What's new

Our Dysfunctional Family (The NRS Community)

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I watched the ChrisG thing live and he had some real points, he also spread some misinformation and overgeneralized, it was a kind of a mixed bag.
Generalization is stupid, as always, and that's was like half his argument. Besides that though I agree with him.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Generalization is stupid, as always, and that's was like half his argument. Besides that though I agree with him.
And the fact that he used Raptor's tweet to back up his generalization definitely did not look for the scene. I obviously haven't been there in the beginning but i have to admit, i even feel it NOW from OGs in the scene that they treat people like shit. So i do see truth in what Chris G is saying.

The question is....how are we going to make it better?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
OK, I appreciate your response, however I wholeheartedly disagree with you on most of your points.

First, I take issue with the implication that I am not thinking for myself. Just because I AGREE with people that you DISAGREE with doesn't mean I'm not thinking for myself, nor does it make ME (or you) wrong. It means you and I disagree, and it DOES NOT mean that any people who disagree with you aren't thinking for themselves or are incapable of it. If that were the case, then I could say the same of you and anyone who agrees with you, but I didn't and I won't. I suggest you consider the same.

-Yes, people regularly play new games upon release and then go back to their preferred game of choice. This has nothing to do with money.

-I never called any new player a bandwagoner. I specifically referenced players who regularly and consistently chase money in a new game, then drop the game after they realize they cannot compete, or worse yet, only play the game because there's money in it, and then hypocritically tell the community they should "do what I say, not what I do". These people criticize our community for doing PRECISELY what they did; not support the game. You know what you call someone who only follows a team for a brief period until they ride out the high time? That's called a bandwagoner. New players are not bandwagoners. They should be encouraged and cultivated. The bandwagoners should be called out for telling us what to do when they aren't willing to do it themselves.

-No, ANY attention is not good attention. When you have players like Justin Wong, LI Joe, etc, who are all well known non-NRS players who are seen at the beginning of the game's lifespan supporting and playing, and then VERY QUICKLY drop it and disappear, then the message that sends to the FGC at large is "Once again NRS has created a game that isn't worth the time of the most recognizable players in our industry." How is THAT good attention? Good attention would be "Some of the most recognizable players in our industry, such as Justin Wong, LI Joe, Chris G, etc all agree with the top NRS players like Sonic Fox, Tweedy, etc. that NRS has created a game that is worth supporting long term in tournaments and is sustainable as an FGC game and not just a niche NRS player game".

-You specifically say, "They're only calling it like they see it" Let me remind you, that these are YOUR words. However, when I called it like I saw it, you took issue with it and said I'm not thinking for myself. Why are players who are not members of our community for more than a month at a time upon release of a new game being afforded a luxury that I'm not? I support NRS. I still play MK9, Injustice 1, MKX and Injustice 2. Why is my word and opinion worth less than someone who won't stick around for longer than a month? I have just as much right to call it as I see it as the 1-monthers that you're defending. Consider affording your community members and their opinions with as much respect as you are affording the hypocrites who criticize us after they drop our games, lest you risk ruling a barren land.

-Who am I? I'm the same as you, minus a blue name. You're not in any more or less of a position to tell me, or anyone else, that someone's opinion is worth more, is valued more, or whose actions can be considered bandwagoning or not. That's a VERY off-putting comment. You're no better than I am, and please don't let your blue name confuse you into thinking you are. I recognize a veiled threat when I see one. Who are you?

-Lastly, you're right, people need to play and have fun. That's exactly what I wrote in my post on the "your expectations for MK11" thread, that I want to play it and have fun with it, and accept it for what it is.

I have no issues with you, but I have some problems with the way you spoke to me. Just because you disagree with me doesn't give you any right to treat me as disrespectfully as you did, to dismiss my opinions as brainless and thoughtless, or to insinuate that you know better through a veiled threat of being a moderator.
Let me say this right now.

Chris G and LI Joe have deep history with NRS/Midway titles, whether they're "good" at the games or not. They both tend to play a wide variety of games, and LI Joe has always done what he can to give NRS games the spotlight at events he runs or help runs. Ask some of the people who have been around him and interacted with him. Chris G was entering MK and Injustice well before the extremely vast majority of people currently on the site even knew NRS titles had a competitive scene. I've been witness to this myself. Justin Wong was playing MKD back in the day with Tom Brady, and even came out to and entered the first MLG event for MK9 out of support for the games...and that was almost a YEAR after the game had been out. These guys definitely play NRS games for lengthy times. But things are also very different now and they all have different focuses within the scene now.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
And the fact that he used Raptor's tweet to back up his generalization definitely did not look for the scene. I obviously haven't been there in the beginning but i have to admit, i even feel it NOW from OGs in the scene that they treat people like shit. So i do see truth in what Chris G is saying.

The question is....how are we going to make it better?
I saw the tweets from the people clowning on Raptor for that it was pretty sad coming from top players.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I am not defending how people in our community act but I can see why some people act the way they do towards other fighting game communities, especially Street Fighter. For a long time a lot of SF players talked mad s*** about MK and a lot still do so I see it as people kind of giving back what they received for so long.

Like I said I don't agree with it because it's childish and I think you should treat others how you want to be treated rather than dropping down to their level but I see why some MK fans are so bitter towards outsiders from other fighters.

And for the record SFV is my most played game this gen so im not a hater lol

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I saw the tweets from the people clowning on Raptor for that it was pretty sad coming from top players.
To be absolutely fair, they didn’t know about what Raptor was dealing with. If they knew, or he told them beforehand, none of them are dumb or insensitive enough to poke fun at someone that has a legitimate issue. They thought he just got mad when people asked why he was quiet. They even thought him blocking Scar was just a joke, they didn’t know it was a serious thing. If you’ve never encountered an extreme introvert there’s really no way of knowing the signs.

Look, I can promise you if people knew they would have left Raptor alone to do his thing. Like Scar legitimately asked him and he could have told him then, but didn’t, imo it’s hard to fault someone for not knowing the situation. You can’t just walk on eggshells and assume everyone is this way.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
To be absolutely fair, they didn’t know about what Raptor was dealing with. If they knew, or he told them beforehand, none of them are dumb or insensitive enough to poke fun at someone that has a legitimate issue. They thought he just got mad when people asked why he was quiet. They even thought him blocking Scar was just a joke, they didn’t know it was a serious thing. If you’ve never encountered an extreme introvert there’s really no way of knowing the signs.

Look, I can promise you if people knew they would have left Raptor alone to do his thing. Like Scar legitimately asked him and he could have told him then, but didn’t, imo it’s hard to fault someone for not knowing the situation. You can’t just walk on eggshells and assume everyone is this way.
Yeah I hear you for sure and that's why I did not want to link the posts, also those are not the posts I was referring to .

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Imo there's been good reason for the NRS scene to have a chip on its shoulder.

Imo a big part of this is that NRS games were terrible for competitive play until 2011, and to the extent competitive fighting game players ever even thought about the Mortal Kombat games of the late 90s and 2000s at all, it was only to rip on them. So when MK9 was coming out, we all assumed it would suck too. Lots of players didn't even consider trying it. Some of us picked it up and really liked it, but that was a pretty small percentage of the FGC. And then the wild over-patching of MK9, Inj1, and to a lesser degree even early MKX helped build the idea among non NRS players that NRS games get released broken & incomplete & get changed constantly, and they didn't want to deal with that. The perception was also that because the scene was small, the talent pool must have been weak, so players from other scenes could do well in NRS games if they cared to. I think that was basically true tbh, and wasn't totally false until like mid-MKX, but I get that saying it is not nice.

I don't think any of that is true anymore; the games are good, the balance patching was super reasonable for Inj2, and the players are strong. But those old perceptions persisted.

