What's new

Pennywise pitch for Mortal Kombat 11 *IT SPOILERS*

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
I don't have any qualms about pennywise and spawn would he hype as f*ck but I just want an MK with just MK characters besides it'll increase the chances of ermac being dlc:DOGE

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
More ideas:

Someone mentioned guest DLC coming with stages. Pennywise could have two stage possibilities that I think would be cool.

Georgie's Street: Just a normal street like the one in IT, it could be raining and it would be right in front of the storm drain where Pennywise grabs Georgie. And, if you're not playing as Pennywise, you'll see two glowing yellows eyes from the darkness of the drain. Maybe even have a boat fall in there and a kid in a yellow raincoat run by. Maybe have the Losers Club riding by on their bikes.

Sewer: The sewer area where all the kids are 'floating' would be super sick and make for a pretty awesome background stage. They could have that big stage-like centerpiece where Pennywise does his dance, and if you aren't playing as Pennywise, maybe sometime during the fight it pops open and you see him do the dance. Maybe have the Losers Club run through in the background with flashlights. (I just think it'd be too sick to have the Losers Club in the background of an 'IT' themed stage.
Also, if he's in and doesn't make a 'jingle' sound whenever he gets hit or during his intro/between rounds, I will personally sue NRS.

At 1:21, he says "I'm Pennywise the Dancing Clown." and he shakes his head and that shit jingles. I feel like that would be funny ass detail to have.

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I’m a fan of it. The novel, the old tv series and the new movie. I don’t think he fits in MK though because of what he is as a creature. It’s true that “it” has no true form. He is pure evil. But how does the basic consumer know “it”?

He’s a clown right? I can understand your excitement for a supernatural killer clown from the cosmos. Why is he a clown though? So he can get close to kids and scare the piss out of them. “It” feeds on fear. It’s harder to scare an adult than it is kids, that’s literally the whole reason he has the clown form. In the MK universe it is not scaring anyone. I love the character but I don’t think he fits.

I would rather have the killer klowns from outer space as the “ninja turtle” squad.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I really need to clear up what Pennywise is to people who haven't read the books. Pennywise isn't a shapeshifting Clown that got offed by a bunch of kids because they stuck it with a poker or something. None of the film versions went into this very well, but IT's destruction was basically orchestrated by God from the beginning. Literal divine intervention was bringing these kids together and empowering them to fight Pennywise. Otherwise, they couldn't have even scratched it.

Pennywise is a malevolent Lovecraftian Old God more ancient than our universe and exists outside of it. It feeds on fear and projects itself into this universe as whatever it thinks you're most afraid of. Since it mostly feeds on children because of their simple terrors, the base form is a clown.
Nope

xXRagingFlameXx

Pennywise can kill adults too, you guys. Not just children. In the book, the first person we witness him kill is an adult.

"In the book, adults would often get an odd feeling of uneasiness when Pennywise was close by, but most of them couldn’t see him."
(Now he definitely has to have a move in MK11 where he goes invisible)
He mostly goes after kids because they are far easier to scare, far more fun to scare and far tastier--But he does kill adults - the original township of Derry, for example."
(These are quotes from posts on Quora.)

Also, MK characters do get scared. (Are we forgetting that Kabal fatality from way back when, where Kabal literally scares them to death?)

I mean, if that scares them, a killer shapeshifting monster definitely will. Although, I think this point is stupid and that's just a reach to not have him in. Leatherface and Jason wouldn't have been able to scratch an MK character. So, why suddenly worry about realism when it comes to Pennywise? He fits the aesthetic more than either of them. Pennywise could actually put up a fight against an MK character because it makes sense. Leatherface is just a guy with a chainsaw. Pennywise is practically a God of Fear.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Are you disagreeing with my interpretation, or just still don't find the character appealing? If that doesn't do anything to influence your opinion, that's all fine and dandy. I didn't expect it to change people's minds, but I would at least like to inform.

But I'm pretty sure I remember the plot of It and the characterization of Pennywise fairly well.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
They can’t see him because they aren’t scared lol. He can kill anyone but he doesn’t for the reasons you quoted.

They could just make a clown in the sewer intro and a clown with moves but I don’t think it would do the character justice. That’s just my opinion I’m not trying to call you wrong or kill your hype.

Fair point on the Kabal scare lol. I just don’t think the combo would benefit either franchise. My opinion.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Are you disagreeing with my interpretation, or just still don't find the character appealing? If that doesn't do anything to influence your opinion, that's all fine and dandy. I didn't expect it to change people's minds, but I would at least like to inform.

But I'm pretty sure I remember the plot of It and the characterization of Pennywise fairly well.
Havik is more scary

xXRagingFlameXx

"""Essentially, It lives off of the fears of other's; children believe in monsters, and that they "exist" under the veil of darkness. This quote from the novel confirms this:

What does It really eat, for instance?[...] Certainly we have all been taught since earliest childhood that what the monster does when it catches you in the deep wood is eat you. That is perhaps the worst thing we can conceive. But it’s really faith that monsters live on, isn’t it? I am led irresistibly to this conclusion: food may be life, but the source of power is faith, not food. And who is more capable of a total act of faith than a child? It, Derry: The Fourth Interlude
As such, naturally, It's main source of food is the contemporary fears of children; It can simply implement the same formula each time to lure It's adolescent victims; take the shape of what the child fears most and when they're least prepared, and bon appetit! However, when it comes to adults, the formula isn't so simple; their thoughts and fears are more complex and It despises this gross rationality. However, this doesn't mean that It won't occasionally feed on adults, and, more often than not, It will manipulate them in order to provide him his younger victims. This quote summarises this nicely:

It had always fed well on children. Many adults could be used without knowing they had been used, and It had even fed on a few of the older ones over the years—adults had their own terrors, and their glands could be tapped, opened so that all the chemicals of fear flooded the body and salted the meat. But their fears were mostly too complex. The fears of children were simpler and usually more powerful. The fears of children could often be summoned up in a single face . . . and if bait were needed, why, what child did not love a clown? It, Under the City, 3
It manipulating the Derry adult populus was sort of touched on in the later scenes of the 2017 movie adaptation when, spoilers, Bev's dad goes mental on Beverly, and Mrs. K tries to prevent Eddie from leaving the house and helping Bev.

Explanation
Now, with this background in mind, you need to understand that much of Pennywise's influence over his victims is due to their faith in the plausibility of what they see. A child is much more likely to accept the materialisation of, say, a werewolf or a bathroom covered in blood rather than an adult. Does this mean that the blood wasn't actually there? Well, it depends on from whose perspective; the children didn't have such a hard time in believing what they saw seeing as they had already encountered It once before, therefore Pennywise's deception had full control over them, and, hence, the blood was real to them. As for Bev's father, however, this wasn't the case.

Instead (in the novel at least), Bev's father rationalises Bev's fright under the guise that a spider scared her instead. This quote shows this:

“Now explain yourself,” he [Bev's father] said, “and make it quick.”[...] “There was a spider. A big fat black spider. It . . . it crawled out of the drain and I . . . I guess it crawled back down.” “Oh!” He smiled a little at her now, as if pleased by this explanation. “Was that it? Damn! If you’d told me, Beverly, I never would have hit you. All girls are scared of spiders. Sam Hill! Why didn’t you speak up?” It, Cleaning Up, 2
Obviously, Pennywise could extend his "power" to make Bev's father see the blood too, but what's the point of that? Doing so would only add to Bev's alarm, and prove to augment her weariness; it's better for It to lull his victims into a false sense of security and take them when they're least prepared."""
This is from a post on 'movies.stackexchange'

But, there you have it. Pennywise could very well attack adults and make them scared, he simply chooses not to because it's easier to use a child's fear against them than an adult's. If he wants them to, adults can see him, he can make adults fear him but it just requires too much effort on his part. That doesn't mean he can't do it.

So, that doesn't mean he can't make himself visible to Johnny Cage and fight the shit out of him. He very well can.

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
So pennywise manipulates Johnny Cage into having Cassie so he can feed on her? He goes out of his way to fight the people who are the least likely to be scared of him? I just don’t like the premise. It doesn’t want a challenge, it wants to feed.

I’m not disputing about what he can do, I’m disbuting what he does. Which is feed on kids because it’s the easiest path. Adults don’t believe generally so they don’t see him, correct. MK characters would be more likely to believe in the “monster under the bed” than a regular human in the in the franchise. This is true but it still doesn’t make it a good idea imo. He’s not a typical horror slash villain.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I think the other horror legends do have personality, but just different. I honestly find Pennywise and Freddy somewhat similar in regards to them needing kids to FEAR them. Only difference is one is in your dreams, the other in reality.

