Quan Chi
Shinnok
Reiko
Fujin
Bo'Rai Cho
Havik
Hotaru
Onaga

Those are the only characters who have been salvaged or deserve an attempt to be salvaged. Everyone else is at best completely expendable. Most are trash.

And yes I played the games when they came out.
This is actually the comment I was gonna make, I'd just add Ashrah to the list as well. She had a lot of potential as a character with a redemption arch, even moreso than Sareena.

mattteo

Noob
Kenshi
Quan Chi
Shinnok
Reiko
Fujin
Bo'Rai Cho
Havik
Hotaru
Onaga

Those are the only characters who have been salvaged or deserve an attempt to be salvaged.
What about

Tanya
Sareena
Ashrah
Daegon
Taven
Nitara
Frost
Drahmin
Moloch

See, with the ones you wrote and the ones you forgot, there are already 17 good 3D era characters, withoyt even counting ones that were acceptable and have few fans like Kai, Mavado, Shujinko, Li Mei. People should stop using the term "few" good ones.

The really bad ones were "few": Hsu Hao, Kobra, Darrius, Dairou, Jarek. And that's just because they were simple "human characters without special powers". It was the same thing as with bland cop Stryker from the trilogy

Last edited:
Aside from Tanya, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Kenshi, Frost and Bo Rai Cho?
Aside from Sareena, Fujin, Kai, Ashrah and Havik?

No, Nuke the rest and never look back.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
The ones I still want to see at some point are:

Tanya: One of my favorite female characters, I still hope they turn her into a female sorceress with illusion spells and magic, suits her tricky nature.

Fujin: Though I wouldn't mind if Kung Lao becomes the new wind god at some point.

Kai: I hope he turns into the first character which gains a spirit animal pet which he can summon in one variation.

Reiko: I just like this character, I love his obsession with Shao Kahn.

Havik: Chaos is awesome, chaos is me.

Frost: I love evil ice-users!

Sareena: What Ashrah? Sareena is pretty much the same but more awesome.

Quan Chi + Kenshi are also awesome, they don't need to be in every game, but I hope to see them a lot.

Mavado: I would like Takeda's weapons on him, they suit Mavado more.

Drahmin: There are some awesome possibilities with this character and especially his background which is Edenian if I remember correctly.

Kira: Though she needs a complete remake.

mattteo

Noob
The 3D era characters are great they just had the unfortunate luck of being made when The NRS guys were going through huge growing pains, losing their best writer they ever had, a game engine the wasn't great and being owned by a company that was losing money.

It's going to be hard for them to come back because now they to fight the "Yo DaH 3D eRa suxxx dooooood!!!"crowd and the older nrs guys who don't want remember that era because if the reasons I mentioned above.

Hopefully they will be respected but sadly I don't think many will ever get a second chance.
Seems that way with the recent leaks

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I really liked the 3D games - particularly Deception. In reality though, why would you add characters that need wholesale changes to be interesting / viable in the storyline when you can have new ones or old favorites.

Why bother with Hsu Hao, Kobra, Jarek, Kai, Darrius, Dairou,Taven, Kira, Drahmin, Moloch ,Mavado Reiko who all had poor and / or generic character design when you could have other characters who are already established or already good design? 3D characters who I feel are more "ready to go" include Fujin, Havik, Ashrah, Li Mei, Tanya, Bo'Rai Cho, Shujinko, Frost, Kenshi. I don't even like half of these characters, but none of them need a significant rework.

Gerchap

Noob
Sir god bless you for the effort on your post and I don't want to cheapen it too much but... Nobody should respect the 3d era characters cause they suck
As a true MK fan we should respect any game or ERA just because. Saying NO BECAUSE THEY SUCK isn’t mature at all I expect that from a kid but a 30+ year old? 30+ year old with a 10 year old brain

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Ehh I disagree, when Raiden don't play he bodies Shinnok. He's just too laid back half the time and suffers from the same thing Superman does, jobbers too much so he's not OP which he is technically.

But anyway, I want Fujin. Dude hasn't been in an MK in over a decade literally, I mean I see these Rain and Mileena fans crying. Seriously? Try being a Fujin fan lol. Probably equal to being a Cub's fan in Baseball where your team does well once in every 100 years lol.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
A couple of weeks ago I was playing MKX and I was playing as Tanya fighting against Shinnok and suddenly I was "OMG I'm having a Mortal Kombat 4 fight on my Mortal Kombat X!"

However, I like to think MK4 is on a grey area. Yeah, it was 3D but it was too attached to 2D roots. I love that game.

That said, I think some 3D era characters are worthy and deserve a second chance. I'm glad to have seen Kenshi, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Tanya and Bo Rai Cho make a come back. And Frost is returning too.

My small wishlist would be:
-Fujin
-Havik
-HOTARU
-Reiko
-Sareena
-Daegon
-Onaga?

And while we're at it, yeah, most of the Black Dragon and Red Dragon members are awful but they're hated by the community just because it's a trend or a meme. So I don't think they are going to be brought back, even if they're perfect to be revamped.
At this point I prefer to just scrap them all and make new characters for those factions.

It's kinda hard to take you seriously, when you talk so much trash, yet you want NRS and other people to show respect...

Clean your own porch first, sweety.
Pretty much, the OP is being pretty hypocritical by talking trash about other characters.

Besides, they're fictional characters. Going on about showing them respect is silly.

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
The hate for the 3D era is just retrospective from people on the bandwagon :)

That being said I doubt it’s less of NRS not giving respect and more so just poking fun at design decisions that don’t really hold up today. Besides why would they disrespect the era that made them millions and won all sorts of rewards? Mortal Kombat was super poppin during those few years, more so than Street Fighter and Tekken, etc.

Let’s not forget NRS is talented enough to “redeem” those characters and make them cooler.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
As a true MK fan we should respect any game or ERA just because. Saying NO BECAUSE THEY SUCK isn’t mature at all I expect that from a kid but a 30+ year old? 30+ year old with a 10 year old brain
He was obviously joking + your logic is kinda derpy.
Lets "respect" a piece of shit because it has an MK staple on it, lol.
What does it have to do with being mature?

BlunderGod

The Kollector wants your lunch money
I think NRS respects the 3D era more than most fans give them credit for. Kobra is one of Tyler and 16bit's favorite characters, and they referenced Shinnok's Armageddon ending during one of his mirror intros (talk about an obscure reference).

And why wouldn't they, these games made MK known worldwide and kept the franchise afloat until WB rejuvenated it.

Lokheit

Noob
In fact, I'd arrange the 3D characters this way:

Amazing, maybe Top 15 Mortal Kombat of all times:

Kenshi
Quan Chi
Tanya

Others we can probably agree are great and should be in the game:

Fujin
Havik
Sareena
Reiko
Ashrah
Daegon
Onaga

Some are good and could me made to work:

Bo'Rai Cho
Drahmin
Taven
Frost
Hotaru
Kai
Kira
Li Mei
Mavado
Nitara

The only truly bad ones were just 4:

Hsu Hao
Kobra
Jarek
Darrius
If you're making a thread about RESPECTING the 3D era charactera and knowing your facts about them, you should at least try to remember them all.

I know Dairou is brutally bland and forgetable, but he sure goes to the list of "just 4 bad characters".

You missed the obvious Goro vs Moloch as he was fought on his lair and looks like in MK11 both corpses are there (could be a generic oni though).

And while they were literally joke characters, where are Mokap and Meat?

Lokheit

Noob
My personal list of 3D era characters I think are wroth of coming back:

- Sareena (second fav)
- Kenshi (top10)
- Quan Chi (top10)
- Reiko
- Havik
- Tanya
- Li Mei
- Fujin
- Bo Rai Cho (joke moves aside he's very valuable to the plot)
- Shinnok
- Onaga

Have potential but I don't see them more than as filler secondaries for comics and background story mode on their current states and I would put the whole trilogy over them unless they're revamped to peak potential:

- Moloch
- Drahmin
- Mavado
- Hotaru
- Shujinko
- Hsu Hao (yeah I don't put him in terrible because at least he has memorable looks)
- Taven
- Daegon
- Ashrah
- Frost (already being revamped in MK11, never liked her but cyber Frost could be interesting to the plot at least).
- Nitara
- Kira (put her over Kobra because an interaction I had with Shaun about the girl in the comics possibly being her).
- Blaze

Joke characters (I would use these as training room skins like Mokujin in Tekken):

- Mokap
- Meat

Terrible and Bland:

- Dairou
- Jarek
- Darrius
- Kai
- Kobra

So that's 11 characters I think would be good additioms, 13 I think would need big revamps (ala Frost) to be worth of consideration over anyone from the trilogy and 5 with no redemption path plus 2 jokes.

Last edited:

Gerchap

Noob
He was obviously joking + your logic is kinda derpy.
Lets "respect" a piece of shit because it has an MK staple on it, lol.
What does it have to do with being mature?
Dude stfu, first of all “let’s respect s piece of shit because it has an mk staple on it” what a stupid statement to say.
Let’s me break it down into parts so you get the point

Obviously you didn’t play the games to an extent to talk about it like if you really know what your saying, also if you really played those games, mention the best only players of that ERA if you can’t come up with names then you were just a random player who decided to try the games but quit after a month or so.

It is known that some of the worse characters are Meat, Kira, Kobra

I’m fact sometimes the players are the ones who make the characters a joke

A player named eazytobeat counterpiecked Sareena “which was probably the best character in MKA due to her zoning and broken gameplay” with Meat and this guy was using Meat at a very elite level that you couldn’t even think Meat was a joke of a character

Kira, if you would have seen @mastermalone beating elite players with her you wouldn’t even know that Kira was a joke of a character

The biggest problem of that ERA was that those games never got regular updates to balance the game, characters such as Dairou, Bo, Sareena etc.

If recent games would’ve stayed as the release date then these games would’ve been jokes too but NRS balanced the characters and that’s why they were superior games in terms of gameplay and character balance.
If you reslly played the games then you’re just a crybaby that couldn’t survive that broken era of MK

Skedar70

Noob
I consider the 3d era to start in MK deadly alliance and not MK4. Even though MK4 had 3d movement the game still played very similarly to mk 3. Quan chi, Shinnok, Tanya and Fujin are mk 4 characters and they are good designs.

Very few of the 3d era characters are salvageable. I consider Kenshi, Frost and maybe Havik to be the only ones. The rest I believe suck.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Dude stfu, first of all “let’s respect s piece of shit because it has an mk staple on it” what a stupid statement to say.
Let’s me break it down into parts so you get the point

Obviously you didn’t play the games to an extent to talk about it like if you really know what your saying, also if you really played those games, mention the best only players of that ERA if you can’t come up with names then you were just a random player who decided to try the games but quit after a month or so.

It is known that some of the worse characters are Meat, Kira, Kobra

I’m fact sometimes the players are the ones who make the characters a joke

A player named eazytobeat counterpiecked Sareena “which was probably the best character in MKA due to her zoning and broken gameplay” with Meat and this guy was using Meat at a very elite level that you couldn’t even think Meat was a joke of a character

Kira, if you would have seen @mastermalone beating elite players with her you wouldn’t even know that Kira was a joke of a character

The biggest problem of that ERA was that those games never got regular updates to balance the game, characters such as Dairou, Bo, Sareena etc.

If recent games would’ve stayed as the release date then these games would’ve been jokes too but NRS balanced the characters and that’s why they were superior games in terms of gameplay and character balance.
If you reslly played the games then you’re just a crybaby that couldn’t survive that broken era of MK
Are you off your meds or something? Kinda going off topic but nvm.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Mavado is beyond saving lmao they had to start by changing his name, it's amazingly stupid. Basically is the spanish word "malvado" (evil) missing an L :DOGE