So the players have been dealing with this fallout since competitive NRS games began, and it's basically why players and organizers who didn't like NRS games have been mean about them in the past, and it's prob the biggest reason why the scene has ended up being smaller, more insular, and more defensive than other FGC scenes.

But on the other hand, NRS players have been getting a lot of great things that other scenes would love to have. The developer outreach & publisher support from NRS and WB are unmatched in fighting games. There's more money and TV time and opportunities per player, streamer, organizer, and commentator in the NRS scene than in any other fighting game scene.

Players in other scenes have grown less dickish about NRS games too. There are always challenges made across sub-genres when new games come out, and there are always players who try new games and then drop out; I don't think any of that stuff happens to the NRS scene more than other scenes nowadays. I still catch people talking about over-patching like it's still going on, but that happens much less nowadays too. Attacks from the rest of the FGC are down a lot.

So while I know historically there was good reason to have a chip on the shoulder, there's much less reason today. I hope that these old feelings die out. I know that kind of thing takes a while, but it's not doing anyone any favors while it persists.

Btw, if the leaked list for the Summit is right, it could have been better, but it's not that bad either. I agree with CrazyFingers that it showcases Mortal Kombat talent throughout the past few games. But in any case, it wouldn't be an example of the larger FGC disrespecting the NRS scene, it'd just be an endemic NRS dude making one or two controversial picks.
Exactly all of this. NRS scene at a point, did get shat on. KDZ kind of mentioned this on Chris G's stream yesterday, it's like a kid that got bullied but now they can speak up and they're overdoing it. I understand the paranoia but people gotta realize, like you said, none of it is warranted now. We are sooooo well off now.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
One thing I'll admit that always amused me(and this doesn't just go for our community but the internet in general) whenever someone makes a topic regardless of what it's about they don't like/approve of, then take the time to post "nobody cares" lmao well obviously they cared enough to take that 5 minutes to read the topic and get triggered enough to say "nobody cares" lol.:D

But regarding the topic, honestly sure we're flawed but then so is every community. You're never going to get everyone to agree on everything, just not happening. Nobody's perfect.

nugava

Noob
I am sad when people shit on players like Chris G, Perfect Legend, KDZ ? Would you shit on John McEnroe because he's not able to beat Federer ? No huh ? But McEnroe is still a fucking legend. Tweedy's reaction was fucking childish.
On the other hand, I think Chris G just needs love and hugs.

CrazyFingers

One thing I'll admit that always amused me(and this doesn't just go for our community but the internet in general) whenever someone makes a topic regardless of what it's about they don't like/approve of, then take the time to post "nobody cares" lmao well obviously they cared enough to take that 5 minutes to read the topic and get triggered enough to say "nobody cares" lol.:D

But regarding the topic, honestly sure we're flawed but then so is every community. You're never going to get everyone to agree on everything, just not happening. Nobody's perfect.
This point always confuses me. "We're flawed but everyone is, whatcha gonna do?" Like, improve? The community won't ever be perfect for sure but improvement is never bad and is always achievable. I'd rather not ignore the problem because others have similar issues.

My opinion that I didn't post before was that every side of that dramas was stupid and looked bad no exception but every side had some good.

I think part of what caused it was a mix of the whole NRS scene is too quiet now we need more heel. People like to say how cool it was back then with the heels and stuff but forgot all the drama that comes with it just look at the known FGC Heels to see that it causes more drama than it is worth and has mostly been phased out for good reason.

Tweedy had some valid point in the beginning and I was on his side, not about Chris G being invited to the summit but about the rumor that RIP was commentating over KP I thought that was wrong and could have been checked especially after seeing his commentary for e-league and not really liking it. But Tweedy didn't know when to stop after making his post starting going after everyone and Larry David his case. That can happen to the best of us I hope he has learned from it and calm down next time.

