What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Tempest Noone can stop it!!

El_Rubio

Noob
After watching the last mayor I came with some doubts, is really BG Kotal Khan a good MU against Tempest Kung Lao? I think Forever King is insanely good with a lot of characters, but was this a good option?

Erron Black seems a good option against Tempest and King also knows how to use him but he did not pick him so I really don´t know...

If u have the knowledge of the game that F. King has, which character would you choose to face Tempest Kung Lao?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think Sub-Zero Grandmaster goes even with Temp Lao. I know it may seem hard to believe but madzin and foxy are super close and awesome to watch play each other. Might just be me as a viewer, but I feel like that is a cool matchup.

Tweedy

Noob
Erron Black probably loses to Lao. Imo several characters go even with him, like Shinnok, Kitana, both Cage's, Jax, Tanya, Pred, GM Sub etc.

I forgot Liu Kang and Kotal Khan. There are so many characters that are super good.

Edit: Quan, Takeda.... Yeah, complaining about Lao is crazy. There are plenty of characters who can compete.

Last edited:

El_Rubio

Noob
Erron Black probably loses to Lao. Imo several characters go even with him, like Shinnok, Kitana, both Cage's, Jax, Tanya, Pred, GM Sub etc.

I forgot Liu Kang and Kotal Khan. There are so many characters that are super good.

Edit: Quan, Takeda.... Yeah, complaining about Lao is crazy. There are plenty of characters who can compete.
Mmm... I´m not sure about that, Foxy raped Forever King´s Predator and Kotal Khan...

BTW: I´m not complaining, just asking out of curiosity, as I play Slasher, I have nothing to complain.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
After watching the last mayor I came with some doubts, is really BG Kotal Khan a good MU against Tempest Kung Lao? I think Forever King is insanely good with a lot of characters, but was this a good option?

Erron Black seems a good option against Tempest and King also knows how to use him but he did not pick him so I really don´t know...

If u have the knowledge of the game that F. King has, which character would you choose to face Tempest Kung Lao?
Kenshi

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I think Sub-Zero Grandmaster goes even with Temp Lao. I know it may seem hard to believe but madzin and foxy are super close and awesome to watch play each other. Might just be me as a viewer, but I feel like that is a cool matchup.
Grand Master Sub Zero is horrible against Lao, here is my proof.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Well... it does at profficency levels as the one showned in the last mayor. I did not see any Ermac or Takeda or Lao HATTRICK at TOP 8...
F0xy players Hatrick very well, he was waiting for the buffs to see how viable it would be and deduced that they did not make it a viable pick over Tempest, it's a very niche variation to choose.

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
I believe that king did what ever he could to lose,the things I am going to write below don't change the fact that foxy would win no matter what,but just saying........
Let the math do the work,gunslinger cannot win tempest because at the last hit of the low guns lao can perform an ex teleport and then 40%+ damage will come out,and it is something that erron needs to do a lot since it's the variation's best move,besides king is not that good with erron black,it doesn't mean that everyone plays as sonicfox,now about kotal Kahn,when someone's purpose is to summon a totem that will reduce opponen'ts damage for almost the whole match,it means that he knows that he will lose but he just wants to delay the loss,the fact that he didn't pick lao for a mirror means that he knew he had no chance,but it would be the best choice!!!

Immortal

Blind justice....
People overuse word "viable". Yes many characters are viable but imo no one atm goes even with Tempest Lao. It's not like he was buffed lately or smtg, people just forgot how good he actually is coz Sonic doesn't play him nor Yomi (at Foxy level anyway) lately so people care less for him. Beside all Tempest Lao obvious strengths, string staggering in the corner and the whole corner game with him is insane or if you prefer - dumb.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I'm a Lao player, and I love F0xy. But I think Madzin just outplayed him big time there. One set is not proof of anything, everything I can see gives Lao the advantage in this match up.

Tweedy

Noob
I'm a Lao player, and I love F0xy. But I think Madzin just outplayed him big time there. One set is not proof of anything, everything I can see gives Lao the advantage in this match up.
What exactly gives Tempest the advantage over GM? Imo he struggles vs the Klone more than any other top tier, besides maybe Cassie Cage.

Tweedy

Noob
People overuse word "viable". Yes many characters are viable but imo no one atm goes even with Tempest Lao. It's not like he was buffed lately or smtg, people just forgot how good he actually is coz Sonic doesn't play him nor Yomi (at Foxy level anyway) lately so people care less for him. Beside all Tempest Lao obvious strengths, string staggering in the corner and the whole corner game with him is insane or if you prefer - dumb.
Lol. Well the trolls are here.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
is really BG Kotal Khan a good MU against Tempest Kung Lao?
Just posting to say, no.

b12, b122 both punishable by ex spin and that is the cornerstone of kotals everything. Everything off that no matter the variation has a gap cept wargod OH sword, and Kung can instant air divekick punish it into full combo.

I GOT HANDS

What exactly gives Tempest the advantage over GM? Imo he struggles vs the Klone more than any other top tier, besides maybe Cassie Cage.
I disagree, his J2 is really nice for going through the Clone, and he gets a free Teleport mix-up whenever he sees him use it. The Clone beats his D4, but isn't very consistent against his D1, which beats out everything Sub has.

Regardless, even if he did get absolutely fraped by the clone, it's not enough to draw an idea of the match up. Where some characters might have the strength of not worrying much about clone as something that helps them in this match up, Lao has different advantages here, such as converting for some of the highest damage in the game of p much everything, against one of the lowest damage characters in the game, and his chip damage is awesome as well. Practically every single one of Lao's buttons are better than Sub's, Sub has a 50/50 and a Clone however, but that 50/50 is punishable, and the Clone doesnt make up for the fact that Lao does like double his damage on absolutely everything plus with faster start ups and usually safer, including his block strings, pressure, armour, and openers.

The Clone just doesn't do enough vs Lao specifically to make one of the absolute strongest characters in the game trade evenly let alone poorly with one of the bottom half of the cast characters, and the only logic I've seen that says otherwise is people pointing at the ONE Madzin set where he destroyed absolutely everyone that tournament. In my opinion, he simply outplayed F0xy just like he did everyone else, and to anyone actually watching that match familiar with the match-up should be able to recognise that. Nah, even as Hat Trick this match is mine all day, and as Tempest it's definitely slanted even further in my favour.

I GOT HANDS

Just posting to say, no.

b12, b122 both punishable by ex spin and that is the cornerstone of kotals everything. Everything off that no matter the variation has a gap cept wargod OH sword, and Kung can instant air divekick punish it into full combo.
Into combo*

4, B2, B32, F2, 11212, etc, these are buttons you can combo into FULL combo. IA Divekick has a launch with very poor gravity so combos into like 17% more damage.

coolwhip

Noob
What are tempest Lao's advantages over GM Sub-Zero? Looks like a pretty even match-up. The talking point about teleport being some kind of problem in this match-up for Sub is something I never bought. This isn't MK9, Lao shouldn't be able to do raw teleports with any consistency in any match-up. Teleports should only be used off of jump ins or if you have orbiting hat up to back you up.