What's new

Optimal Button Layout for Stick in MKX?

Justice

Noob
I don't do anything spectacular with mine.

1 2 Throw Interactible
3 4 Block Stance (WTF this do anyway? sheesh)

I find that Throw takes a higher priority over Interactibles and I just got used to the default layout from previous games.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I have been playing on 8 button layout

1/2/block/interact
3/4/flip stance/ throw.

This has worked well for me. :)
Yeah that is sorta what I used to have

The other setups I tried were...

1,2.T,S
3,4,B,I

but always found it a little cumbersome to do EX moves "1,B" for example.

1,T,2,S
3,B,4,I

So this is what I have used with MX9 till now. I liked this as it made EX Easy, but with the extra space between 1,2 and 3,4 that super fast "drumming your fingers" is a lot harder.

I dunno.. maybe I am other thinking this.. but I a, pretty happy with the current set up I got now

1,2,3,S
B,4,T,I

Last edited:
I have been playing on 8 button layout

1/2/block/interact
3/4/flip stance/ throw.

This has worked well for me.

After trying many setups, I went with this. It is the fastest and block being moved up keeps my pinky on it.

Also I installed an octagonal gate. This helped so much I think it should be norm for MK on a stick. Really makes hitting everything more precise.

OvegaRed

Noob
6 buttons:

1, 2, 4
3, B, I

B = block
I = Interact

Throws done sf style with 1+3; X Ray with 3+4+Block. Ex moves are easy since each normal button remains adjacent to block. Used the same setup in MK9, minus Interact of course.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
I use the default controls actually :/ I have a hori real arcade pro 5 and i find the original button layout to be perfect the way it is, (i dont be counting l1 and l2 because i never use those buttons)
1 2 Interactable
3 4 Block

Audit

Falls down too much
I use the default controls actually :/ I have a hori real arcade pro 5 and i find the original button layout to be perfect the way it is, (i dont be counting l1 and l2 because i never use those buttons)
1 2 Interactable
3 4 Block

This is mine as well, except I added throw on both of the the Ls on the right two buttons. Switch stance so far only matters to JC players for brutalities, so there's no need to have a button mapped to it, and if you really need to you can just switch stance with 3+4. maybe Quan Chi players need a switch stance button now that I think about it for puggles.

Hassun

Noob
I could use some advice:
I've recently acquired a fight stick and I've been trying it out in MKX. The layout question is especially interesting to me and I've been trying different layouts to see which one suits me the best.

At the moment I am trying the following:
__fp__bp____fk____bk___
block throw stance interact

So I have the punches and kicks on the top row, block on my thumb, throw and stance in the hardest to reach area and interact for my pinky finger.
To throw I can press fp and bp or throw, for X-rays I press the bottom left 3 buttons (even though I don't need to press throw).

Does anyone see any (obvious) problems with this layout I should know about?

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I could use some advice:
I've recently acquired a fight stick and I've been trying it out in MKX. The layout question is especially interesting to me and I've been trying different layouts to see which one suits me the best.

At the moment I am trying the following:
__fp__bp____fk____bk___
block throw stance interact

So I have the punches and kicks on the top row, block on my thumb, throw and stance in the hardest to reach area and interact for my pinky finger.
To throw I can press fp and bp or throw, for X-rays I press the bottom left 3 buttons (even though I don't need to press throw).

Does anyone see any (obvious) problems with this layout I should know about?
That's almost the exact setup I use, I think it's the tops!
1 2 3 4
Blk Int Thrw SS

mattnin

Noob
I use a fight stick I made for SF2 but configured it like traditional MK

2BL4
1_3
I just use five buttons.

I also have a 360 PDP MK joystick for the 360 that I'll mod for the Xbox one, I'll use it got same way but maybe use the run button for interact.

The only thing I find difficult with my setup is hitting an EX 3

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Oh damn I have no idea how I missed your post. Sorry.
Do you X-ray with block+3+4 ?
I do, except I play D'Vorah and she has a glitch where doing that input in the air (hers can be ground or air) makes is whiff so I have to to SS+BLK to xray in air. With the other three characters I play I do block + 3 + 4, xray footsies.