Jason when his mommy isn't killing for him and the key to resurrecting him, he's just pissy about being left to drown by horny camp counselors and has been shown to be weak with water.

Freddy gets weaker when kids can't dream nor fear him, same with Pennywise if the kids stand up to him and dont give into their fears, gets beat.

Chucky has an interesting backstory but isn't taken seriously due to his size uses his killing, sneaky skills and voodoo magic to split himself easily to dispatch than others but otherwise not many weaknesses.

Leatherface is literally a mentally slow hick who runs around with chainsaw that is more disturbed than scary. Probably the easiest to kill.

Michael Myers's personality is pure rage, evil that drives him. Depending on the continuity, it's either eliminating his family, pure rage or having a fucked up childhood that pushes him over the edge(depending on the timeline and universe) Either way he's pure evil and doesn't get beat by kids like some other horror guys. His kills also fit MK as well as anyone else in horror easily. Literally is considered the epitome of evil by both Carpenter, the fans and Loomus(his doctor throughout the franchise) Has no weaknesses nor connection to anyone, and the few times we have seen him it's been really brief. Otherwise his original concept by Carpenter is he just kills and has this odd connection to Haddonfield and like the others never dies for good, though unlike some of the others who've had help coming back. He doesn't and always comes back on his own.

Pennywise is alright, I don't hate him per-se but I just wouldn't put him in as a first horror choice. To be honest and this coming from a huge horror fan myself, he's only valid due to the movie being a hit in 2017 otherwise he wouldn't even be in this discussion to be honest. A clown in MK...eh IDK how he'd be received honestly. Freddy, Jason, Myers, Leatherface etc look gritty and dark. Pennywise is would just stand out like a virgin in a whore house with those bright colors. But I would recommend seeing the movie and part II hits this summer so excited for that! That all being said, anyone in horror who hasn't been used yet such as Myers, Pennywise, Chucky and Pinhead who stand out to me atm can be used as we've seen NRS get very creative. I said once before that I'd love to see Chucky have two variations, Charles Lee Ray as a human serial killer and then the doll form in the good guy. Yes, he'd have different hitboxes but now days we have patches, balancing etc so it wouldn't be like Yoda back in SC with his bs. Plus, they can always make Chucky take more damage to balance it out or something. I mean think about it, MVC they have that silly lego head thing and MegaMan who are both small. Legohead thing is no doubt smaller than Chucky...lol

Last edited:

xXRagingFlameXx

No, if he wanted to attack Johnny Cage he very well could. But, would he prefer to go after a young Cassie who'd be easier to scare? (he only prefers them scared because scared people taste better) Yes. But, he could and would go after Johnny whether he was scared or not.

So, he'd go after anyone on the MK roster whether they were scared or not. If he's hungry he'll go after whoever, whatever age, and beat them up so he can eat them lmao.

The Losers club put up a challenge, but did he still go after them? Yeah. He could've said 'fuck it, I'll go after another group of kids'. If anything, him fighting them would be perfect in MK.

What's scarier than going up against something who doesn't look like a threat to you then finding out they very much are a threat and will kill you? By the time Pennywise goes to hit them with a fatality they'll be scared lmao.

Holy Shit, fatality idea: The opponent is staggering as they always do when they're about to get fatalitied. Pennywise simply says "Time to Float..." (He'll be mid distance from the opponent) And starts walking towards them like he does in this scene--

I've linked this scene so many times, but it's literally my favorite scene in the whole movie.

--The opponent who's being fatalitied looks over and falls to the ground (basically recreating the scene above) crawling backwards scared and he grabs them by the neck and holds them up. Then stretches his face apart, just like in the same scene and could bite chunks out of their face (bonus points if he's laughing and mocking them). There's another scene in the movie where he opens his face and makes Beverly float, I feel like that'd be better as a win pose similar to Predator's win post in MKX.

Pennywise is would just stand out like a virgin in a whore house with those bright colors.
The 2017 Pennywise design isn't that colorful. Those colors are a lot more muted compared to the Tim Curry version. (I mean, the only colors on the 2017 version are white and red) Besides, there are a lot of colors in MK11 anyway. If you were talking about MKX then maybe I'd get it, but MK11 is colorful anyway. That's why I think Pennywise aesthetically fits very well. He's grittier when it comes to visual aesthetic, but has personality beyond that more so than half the other horror villains.

