What's new

Our Community

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
@JBeezYBabY no offense dude but the NRS community is indeed not a small one at all. Even in MK9's era it wasn't that small as you need to take into account the fans who were never into the competitive side of MK and never will be.
Yes it was. MK9 scene was smaller compared to Inj, MKX, and Inj2. The only tournament worthy game was UMK3 and that was hella small scene before MK9 started the growth.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I love this community. I've been here too long not to.
But the now tournament valid netcode coupled with the rise of ELeague/WotG became a double edged sword; there is almost no reason whatsoever now for local scenes to rise up as they once did out of necessity, and that has taken a drastic toll on there being much in the way of inspiration for the scene to grow. The competition has been AMAZING, all year, possibly the most consistently improving first year for a game since ever...buuuut that kind of exacerbates the problem. Players who once would've gone out and done things now have no reason NOT to believe they can get to a competitive level solely by virtue of online, because that's how a LOT of the big/noteworthy names out there now have made their bones. And they're not wrong. But you don't get the same sort of playing field that you do in a grassroots type of evolution...you get calculated, efficient, and still very much passionate and hype worthy players, but there's no lore to go with them. No scenes to spout rivalries, coasts/regions are almost a non-issue because ESports has made things a melting pot, which again is a great thing but also takes away a variable that previously could've made things a lot more interesting.

It's like wrestling before and after WWE.
What once was several warring territories clamoring for supremacy, has now become a conglomerated brand.
Which is great for producing top tier talent, but takes away some of the major factors that made it exciting in the first place.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Yes it was. MK9 scene was smaller compared to Inj, MKX, and Inj2. The only tournament worthy game was UMK3 and that was hella small scene before MK9 started the growth.
I said:

Even in MK9's era it wasn't that small as you need to take into account the fans who were never into the competitive side of MK and never will be.

dude, have fun arguing with roy arkon ;D
i will sitback and enjoy 8)
Seriously? I'm not arguing with him, he just misunderstood what I meant.

Romanova

Noob
Uncle JBeezY has been talking to some of you about this and I decided it would be best to make a thread about it. Originally I posted this, "Out of all the current FGCs, NRS is thee smallest. And why is that? Do you think its the promotion? The games? The people? Thoughts?"
That's actually a good question to start asking ourselves. It could be many factors that come into play, such as the product that is presented, promotion, popularity, and the community.

Let's keep it all the way live!

I absolutely love this place! This is a very engaging audience with awesome people here. But what can WE do to better the community? What can we change? It's about time to address the elephant in the room. No more whisper talk, let's put it all on table. It all starts with us.

I think we have a lot of people in the community who will always play the game and speak negatively about it which to outsiders looking in is unappealing. The games are only getting better and have come a long way since MK9. We have the largest casual community and a lot of our competitive side community refuses to acknowledge how big the games actually reach. Almost anyone you meet who games has probably played Mortal Kombat or even Injustice at some point. They just aren't competing or know about it yet. I truly believe it's up to those in our community if they care to grow the competitive side to reach out to anyone they know that is a casual and bring them to a local or tournament when they can. That might spark the passion and gain us another lifer in the community.

Just a thought.
I love our community and genuinely want to see it grow.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I think we have a lot of people in the community who will always play the game and speak negatively about it which to outsiders looking in is unappealing. The games are only getting better and have come a long way since MK9. We have the largest casual community and a lot of our competitive side community refuses to acknowledge how big the games actually reach. Almost anyone you meet who games has probably played Mortal Kombat or even Injustice at some point. They just aren't competing or know about it yet. I truly believe it's up to those in our community if they care to grow the competitive side to reach out to anyone they know that is a casual and bring them to a local or tournament when they can. That might spark the passion and gain us another lifer in the community.

Just a thought.
I love our community and genuinely want to see it grow.
Very true.

