What's new

Our Community

well, let me try with my poor english:

i think nrs has indeed the smaller competitive playerbase compared to capcom, namco and others. outside the usa, nrs scene is super small.
here in germany nrs games have the less players.

that is because nrs did for long time fighting games for casuals.
with mk9 in 2011 the "competitive" nrs scene was born.
other games like sf, tekken among others have decades of being competitive.

my 2 cents haha

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Shit thread again from this guy
THIS is a shit post.

Honestly, I don't feel like this is coming completely from left field. Back when I joined TYM (Injustice 1) I was told the NRS community was pretty small. That's not the case anymore when we compare apples to apples.

I think a better observation would be that the FGC, in general, is smaller than other communities.

I think a better question would be: How can our scene improve the perception of fighting games so the FGC can get a seat at the table with the big dogs?

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Shit thread again from this guy
@JBeezYBabY asked a valid question. You on the other hand made a shit post.

Midway~NRS now has grown. It was very small for years. Eclipsed by street fighter and tons of 3D and whatnot. Judging by your comment you weren't around for that. Not in the arcades where you can see which cabinet had more wear and tear. Not when where there were 5 other major sites and I'm not including shoryuken.com posting Mortal Kombat news and content and I'm talking before their was a Evo that was out in LA then moved to Vegas.

So instead of shitting on the man and his questions about this community that is on reddit, discord, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, SRK, and tons of other places both on the net, AND most importantly off, speak your peace and leave it at that.

That's my opinion @JBeezYBabY.

It's growing its been growing for 25 years and one month.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
@JBeezYBabY no offense dude but the NRS community is indeed not a small one at all. Even in MK9's era it wasn't that small as you need to take into account the fans who were never into the competitive side of MK and never will be. I myself was on that side of the community ever since the beginning and now I'm more and more into the competitive side, and I'm just one guy. And not to mention that the competitive side has grown by large numbers as well. In fact right here in Israel, the two most well known Fighting Game franchises are overall Mortal Kombat and Tekken, and we had a good number of MK tournies in Israel since MKX came out, probably more then any other Fighting Game as far as I know, adding to that point even further.

As for problems in the community in general, every community has it's problems. There is no perfect community, we are all humans, but there are things we can do, such as not jumping into conclusions about characters and games and let things boil down, as well as not calling for nerfs/buffs after seeing one or two Top 8's. Of course that other communities such as the SF community can go into that route, but this thing happen in our community as well. If we show more maturity towards such things, people will less and less jump on bandwagons about our community.

This is just my two cents :)

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I'm a member of some Discords independent of TYM that are pretty good.
Discord will always be inferior as a resource to a forum. There is no viable method of organizing informaion, and anything of value one posts on Discord will end up inevitably buried and therefore inaccessible to new players of a character.

Not shitting on Discord. It has its advantages, but is by no measure a replacement for an active, well-managed forum.

You are right that TYM is not the community, however. Neither is Discord. The community is comprised of the individuals who show up to locals, tournaments, and/or are connected to other players through online social networks.

There are a lot of people here and on Discord who talk mad shit, but have no interest in networking and never end up playing anybody of note, in spite of repeated challenges or invitations to friendlies. These guys are forumers, not fighting game players, and should be ignored unless they contribute something of merit or decide to actually join the community.

However, if you really want my input, here's what I'm gonna say.

A: NRS has an extreme disconnect and at the same time not enough of a separation between the scrubs and the top tier pros. By this I mean, you can readily interact with pros, make yourself look like an ass in the process which people do all the time, and the pros are so turned off by the stupid they don't really want to contribute to the community. I 100% get it.

B: There's a lot of things we tolerate on this site we shouldn't that make us look SUPER bad. Nerf/Buff threads are definitively one of those things, especially ones where it's just OBVIOUS the person who made it is a fucking moron. Why is that "Adam Has No True Mids" thread even still open?

C: The good players aren't willing to educate, or themselves aren't THAT good compared to the tournament winning pros. There's lots of ignorance coming from people who've been playing fighting games for years who fail to grasp things like intended character design, psychology etc and all they see is frames or damage.
Excellent post. Agree with pretty much everything you said. Particularly part C.

Although I would caution against shutting down nerf/buff type threads, low-tier as some of them may be. If you shut down conversation by low-intermediate players and restrict it to well known, high level players only, you end up like Dustloop -- dead.

Scrubby as the original intent of threads like the Black Adam one may be, they often end up containing valuable matchup knowledge, as higher level players attempt to descrubify the other posters in the thread.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
@JBeezYBabY asked a valid question. You on the other hand made a shit post.

Midway~NRS now has grown. It was very small for years. Eclipsed by street fighter and tons of 3D and whatnot. Judging by your comment you weren't around for that. Not in the arcades where you can see which cabinet had more wear and tear. Not when where there were 5 other major sites and I'm not including shoryuken.com posting Mortal Kombat news and content and I'm talking before their was a Evo that was out in LA then moved to Vegas.

So instead of shitting on the man and his questions about this community that is on reddit, discord, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, SRK, and tons of other places both on the net, AND most importantly off, speak your peace and leave it at that.

That's my opinion @JBeezYBabY.

It's growing its been growing for 25 years and one month.
I mean, i've been playing all types of games since MK1, the OG, so i know the games. But i never knew there was a FGC, at least so much in depth as far as tournaments, forums, and meet ups. So in that regard, the scene is very new to me. Thank you for your 2cents, sir.

@JBeezYBabY no offense dude but the NRS community is indeed not a small one at all. Even in MK9's era it wasn't that small as you need to take into account the fans who were never into the competitive side of MK and never will be. I myself was on that side of the community ever since the beginning and now I'm more and more into the competitive side, and I'm just one guy. And not to mention that the competitive side has grown by large numbers as well. In fact right here in Israel, the two most well known Fighting Game franchises are overall Mortal Kombat and Tekken, and we had a god number of MK tournies in Israel since MKX came out, probably more then any other Fighting Game as far as I know, adding to that point even further.

As for problems in the community in general, every community has it's problems. There is no perfect community, we are all humans, but there are things we can do, such as not jumping into conclusions about characters and games and let things boil down, as well as not calling for nerfs/buffs aster seeing one or two Top 8's. Of course that other communities such as the SF community can go into that route, but this thing happen in our community as well. If we show more maturity towards such things, people will less and less jump on bandwagons about our community.

This is just my two cents :)
Oh no no no no offense taken, especially since you are one of the very few who actually answered to my questions. So i thank you for that man. I appreciate your honesty cuz im just learning :)

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
I mean, i've been playing all types of games since MK1, the OG, so i know the games. But i never knew there was a FGC, at least so much in depth as far as tournaments, forums, and meet ups. So in that regard, the scene is very new to me. Thank you for your 2cents, sir.

Oh no no no no offense taken, especially since you are one of the very few who actually answered to my questions. So i thank you for that man. I appreciate your honesty cuz im just learning :)
You're welcome, I'm glad I've helped :D

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I made a shit post? Question mark? Question mark?

You did. You made a shit post. You posted shittily. Unlike the OP here, who had a valid question. His wording was a little off and people ran with the letter and not the spirit of the thing, which is an internet-in-general problem. The OP tried to spark a debate and get a conversation going who's aim, I assume, is to identify and understand some of the factors both FOR and AGAINST our community.

I'll post something later if the thread doesn't get locked. You all know how long I tend to be (there's a joke there somewhere) and I legit dont want to post a huge post and the thread die.

jmt

Noob
You did. You made a shit post. You posted shittily. Unlike the OP here, who had a valid question. His wording was a little off and people ran with the letter and not the spirit of the thing, which is an internet-in-general problem. The OP tried to spark a debate and get a conversation going who's aim, I assume, is to identify and understand some of the factors both FOR and AGAINST our community.

I'll post something later if the thread doesn't get locked. You all know how long I tend to be (there's a joke there somewhere) and I legit dont want to post a huge post and the thread die.
Ok I get it. I’m sorry. Period. Period. I won’t do it again! Exclamation point!

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'm not close to the competitive scene but I think that NRS being a US studio with a relatively young but emerging international scene contributes to the feeling of a small-ish offline community by contrast.

FGC in general though could be viewed as small-ish when compared to bigger esports.

Last edited: