What's new

Discussion Patches overwhelmingly help NRS games not hurt them

Do you think NRS patching strategy is much better this time?

• Yes

Votes: 74 60.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • In between overeall

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
They fixed Jax's inboxes and thus viable midscreen combos that no longer require constant tournament level execution,I'm satisfied,all he needs now is less impossible brutalities

I'm tempted, and have been for a while, to start a thread that coalates all of the whiff issues in the game, such as mids that can the neutral ducked, Sub's clone not coming out depending on whether or not his back is towards the player, etc. If I was to do this, would other community members help contribute their findings? I want it to cover everybody, but I don't have the time or resources to do it all by myself. Hopefully if we get them all flagged, we can get them fixed (or at least an explanation as to why things won't/can't be fixed).

d3v

SRK
See I hear this a lot, and normally I'd agree. But this is an NRS game, and like it or not, NRS games, (especially MK games), are simply prone to having broken tools in them. Maybe it's because of the chip damage, or how you build meter, or the utility of certain trademark moves, or whatever.

I agree with you that it doesn't make for a good look to other communities. But do you really want to have a whole year of Tanya Pre-CEO? Or Raiden 6f mids? Or Sorceror Quan 2x glyphs? Or Injustice Scorpion/Superman pre-EVO 2013?

How about the other end. Remember when Mileena was actually punished for LANDING a Telekick? Or when Kitana had a worthless D1 and only high Fans? What about version 1 Shinnok? Etc.

Also keep in mind that what needs to be balanced likely will change anyway due to 4 new characters being brought in as DLC with little to no field testing. It's not always as simple as "let it rock".
Have you tried Capcom games? The balanced ones are actually few and far between. Ultra and AE2012 are more the exception to the rule.

Remember AE Yun and Yang, or how about Vanilla Sagat? Better yet, 3S Chun, Yun and Ken, MvC2 4 Gods, etc.?

Aside from that, I don't think MKX has ever had a chance to see a the meta shift in a way not affected by a patch. Compare with how Ultra SFIV's top tiers look now compared to last year. Elena is considered one of the game's "problems", but was bottom back when the game came out in 2014. Better yet, look at Vanilla SFIV, everybody remembers Sagat, but based on what we know now, the real top tiers of that version were Akuma, Cammy and possibly Gen.

Last edited:

n1kosh

Train harder
I have noticed that after last patch the game started to be micro changes after connecting to the network. For Example: KungLao's f2 is mid now. f2 was high in september! Sonya's b1 became longer and pulls out from the start now. Also frame data changes

Gofer_MK_

Banned
I'm not happy, they always neglect Kano and Kenshi, or give them stuff that they don't need/are not helpful in any way.

Have you tried Capcom games? The balanced ones are actually few and far between. Ultra and AE2012 are more the exception to the rule.

Remember AE Yun and Yang, or how about Vanilla Sagat? Better yet, 3S Chun, Yun and Ken, MvC2 4 Gods, etc.?

Aside from that, I don't think MKX has ever had a chance to see a the meta shift in a way not affected by a patch. Compare with how Ultra SFIV's top tiers look now compared to last year. Elena is considered one of the game's "problems", but was bottom back when the game came out in 2014. Better yet, look at Vanilla SFIV, everybody remembers Sagat, but based on what we know now, the real top tiers of that version were Akuma, Cammy and possibly Gen.
As far as I know 3s never got ANY patches. Which is different than having limited patches. I'll give you that 3s was a fucked up game balance wise though. Same with MvC2. Plus, you didn't have the large amount of online and streaming exposure to advance the meta nearly as quickly as we do now.

As for SF4, debating who the real top tiers were in Vanilla in retrospect is not the same argument. I'm talking about seeing clearly overpowering or unreasonably weak/buggy tools and just "waiting for more time to pass". Yun and Yang were stupid in AE, and many players WISHED something would've been done about them sooner. I don't know too many players who would've said otherwise at the time.

Patches won't continue forever, and once they stop we're stuck with whatever game we have. Better to get as much corrected as possible while we can right?

Last edited:

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
EH. They kept releasing Patched right before tournaments giving people little time to prepare in some instances. The time apart was okay but the timing itself was not the best.

Patching has been good, they stopped patching a few months ago to give players a chance to figure out stuff more, and then for KP2 do the adjustments needed, some characters need small buffs some others small nerfs, but the game is looking good.

Well I asked them to let me combo off of Kitana's MB DB2, because the move was useless in its current form, and they did it. So yeah they're doing an impeccable job :)

Seriously though they do a pretty good job of listening to the fans and adjusting accordingly.

To the OP's point:
Yes. Personally, I do like how careful they're trying to be with patching. But god damn, if they could just find a way to make the first versions of these games' characters a little less bullshit on launch...

Good thing we can all record video now to find most of the stuff they can't.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I don't see anything wrong with the patching strategy, I just hold reservations about the game's actual balance. They aren't doing anything wrong with taking their time and letting the game breathe in between patches. It just that sometimes I question what all the changes really even mean for the games meta. I don't feel the variation system is all it was cracked up to be, with characters having a single variation that outshines the other two or an entire variation that is completely irrelevant.

Not to mention some characters really aren't taken care of at all and fall off the face of the earth:

I literally forgot Kano was in the game.