What's new

General/Other - Shinnok (Old) Shinnok Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
For anyone who has unlocked shinnok,could you tell me how useful his ground skulls are for space control? For example can u throw them out full screen to stop people running?

nugava

Noob
Shinnok Necromancer is the day 1 noob killer. Even funnier than Deathstroke. Don't even bother to learn more than 4 specials and one string.

SLy

Noob
For anyone who has unlocked shinnok,could you tell me how useful his ground skulls are for space control? For example can u throw them out full screen to stop people running?
Its good to catch people jumping in but I wouldnt recommend just throwing it out there. Its unsafe at -25. It doesnt go full screen but covers 3 quarters of the screen.

Thoughts and questions:

1. With only triple skulls as an option, i'm guessing he can't zone/pressure like shang? Single skull was a huge part of shang pressure/zoning, and having to commit to triple skulls unless you have meter seems like a straight up nerf barring a few small situations? Unless the blasts chain on block or something.

2. Imposter air teleport- I've seen this used once and it was instantly stuffed, so i'd like to know what you can do. It seems like a strider/chipp teleport that puts you right behind and above the opponent. If you can act out of it this could be crazy strong for instant overheads/empty jump lows/throws from full screen or jump back situations to punish. If you can't what the fuck is it there for?

3. Can someone with the game give their brief impressions of what each style should play like? My current thoughts are:

Shaper- frame traps/rushdown
Necromancer- quasi zoning ?
Imposter- uh...? Maybe teleport shenanigans? I really feel that teleport has to be strong as fuck, because a 1 use "if i hit you first" skill steal is NOT good enough to give up crazy strings/zoning tools.

just looked at sonic foxs twitter about an hour ago he said shinnok is such a good zoner. so id definitely listen to whatever kind of props he gives characters. I dont have the game yet but i thought his ground blast had different ranges similar to shangs ground skulls? And on top of that based off of the videos ive seen his groud blast seem to come out VERY fast. so at full to mid screen i would assume they are safe to use despite being negative on block. just depends on the matchup.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i got to play a little bit of shinnok today at my friends house. i have zero experience with MK so im still getting the hang of movement and shit. i messed around mostly with his necromancer variation. ive also had very minimal solo lab time with him, i really just found one combo and then started playing with my friend, but i got a little bit of a feel for how his shit works.

first thing to take note of is that any of the bone sepcials if your opponent sees it they can just run past it. i was mostly using it from full screen and as soon as they got in the range of hell sparks i used that. hell sparks from certain ranges is safe on block but up close the last hit will whiff and you get punished. i also noticed that to a degree shinnok has frame traps of of his EX flick which is +6 on block while the regular one is -3. i dont remember the frame data on the ground hand but i recall it being safe.

as for his normals, i had a hard time finding out which ones are good but i noticed that d1 is 5 frames and d4 is +20something on hit and was safe is block and gives a really low profile hitbox. seems to be your go to poke to get people off of you since on hit the pushback is pretty silly. there is also b1 which is a 6 frame low, however there is no string off of it. you can cancel it right away into a special move, i was doing it with EX ground hand to get a capture state but the damage you get off of it isn't much. his d2 is 6 frames and from what i can tell anti airs pretty well anything directly on top of him. doesnt have much forward range so a lot of times i had to walk forward a little bit to get my AA. he also has f2 which is an 18f mid that lunges quan forward that i have been using as a mid screen whiff punisher. shinnok also has no overhead starters and does not have any lows that go into strings. it should also be noted that he only has like 3 or 4 universal strings. in this variation, he does not have any unique strings.

the combos i were doing were the following

112 EX ground hand nj2 f22 hell sparks (fastest starter, however it is off of a high so it wont punish anything that ends in crouching, dont remember how many frames)
  • f22 starter for a long range whiff punisher (18f startup)
  • b3 directly into EX hand (low starter, not much damage)
  • there was a mid string that started with 3, dont remember the sequence i think it was 314 or something likk that, dont remember exactly.
anti air hellsparks, flick (leaves them full screen, can definitely optimize this when i have a chance)

full screen EX round hand, flick

List of moves impostor steals, have the game will try post videos soon : Kung Lao Spin, Jax ground pound which is cheap you can steal his pound and reset your opponent whilst in trance stun no way to escape, Sonya leg grab, Kenshi up sword move in variation Kenjutsu, Kitana fan lift animation looks funny, Scorpions spear, Subzeros ice ball, Mileena roll, Takeda air drop, Cassies gun, Jacqui uppercut, Kanos ball, Jonny cages shadow kick, Erron blacks up sand, Liu kangs fly kick, Ermacs lift, Kotal Kahn anti air grab which is easy to get a combo after, Reptile slow ball, Ferra Torr he steal the grab which uses Ferra and he gets his own version of Ferra, D'vorah Ovipositor Charge, Raidens push looks awesome, Quan Chi trance and Goros air drop move. Did I miss someone?

