What's new

Official UMK3:TE Changelog and Discussion Thread

I'll explain it to you. When a specific attack in a combo string has the Damage Protection flag set, when the game gets to that part of the combo, it does a check to see if the combo is >= 3 hits. If it is, then it sets Damage Protection, otherwise it ignores the flag. That flag is set per move.

In the instance you quoted for Jade, the hacker removed the DP check from the combo code for that move allowing the combo to do more damage overall. In MK3, her 7-hit combo did 34% (the AI still does this damage as there is specific code checking for a human opponent playing Jade when the combo happens), in UMK3 they put in this DP check to lower the overall combo damage she gets because of the addition of Jump Starters (the ability to start a ground combo from a Jump Punch or Neutral Jump Kick aka SUJK).

With the removal of DP from the Fan Lift before they begin to fall to the ground, if Double DP was not added to the Fan Throw, she could get close to 50% damage. The Double DP helps keep the damage well below that. Any damage after a Fan Throw is typically minimal and used for a setup for rushdown. An example would be a JK->Air Fan, run aaLP, into a safe jump with JK into Run Jab pressure or if they try to attack, they get hit with the JK into another run aaLP into the same.

Lots of change updates coming soon!

Thank you! It all makes sense now! I didn't think about the possibilities with the DP removed from the fan lift. This is sounding pretty damn good to me so far!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I hope Sheeva is done next. I want to see what they give her!

This is awesome and I can't believe like 20 years later this is finally happening, it's been a long time coming!

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Is it possible to give Scorpion the forward teleport as he has in MKT being its the same animation but just going forward? I don't know much about programing but I would love to see MKT moves come over to UMK3TE if its possible.
Also I love what the hacker did with Sub Zero unmasked I always felt Midway changed his clone proximity or area that it works to be to far from MK3 to UMK and honestly I dropped sub because the clone IMO was a waste of a move in UMK.
Being I always loved using Jax in UMK/MK3 I am really looking forward to the changes this godlike hacker will do to Jax.
In regards to glitchjabs i accept they are part of the game however i find them boring as shit and i refuse to learn how to do them because of this. When I use to play UMK and i did combos i liked and how they looked regardless of the damage so maybe my opinion doesn't matter on this but if glitchjabs are delt with in anyway i think that will be the key to getting hype into this game at tournaments. Example at how glitchjabs effect the game imo : I showed my friend the video of @Shock vs @R.E.O. from summerjam when reo went in with the glitchjabs with kabal on the corner and my friend said WTF you want me to play this with you?Mind you my friend use to play UMK with me yrs ago and was very good at the time as i was but when he saw that (he never seen them before) he was like "can you do that in regular umk" I told him sadly yeah :(.
Looking forward to this patch and can't wait for the first public release so i can get some time on this online via mame/kallleria. While i love MK2 , UMK/MK3/MKT is 1 of my favorite mk's and this patch got me so hyped i can't wait to play some of the people i use to play in Kalliera yrs ago before xbox live etc...
Would be so great if NRS saw what this hacker is doing and if they ever make a MK kollection for xbone/ps4 and update the PC 1 i would love to see them dump the hacker/community patches for both MK2 & UMK into that collection.

EDIT: I think that UMK3TE should have its own forum as it is now the forum is merged for UMK/MK3/Trilogy (PS1/PC/N64) and while theres not much activity now when a public release drops its going to be a pain for new people to look thru all the other posts and see/understand which is for UMK3TE and regular UMK not even counting MKT etc..

Last edited:

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
@Edfig81 Corner jab infinite is going away, that's not even a debatable request as it is completely inescapable. The only thing preventing glitch jabs from going is circumstance. If there's a way to do it without hurting the run jab game, it'll happen, and it'll be done in a clever way. Glitch jabs are in essence, a bug/broken mechanics and should not be possible, regardless of the subjective determinations of whether they are a problem/viable strat or not. From another perspective, they make the game look ridiculous and thoughtless and their mere existence will deter future players from even looking at this masterpiece in the making. Way more people want them gone than don't care if they stay or not. I myself compete against them without complaint and would continue to play UMK3 as is, indefinitely, but the chance is here to make a difference.

As for Scorpion, I have requested the forward TP, we'll see if it happens. I still think he needs it personally.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
As for Scorpion, I have requested the forward TP, we'll see if it happens. I still think he needs it personally.
The hacker has looked into this. He said it didn't work on the first attempt but he knows why. There is an issue with the hitbox not being active until Scorpion goes through the screen, but I am very sure there is a good chance this will happen.

Infinite corner jabs will be gone... GJs are another story as it is unknown if they even can be eliminated. The way they function is based off of how the core game engine works with jabs canceling to block no matter what frame they are currently at when a collision occurs.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Infinite corner jabs will be gone... GJs are another story as it is unknown if they even can be eliminated. The way they function is based off of how the core game engine works with jabs canceling to block no matter what frame they are currently at when a collision occurs.
Like I've said, I don't know how it could even be possible to remove them. They're apart of the core engine, not only in UMK3, but from MK1 all the way to MK4. In the perfect world, we would get rid of glitch jabs but keep kara jabs. But, I think it will either be none of them, or they all stay. Personally, I don't mind either way. I've been an advocate for glitch jabs but 99% of the people who play hate them, so it's a sacrifice that I'm happy to make!

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Like I've said, I don't know how it could even be possible to remove them. They're apart of the core engine, not only in UMK3, but from MK1 all the way to MK4. In the perfect world, we would get rid of glitch jabs but keep kara jabs. But, I think it will either be none of them, or they all stay. Personally, I don't mind either way. I've been an advocate for glitch jabs but 99% of the people who play hate them, so it's a sacrifice that I'm happy to make!
Jabs definitely work a bit differently in MK4, but 1, 2, 3, U, and T they all are the same, with the exception of the weirdness for MK1 characters in MKT where for example MK1 Kano can get like 4 jabs to hit rapidly for some unknown reason. My suggestion to remove glitch jabs would be to find some way to override jab with block when block is held on, in between and after a jab is pressed. So if you hold block and press HPHP, LPLP, HPLP, or LPHP without releasing block, your character will block like they should do logically. There's no way this can mess up run jabs, and highly unlikely with kara jabs, because with kara jabs, pressing and releasing block happens constantly, and block is generally done disctinctly after a jab is pressed.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
So if we can just leave that as the only change to Robo...
Plz?
K Thx.
I'm sure he is getting a startup nerf to his Spear, a slight damage nerf to his Air Throw, and maybe DP on his Teleport Uppercut... but if that last one happens, it will most likely come with decreased recovery on block so it's less punishable, but I think only the first two are coming.

umk_p1

Noob
Jabs definitely work a bit differently in MK4, but 1, 2, 3, U, and T they all are the same, with the exception of the weirdness for MK1 characters in MKT where for example MK1 Kano can get like 4 jabs to hit rapidly for some unknown reason. My suggestion to remove glitch jabs would be to find some way to override jab with block when block is held on, in between and after a jab is pressed. So if you hold block and press HPHP, LPLP, HPLP, or LPHP without releasing block, your character will block like they should do logically. There's no way this can mess up run jabs, and highly unlikely with kara jabs, because with kara jabs, pressing and releasing block happens constantly, and block is generally done disctinctly after a jab is pressed.
im a bit confused,probably bc of terminology variations, you mean that offense with run-jab-releasejab-block animation cancel will be retained in the hack? only "standing-still-safe-jab-mashing" will go away? if it is even possible at all of cource

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
im a bit confused,probably bc of terminology variations, you mean that offense with run-jab-releasejab-block animation cancel will be retained in the hack? only "standing-still-safe-jab-mashing" will go away? if it is even possible at all of cource
The only jab scenarios that need to be addressed are the corner jab block string infinites, which was solved in MKII, and the stationary jabbing while holding D+B+BL. Otherwise, regular run jabs will be left alone, and kara jabs shouldn't be changed by any modifications. If they are changed by fixing glitch jabs, then the change will be reverted.

I'm sure he is getting a startup nerf to his Spear, a slight damage nerf to his Air Throw, and maybe DP on his Teleport Uppercut... but if that last one happens, it will most likely come with decreased recovery on block so it's less punishable, but I think only the first two are coming.
THIS!

