What's new

NRS: Please leave the skins alone!

lobo

woof.
We all know that the third skins that are being released are often, if not always the old "unfixed" version of the characters. I see tons of complaints about this for whatever reasons.

My theory on them is this; I believe that, by including the initial 'broken' versions of characters, NRS may have accidentally stumbled on a brilliant solution to many of the competitive community's complaints about "too much patching" or "over-nerfing". They may also have accidentally pioneered a new feature in FGs that others can follow; the ability to revert, on the fly, to unpatched characters. Call me crazy, but I love the idea and the options it will create.

Will this create crying about online players using overpowered characters? Sure, it will...But really who cares? Online play is for casual amusement, and playing 'broken' characters against others will only increase replay value for online players.

We can always ban the 3rd skins from competition, no problem...even in online tournaments. Leaving them as is, though, not only gives more novelty options for character selection, but it gives those of us screaming for more time with the characters exactly what we want. As the game plays out, we can actually explore these 3rd skins and see what, in the long run, is actually broken and what can be adapted to or learned, and perhaps in time the unpatched characters will once again be viable and legal in a tournament setting.

NRS, please leave the 3rd skins alone, with all their tweaks and problems, for us to play around with and test. There is really nothing to lose in doing so. Everyone crying about not using them in competition can just as easily settle on one of the perfectly adequate original two skins for their character

Who's with me?

notjuice

Skerptor And Shuan Tsi
so the vast majority of people who play this game, which, by your definition, are "casual amusement" people have to get fucked?

shut up. enough people talk smack about the online community when the online community is very much our only outlet for competition. yeah sure the xbox leaderboards are full of people who make smurf accounts to get ridiculous win/loss ratios, but there is quite big pockets of competition centric communities. this is seriously the last community i expected to see a thread like this. just because i'm not in a tournament doesn't mean i should be forced to get losses or leaves because we have an issue of "selective balancing".

if someone doesn't want the updates to their characters, they can delete their patch notes and simply deny mk from patching. if NRS does this, i would seriously drop this game like a bad habit and i'm fairly certain most of the online competition would leave this game for another. most of the competition online that i've been around has already been pretty vocal about leaving this game if NRS continues to drop the ball with their continued support.

what a joke, this thread needs to be locked.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Idk I see your point about making it more diverse, but me personally I don't want to two or three different versions of a character. Characters like smoke and cyrax...who wouldn't always be picking the classic pre patched costumes for them? I know you said we could always choose the original outfits, but I don't control what my opponent picks. I think the characters should all be uniform regardless of costume, because the last time I checked costumes were supposed to be purely aesthetic. 3 different versions of cyrax is just absurd imo.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
as Jenny Cage so eloquently put it, NO. its a bad idea, it leads to bannings that should be unnecessary. the way is see it, i still like the idea of every alt in the game giving some of the characters new properties or animations because the ALT is just so different it requires them to be a different character almost. what i DO NOT WANT is a character to play like it did when it had something thought overpowered was taken away from it. imagine if a Kabal alt came out that brought back the infinite that damn near destroyed the MK9 tournament scene. does that sound fun or fair, banned or not? ill finish that by saying it DOESNT. but right now it really doesnt matter much because the skins we are getting are all on the disc with most of the info being devoted to actually downloading the character itself. so until we run out of on disc alternates (aside from klassics), i can only imagine theylll remain unpatched till ALL OF THEM have been unlocked.

It sounds like a cool but bad idea.. The game has been patched for good reasons. They could however add an unpatched mode for the hell of it.

this game is turning to be a mess with all these patches (not including gamebreaking fixes like blockfinites, freezes, etc etc)

Jamison

Noob
Well let the hate start, but I am with lobo. I play for fun and if someone finds out some sort of loop hole in the game development thats fine with me and patches are for tournament style play. The alternate costume idea is brilliant and allows the game to remain competitive and ridiculous all at the same time. Someone picks bomb trap cyrax I pick OTG smoke...ect. It allows far more play styles you will face online. It's not like you couldn't preface a match or build a room that says no prepatch skins and in turn a room called free for all. Sounds good to me. I see Noob rooms all the time.

And I see a lot of complaining about the online and yes there are issues, but how can you complain when the game is this good. Desync, game no longer available, player left are things I see often and I even have 10 disconnects that were not the fault of my top tier braodband connection. Still love this game.

DIRTY

Noob
Oh wow, Can't believe I just read that. We're already getting abused by latency online, Now you WANT us to have glitched retros left online and ban them at tourneys? I could care less about my online record. As a matter a fact... I enjoy playing someone who is on a higher level then me, So I can learn from my mistakes. However, These losses are gladly accepted when getting beaten legitimately. Doesn't feel good to get bomb trapped by an untechable grab repeatedly. Can I perform the bomb trap, Yes ( Sure we all can ) Have I ever chose that MK3 Cyrax outfit after learning the bomb trap is still intact, Hell no! It was never intended to be there in the first place.

You'll probably get your wish, Due to NRS incompetence... But to request this, That's ridiculous! Online is broken enough, Please... No thank you.

For casual amusement, Lol. Sounds like you can afford to travel for offline competitive play, I can't. Now...

Back to my, I'm an MK scrub simply because I don't feel the need to have to travel to play someone else 1v1. Damn online players, Thinking all the countless hours of gameplay means anything. :(

lobo

woof.
you all misinterpret the meaning here. i play the game all the time online as well. if i don't like the way someone plays or the connection i get or whatever, i simply stop playing that person. seems like an easy enough solution to me.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
I don't understand; are the alt skins intentionally the old pre-rebalance versions or is it an unintentional bug?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I don't understand; are the alt skins intentionally the old pre-rebalance versions or is it an unintentional bug?
Bug, the skins were made before they patched the game, and the person in charge of the skins never went and updated them as well.
This is speculation, but the only way for this to happen is that all alts are seperate characters and they have to update the alts as well, and thus we have this silly problem.