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Sorry if the information has been posted but does Shinnok have any overheads?
at least in necromancer no grounded overhead starters. i believe one of his strings ends in an overhead and gives a knockdown. totally fine though because it doesn't seem like you're going to really be going for much 50/50s like that

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Have you guys looked into boneshaper? He has the most tools in that variation.
was in training mode with bone shaper for about 10 mins. seems like this would be the best variation if you're looking to play a more mid ranged zoning game from waht i can tell. still has no grounded overhead starts from what i remember. also seems like it can be the most offensive and he might have some good pressure in this variation. didn't really look at the frames so i can't say for sure but his unique f2 in this variation seems to just be a better f2 than the one in his other variation, giving it a much bigger hitbox not only in front of him, but also above and in front of him. EX low axe launches your opponent and they end up on the other side of you which can be an awesome way to get out of corner situations and put your opponent in the corner.

Albo

Noob
Sorry if the information has been posted but does Shinnok have any overheads?
He has one universal overhead ender in 1123, 8f startup, -5 on block

In bone shaper he has two exclusive overhead ender strings, b31d2 (-6 on block, d2 is overhead, b3 is a 6f low starter) and f31d2 (-4 on block, d2 is overhead). Both those strings can be cancelled into specials (only low special is scepter slam which is -28 on block).

In impostor variation he has an air teleport where he appears above behind the opponent but there's also an option for in front. When you reappear above your opponent you can attack immediately with four overhead options which are shinnoks regular neutral jump attacks. 1 and 2 juggle, are 5f and 0 on block whereas 3 and 4 knockdown start 8f and are -3 on block.

Have you guys looked into boneshaper? He has the most tools in that variation.
It has some good exclusive strings and an exlusive f2 normal.

Scepter slam is near full screen low special 14f, -28 on block, ex also -28. The further away you do it the harder it is to punish on block as it leaves you further away from oppoent. Seemed dirty to me at first but I tested and at about full screen on block I was able to punish with around 16f moves. If you do it any closer than full screen it's even easier to punish...so seems pretty unsafe. He also has an unblocable scpter stomp, although it's slow at 39 startup, easy to react and a meh projectile which is 15f, -23 block, -12 on hit...He can also ex his hell sparks in this variation for extra pop up.

I'm starting to like necro more although it doesn't most of the good strings in boneshaper

In impostor variation he has an air teleport where he appears above behind the opponent but there's also an option for in front. When you reappear above your opponent you can attack immediately with four overhead options which are shinnoks regular neutral jump attacks. 1 and 2 juggle, are 5f and 0 on block whereas 3 and 4 knockdown start 8f and are -3 on block.
Thank you so much for answering this. While it's a small chance this could potentially be disgusting. If you don't mind, a few more questions on the teleport:

1. Can you instant air teleport (how quickly after jumping can you do it?).
2. How long does it take you to fall to the ground if you do nothing after teleporting?
3. Does shinnok have a string that starts low in imposter, and if so can it lead to further damage?

Albo

Noob
Thank you so much for answering this. While it's a small chance this could potentially be disgusting. If you don't mind, a few more questions on the teleport:

1. Can you instant air teleport (how quickly after jumping can you do it?).
2. How long does it take you to fall to the ground if you do nothing after teleporting?
3. Does shinnok have a string that starts low in imposter, and if so can it lead to further damage?
1. Seems to be instant...and when you reappear you can attack instantly
2. Quite long, says recovery is 40f of which most of is falling after your reappear
3. None, only a low 6f b3 normal but in this variation it doesn't lead into anything. His 312 string looks like it starts low but it's mid.

Damn. Still the instant attack out of it opens some interesting doors, and combo possibilities. At the very least teleport into j1 should be a legit punish, and if blocked at least gives pressure.

In bone shaper his low axe is almost full screen btw !

The cool thing about flick is that its safe on block ( can make b3 a better option to be thrown out at any time possible )

B1 is a good move. Its safe and has decent range and can be canceled into flick

If he just had a universal single hit overhead at least. But guys its too early to judge him.

Im sure we ll find good stuff about him soon. His hell spark has to be tested more. I think it can be an annoying meaty if spaced correctly ...

Status
Not open for further replies.