When you say startup nerf - longer startup or slower speed of the spear, like MK3?
Any chance on priority or hitbox of the air throw decreasing? Right now he could stop a space shuttle launch

When you say startup nerf - longer startup or slower speed of the spear, like MK3?
Any chance on priority or hitbox of the air throw decreasing? Right now he could stop a space shuttle launch
I think startup is the problem. Isn't that what causes the glitch where the spear goes all the way across the screen despite connecting at point blank? That shit's so messed up.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
A few frames added to startup.

The hacker told me that Smoke's air throw range is the same as Jax. It is the grab animation that makes it look like it has more priority.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Are we going to by chance get gameplay video as revisions go on, like @YourMKArcadeSource did as the revisions were made with mk2 te?
Nah. The hacker has the actual source code for UMK3 and it cranking out the changes much faster than the UMK2 hack. I would be burning, erasing and re-burning roms almost daily to try and keep up so I planned on just waiting until it was officially complete and then doing one or two "promotional" videos to get the word out on YT and FB. I run a FB page called "The Mortal Kombat Arcade Reference Page" if anyone wants to drop by...

https://www.facebook.com/yourmkarcadesource

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Any updates? I'm still pretty hype about this, please do Sheeva next.

Also, why does the hacker want to be anonymous? Is it someone who is "known" or something? Don't have to answer, just find it weird and I'm super curious as to who this godsend is.

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Any updates? I'm still pretty hype about this, please do Sheeva next.

Also, why does the hacker want to be anonymous? Is it someone who is "known" or something? Don't have to answer, just find it weird and I'm super curious as to who this godsend is.

Updates are coming. As far as the hacker's identity goes, I'll let Yogurt here explain it...

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just a little head's up, I have been messing around with version 24 and it is just wicked. I can literally feel the cast becoming more and more "together" with every change. Characters that got huge damage before, for the most part can still achieve higher damage than most and there are starting to be more avenues to damage. Tactics characters once craved, things that were staring you in the face but were frames away from reality, are coming true. Moves that were frames beyond OP are now simply "fair and balanced" and I really think that once the first run is complete and every gets to try it out, we'll see some very interesting suggestions that should make this game so fresh, there's no excuse not to play it! I might make a combo video. I am considering bringing it to GUTS 3 next weekend but I don't know if I'll have time to stream it or space to set it up, and for that matter, many interested players capable of taking advantage of the changes. We'll see.

GetSpookd

#1 Enemy : Rust.
Just a little head's up, I have been messing around with version 24 and it is just wicked. I can literally feel the cast becoming more and more "together" with every change. Characters that got huge damage before, for the most part can still achieve higher damage than most and there are starting to be more avenues to damage. Tactics characters once craved, things that were staring you in the face but were frames away from reality, are coming true. Moves that were frames beyond OP are now simply "fair and balanced" and I really think that once the first run is complete and every gets to try it out, we'll see some very interesting suggestions that should make this game so fresh, there's no excuse not to play it! I might make a combo video. I am considering bringing it to GUTS 3 next weekend but I don't know if I'll have time to stream it or space to set it up, and for that matter, many interested players capable of taking advantage of the changes. We'll see.
My cyber nipples are sooo ready for this.

Just curious, are there going to be non-gameplay changes made to this revision?
Such as....
UMK3 stages cycling twice before MK3 stages? As much as I HATED the Balcony -> Bridge -> Soul Chamber (Upper cut to) Balcony stage cycle lock, I miss me some Bridge and other MK3 stages. Is the Bank in UMK3 somewhere?
Character select screen changed like MK2 TE?

As fickle as this one sounds, in 2 on 2 matches - any cyber ninja in back (coming in AFTER the first fighter is KO'd), has Cyrax's stance - likewise, any male ninjas have Reptile's stance. There a fix for that anywhere?

I can't wait to see how Noob and Human Smoke will selectable without the Jugg hack. They looked a little hacked in to begin with. This guy will probably make it look like they should have been there from the start!

And one gameply question - when the Subs do chip damage on Freezes - does that add a hit to the combo?

Last edited: