What's new

NRS Introduces Enhanced Online BETA For MKX; Sign-Ups Are Now Live

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I can't access beta.mortalkombat.com ...it says I don't have the permission to access on this server.

Does it work for you?

Gamer68

Fujin!
I've made tons of comments and threads over the past couple months that begin and/or end with me saying something bad about NRS -- rather it's about the netcode, KP2 characters, poor PC support, etc. I figured it would be pretty cool to actually make a thread thanking NRS instead.

I've said it before and I will say it again: The entire reason why I basically "quit" MKX and gave up on it was because of it's poor netcode. I don't have any locals, and I don't know anyone that is actually interested in playing "competitively" or just trying to level-up and get better. So I rely on online to get the closest thing to competitive gameplay that I can get. Even if I wasn't trying to constantly level-up and get better, and was just trying to have fun, the online would still be very important. It's a action-multiplayer fighting game in 2015/2016 that we are talking about here; the netcode is more important than getting DLC characters or any sort of additional content (I know everyone here will agree with me when I say that, it's TYM).

With all the people who said they knew how netcode "works" saying that it was basically impossible to fix the netcode, and with the fact that I thought NetherRealm and Warner Bros. would not want to waste time and resources fixing MKX when they could just move-on to Injustice 2 (and make more money), I honestly thought the netcode would never change and I would never be interested in playing Mortal Kombat X at the highest level I can -- and that it would basically just be a "party game" to play with friends/family and nothing more. It seems that I was wrong.

Like you probably (most likely) already know, today NetherRealm Studios announced that Mortal Kombat X will be switching to GGPO-like based netcode, hoping to drastically reduce lag and just have better online gameplay all around. That isn't even it though, because they are going to Beta test the netcode before adding it into the main game. This means that they actually care about developing good netcode before implementing it into the main game, rather than just quickly throwing in something that could potentially be just as bad or possibly even worse. This is literally the best thing NRS/WB could do for MKX. And it also means that they listened.

This, along with the new KP2 content coming (I'm excited about Tri-Borg, Bo' Rai Cho and The Pit), I'm actually interested in playing Mortal Kombat X at the best level I can. I will definitely be signing-up for the Enhanced Online Beta. Of course, this doesn't fix all the mistakes NRS/WB has made with MKX. There's still microtransaction/DLC shenanigans, poor PC support (it seems like KP2/Enhanced Netcode won't be coming to PC?), the story was the most disappointing out of MK9, Injustice and MKX, etc. Who knows... this netcode could still end up being terrible despite it being rollback + having a Beta. But this is still a HUGE step in the right direction for NRS (and MKX), and could actually mean that their next game will have GGPO-like netcode from DAY ONE. And you know what, it just feels good to actually be smiling about MKX and looking forward to playing more again vs. being disappointed all the time.

I doubt anyone from NRS/WB will actually see this, but if someone does: Thank you.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Man,

As far as I can see, this is unprecedented. I've heard of game companies improving their network code over time (SF4) but never entirely changing the basis on which the netcode works at this point in time. This is a major, major move and NRS/WB should be 100% applauded for even trying this at all.

NRS and WB made a lot of money with MK9, and a lot from the combination of IGAU+IGAU mobile, and it's nice to see them willing to give back. Between the constant pot bonuses, the ESL season support, the patches and updates, and this, it's never been better; and I hope people are grateful for it all.

This scene and company have come a long way.

Biggest news to hit MKX (maybe MK) ever!

Curious to know how it's going to be added though, patch? new download? Really going to suck if it's 40+gb to update the complete game. But still, small price to pay for decent online play.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
I've made tons of comments and threads over the past couple months that begin and/or end with me saying something bad about NRS -- rather it's about the netcode, KP2 characters, poor PC support, etc. I figured it would be pretty cool to actually make a thread thanking NRS instead.

I've said it before and I will say it again: The entire reason why I basically "quit" MKX and gave up on it was because of it's poor netcode. I don't have any locals, and I don't know anyone that is actually interested in playing "competitively" or just trying to level-up and get better. So I rely on online to get the closest thing to competitive gameplay that I can get. Even if I wasn't trying to constantly level-up and get better, and was just trying to have fun, the online would still be very important. It's a action-multiplayer fighting game in 2015/2016 that we are talking about here; the netcode is more important than getting DLC characters or any sort of additional content (I know everyone here will agree with me when I say that, it's TYM).

With all the people who said they knew how netcode "works" saying that it was basically impossible to fix the netcode, and with the fact that I thought NetherRealm and Warner Bros. would not want to waste time and resources fixing MKX when they could just move-on to Injustice 2 (and make more money), I honestly thought the netcode would never change and I would never be interested in playing Mortal Kombat X at the highest level I can -- and that it would basically just be a "party game" to play with friends/family and nothing more. It seems that I was wrong.

Like you probably (most likely) already know, today NetherRealm Studios announced that Mortal Kombat X will be switching to GGPO-like based netcode, hoping to drastically reduce lag and just have better online gameplay all around. That isn't even it though, because they are going to Beta test the netcode before adding it into the main game. This means that they actually care about developing good netcode before implementing it into the main game, rather than just quickly throwing in something that could potentially be just as bad or possibly even worse. This is literally the best thing NRS/WB could do for MKX. And it also means that they listened.

This, along with the new KP2 content coming (I'm excited about Tri-Borg, Bo' Rai Cho and The Pit), I'm actually interested in playing Mortal Kombat X at the best level I can. I will definitely be signing-up for the Enhanced Online Beta. Of course, this doesn't fix all the mistakes NRS/WB has made with MKX. There's still microtransaction/DLC shenanigans, poor PC support (it seems like KP2/Enhanced Netcode won't be coming to PC?), the story was the most disappointing out of MK9, Injustice and MKX, etc. Who knows... this netcode could still end up being terrible despite it being rollback + having a Beta. But this is still a HUGE step in the right direction for NRS (and MKX), and could actually mean that their next game will have GGPO-like netcode from DAY ONE. And you know what, it just feels good to actually be smiling about MKX and looking forward to playing more again vs. being disappointed all the time.

I doubt anyone from NRS/WB will actually see this, but if someone does: Thank you.
nrs has employees on this site they will see it .

I doubted they would fix online myself I didn't post to my knowledge it's impossible to fix but I have to say thanks nrs for listening @colt @tylerlansdown

Now kabuki jo for kp3? ;p heh also would love to hear what's happening with of PC mkx :)

Last edited:

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Call me petty but somehow my favorite part about this is the TYM "lulz NRS sucks" brigade eating shit. Though I'm sure their argument will now turn to "it took them long enough." Anyway, eat shit.
Are you clairvoyant? Because that's already happened... within this thread no less :p

I'm just as happy about this as everyone else here but you're delusional if you think they did this for the mk fans. It's much too convenient with them trying to sell the kp2 and the fact sf5 (a beta tested ggpo game btw ) is releasing in febuary. They had no choice.

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
who was that asshole that told me they where never going to try and update the netcode for MKX? Right everyone. lol. Reminded again why posting here is sometimes a bad idea. :DOGE