ChrisG had a point about people attacking him despite him for nothing and digging something he apparently apologized for. But he once again drew a line in the sand when he said to Tweedy he wasn't part of the NRS community(We all have different definition of community but for me If you have played an NRS game seriously for an extensive amount of time you're part of the community) then you have to remember that what did him in in the end was one of his own stupid hot take and the fact that he read RedRaptor tweet really triggered me and made me mad. He had no right to do that and it was disrespectful to RedRaptor imo who made this tweet to explain to the community how he felt. Red still is part of the community and didn't really blame it for what happened and it was low from Chris when you add it to his general generalizing and refusal to let anyone that thought differently from him talk(see rye's ban or dismissing Sonic'opinion etc). What he really wanted was an echo chamber and seeing some of his Chat it's what he got.

Wonderchef was wrong in calling for Tweedy to be banned in the first place but then he got called out by Tweedy for leaving the scene in the early days of injustice 2. But I'm gonna be fair here and honest I don't think Tweedy knew about his father but things blew up and ended up being Tweedy made fun of him for his dad's condition. I think over the year he has done some great things for the NRS scene bbuuuuutt again Wonderchef who has been part of community like the Street fighter community that had great member like OMGitzAndre who was known for frauding people out of hotel room until he got banned, Wolfkrone who is now infamous for cheating at CEO last year which got him banned and many other deed and come back to tell me that the NRS scene is the worst. I know what about-ism is bad but the misdeed of our scene are insignificant compared to some of the FGC scenes but because a few member flew off their handle we're the worst. He also said that our scene knows nothing but how to destroy the chances that are offered to us without the ability to build but then I think about Aquaman and all he has done for the scene the tournament he built, Destroyer who revived MKX by himself and what he said just pissed me off.

We could always get better but being told by people in worse community that we need to level up is annoying. It's like being told by someone who is in worse shape than you that you should try to stay in shape.Is he wrong? No but it's still annoying.

TL;DR This whole thing was bad no side was completely right everyone was kind of wrong. The NRS scene isn't specially unwelcoming but we can always do better.

EDIT I went back and reread the tweets and nvm Tweedy was wrong and truly attacked his dad

Last edited:

CrazyFingers

My opinion that I didn't post before was that every side of that dramas was stupid and looked bad no exception but every side had some good.

I think part of what caused it was a mix of the whole NRS scene is too quiet now we need more heel. People like to say how cool it was back then with the heels and stuff but forgot all the drama that comes with it just look at the known FGC Heels to see that it causes more drama than it is worth and has mostly been phased out for good reason.

Tweedy had some valid point in the beginning and I was on his side, not about Chris G being invited to the summit but about the rumor that RIP was commentating over KP I thought that was wrong and could have been checked especially after seeing his commentary for e-league and not really liking it. But Tweedy didn't know when to stop after making his post starting going after everyone and Larry David his case. That can happen to the best of us I hope he has learned from it and calm down next time.

ChrisG had a point about people attacking him despite him for nothing and digging something he apparently apologized for. But he once again drew a line in the sand when he said to Tweedy he wasn't part of the NRS community(We all have different definition of community but for me If you have played an NRS game seriously for an extensive amount of time you're part of the community) then you have to remember that what did him in in the end was one of his own stupid hot take and the fact that he read RedRaptor tweet really triggered me and made me mad. He had no right to do that and it was disrespectful to RedRaptor imo who made this tweet to explain to the community how he felt. Red still is part of the community and didn't really blame it for what happened and it was low from Chris when you add it to his general generalizing and refusal to let anyone that thought differently from him talk(see rye's ban or dismissing Sonic'opinion etc). What he really wanted was an echo chamber and seeing some of his Chat it's what he got.

