What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Tempest Noone can stop it!!

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Into combo*

4, B2, B32, F2, 11212, etc, these are buttons you can combo into FULL combo. IA Divekick has a launch with very poor gravity so combos into like 17% more damage.
So? you can easily still just go ex spin off the kick for 30+, don't know why you are acting like no matter what it is that isn't incredibly awesome tool to have.

Alls im saying is Kotal no matter the variation gets smothered by lao.

*ed*

Best thing I can say for Kotal vs lao, in blood god obsidian totem gives you a tick of bar for every punch in his throw, which is kinda funny.

coolwhip

Noob
Sometimes players force that
nmp (Not My Problem)

Maybe king should pick u Kenshi
Well yeah, you outplayed him. It's pretty evident given how lopsided it was. He still did some questionable things in the match-up such as trying to counter-zone with straight hat. I thought he was being way too patient as well. Kenshi in this game doesn't this sort of respect. And yeah, it isn't your problem nor should it be.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
What are tempest Lao's advantages over GM Sub-Zero? Looks like a pretty even match-up. The talking point about teleport being some kind of problem in this match-up for Sub is something I never bought. This isn't MK9, Lao shouldn't be able to do raw teleports with any consistency in any match-up. Teleports should only be used off of jump ins.
Raw teleports should never be used I agree, and point in case about the outplaying, F0xy tried to do it to Madzin a couple of times and madzin not only AA'd but converted to like 22%.

So? you can easily still just go ex spin off the kick for 30+, don't know why you are acting like no matter what it is that isn't incredibly awesome tool to have.

Alls im saying is Kotal no matter the variation gets smothered by lao.

*ed*

Best thing I can say for Kotal vs lao, in blood god obsidian totem gives you a tick of bar for every punch in his throw, which is kinda funny.
I'm not acting like anything, stop putting words in my mouth, Divekick is awesome, I was just correcting your improper use of terminology no biggie, you said it is a full combo starter which it is not, I wasn't saying anything but that

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I'm not acting like anything, stop putting words in my mouth, Divekick is awesome, I was just correcting your improper use of terminology no biggie, you said it is a full combo starter which it is not, I wasn't saying anything but that
Except you literally can go into full combo cause you can easily ex spin off the divekick to get 30+%, earn some reading comprehension son.

Tweedy

Noob
I disagree, his J2 is really nice for going through the Clone, and he gets a free Teleport mix-up whenever he sees him use it. The Clone beats his D4, but isn't very consistent against his D1, which beats out everything Sub has.

Regardless, even if he did get absolutely fraped by the clone, it's not enough to draw an idea of the match up. Where some characters might have the strength of not worrying much about clone as something that helps them in this match up, Lao has different advantages here, such as converting for some of the highest damage in the game of p much everything, against one of the lowest damage characters in the game, and his chip damage is awesome as well. Practically every single one of Lao's buttons are better than Sub's, Sub has a 50/50 and a Clone however, but that 50/50 is punishable, and the Clone doesnt make up for the fact that Lao does like double his damage on absolutely everything plus with faster start ups and usually safer, including his block strings, pressure, armour, and openers.

The Clone just doesn't do enough vs Lao specifically to make one of the absolute strongest characters in the game trade evenly let alone poorly with one of the bottom half of the cast characters, and the only logic I've seen that says otherwise is people pointing at the ONE Madzin set where he destroyed absolutely everyone that tournament. In my opinion, he simply outplayed F0xy just like he did everyone else, and to anyone actually watching that match familiar with the match-up should be able to recognise that. Nah, even as Hat Trick this match is mine all day, and as Tempest it's definitely slanted even further in my favour.
Yeah, I disagree. His teleport is only viable vs lesser players. A good Sub won't just spam the Klone, leading to an easy teleport mix up.

Jumping at the klone with J2 is super risky, but I agree that it can definitely do work.

Lao has a very strong neutral game/ability to anti air that leads to his beast corner game. Sub Zero's klone makes up for his neutral game imo. Tempest Lao doesn't have a way around it, besides taking big risks. This makes the match up 5-5 imo.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Would love to see that. Thou it never gonna happen. :16Bit
I can see it one day. He did pick Goro once :DOGE
I think people are overeacting right now. One thing is for sure, Tempest needs a damage reduction, but the rest is fine.
Also I believe Commando Kano is a good mu against him. People just don't know. Maybe Cybernetic too.

Tweedy

Noob
Last post in this thread, since some trolls are in it lol.

Imo if Quan Chi or Tanya won this same thread would have been made, but in reference to them. Saying that no character goes 5-5 with Tempest Lao is super silly.

