What's new

People who work/worked/Tested for NRS, who did you think was going to be the best in the game?

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
For any game you guys have made, before they were released, was there a character that was running amok in the offices? Also, who is the best over all player who works at NRS (not some one who was just a tester.)?

Shock

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Premium Supporter
I tested MK9, wasn't called for Injustice ::sniff::

I thought Kabal and Sonya were going to be top with their cancels but I thought Sonya's was going to be nerfed on release. I was worried about Kung Lao but we didn't have enough time to explore the full extent of his deadliness. In fact, IIRC, could juggle off his throw, at the very least in the corner but possibly midscreen but we didn't know it until after we left (someone who was there please correct this if I'm wrong).

Sub-zero and Jade were also much better characters from what I remember, but that was so long ago and the game has changed so much.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks
This thread could be very cool. But, I bet that for Tom GL seemed OP at first, then changed to Aqua cause of his output damage and range with that crazy tridrent...ow and also trait...actually i bet most of them thought GL would be top 2 alongside Doomdsay.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'll post more later, but Pig, REO, Chris G, and I made a tier list before we left (some of them stayed longer than I did, so I'm sure it changed but it is interesting). Lots of broken stuff.

All of the NRS testers I saw play were very good (in-house and contracted).

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
I tested MK9, wasn't called for Injustice ::sniff::

I thought Kabal and Sonya were going to be top with their cancels but I thought Sonya's was going to be nerfed on release. I was worried about Kung Lao but we didn't have enough time to explore the full extent of his deadliness. In fact, IIRC, could juggle off his throw, at the very least in the corner but possibly midscreen but we didn't know it until after we left (someone who was there please correct this if I'm wrong).

Sub-zero and Jade were also much better characters from what I remember, but that was so long ago and the game has changed so much.
you should have an official work in NRS as a tester :p.

CrazySlasher

Kombatant
I'll post more later, but REO, Chris G, and I made a tier list before we left (some of them stayed longer than I did, so I'm sure it changed but it is interesting). Lots of broken stuff.

All of the NRS testers I saw play were very good (in-house and contracted).

I always wondered about the "in-house testers." Are they former FGC community guys?

Tony at Home

Warrior
You can look at the official Strategy Guide for some hints of their original estimates:

Some of my favorite bad estimations are :
"Opponents can devastate Superman with one good read and change the match in their favor"

I kinda like how "good read" is a euphamism for "lucky guess" sometimes :)

I'm guessing they may have underestimated Lex given that every single page of the Lex Luthor section should be labeled "how to get completely destroyed when playing Lex Luthor". In the combos section, it advises you start out a combo by just throwing out a MB grav pull randomly....