What's new

PL says "KL NOT IN TOP TEN"

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
You don't get it. It doesn't matter how many grass root majors or MLGs someone wins, it means nothing at the end of the day. PL won where it counted, twice. Who cares if someone is the most consistent player on the side lines. I would give up all my tournament placings (and more) just for one EVO win.

They all count as long as the players show up and do their best. If the same 30 top players sign up for Evo that signed up for MLG and you get the same high level play with roughly the same number of entrants then is there really that much of a difference? I'm not great but I give my all every tournament and I gotta assume it's the same for everyone so how is winning at MLG and EVO THAT much different?

REO

Undead
They all count as long as the players show up and do their best. If the same 30 top players sign up for Evo that signed up for MLG and you get the same high level play with roughly the same number of entrants then is there really that much of a difference? I'm not great but I give my all every tournament and I gotta assume it's the same for everyone so how is winning at MLG and EVO THAT much different?
Each of them count differently, which is why EVO counts the most. And winning MLG is way easier than winning EVO. For starters, the entries are always under a 100 for MLG. EVO has had over 300 entries for both MK tournaments. The competition at EVO is more than 3x as difficult. To top it off, people spend a year preparing BEFORE the tournament which just goes to show you what crazy amounts of preparation and training goes into it for such an event. Do you even grasp how good you have to stand a chance at an event like this with all of these variables and players there? Nothing comes close.

9_Lives

Noob
EVO has had over 300 entries for both MK tournaments. The competition at EVO is more than 3x as difficult. To top it off, people spend a year preparing BEFORE the tournament which just goes to show you what crazy amounts of preparation and training goes into it for such an event.
Wow, I never realized it was that much bigger. Thanks for putting it that way.

Each of them count differently, which is why EVO counts the most. And winning MLG is way easier than winning EVO. For starters, the entries are always under a 100 for MLG. EVO has had over 300 entries for both MK tournaments. The competition at EVO is more than 3x as difficult. To top it off, people spend a year preparing BEFORE the tournament which just goes to show you what crazy amounts of preparation and training goes into it for such an event. Do you even grasp how good you have to stand a chance at an event like this with all of these variables and players there? Nothing comes close.
3 times the people is what, 2 more rounds in winners, 4 in losers? And arent people always preparing? so raliegh, which was after evo, included evo prep and then a month or two of extra prep.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Each of them count differently, which is why EVO counts the most. And winning MLG is way easier than winning EVO. For starters, the entries are always under a 100 for MLG. EVO has had over 300 entries for both MK tournaments. The competition at EVO is more than 3x as difficult. To top it off, people spend a year preparing BEFORE the tournament which just goes to show you what crazy amounts of preparation and training goes into it for such an event.

Players you may never even play, even with 300 + players you need to win......what? 8 matches to win the entire tournament if you don't get sent to losers? As opposed to MLG where you have 5 if you aren't sent to losers. I'm simply skewing the numbers since being sent to losers early on would make it a lot harder to move on at EVO than MLG and I see what you're saying.....At the same time alot of the people that go to EVO only go to EVO and sometimes they aren't that great so those numbers themselves are padded.

To top it off, people spend a year preparing BEFORE the tournament which just goes to show you what crazy amounts of preparation and training goes into it for such an event.
Sure, but they train all year round while still going to other tournaments more often then not. There's hardly top players that go to just EVO, no matter how much practice you have you can't prepare for different human beings and going to tournaments are the best way to learn matchups anyway.

Do you even grasp how good you have to stand a chance at an event like this with all of these variables and players there? Nothing comes close.
Clearly I don't as I've never won a major (Youmacon Battle Opera is a regional, if anything), let alone EVO. Still, the possibility of having to fight 6-7 more matches against players that are potentially really good isn't that different from possibly fighting 3-4 more matches with players you know are really good.

coolwhip

Noob
People play the Kabal match-up MUCH better now, it's just that REO took his Kabal to another level post EVO with some new tech. Back in March/April, everyone and their mother was crying as to how Kabal can't be dealt with, will ruin the game, bla bla bla... Then we saw someone like 16 Bit overcoming a 7-3 match-up on countless of occasions, and PL making it look free against some of the best Kabal players in the world (REO, CD Jr, Cat)... Pig is someone else who plays the match-up much better now.. And don't get me started on what Dizzy does against 99% of Kabal players with Johnny Cage.

Of course, Kabal will always do great since he's the best character in the game, and some of the best players in the game use him. But that doesn't mean that people don't play the match-up much better now.

coolwhip

Noob
Nice one, but no. I know I'll never be half the player PL is. Winning EVO is like winning a 100 majors. At least I'm the only player here who is real about it. Everyone else shits on PL because they're jealous and think they know what they're talking about over the two time EVO champion.
Trolling modesty REO is my favorite REO.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I always thought Kung Lao was a little overrated and believe he is probably a upper mid tier character at this point in the game. What PL has done with this character is amazing given all the nerfs he's gotten since release. I think people are just seeing all the holes in his game and now has PL contemplating dropping the character.
He won't drop Kung Lao

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Ya, why would he drop a character at the top of the tier list? :p
Because he doesn't think that he is at the top of the tier list lol. But PL put way too much time into Kung Lao, I don't think he would ever drop him. Just like I never would either

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
He's won EVO back to back. His opinion holds more weight over anyone. It holds more weight over Slips, over 16 Bit, even over Tom Brady. I don't care what any player says at the end of the day. I would listen to Perfect Legend over anyone else, period. I also don't care if Slips is the "scorpion guy", PL has won EVO twice. If PL says Scorpion could be top five, then he could be. Who are any of you to just disprove his claims like that? What have any of you done that even comes CLOSE to what PL has accomplished?
It may hold more weight, but that doesn't mean his opinion is always right. Top players aren't exempt from being wrong.

I don't just parrot everything a top player says, I go by results. If KL isn't top 5 or whatever, where's the proof? We've had all sorts of tournament footage showcasing why all of Lao's tools belong to that of a top-tier character. I will gladly shut my mouth when PL or someone else proves otherwise.

Cyrax is the most dangerous character in the game with just 1 bar. Straight up. The fact that he can switch a match around just like that reduces a lot of issues off of his matchups. There are certain things characters can get away with anyone else, but cannot with Cyrax. Or Smoke for that matter.

LBSH, having absurd damage is a big deal when you have access to it on a bunch of options. Matchups that are disadvantage for both of these characters become even or maybe in their favor due to this, especially for Cyrax because of how efficient his damage is in comparison to Smoke. The only time these two actually lose hard is when the opposing character has the right set of stuff that damage can't even help you.
this is a valid point, however i think that both kabal and sektor make it near impossible for cyrax to win 5-5... i really do despite this damage and despite cyrax having top 5 pressure because of his command grab, i can see smoke in the top 5 but not cyrax i think he loses to so many people... and definetly to kabal and sektor