Out here in San Diego some people came into my restaurant with evo shirts. Being a nrs guy we started talking fighting game and he invited me to his page. I AM THE ONLY NRS dude and the group is rather big. They seem to travel well. Another person came in one day wearing a combo breaker lanyard again we chatted he says he made top 16 Street fighter. They also mob to WNF where I always see a congratulations post for placing this in SG or taking first in guilty gear so on and so forth. They themselves seem to have a very small view of nrs games and look down on them it seems. I go to a small local that takes place at a Microsoft store like 5 people show up. So from my OWN PERSONAL experience i see where this guy is coming from. As to answer your question as a community I think we can start respecting other gameplay and reads or strategies. I had a buddy I played with he went from chill to why would you press a button there, why would you uppercut there. Man that's stupid I hear it all the time as I play online. 9 times out of 10 I respect frame data but when I don't it's for a reason like I'm low on life, why get chipped out I'll just down 2. You jump get hit by it and start screaming at me. I played a cheetah that did that lunge and got mad because I'd down one and hed go for a high he never condition me with mids so why hold pressure same thing after a down one on hit. Prove to me you can jail your pressure and I'll respect it. To me I just think there needs to be more respect between us as players. That's my overdrawn two cents with a slight reasoning behind it. Leaving on a positive I want to thank the community for the guides they provide they truly are a big help.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Midway~NRS now has grown.
I like how you cancel Midway into NRS ;)

I mean, i've been playing all types of games since MK1, the OG, so i know the games. But i never knew there was a FGC, at least so much in depth as far as tournaments, forums, and meet ups. So in that regard, the scene is very new to me.
I'd say that has more to do with MK series being more casual-oriented than many others. Many people played these games without even knowing organized competition existed beyond your standard "button mashing at parties" and being the first in your group to findthat hidden fatality.

But indeed, prior to MK9 it was almost non-existent. I don't think devs even tried to balance and adjust their games around the idea of "long haul" competition more than it was absolutely necessary.

But on the other hand, it's hard to imagine another FG series with such massive hatedom among players from other FG communities :D

Cerbero

Always down for games.
KOFs, GG, BB, SC etc smaller communities than this one, thought all combined are less cancerous than our community.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I've gotten the impression that the NRS scene has more localized pockets. So, there will be a ton of dudes in North Jersey, but none between here and the Florida scene, whereas Street Fighter is everywhere. But overall, we seem to be growing pretty damn well. I mean, compare entry numbers to Guilty Gear, Injustice 2 usually ends up getting more entrants, right?

I'm wondering how it hurts/helps that the games are usually different from year to year. I'm hella casual in Street Fighter, but I'm under the impression that the game has effectively played the same since Street Fighter II, with technical tweaks of course. But Mortal Kombat 1 plays nothing like Mortal Kombat Deception which plays different from Mortal Kombat 9 which plays different from Injustice. Think these games are kind of in a mold now though, MKX wasn't THAT different from MK9, I would imagine MK11 will play similarly

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Now that IPS is over I expect that locals will once again begin to gain traction. Having majors every weekend killed the local scene, as top, well-known players were understandably too exhausted from repeated weekends of extensive competition and travel to attend a local a couple of days later. Top players are a huge draw for locals, and many people, being followers, stop attending when the top guys stop attending. Honestly, that's some shit that's got to stop. People should show up to locals regardless of which names are there, in order to support their local communities.

That said, while turnout and commitment sometimes suck, the NRS community is by far the greatest gaming community I have been a part of. Everybody I have ever met through MKX/I2 has been friendly, welcoming, and cool, from the top guys at my local scene to the new guys starting from the bottom.

The scene itself is pretty large, and continuously growing; the only thing it lacks in is consitent commitment to attendance, which creates something of a self-fulfilling prophecy, but is also a cycle that can be easily broken with self-awareness and some minimal effort.

Just keep showing up to offline locals, even after it appears the local community has dropped it. By being a leader and not a follower in this regard, it is possible to grow and even potentially revive your scene.