What's new

Discussion Patches overwhelmingly help NRS games not hurt them

Do you think NRS patching strategy is much better this time?

• Yes

Votes: 74 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • In between overeall

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters
yes u could b321 into hat mb or not is/was backdash or armorable
You could armor between the string, but you would probably get punished for it. Kung Lao has enough time to block so it's not worth the meter unless you have something really safe (most characters don't).

Most backdashes will still get tagged by it (aside from maybe 2), so that is also not worthwhile.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
yes u could b321 into hat mb or not is/was backdash or armorable
He had a run option select that would blow up backdash and could block armored moves unless it was reptile slide or cassie flip. He also had 112124 which jailed with ex hat. Stop spreading misinformation.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Patches, Patches, Patches. The game has been out for less than 3 months, and the game has been dramatically changed a few times now. It's almost as if once we get accustomed to a new version, a patch drops UNEXPECTEDLY and we are forced to relearn characters, MUs, strategies, etc. This isn't fair for players who travel to compete.

Does no one else see a problem with this? People are quickly starting to get turned off by these actions and many have dropped the game due to it. I get NRS is trying to make the game as perfect as possible, and they're doing a damn good job at it, but IDK, it just doesn't feel right knowing we keep getting updates every couple weeks.

On top of the patching, they aren't even patching some stuff that makes this game very annoying at times. For example, the current meta includes jump attacks, and with little to no AAs to counter that, jump attacks are absurdly strong ATM. I'd love to see NRS TAKE THEIR TIME and put out a patch that can deal with things like this. Option selects are another thing as well that need to go.

Idk if we are getting a patch before EVO, but if not, I'd like to sit on this version of the game for a while, and let NRS take their time on the next (and hopefully final) balance update. Let's try not to have another 5 patches before Autumn.

I'm just venting...

Last edited:

Zebster

How's my volume?
It's funny to see what people on TYM think about the constant patches, compared to how top players who dabble in MK see it. They all see it as a negative thing.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
How many people have dropped the game? We need names, otherwise is just an empty statement that is thrown out way too often.

Today's patch is the patch before EVO. We're not getting another one at least for these couple of weeks.

EDIT: Also I would like to say something we as a community seem to forget despite what has happened in the past 2 games: They patch and hotfix frequently in a short period of time because we only get 6+ month period from the relase of the game worth of balancing. It don't know whether it's an NRS thing or WBGames decides that, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I like the frequency of the patching, keeps things interesting and fresh.

Until the low-tier and useless variations/characters are fixed, they can keep on at it.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Loading time for some players on the connecting online screen stays their for like 30 mins regardless what you do

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
How many people have dropped the game? We need names, otherwise is just an empty statement that is thrown out way too often.

Today's patch is the patch before EVO. We're not getting another one at least for these couple of weeks.
we shouldn't be getting one for a LONG TIME. Not a couple of weeks from now. That's my point and that's whats turning people off

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Patches, Patches, Patches. The game has been out for less than 3 months, and the game has been dramatically changed a few times now. It's almost as if once we get accustomed to a new version, a patch drops UNEXPECTEDLY and we are forced to relearn characters, MUs, strategies, etc. This isn't fair for players who travel to compete.

Does no one else see a problem with this? People are quickly starting to get turned off by these actions and many have dropped the game due to it. I get NRS is trying to make the game as perfect as possible, and they're doing a damn good job at it, but IDK, it just doesn't feel right knowing we keep getting updates every couple weeks.

On top of the patching, they aren't even patching some stuff that makes this game very annoying at times. For example, the current meta includes jump attacks, and with little to no AAs to counter that, jump attacks are absurdly strong ATM. I'd love to see NRS TAKE THEIR TIME and put out a patch that can deal with things like this. Option selects are another thing as well that need to go.

Idk if we are getting a patch before EVO, but if not, I'd like to sit on this version of the game for a while, and let NRS take their time on the next (and hopefully final) balance update. Let's try not to have another 5 patches before Autumn.

I'm just venting...
Don't take this the wrong way, my dude, but you could always stop playing NRS games seriously. It's been like this since MK9 and won't change. There are other fighters out there.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash

I'm just venting...
I think AA's are pretty strong though as is. I'm with you on the constant patching.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It's a double edged sword, the patches definitely help the games over all balance.

IT does hurt it when it comes to multi game players though, those are the guys that are going to drop it, as they treat it as a fun side game, and don't care enough to keep up.

It won't kill the game, but it is a little sad when you go from 1000 entrants at one EVO, to 350 entrants and a saturday grand finals the next year.

Slymind

Noob
Because constantly having to relearn stuff out of the blue is *Ding* not fun for a lot of people. If their was at least a consistent patch schedule t wouldn't be as awful but they drop right out of the blue every damn time. Now we got players that have barely a week to relearn MUs for ESL & barely two for EVO. This shit is frustrating.

This patch especially is awful because hey if you're character has a really good top 8 showing with multiple players it puts the fear of "Is my shot getting psyched?" in competitors. I've defended NRS a ton but this past week has me throwing my hands in the air.
But that's kind of overstatement in many cases, people talk like they have to re-invent the wheel everytime the game is patched, some adjustments will be required yes, but if you know the character and the game, you will know what's new before long, some people already start grasping the changes even before testing, via the changes' log only, the game is not reset, it's just tuned, some people just like being overly dramatic.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Personally, as a Shinnok main the patches haven't really ever hit home for me. Like, he was buffed a considerable amount, got a reasonable nerf that he likely needed simply because +22 is a lot of plus frames, and he can still take advantage of it. Since my sub is War God Kotal, haven't had an issue with him either.

