outside of a very specific one or it hitting raw at the very tip. Unless new stuff has been found off of EX command grab that does more than 38-9% or w/e and ends in bf3 that I don't know about, I haven't looked up new tech for him for about a week so I may be mistaken. That said, I agree with buffing 21, if only to give him a more reliable option after low shot starter outside of close range, and a slightly easier time initiating mixups from neutral.

Also no offense but there was already a thread to discuss possible Lobo buffs and it didn't go to shit or anything (And even if it did, a mod could take care of that), so I really don't see the need for an entirely new one.

testyourmight.com/threads/lobo-buff-ideas-discussion.32692/

jimzam

Noob
@pndketchup lobo is my secondary and i played him since released. i use him to cover aquaman bad mus like raven green lantern etc. i WISH aquaman had something like lobo b12 +frames string. or a unblockable grab that leads to 40% combos. lobo is really good and i have no issues fighting some of the best players online.

chain being punishable is np cause a smart lobo will just ex version the bf3 so its +frames ON BLOCK for extra pressure and set ups. shotgun wasnt meant to spam to be +frames cause u already have b12 for that... and stacking his trait would be a huge NO. lobo could just sit there full screen and mash trait and then come in and have a million chance to throw out low mix ups with shotgun and he would be dumb then.

why do u guys think lobo needs buffs? hes the 2nd newest char and still needs time to be explored. just wait until good players pick him up and go to tourneys. u guys will see lobos true potential and that hes very good

PND_Ketchup

I've never had a problem being too far from characters after any of my combos ending in bf3, outside of a very specific one or it hitting raw at the very tip. Unless new stuff has been found off of EX command grab that does more than 38-9% or w/e and ends in bf3 that I don't know about, I haven't looked up new tech for him for about a week so I may be mistaken.

Also no offense but there was already a thread to discuss possible Lobo buffs and it didn't go to shit or anything (And even if it did, a mod could take care of that), so I really don't see the need for an entirely new one.

testyourmight.com/threads/lobo-buff-ideas-discussion.32692/
Think of it more as a filter, I apologize for potential duplicate posts, but general buff suggestion threads have a tendency to get out of hand. More discussion of a huge list of buffs everyone wants overtakes the actual suggestions themselves.

I made a thread with a large detailed description of my personal suggestions to prevent it from just getting lost in arguments between members.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
And nothing to do on zoners and very difficult timing for not enough reward when executed.

I threw up a really similar thread a few days ago: http://testyourmight.com/threads/lobo-buff-ideas-discussion.32692/#post-869111

Suggested some similar things to you and I like some of what you mentioned here (namely the increased speed of B2). I use B2U1 a good amount, and it's great for starting his BnB (I go into 1 2 MB command grab b3 ji2 21 bf3) and very good for mixup, but the speed causes it to barely ever connect unless my opponent is just REALLY offguard. That would be pretty clutch. The improved armor on the charge OR some kind of increase on the shotgun range (preferably the charge improvement) are pretty much a must and I think that would take him all the way to A-A+ right there.

I also think the timing on B1 -> command grab needs work, OR (preferably) the recovery of Lobo after the low pump nuclear shot needs to be a bit faster so that he can combo into other moves off of his 50/50 setup. 38-40% is a bit low, and improving that recover should bring it up to around 45%, which I think is a fair level. As it is, the b1 -> command grab timing is SOOOO impossible. If you disagree Ketchup, please let me know how you pull it off, because I can get it 1 in every 10 or so attempts (yes, I use a controller, but cmon now, let's not go there...) by mashing it as fast as possible. Don't think I'll ever be able to pull it off in any practical sense.

Good thread man, glad to see you are still running Lobo and stimulating talk about him. Hope we some of these improvements in a few weeks to make him viable!!!

PND_Ketchup

@pndketchup lobo is my secondary and i played him since released. i use him to cover aquaman bad mus like raven green lantern etc. i WISH aquaman had something like lobo b12 +frames string. or a unblockable grab that leads to 40% combos. lobo is really good and i have no issues fighting some of the best players online.

chain being punishable is np cause a smart lobo will just ex version the bf3 so its +frames ON BLOCK for extra pressure and set ups. shotgun wasnt meant to spam to be +frames cause u already have b12 for that... and stacking his trait would be a huge NO. lobo could just sit there full screen and mash trait and then come in and have a million chance to throw out low mix ups with shotgun and he would be dumb then.

why do u guys think lobo needs buffs? hes the 2nd newest char and still needs time to be explored. just wait until good players pick him up and go to tourneys. u guys will see lobos true potential and that hes very good
You use Lobo to counter two keepaway characters? Right.

He can get 40% off his grab, the point is that it's harder to land for him than other characters.

You play Aquaman, I find it really humerous how you're saying how Lobo is an amazing character, but Aquamans useless, I saw your thread.

Also, I'm not even going to comment on that last thing you said.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter

Reo and Ketchup aren't good players worth hearing about Lobo? are you serious?

Dulllyanna

I think that's a bit preemptive seeing as how it hasn't even gone past a page yet. It's not chock full of players making empty bitch posts, and those who couldn't be bothered to read long posts won't do so anyways. At the very least, copypaste your opening post to the other thread and everybody can go on from there.

PND_Ketchup

And nothing to do on zoners and very difficult timing for not enough reward when executed.

I threw up a really similar thread a few days ago: http://testyourmight.com/threads/lobo-buff-ideas-discussion.32692/#post-869111

Suggested some similar things to you and I like some of what you mentioned here (namely the increased speed of B2). I use B2U1 a good amount, and it's great for starting his BnB (I go into 1 2 MB command grab b3 ji2 21 bf3) and very good for mixup, but the speed causes it to barely ever connect unless my opponent is just REALLY offguard. That would be pretty clutch. The improved armor on the charge OR some kind of increase on the shotgun range (preferably the charge improvement) are pretty much a must and I think that would take him all the way to A-A+ right there.

I also think the timing on B1 -> command grab needs work, OR (preferably) the recovery of Lobo after the low pump nuclear shot needs to be a bit faster so that he can combo into other moves off of his 50/50 setup. 38-40% is a bit low, and improving that recover should bring it up to around 45%, which I think is a fair level. As it is, the b1 -> command grab timing is SOOOO impossible. If you disagree Ketchup, please let me know how you pull it off, because I can get it 1 in every 10 or so attempts (yes, I use a controller, but cmon now, let's not go there...) by mashing it as fast as possible. Don't think I'll ever be able to pull it off in any practical sense.

Good thread man, glad to see you are still running Lobo and stimulating talk about him. Hope we some of these improvements in a few weeks to make him viable!!!
I agree, Although his nuclear low is a pretty cool thing to have, with his main strings, he really can't get much off it even if you guess right.

You can 2,1,Nuclear low, and land a 3 into chain if if lands, but that's pretty much it. Your B1 into nuclear low will ONLY get you a standing 3 into low chain, it feels like it should be more threatening, because again, Lobo hasn't got much to be really scared of if you know how to fight the character.

jimzam

Noob
You use Lobo to counter two keepaway characters? Right.

He can get 40% off his grab, the point is that it's harder to land for him than other characters.

You play Aquaman, I find it really humerous how you're saying how Lobo is an amazing character, but Aquamans useless, I saw your thread.

Also, I'm not even going to comment on that last thing you said.
lobo does better gl than aquaman. free low chain punishes on lift into vortex all day... aquaman is good but tom is only person winning with him. aquaman is overrated by a lot

what lobos have u seen on stream go to tourneys? ive seen 0. so until they show up we dont know how good lobo is. give players time to learn lobo because hes a dlc and have not been out as long as others

PND_Ketchup

I think that's a bit preemptive seeing as how it hasn't even gone past a page yet. It's not chock full of players making empty bitch posts, and those who couldn't be bothered to read long posts won't do so anyways. At the very least, copypaste your opening post to the other thread and everybody can go on from there.
I monitor all the buff threads. It always happens dude.

PND_Ketchup

lobo does better gl than aquaman. free low chain punishes on lift into vortex all day... aquaman is good but tom is only person winning with him. aquaman is overrated by a lot

what lobos have u seen on stream go to tourneys? ive seen 0. so until they show up we dont know how good lobo is. give players time to learn lobo because hes a dlc and have not been out as long as others
Lobo hasn't got a vortex.

If you're talking about the low chain, it's just a guessing game, one that Lobo can get full combo punished for if the opponent guesses right. That's Not a vortex.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
I started that other buff thread- Ketchup has more people following his shit and all I want is a real discussion about practical buffs for lobo that some legitimate opinions participate in (not just a bunch of people saying he's fine for some mysterious reason when there are some very real problems with him). My thread was already posted here a few times, and hasn't had any activity lately, so might as well pass the reigns here. Let the discussing commence/continue =)

Dulllyanna

btw, put me firmly in the "He's heavily underrated." At this point I definitely won't say he's top, and yes he does have trouble landing command throw on certain characters, but simple things like AA 3 xx bf3 or a2a into 21 xx bf3 are all it takes to start a mixup game that is extremely threatening when he has meter. As much as I respect REO's opinion, I feel he's a bit biased in this regard. Putting him definitively below Shazam when both characters have similar string into special/command throw mixups (Except his is just command throw or escape), and he has far better AAs. You can argue that Shazam has better average meterless output off of practical starters and better meter building, but I don't feel that's enough to definitively put him above Lobo.

As I mentioned in my post in the other threads, one of the biggest things is fixing his options off of traited low shot, because its utility is rather poor at longer ranges compared to most characters in the game. It feels wonky and underdeveloped to me. And yeah, it's not a vortex, just a strong mixup. What makes Akuma's vortex what it is is the fact that most options aren't really punishable, or only specific options by specific characters. If there's anything resembling a vortex in this game, it's Batgirl's combo into restand 111, which puts the opponent in a stagger that absolutely forces them to guesses block high or low and loops into itself. Every character has the option to make Lobo guess wrong and take some degree of damage.