What's new

Optimal Button Layout for Stick in MKX?

Czar

Kotal Kahn of New Orleans
Whenever I use a standard layout stick for newer MKs, I do this layout.

Extra|1|2
Block|3|4
I had been thinking about this layout too since I have a Hori RAP4 coming in. Seems legit to just have the thumb for Blk.

What would you map to the other two on an 8 button stick?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I had been thinking about this layout too since I have a Hori RAP4 coming in. Seems legit to just have the thumb for Blk.

What would you map to the other two on an 8 button stick?
If the inputs for X-Ray are the same as MK9, I'd do this:

Interact|1|2|Stance
Block|3|4|Throw

In MK9, 3+4 is stance switch, and throw is 1+3. The last two, I honestly don't really think much about, so I just stuck throw at the bottom to line up with block.

Czar

Kotal Kahn of New Orleans
If the inputs for X-Ray are the same as MK9, I'd do this:

Interact|1|2|Stance
Block|3|4|Throw

In MK9, 3+4 is stance switch, and throw is 1+3. The last two, I honestly don't really think much about, so I just stuck throw at the bottom to line up with block.
So when you X-Ray you hit block+3+4?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
So when you X-Ray you hit block+3+4?
Yep.

Btw, I'm finding it a little weird that people actually plan on using layouts where the attack buttons are so offset. Really only because it just looks weird lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
1| 2 | blk | throw
3 | 4 | stance | Interact

or

1 2 stance interact
3 4 blok throw

That is what i plan to go with, mostly due takeda who i see myself sticking to, and both options will adapt quickly to the kunai timer traps and allow for free mobility after

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I always use:
1 2 Throw Other
3 4 Blk Stance

If there's an option to map run to a button, and I hope there is, then I will get rid of throw - since I use 1+3 - and dedicate that button to run.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Do we know if interactable usage is it's own button or if it uses one of the existing buttons at all?
it's probably known but I don't think I ever noticed being busy trying to find other shit whenever they game lol.

as for my buttons on a Madcatz stick layout.

1|2|Block|Stance
3|4|Throw|Other

This way:
-punches and kicks are the same as other fighters (Tekken, KoF, KI, etc) so it won't fuck me up going back and forth in other games.
-assuming 1+3 nets you throw you can throw like SF4/Tekken/Skullgirls/KI etc.
-Xray is 2 side by side buttons on the top right.
-block button is in a good enough spot where I can still comfortably reach any of the 4 attack buttons if needed.

I considered putting the block button for the thumb coz that's where i put it in Soul Calibur and DoA but I couldn't do it in MK9 (first MK i playing using stick), it's too odd to play a 2d game with a block button in the first place then putting it in a spot where I'm used to having a kick button in every other 2d game threw me off so this was the only layout I liked for MK on stick..

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Throw 1 2 Block
Interact 3 4 Stance

Pretty much my injustice setup with MB exchanged for block. Don't really use the dedictated macros for throw or interact. Just use the button combos of 1+2 for interact and 1+3 for throw. Hopefully NRS gets the leniency right for those button combinations so I am not getting throw or interactable in the middle of strings like early days of injustice.

LockM

Noob
I prefer if the block button is in the top row, and i like hitting buttons with my index and middle finger so having it this way:
1 2 B
3 4 -

However this seems extremely uncomfortable when trying to do x-ray. So i'm just going to go something like this as a compromise:
1 B 2
3 - 4

If that doesnt work out ill just have to hit my buttons with my middle and ringvinger and block with my thumb
- 1 2
B 3 4
on a sidenote, wish they made run hold forward after dashing instead of holding block, this seems extremwly obnoxious, unintuitive and convoluted...

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
I prefer if the block button is in the top row, and i like hitting buttons with my index and middle finger so having it this way:
1 2 B
3 4 -

However this seems extremely uncomfortable when trying to do x-ray. So i'm just going to go something like this as a compromise:
1 B 2
3 - 4

If that doesnt work out ill just have to hit my buttons with my middle and ringvinger and block with my thumb
- 1 2
B 3 4
on a sidenote, wish they made run hold forward after dashing instead of holding block, this seems extremwly obnoxious, unintuitive and convoluted...
Just put your stance switch button under you block button and X-ray become just pressing Stance switch + block.

Mr. Yutani

Don't know karate but I know karazy.
For a game like MKX, is having an 8 button layout more advantageous than a 6 button one? I'm thinking that having to press 2 buttons for a throw or interactable could become annoying. Also anyone planning on using an old MK9 stick? I bought one for MK9 and it seemed annoying to have to press 2 buttons for things like throws & x-rays.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
1 2 blk
3 4 run

Or

1 blk 2
3 run 4
No run button. But something similar I did for Injustice was:

1---2---MB---THR
3---4---SS---INT

If only throw wasn't 1+3 I would've placed it differently.

Same thing can be done for MKX

1---2---BLK---THR
3---4---SS---INT

Audit

Falls down too much
My MK9 setup was:

1|2|Throw
3|4|Block

I'll probably switch Throw to Interactable for MKX and just use 1+3. I have serious heartburn about stick layout, as I did play start playing MK in the arcade with starting with MK1 and do like that crazy layout much better. Maybe I'll see if I can score an MK9 PDP stick and just use a converter.

I used this layout on Injustice with my stick;

1 | 2 | 3
4 | MB | Interactable

I honestly have no idea what layout I'll end up using for MKX.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Well, I play on a TE stick and I'm keeping the same MK9 layout which is:

3 BLOCK 4
1 INTERACTABLE 2

I know is not exactly orthodox but it works for me, because I can perform a throw pressing 3+1 just as I would throw someone in SFIV and I can XRAY pressing all 3 top buttons, just as I would do an Ultra move in SFIV (3 punches). It's all about feeling comfortable/getting used to I guess

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I1, 2, 4, Throw
3, Block/MB, Run, Switch Stance
I was having a look though this thread and saw this and thought that was a kind of cool idea so I gave it a go and really enjoyed it. While I'm getting some input errors, I think in the long run this could be a better setup for me...

B - Block
I - Interact
T - Throw
S - Stance

1,2,3,S
B,4,T,I

This is interesting as the relaxed hand position hits 1,2,3 perfectly and your thumb is ready for fast blocking. Remember that 1,2 is "interact" and I am not even sure what the point of "switch stance is" so I do not mind it all out on the end there.

It originally looked like this...
1,2,3,T
B.4.I.S

I liked it as it was very easy to hit X-Ray with "B+I". The problem I was having was that I felt that throw was a little more difficult to hit. "1,3" is a tad harder to do mid combo and the very far two buttons have always felt very unconformable to hit.

Still I thought, I usually use my meter for EX Wake Ups, EX Moves and increasingly Combo Breaks, so I rarely X-Ray. So, that is why I ended up moving the "throw" to the "button 7" position..

So yeah,, having fun doing this setup...

1,2,3,S
B,4,T,I

Last edited: