What's new

NRS should really respect the 3D era characters more

You're just talking from a moveset point of view. You would want Mavado back because of his elastics. I'm talking about the characters as a whole. Learn the damn characters' backgrounds!!

They can always invent movesets for them, the 3D era just didn't give them the proper tools to do what they can do now. Look at Skarlet. She is one-dimensional at first sight. She only uses blood and yet there are so many ways now that they find to incorporate blood.
I'm looking at it from a movset/mechanics point of view because the plot/backgrounds of the 3d era characters are almost all trash.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
The reason most people don't like the 3D characters has little to do with the characters themselves, and more with the fact that DA-Armageddon features a lot of weird design decisions and frankly aren't all that fun to play. And I played tf out of them as a kid. Compared to Tekken at the time, it was night and day. The characters more represent the awkward transition the series was going through.

A lot of ideas from the 3D series did carry on though, like Story Mode and the dedication to explaining things about the characters and their histories, rivals etc. I'm sure some of the characters will be brought back, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for too many.
I'm not a big fan of the 3D era characters, but you are absolutely correct - the poor/awkward gameplay of the DA-Armageddon era gave them no chance to shine.

Skedar70

Noob
I wouldn't consider mk4 characters "3d era". I think the only worthy 3d era character was kenshi and he was saved. Maybe frost but the rest are unworthy.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
why should NRS care about the 3D era that made the previous owner of MK franchise go bankrupt :DOGE
MK was still pretty successful during the 3D era, Midway went bankrupt inspite of MK, not because of it. If anything NRS could throw a bone to the people that kept them their jobs by buying the games they made while their company went bankrupt.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Kenshi
Quan Chi
Shinnok
Reiko
Fujin
Bo'Rai Cho
Havik
Hotaru
Onaga

Those are the only characters who have been salvaged or deserve an attempt to be salvaged. Everyone else is at best completely expendable. Most are trash.

And yes I played the games when they came out.

KCJ506

Noob
The problem is quite of few of the post trilogy characters had potential, however there were victims of mismanagement. NRS has come a long since the 3D era games, so it would be nice for them to give some of those characters another go and put more thought into them.

Even some of the original Trilogy characters weren't too well received at first. Stryker for instance. Many people hated him in MK3 and more people started to warm up to him after MK9 came out.

Though characters like Jarek, Drahmin, Hsu Hao, Kobra, Dairou and Darrius, I wouldn't mind them ever not showing up again.

NRS doesn't need those wack characters. Almost all of the PS2 games' newcomers were awful. Not worthy going through redesigns for them either, cuz nobody even remembers them anymore and you might as well create completely new ones.

Fujin, Tanya and Quan Chi would be the only ones from MK4 I'd welcome.

mattteo

Noob
I think so too. NRS has the talent to bring them back and make them awesome. I know MK has to have its legacy characters as all fighters do but I feel most of those 3D era characters can be redeemed. Obviously Hsu Hao, dairou, and Kobra probably won't come back but it has characters like Havik, Drahmin, Moloch, Li Mei that I personally think are really cool and could be awesome if made today. A few MK4 characters too like Fujin and Reiko could be remade to be awesome too. Just look a Skarlet as an example. There wasn't much to her in MK9 imo, and now she's f****** awesome!

Im just a bit tired of the Special Forces characters. I know Cassie is her own character and all but what is the point in aging Johnny, Sonya, and Jax, introducing their daughters as the next generation and then refuse to retire them? Do we really need all of them again when there are other characters who haven't been playable in 8+ years? I personally don't think so. Cage/Sonya/Jax can still be in the game and important to the story via cutscenes and such, they don't always need to be playable characters though. I am also a bit biased against Kano, he can afford to sit one out too imo.

And yet Sonya and Kano were the ones revealed. And Cage is on the way. Bummer.

It all comes from Ed Boon. He hates the 3D era though it was in no eay the reason for Midway bankruptcy. And if Ed Boon never mentions 3D era characters on his twitter and gives directions to the people working under him to just put UMK3 characters in the game, of course some people here at TYM will start hating on them and calling their fans idiots. Because they feel empowered by their leader Ed Boon, like sheep following a sheperd.

That's why the 3D era characters don't have a big fanbase, because they're not promoted. But look what happens when they get promoted, like Kenshi or Havik or Reiko or Tanya or Fujin

Last edited:

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
Eh, there were a couple good ones in the mix. Quan Chi and Kenshi come to mind first obviously, they're really good characters. Fujin is right there on the cusp - I'd really like to see him come back and see what NRS do with him. Kung fu amplified with wind could be really cool IMO, you could have all these "wire-fu movie" type moves.

I'm pretty sure I'd love Bo Rai Cho if it weren't for the farts and vomit. Just have Sammo Hung do drunken style kung fu and you've got yourself a character. But the other stuff ruin him for me. (And I don't mean he can't be funny. His mirror match dialog in MKX ("You're drunk, go back to sleep") is funny, Johnny and Cassie Cage are funny, and I love them. But leave the farts out.)

Shujinko and the whole "old guy who has mastered the best martial arts techniques in all the world" angle has potential too, but he can't be a collection of copy-paste moves. He would've honed and perfected each move (in his opinion, at least), so while he could have Scorpion's spear, its utility would be different. (I think Takeda was a good example of this - Scorpion's influence is obvious, but the moves (spear, teleport) are still different.)

But a lot of the 3d era folk are really "meh". There's some cool visual designs, but that's about it. Having too many characters in a story also runs the risk of making the plot overly complicated, or some characters unnecessary (and thus, uninteresting). I think MKX had a good amount of characters, and MK11 looks to be that way as well. Sure, some are jobbers, but they fill that role in the narrative. You can't have a martial arts action story without some jobbers.

Aramonde

Noob
The 3D era characters are great they just had the unfortunate luck of being made when The NRS guys were going through huge growing pains, losing their best writer they ever had, a game engine the wasn't great and being owned by a company that was losing money.

It's going to be hard for them to come back because now they to fight the "Yo DaH 3D eRa suxxx dooooood!!!"crowd and the older nrs guys who don't want remember that era because if the reasons I mentioned above.

Hopefully they will be respected but sadly I don't think many will ever get a second chance.

mattteo

Noob
The 3D era characters are great they just had the unfortunate luck of being made when The NRS guys were going through huge growing pains, losing their best writer they ever had

With respect to John Tobias, Vogel, Jon Greenberg and Alexander Barrentine wrote better in the 3D era than he ever did.

Based what off I read, I definitely agree with some of the comparisons you made. Objectively Sonya is that girl of course but it’s pretty clear she doesn’t compare to Tanya...periodt.

Error404

Noob
To be fair to OP though , the 3D characters suck , because the 3D games weren't that good. Having the fixed martial arts styles , and mostly having to use normals wasn't a goos idea. This left very little room for cool new specials for the newcomers. Perhaps , if revamped 1 by 1 over time , something could be made of them.

MioTenacious

"There is fear in your heart"
I don't find anything real interesting about all these ps2 era characters, i do like some of them like Havik for example but i don't mind not getting those in MK11 and i would rather have the real MK characters that need to make their comeback like Noob Saibot, Shang Tsung.. but these 3D era characters are just meh,literally most of them look like they are in a cheap halloween costume you can find at my local supermarket

KCJ506

Noob
I'd be satisfied if we could get even one post trilogy character that wasn't playable in MK9 or MKX. Preferable Fujin since he's been teased since MK9 and he'd actually make sense to be in the main story with the whole Dark Raiden. And then maybe 2 or 3 more added as DLC afterwards.

The majority of those characters were so underdeveloped that if they were brought back and revamped, they would pretty much be new characters. Almost half of them shot generic fireballs and had terribly animated kicking/punching specials. Hell Tanya was initially pretty bland and generic and didn't start to stand out more until MKX.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
The 3D era characters that are actually good (such as Quan Chi, and Kenshi) are getting the love they deserve. Shinnok, Tanya and Bo'Rai Cho made it to MKX as well, and in fact Shinnok bossed it. So you can't say they've been ignored. Perhaps we'll get one or two of the others in MK11. But by and large 3D era characters suck. Too many of them are too bad for the whole group to have a decent reputation.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I think there is a good reason, why Boon is rarely speaking of 3D games, they did when it comes to talking about the franchise.