Edit: I'm not referring to hands. Talking about that weird Kenshi dude.

I GOT HANDS

Except you literally can go into full combo cause you can easily ex spin off the divekick to get 30+%, earn some reading comprehension son.
That's still not a full combo, that's spending a bar to try delay the gravity, however with a full combo opener like one of the ones I mentioned you can get all that you get here and much more by spending that same bar. This is not a full combo. Also, there is no need for the shots. If I'm wrong, explain how I'm wrong, you can just calmly and simply correct me like I did you. I'm not wrong though, nor did I say anything about Divekick being bad or good, I'm just saying how it works. I'm sure you are capable of discussing / explaining your opinion without the insults or getting so upset, however this is really not worth how far it's already gotten, I was simply correcting the improper use of terminology you used, because it gives the wrong impression to people unfamiliar. Divekick is not one of his full combo starters, regardless of whether you get 30% for a bar or not. He gets a LOT more than that off an actual full combo starter for a bar.

Yeah, I disagree. His teleport is only viable vs lesser players. A good Sub won't just spam the Klone, leading to an easy teleport mix up.

Jumping at the klone with J2 is super risky, but I agree that it can definitely do work.

Lao has a very strong neutral game/ability to anti air that leads to his beast corner game. Sub Zero's klone makes up for his neutral game imo. Tempest Lao doesn't have a way around it, besides taking big risks. This makes the match up 5-5 imo.
I can see the perspective, I just don't share it. Assuming the Clone makes up for the massive advantage Lao has in the neutral, and as such leaves them on equal footing/footsies in the neutral (which is a reach IMO but we'll give it to him), then Lao still wins out heavily on damage, as well as having better armour, AA, air-to-air/air-to-ground, faster advancing strings, INSANELY better oki and pressure. Sub-Zero does have a couple of options Lao doesn't but it just isn't enough considering how heavily he converts from ALL the advantages he has.

I also disagree about the Teleport, your opponent doesn't need to be spamming Clone at all, he just needs to use clone at ANY time during the neutral anywhere on screen, and you get a Teleport mix-up. Now you can say, OK well then Sub player just chooses not Clone without plus frames, and that's absolutely fine - the threat of Teleport has already done its job and means Lao completely wins the fullscreen.

I actually think jumping at a Clone already up with J2 is very gimmicky and something easily punished by backdash, but I meant it more as the fact that anytime you can threaten a jump in 2 (which is a LOT of time), Sub can't safely Clone.

Just my opinion, hopefully I've explained and delivered it well, and even if you disagree I hope you can see why I genuinely feel that this match-up is positive for Lao.

Last post in this thread, since some trolls are in it lol.

Imo if Quan Chi or Tanya won this same thread would have been made, but in reference to them. Saying that no character goes 5-5 with Tempest Lao is super silly.

Edit: I'm not referring to hands. Talking about that weird Kenshi dude.
Don't worry, I knew who you were talking about - he is even agreeing with me here and I can't take it seriously, that guy is the definition of an agenda pusher.

I also agree that multiple characters go even with Tempest, especially after the latest patch. However, I do not believe that GM is one of them at all.

Last edited:

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I'm a Lao player, and I love F0xy. But I think Madzin just outplayed him big time there. One set is not proof of anything, everything I can see gives Lao the advantage in this match up.
Yeah I got rekt.

But that was meta 1, the games evolved since then.

Tempest has ways to force sub to play neutral and ignore the clone, as well as a couple options around the clone anyway.

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Yeah I got rekt.

But that was meta 1, the games evolved since then.

Tempest has ways to force sub to play neutral and ignore the clone, as well as a couple options around the clone anyway.
You did really well better than I and most the rest of TYM would have

Madzin was just on a rampage that day, nothing else to it. Was a great watch either way.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
People overuse word "viable". Yes many characters are viable but imo no one atm goes even with Tempest Lao. It's not like he was buffed lately or smtg, people just forgot how good he actually is coz Sonic doesn't play him nor Yomi (at Foxy level anyway) lately so people care less for him. Beside all Tempest Lao obvious strengths, string staggering in the corner and the whole corner game with him is insane or if you prefer - dumb.
Are you saying tempest Lao wins every single match up?

Clampa_

Learn from this.
he certainly is more pressure, but his 11 into either 3 or f2 is a 50/50 in my eyes in the same way batgirl had stagger strings into her low/overheads, even though there are holes, just because he doesn't revolve around a vortex doesnt mean its not effective in the match up, mainly because you are taking a big risk using cyclone to armor out as its very unsafe.