And I mean, we're likely going to get 4 Guests so I can see them being Spawn, Pennywise, Michael Myers, aaaaand someone else. As long as NRS make Michael Myers interesting despite the fact he doesn't talk (I hate characters who don't talk. It just feels bleh to me)

But I'm also hype for the IT Chapter 2.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The 2017 Pennywise design isn't that colorful. Those colors are a lot more muted compared to the Tim Curry version. (I mean, the only colors on the 2017 version are white and red) Besides, there are a lot of colors in MK11 anyway. If you were talking about MKX then maybe I'd get it, but MK11 is colorful anyway. That's why I think Pennywise aesthetically fits very well. He's grittier when it comes to visual aesthetic, but has personality beyond that more so than half the other horror villains.

And I mean, we're likely going to get 4 Guests so I can see them being Spawn, Pennywise, Michael Myers, aaaaand someone else. As long as NRS make Michael Myers interesting despite the fact he doesn't talk (I hate characters who don't talk. It just feels bleh to me)

But I'm also hype for the IT Chapter 2.
Yeah that's true, I mean it's still lighter than most characters in the game but I did like how it had this dirty, ragety look to it vs the 90's TV movie version that one looked straight out of an amusement park(perhaps it was just the time period but you know what I mean compared to the 2017 version lol)

Though I would hope if PW got in, we'd have options to mess with his costume. You do raise a good point on MK X vs MK 11, MK 11 does seem a bit more colorful. MK X had a lot of desaturated look, lack of color look to it. MK 11 still looks dark but definitely has more colors at times so they could make it work. I mean personality, they all have one but it's very different and unique. I'll use that word, unique. Pennywise and Freddy have to lure you in so they joke, deceive you first. Michael and Jason don't talk, but they're smart, silent, cunning and just evil and brutal. Chucky is sneaky, probably has the biggest personality for the smallest one(ironic) cause he's been everything. Serious, dark, silent, jokey, campy and even comical. I guess Freddy could fall into this one as well. The thing that I love about Michael that nobody really talks about is in earlier movies, he had this creepy breathing yet didn't seem human. It's like, the others(with Pennywise being an exception) you know are or were human at one point. Pinhead is a demon I believe, though I read rumors a long time ago he was human as to why he looks that way but not true how that is.

They can make Myers talk in regards to body language like him doing the creepy head tilt, heavy breathing, carrying a head that looks like a jack-o-lantern then dropping it and stepping on it etc or have him pull out his knife from one of his hands, or eye or something lol. Would be a nice nod to the movies. They'd do something like that pretty much what they did with Jason. I was kind of bummed they didn't use Myers before Jason since Michael is no doubt the inspiration for that kind of horror slasher. But yeah hopefully they put a few of them in.

If I could choose guests, I'd go with Spawn(obviously he'll get in I'm almost positive) Michael Myers, Pennywise and Terminator. They've been talking alot over the years of both Terminator and Myers on a tweet I made back in MK 9 Ed responded with "that could work" when I posted a pic of him. Dynasty made a few vids about it since then.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Word? We're really trying to apply logic and established lore as to why Penny should be in MK? Stop wasting your time. If Jason can reel in pain from getting kicked in the nuts, Penny can give Scorpion a quick scare. No need to lose sleep over the minor details of it

A shapeshifting eldritch being is way more palatable than boring mute with knife #2, so It wouldn't be the worst idea for a guest but I doubt NRS could do that description justice.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Put this clown in INJ3. He fits there very well. INJ games are a circus, to be precise.

Espio

Kokomo
I honestly went from totally against the inclusion to indifferent so that means you did some good work I suppose lol.

Spawn and Pennywise might be the guest anchors for the pack. Definitely sounds significantly better than vanilla slasher Michael Myers. I didn't mind Freddy as a guest because he had some semblance of style and uniqueness to him. Not saying I was thrilled with him, but if we must get guests I want to laugh at their antics or be wow'd by them instead of them being like oatmeal.

Watched the clip also and if there's no Havik in this, I think the contortionist style of attacks and movement would be a great contrast to add to his move set because currently nobody else has anything like that of the revealed and rumored roster.