What's new

Question - Johnny Cage Please fix, not buff, SD Johnny Cage

Audit

Falls down too much
Indeed he need FIXES, its not buffs! His mimic rising shadow wiffing after 113 hits is really anoying! 114 actually hitting mid is a must too.
I'm actually ok with the mimc whiffing after 113, it might be too good then. Just fix the 114xxmimic, and the mimics going away on parry and X-Ray if it's unintended.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I'm actually ok with the mimc whiffing after 113, it might be too good then. Just fix the 114xxmimic, and the mimics going away on parry and X-Ray if it's unintended.
I'm not sure if it would be too good. A year from now we may think very differently when everyone knows how to block Johnny's shit. Time will tell though. 114 and the clone loss are definitely the big ticket issues.

Audit

Falls down too much
I'm not sure if it would be too good. A year from now we may think very differently when everyone knows how to block Johnny's shit. Time will tell though. 114 and the clone loss are definitely the big ticket issues.

Two bars would get you something like 113xxExSCU,113xx113xxExSCU. Which would be high, mid, low, mid, overhead, mid, low, mid, overhead. The high of the second 113 would be covered by the shadow clone I think, so you couldn't duck out of it. With practice it could be blocked, but I don't think they're going to let a block string go that has two overheads and lows in it that the opponent has to absolutely hold. Granted it does cost two bars.....

edit: SCU is Shadow clone uppercut. Sorry I don't remember the correct notation for the mimic shadow clone uppercut, and I'm too lazy to look in the combo thread and come back :oops:

Frosted 57

Reforming Lurker
Two bars would get you something like 113xxExSCU,113xx113xxExSCU. Which would be high, mid, low, mid, overhead, mid, low, mid, overhead. The high of the second 113 would be covered by the shadow clone I think, so you couldn't duck out of it. With practice it could be blocked, but I don't think they're going to let a block string go that has two overheads and lows in it that the opponent has to absolutely hold. Granted it does cost two bars.....

edit: SCU is Shadow clone uppercut. Sorry I don't remember the correct notation for the mimic shadow clone uppercut, and I'm too lazy to look in the combo thread and come back :oops:
113 Rising Shadow isn't a true block string though, you can armor after the 113(it will catch most backdashes though). I just want consistency. If it only works on some characters sure, but to have it work depending on stances and whether you are using the first or second clone is just silly. Heck even if they just want to make it NOT work midscreen I don't care just make it act the same way each time you do it to a character.

even if 113xxclone upper always worked not that big of a deal; using a resource to keep it safe/get an extension as opposed to AList or other characters with similar stuff that gets it for free.

that being said could also live with 113 xx clone kick since on block you still get pressure :)

Audit

Falls down too much
113 Rising Shadow isn't a true block string though, you can armor after the 113(it will catch most backdashes though). I just want consistency. If it only works on some characters sure, but to have it work depending on stances and whether you are using the first or second clone is just silly. Heck even if they just want to make it NOT work midscreen I don't care just make it act the same way each time you do it to a character.
Oh I agree that it shouldn't matter which clone, or what whether you're facing the screen or not. That should be fixed. If 113 can be armored through after the three that would be enough to be ok. I've also decided that in addition to the two bars in my example you also have to have clones set up. Not hard, but not an inconsequential requirement either and that could balance out how good that block string is.

why does one of the most reasonably sound collective group of players ive come across in a FG scene play the character which is most canonically unreasonable.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Maybe a better horizontal htibox on his d2 could go up for discussion too.
D2s need a universal buff. Johnny isnt the only one with absolutely no anti air ability. There's not even a reason for 3/4ths of the cast to have a d2.

Which parries are making his trait go away? I tried Kenshis, Kitanas, and SZ ice shield, the trait remains for me after the parry? I also can't find any other trait that remains after being xrayed

#2 and #3 is a matter of distance, from a step back his foot is going over their head but it consistently hits even the smallest chars closer up. Raidens f2 and a few other mids have misleading hitboxes, but I would say JC needs all he can get so I'd agree with making it hit from farther away

Your irresponsible requests reflect half of the TYM user base.
I didn't make a legitimate request, I jokingly posted a video, then you were uptight about it, and I said this character in general needs tweaks basically agreeing with your initial post but because you are anal about calling the adjustments "fixes" you unnecessarily get disrespectful
I also humbly admitted I don't know this character well enough to give an opinion (I am a raiden) and your response is HA! EXACTLY! YOU ARE WHATS WRONG WITH TYM. Im whats wrong because I openly state I have no right to an opinion on this matter? If I said my raiden needs his f2 mid "fixed" so it hits ducking opponents when his fist is slightly over their head im sure you'd call that a buff, its semantics who gives a shit what word I used. Its surprising how someone with such a bad sense of humor mains the comedic relief character, Johnny Cage would never snitch to forum moderators.

Last edited:
I didn't make a legitimate request, I jokingly posted a video, then you were uptight about it,
This thread was made with a clear purpose and with respect to the devs. Your video left plenty of room for others to wonder as to why you posted it.

and I said this character in general needs tweaks basically agreeing with your initial post but because you are anal about calling the adjustments "fixes" you have an issue with that. I also humbly admitted I don't know this character well enough to give an opinion and your response is HA! EXACTLY! YOU ARE WHATS WRONG WITH TYM. Im whats wrong because I openly state I have no right to an opinion on this matter?
The issue is that the opening post was well-thought out and quite respectful, while your previous posts look like they belong in a different (let's say, hastily-made) thread. Text has no tone of voice, and over virtual internet text, it can be quite difficult to know when someone is being serious or not.

In your eyes, you humbly admitted that you don't know your character well enough to give an opinion on the matter, yes. But, in the eyes of others -- who have seen how people ask for easy-mode mindless buffs and/or buffs so that they don't have to work out a solution to a problem themselves -- you give off an impression that is likened unto those people.

It's all a misunderstanding.

If I said my raiden needs his f2 mid "fixed" so it hits ducking opponents when his fast is slightly over their head im sure you'd call that a buff, its semantics who gives a shit what word I used. Its surprising how someone with such a bad sense of humor mains the comedic relief character, Johnny Cage would never snitch to forum moderators.
Semantics are kind of a big deal. "Fixes" has a different meaning, compared to "buffs".

A "fix" is used in circumstances like inconsistencies. Things that work sometimes, but don't other times; especially when there's no reasonable explanation as to why it happens. Take Jacqui Briggs' numerous pre-patch hitbox inconsistencies, for example.
"Buffs" heighten a character's potential and amplify their strengths/reduce weaknesses by altering intentional design choices, to make them stand more of a chance against the rest of the roster. Take the adjustments to Kotal Kahn's Crystal and Obsidian totems, for instance.

One cannot expect someone to take a certain word to mean something else, when that certain word already has an established meaning to the other. Communication is a two-way street.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Which parries are making his trait go away? I tried Kenshis, Kitanas, and SZ ice shield, the trait remains for me after the parry? I also can't find any other trait that remains after being xrayed
I think you're trying to use a reflect. Kenshi doesnt have a parry. I'm talking about characters like Sonya, and Liu Kang. Turn on your mimics, then have Sonya parry one of Johnny's normals.

#2 and #3 is a matter of distance, from a step back his foot is going over their head but it consistently hits even the smallest chars closer up.
I've witnessed both whiffing point blank. In fact I can make the 4 in 114 whiff pretty consistently. I can promise you it is not distance related. Put yourself in the corner and record Johnny doing 114. Let the first 1 whiff, then quickly block the second 1, but let go before the 4 comes out. The 4 will go right over many character's heads. This is just one way to make it happen.

Hawfy

"Martini Shot"
Same as 114 the 1 in 214 is listed as a mid but it wiffs on crouch blocking Cassie, Scorpion & Sub Zero havent tested the whole cast but its range dependent if you are right in there face it wiffs but if you take a tiny step back it hits.

Lol if you wanna know how good J Cage is just look at my first game with him... Bare in mind I never play this character... ever haha.