McNasty

Moist.
I love this idea. It reminds me of super turbo having O. and N. characters. Obviously these characters would probably be excluded from tournaments but its a cool idea to have essentially extra characters. M3. cyrax M2. smoke M2. noob H.cryax

lobo

woof.
I love this idea. It reminds me of super turbo having O. and N. characters. Obviously these characters would probably be excluded from tournaments but its a cool idea to have essentially extra characters. M3. cyrax M2. smoke M2. noob H.cryax
exactly.

look, online play is in fact a viable tool to use to get better at the game, learn anti-character strategy, improve muscle memory etc...BUT, if you truly want to get better then you shouldn't be wasting time playing random people who abuse online anyway. if you play someone using bomb trap cyrax, no problem. you can either quit the game and not play that person, or you can fight fire with fire and try to find creative ways around it. really, the classic skins remaining unpatched doesn't hurt the game in any way, imo. if you wish to be competitive, then don't use them or do it under a mutual agreement clause.

i don't understand how some of you are equating this with 'punishing' online players. lol. if anything it gives you more weapons with which to fight that dreaded "spam". all i'm asking for is that they direct their efforts elsewhere and leave something alone that adds extra replay value to the game.

MKK hanzo

We all know that the third skins that are being released are often, if not always the old "unfixed" version of the characters. I see tons of complaints about this for whatever reasons.

My theory on them is this; I believe that, by including the initial 'broken' versions of characters, NRS may have accidentally stumbled on a brilliant solution to many of the competitive community's complaints about "too much patching" or "over-nerfing". They may also have accidentally pioneered a new feature in FGs that others can follow; the ability to revert, on the fly, to unpatched characters. Call me crazy, but I love the idea and the options it will create.

Will this create crying about online players using overpowered characters? Sure, it will...But really who cares? Online play is for casual amusement, and playing 'broken' characters against others will only increase replay value for online players.

We can always ban the 3rd skins from competition, no problem...even in online tournaments. Leaving them as is, though, not only gives more novelty options for character selection, but it gives those of us screaming for more time with the characters exactly what we want. As the game plays out, we can actually explore these 3rd skins and see what, in the long run, is actually broken and what can be adapted to or learned, and perhaps in time the unpatched characters will once again be viable and legal in a tournament setting.

NRS, please leave the 3rd skins alone, with all their tweaks and problems, for us to play around with and test. There is really nothing to lose in doing so. Everyone crying about not using them in competition can just as easily settle on one of the perfectly adequate original two skins for their character

Who's with me?
Smash Bros.much? Sorry,no rule set this time. Or wouldyou want Cage and Scorpion from the demo with jab lockdowns?

McNasty

Moist.
Smash Bros.much? Sorry,no rule set this time. Or wouldyou want Cage and Scorpion from the demo with jab lockdowns?
No character alt at this time is that broken. 1.02 smoke, cyrax, noob are fine. the only reason I can see a reason to change them is for people who want the alts for aesthetics only and thats not something that will ever happen in tournament.

I get the idea. It would be a lot more interesting if applied to SSF4 imo. Giving people the choice to use the vanilla, chocolate or strawberry version of their characters could be interesting I guess... But then obviously people would only pick the best version of their characters.

Sounds cool on paper but problem is SSF4 didn't have a lot of broken shit like MK9.

aj1701

Noob
you all misinterpret the meaning here. i play the game all the time online as well. if i don't like the way someone plays or the connection i get or whatever, i simply stop playing that person. seems like an easy enough solution to me.
I think its easier said than done. Sure, you can stop playing that person, but what about the huge numbers of others like him?

At the end of the day, this is a game, and it should be fun. I don't think most have fun facing the same unintended infinites over and over again.

aj1701

Noob
Bug, the skins were made before they patched the game, and the person in charge of the skins never went and updated them as well.
This is speculation, but the only way for this to happen is that all alts are seperate characters and they have to update the alts as well, and thus we have this silly problem.
I wouldn't be suprised if this was correct. Its pretty lazy too, its call copy-and-paste programming. It happens where i work, and its a huge mess. Fix the bug one place, good luck finding the copied code that still contains that bug everywhere.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
what a terrible idea

i really want to use noob's alternate with the smoke clones... but i can't because then im unable to use the black hole setups the same way. it SUCKS.

LordxMugen

FIGHTAN GAHMS!!!
No character alt at this time is that broken. 1.02 smoke, cyrax, noob are fine. the only reason I can see a reason to change them is for people who want the alts for aesthetics only and thats not something that will ever happen in tournament.
but in MK9 alts can be more than just AESTHETICS, it can also mean different properties. like MK3 cyrax is right now THE BEST VERSION of him, and its not because of the bomb trap, its also because his specials are actually faster or just as fast as the original AND he has a teleport that is as fast as his human version. Cyrax players would TOTALLY want that and want to play as him just for the faster specials alone. and its a damn shame to be denied a better character just because he can do something hes not supposed to do anymore.

but anyways, thats what i like best about the Alts in MK9, some of them might actually make your character better or worse and its not just there to look pretty. to me thats awesome as long as they dont have something that makes them inherently broken.

SZSR

Noob
I've been playing as Smoke with his new MK2 costume and since they removed my unblockable ground Smoke Bomb, I sucked it up compared to my bro's Kung Lao. I like this costume and would like to play in it more, because it's better than his other costumes, but now it's reglitched.

Kovu

The Crownless King
I like this idea, like the OP said, just have the option to ban the 3rd skins in tournaments.

I'd use them as counterpicks. XD