What's new

Player 1 has host advantage

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm sorry, but how is $16k being put on the table for this game?
Because this game has hype...?

Honestly, I don't even believe this considering I've had trade advantage when two elbow dashes collide as player 2.

But if this is true...yay?

Player 1 wins all encounters when 2 moves become active at the same time. One exception is Kung Lao, whose spin and x-ray will win out regardless of position.
I tought the outcome of a trade was random in mk, but its much worse than that. I was scared 2 days ago when I played like 100 matchs against mileena, kitana and sektor and won every jik using subzero.

Somberness, how do you managed to find out that? How do you managed to imput the same imput on both players at the same frame?

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
NRS need to give Somberness a job.

He practically single handedly produced the frame date we have today, and if this thing about P1 is right, then he should be commended.

But it also shows NRS didn't even know their own frame data properly because how can this be allowed to get through?
In a game without trades, the question is how to program around it. if (p1 attackTime = p2 attackTime) {p1 = win; p2 = tough shit?;} I'm trying to think of a logical solution but again, if there are no trades whatsoever would you rather have the "random" thing that supposedly gives advantage every 10 frames or that p1 strictly wins out all the time? I'm not siding with NRS here, I'm just pointing out how difficult it is to actually decide who to give advantage to. Most likely it IS based on a timer, which shouldn't be a problem, given the type of game it is.

Flagg

Noob
In a game without trades, the question is how to program around it. if (p1 attackTime = p2 attackTime) {p1 = win; p2 = tough shit?;} I'm trying to think of a logical solution but again, if there are no trades whatsoever would you rather have the "random" thing that supposedly gives advantage every 10 frames or that p1 strictly wins out all the time? I'm not siding with NRS here, I'm just pointing out how difficult it is to actually decide who to give advantage to. Most likely it IS based on a timer, which shouldn't be a problem, given the type of game it is.
Well you can't have two normals hitting and both people being taking damage/stagger, that would change the game dramatically and I dont know if that's even possible with the mechanics of the game. If its on a 10 frame timer, then that's fine. The whole "It's just for P1" is unacceptable though.

Wouldnt the best way to test this is out is to do a shit ton of mirrors, and record moves being executed at the same time when you're down to the last sliver of health to see who dies more?

This is BS. If this is true, a hotfix must be released immidiately. You cant expect to play a game competively based on fixed priorities.
The hitfix should have come a long time ago. You cant expect to play a game competively based on random priorities aswell. At least with fixed properties you can keep switching the players positions every match.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Why is it suddenly a problem now?
People are going to start digging back through the TO footage now and seeing how often P1 won. Now, obviously there's other factors there as well, but an advantage is an advantage. IF the P1 side has a significantly higher win statistic, then there's a problem.

The only logical solution to this, would be for P1 and P2 to swap sides following a match, in an attempt to balance it out - if it is indeed that big of a problem. But this is going to be a pain very quickly - due to having to hop back into the menu to adjust both layouts again, another button check, the players having to get up and swap their pads/sticks and the streamer having to change the names. Just the thought of that is so obnoxious, that's going to eat up so much time.

Killphil

Well you can't have two normals hitting and both people being taking damage/stagger, that would change the game dramatically and I dont know if that's even possible with the mechanics of the game. If its on a 10 frame timer, then that's fine. The whole "It's just for P1" is unacceptable though
Wouldnt the best way to test this is out is to do a shit ton of mirrors, and record moves being executed at the same time when you're down to the last sliver of health to see who dies more?
Idk how to test it man. I mean if advantage does change every 10 frames, thats only 1/6th of a second. Hit stun from moves lasts longer than that, so by all means at any given time it would be random. I used to get salty when the game first came out because my friend would win the air battle and I'd stop for a second and by like "yea, ok, I didn't just press the damn punch button!" I'm over it though. I just hope this isn't true.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Somberness
Thanks for your efforts, I appreciate them.

Now to the topic at hand.

Take a look at 16 bit's post:
Paulo once posted here that it starts off random and then switches back and forth every 10 frames. You're positive that's not the case?
Assuming Paulo didn't lie or wasn't mistaken, you need to test this again taking in consideration this information. If advantage truly switches every 10 frames, then your results aren't conclusive; at least not yet. Moreover, we have to take into consideration how Training Mode really works: when Select button is pressed to reset it, is the advantage reset as well or does it continue switching back and forth?

The only way to truly test this would be by scripting a rutine that sends inputs exaclty on every 10 frame interval after the start of round 1 of an actual match. Right now, even with recording equipment, you can't at play time make the inputs with the precision required to test this throughly and correctly.

----

What was the guy's username that discovered the details behind the Input Bug?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Can't really doubt Somberness based on his past work, all I can think of is other things to test.

Maybe it uses the in game clock as the method to switch priority (which starts on P1) so if time is unlimited, like in the training room, it will always be P1? That wouldn't explain why KL spin is truly random though if done on the same frame. All I can do is give suggestions to narrow down why it is like this, but it could be that it was just programmed this way, or it is a bug and the priority is never switched even though it was designed to switch at a certain interval.

Somberness

Lights
Can't really doubt Somberness based on his past work, all I can think of is other things to test.

Maybe it uses the in game clock as the method to switch priority (which starts on P1) so if time is unlimited, like in the training room, it will always be P1? That wouldn't explain why KL spin is truly random though if done on the same frame. All I can do is give suggestions to narrow down why it is like this, but it could be that it was just programmed this way, or it is a bug and the priority is never switched even though it was designed to switch at a certain interval.
Good idea, I'll check that.

Killphil

I really hope its not the in game clock that decides. "Uh oh, he's waiting til' the 50 second mark to go for it because he knows he'll have advantage around then!" Just a joke, but in all seriousness, I'm hoping its a timer behind the scenes, not one we can see.

Somberness

Lights
Just took a quick look, I can do the frame count if you want.
96s P1 winner
94s P1 winner
91s P1 winner
89s P1 winner
86s P1 winner

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I say we shouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

We need to:

1. Contact Paulo regarding this inmediately.
2. Find a way Somberness can precisely and correctly test the 10th frame statement.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I have thought this has happened to me a few times in Mirrors with Kitana, my D1 losing alot to the other guys but they came out at the same time, thought nothing of it at the time, but will def test this again now.

Oh well, I still love this game and will never stop playing it :) MORTAL KOMBAT!!!