However, if I mained any other character that got adjusted like a Liu Kang or D'Vorah I probably would be very pissed off they keep messing with characters before seeing their full potential or anything.

I also don't like this particular patch because some characters still arguably need something. Sub once again is left untouched despite people saying Unbreakable and Cryo deserve something. What about Johnny Cage? He hasn't received much of anything except one nerf.

When it comes to multi-game players, most have already dropped the game and cited the patches as a reason why. I mean, KelvinJeon, KBrad... Other famous players have said something about the game and how they hate the constant patches, because NRS is the only developer that does this in a fighting game. There is a particular reason why games need to be played out before massive patches or fixes come out. I remember CrimsonShadow saying something about how "League/DOTA2 players adapt, why can't we?" When that statement is A: not really relatable to fighting games. B: Not accurate as League players hate how many champions there are due to them making others obsolete in a sense, so patches are constantly needed regardless and C: DOTA 2 receives very few patches.

I think of Flame Fist Liu as a good example. Sure there were things wrong with the variation, but to buff it so quickly instead of taking time to see exactly what he needs is a much better approach. I also like that they revert the one frame links D'Vorah had, something she never really needed as a nerf because it does nothing technically to nerf her but make her harder to play.

Games need to be played out before patches, and if there was something that should be patched by now, it's the netcode. All these balance patches are great, but once again NRS fails to shake off it's rep, and it affects every scene whether some would like to admit it or not. There was a reason why many were waiting, taking a wait and see approach to the game. However,

It's a double edged sword, the patches definitely help the games over all balance.

IT does hurt it when it comes to multi game players though, those are the guys that are going to drop it, as they treat it as a fun side game, and don't care enough to keep up.

It won't kill the game, but it is a little sad when you go from 1000 entrants at one EVO, to 350 entrants and a saturday grand finals the next year.
I assure you it's not just those players either. Many NRS players aside from your current tourney goers, and even then some of which have posted in this topic have stated they don't like the approach. There's many negatives for not letting a meta play out before the patches hit. Anyone who may of been potentially interested in MKX by now has been completely turned off or already learned to embrace these rapid-fire patches. This stunts scene growth.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
I don't think NRS has learn from their previous games when it comes to patching
I think the ones who didn't learn are the players. NRS is doing what they consider the smart move: they are trying to leave as many fans satisfied as possible. We are the ones who have to convince them that we want only the seriously bad stuff to be patched, like infinites (real infinites, not Hellfire's Fireball Cancels or Tempest's EN Hat Spin) and errors.

Personally, as a Shinnok main the patches haven't really ever hit home for me. Like, he was buffed a considerable amount, got a reasonable nerf that he likely needed simply because +22 is a lot of plus frames, and he can still take advantage of it. Since my sub is War God Kotal, haven't had an issue with him either.

However, if I mained any other character that got adjusted like a Liu Kang or D'Vorah I probably would be very pissed off they keep messing with characters before seeing their full potential or anything.

I also don't like this particular patch because some characters still arguably need something. Sub once again is left untouched despite people saying Unbreakable and Cryo deserve something. What about Johnny Cage? He hasn't received much of anything except one nerf.

When it comes to multi-game players, most have already dropped the game and cited the patches as a reason why. I mean, KelvinJeon, KBrad... Other famous players have said something about the game and how they hate the constant patches, because NRS is the only developer that does this in a fighting game. There is a particular reason why games need to be played out before massive patches or fixes come out. I remember CrimsonShadow saying something about how "League/DOTA2 players adapt, why can't we?" When that statement is A: not really relatable to fighting games. B: Not accurate as League players hate how many champions there are due to them making others obsolete in a sense, so patches are constantly needed regardless and C: DOTA 2 receives very few patches.

I think of Flame Fist Liu as a good example. Sure there were things wrong with the variation, but to buff it so quickly instead of taking time to see exactly what he needs is a much better approach. I also like that they revert the one frame links D'Vorah had, something she never really needed as a nerf because it does nothing technically to nerf her but make her harder to play.

Games need to be played out before patches, and if there was something that should be patched by now, it's the netcode. All these balance patches are great, but once again NRS fails to shake off it's rep, and it affects every scene whether some would like to admit it or not. There was a reason why many were waiting, taking a wait and see approach to the game. However,

I assure you it's not just those players either. Many NRS players aside from your current tourney goers, and even then some of which have posted in this topic have stated they don't like the approach. There's many negatives for not letting a meta play out before the patches hit. Anyone who may of been potentially interested in MKX by now has been completely turned off or already learned to embrace these rapid-fire patches. This stunts scene growth.
Agree with your comment overall. Just one thing: this NRS patch shouldn't be criticized for not touching many characters, since they're obviously releasing it so that it can be used at EVO and people don't see a Top 8 filled with Tanyas, like many were fearing since CEO.

I don't see this discussion going anywhere. People will keep asking for patches. Now we have some of those who were pro-patch when their character was bad (and they didn't want to switch, but to annoy the rest, instead) saying patches are bad for the game, because their characters have been "normalized" also.