Wonderchef was wrong in calling for Tweedy to be banned in the first place but then he got called out by Tweedy for leaving the scene in the early days of injustice 2. But I'm gonna be fair here and honest I don't think Tweedy knew about his father but things blew up and ended up being Tweedy made fun of him for his dad's condition. I think over the year he has done some great things for the NRS scene bbuuuuutt again Wonderchef who has been part of community like the Street fighter community that had great member like OMGitzAndre who was known for frauding people out of hotel room until he got banned, Wolfkrone who is now infamous for cheating at CEO last year which got him banned and many other deed and come back to tell me that the NRS scene is the worst. I know what about-ism is bad but the misdeed of our scene are insignificant compared to some of the FGC scenes but because a few member flew off their handle we're the worst. He also said that our scene knows nothing but how to destroy the chances that are offered to us without the ability to build but then I think about Aquaman and all he has done for the scene the tournament he built, Destroyer who revived MKX by himself and what he said just pissed me off.

We could always get better but being told by people in worse community that we need to level up is annoying. It's like being told by someone who is in worse shape than you that you should try to stay in shape.Is he wrong? No but it's still annoying.

TL;DR This whole thing was bad no side was completely right everyone was kind of wrong. The NRS scene isn't specially unwelcoming but we can always do better.
Just to note, Chef didnt want him banned he simply said he didnt want Tweedy to get voted in which is a different thing entirely which I feel is important.

Just to note, Chef didnt want him banned he simply said he didnt want Tweedy to get voted in which is a different thing entirely which I feel is important.
Fair enough still an unnecessary attack, If you don't like someone no need to go in their face to say I hate you hate begets hate

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
This point always confuses me. "We're flawed but everyone is, whatcha gonna do?" Like, improve? The community won't ever be perfect for sure but improvement is never bad and is always achievable. I'd rather not ignore the problem because others have similar issues.
I never said that there wasn't room for improvement and/or to ignore it, but my point was to better explain myself is I can't help but laugh at those people out there who seem to think "omg it's only NRS scene/fanbase that are imperfect they're so toxic har har" as if theirs are perfect or something. Sure there are some perhaps more organized than others, but I've read/heard quite a few stories proving other FGC can be just as toxic at times be it with drama or squabbles over their games mechanics, tiers etc. Personally, one way to eliminate a lot of problems is to eliminate the drama, I get it as someone who competes in local tourneys and is competitive online how people get serious but to the point where it's like WWE bs or like this beef with tweedy and PL, like who cares? It's just a damn game, it's NOT that serious lol. That's how I feel about that honestly. I miss the days of friendly competition, now it seems to be all about ego.

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
I am sad when people shit on players like Chris G, Perfect Legend, KDZ ? Would you shit on John McEnroe because he's not able to beat Federer ? No huh ? But McEnroe is still a fucking legend. Tweedy's reaction was fucking childish.
On the other hand, I think Chris G just needs love and hugs.
Pretty bad analogy for KDZ and PL, McEnroe doesn't constantly shit talk/say he could beat Federer

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
I have an idea, and this maybe a little bit abstract. What if instead of begging for the attention of this person, that person or the other we actually looked to our own community members that aren't quite as skilled as the so-called well-known members of the greater FGC and encouraged one another with various aspects of our experience as NRS players and community members at large. I can't imagine that this is even a debate that needs to be had in 2019. The player base continues to grow with each passing NRS title, and whether you see each as being improvement over the last is too subjective a topic for me to want to touch on. However, my point remains that our own internal player base can be so toxic within itself that players from other communities wouldn't touch ours with a ten foot pole.

Casuals, scrubs etc. is NOT an acceptable label for people who, perhaps if taken under one another's wing, might just go on to become the next Sonic, Scar, Tweedy, etc. But oh no, this is the big bad NRS community and here we mock and downplay people who aren't at our level at this exact moment in time. I feel as though it's time to let other people see us grow from within our own ranks and then out of natural curiosity, others will come not because we were so great at presenting good fronts at major events like the Summit of Time and so on, but just because it looks like an inviting place to be in general.

TYM and other sites like it could be the Mecca for that exact kind of growth but the player base as a whole has to be able to facilitate it at all times and not just when the spot light is on. From the likes of a Sonic Fox, etc. right on down to the bottom of the barrel. If fun isn't a factor first and foremost, no one cares about how much money is involved or who gets voted where and that's the gospel truth.