What's new

Noob Saibot Tournament Variation Combo Thread

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
One thing I want to promote for all you fellow shadow throwers, don't try to optimize your combos by adding in d1's, 1's, d3's, shadow tackles, etc. With breakaway being how it is in mk11 at the moment trying to push a little bit extra damage isn't worth it. Mk11 is a different beast than Mk9 or Mk X.

We want good damage, but it needs to be consistent and safe. We need to use strings that when it gets breakawayed we're not left standing there to eat an incoming combo. B1, 1+3 is a great move as it restands and leads into a teleslam which can not be break awayed.

Unfortunately it is hard to avoid putting the opponent in the air as all of Noob's combos juggle. Hopefully NRS will take people's criticisms about breakaway being used too much during matches. People have been discussing the issues with it since the Beta.

Last night when I was playing at a friends house, my friends would breakaway whenever I would catch them in a combo that I would extend with tele-slam and my corner carry would be cut short. It would happen an average of 2 times during a round. Good thing f2,2 receivers relatively quickly.

If y'all disagree please let me know. We all need to do out best to make this character the best he can be.
About half the time I manage to punish or open up someone with an enhance teleslam, my f3 to extend gets breakawayed.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
About half the time I manage to punish or open up someone with an enhance teleslam, my f3 to extend gets breakawayed.
Can one breakaway when they're about to get hit with a projectile in a combo while airborne? If not, then does upknee have projectile properties? In MK9 shadow upknee was considered a projectile, so to avoid breakers you could 2,1,2/2,1xx ex upknee ×3, upknee x3 for a large amount of unbreakable damage. If shadow upknee counts as a projectile in MK 11 then we could incorporate upknee and b1, 1+3 xx teleslam in all of our combos.

KyleKasady

Hellspawn
Can one breakaway when they're about to get hit with a projectile in a combo while airborne? If not, then does upknee have projectile properties? In MK9 shadow upknee was considered a projectile, so to avoid breakers you could 2,1,2/2,1xx ex upknee ×3, upknee x3 for a large amount of unbreakable damage. If shadow upknee counts as a projectile in MK 11 then we could incorporate upknee and b1, 1+3 xx teleslam in all of our combos.
Breakaway system here is not tied with attack types, it is a matter of whether opponent is in air state falling down or stands on the ground. You can breakaway anytime when you're launched in the air (even at small height), but you can't breakaway if you're comboed on the ground. A good example from Scorpion, you can do a combo with a high damage but it's launching one, so an opponent can breakaway, but the other combo is less damage, you combo on the ground using his spear (it scales hard). But regarding Noob, they will be always able to breakaway after amp teleslam.

Zer0_h0ur

Breakaway system here is not tied with attack types, it is a matter of whether opponent is in air state falling down or stands on the ground. You can breakaway anytime when you're launched in the air (even at small height), but you can't breakaway if you're comboed on the ground. A good example from Scorpion, you can do a combo with a high damage but it's launching one, so an opponent can breakaway, but the other combo is less damage, you combo on the ground using his spear (it scales hard). But regarding Noob, they will be always able to breakaway after amp teleslam.
Yeah people are breaking my tele slam very regularly now already. Yuck

Hitoshura

Head Cage
That's a shame. This right here will define the meta of MK11. Characters who have grounded combos and/or characters who don't combo as much, but have incredible mixup potential will be more viable than characters who are susceptible to breakaway shenanigans due to air juggles. Unless they change it where breakaways can only be used once per match, similar to Krushing Blow, then Noob and other characters that air juggle will be less favorable.

Zer0_h0ur

That's a shame. This right here will define the meta of MK11. Characters who have grounded combos and/or characters who don't combo as much, but have incredible mixup potential will be more viable than characters who are susceptible to breakaway shenanigans due to air juggles. Unless they change it where breakaways can only be used once per match, similar to Krushing Blow, then Noob and other characters that air juggle will be less favorable.
Had some good sets with a Geras and Frost. Got my ass handed to me, but I def found the timing on breakaway on their combos to be difficult. Airtele for me otoh was pretty easy for them percentage wise

Maybe somebody post it ? Universal combo is:

F3, B11+3 ex teleport, B11+3 teleport
B11+3 ex teleport, f221 db4
B11+3 ex teleport B11+3 teleport (you can also leave your opponent after B11+3 and use throw. That's nice setup)

corner:

F221 db4, d1, B11+3 ex teleport, 113 ex bf2
212, d1, d1, B11+3 ex teleport, B11+3 teleport

Dante

Noob
So far max dmg for corner

u2, 212, f3, f3, f3, d2, b11+3 tele - no bars 34%
u2, 113 ex tele, dash 4 upkick, d2, b11+3 tele - 1bar 41%
2 bars combos are shit in corner ;/

u4, 4 upkick, d2, b11+1 tele/ex tele b11+3 tele

Zer0_h0ur

I did practice mode to learn combos and played like 40 games with Noob yesterday and switched back to Jade whom I used in beta and racked up more wins with her in 10 rounds than I did with Noob in 40 :eek:
They seem to read my Noob so damn easily lol

Hey guys don't throw seeing double out just yet, slide is actually pretty good midscreen. I like using b3 slide and f22 slide to poke people at mid-range and they both combo on hit. You're sacrificing a bit of combo damage overall but it really helps out in neutral. Having the air teleport helps him counter-zone too. Still not really sure what to do with ghost ball but maybe as a mix-up with slide after b3 or f22?

Also for both vars, you can use b11+3 in neutral by spacing so the first hit whiffs and the second doesn't. If the second one gets blocked you're still safe, and if it hits you can confirm into tele.

Also d3 seems to be the low poke of choice, does anyone have any reason to use d1 or d4 over it?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Hey guys don't throw seeing double out just yet, slide is actually pretty good midscreen. I like using b3 slide and f22 slide to poke people at mid-range and they both combo on hit. You're sacrificing a bit of combo damage overall but it really helps out in neutral. Having the air teleport helps him counter-zone too. Still not really sure what to do with ghost ball but maybe as a mix-up with slide after b3 or f22?

Also for both vars, you can use b11+3 in neutral by spacing so the first hit whiffs and the second doesn't. If the second one gets blocked you're still safe, and if it hits you can confirm into tele.

Also d3 seems to be the low poke of choice, does anyone have any reason to use d1 or d4 over it?
I appreciate the enthusiasm and the attempt to search for a ray a light in Noob's first variation, but with all do respect the variation is a complete waste of time.

Seeing Double sacrifices all the damage he would have otherwise. It has no way to extend combos and carry the opponent into the corner. Any smart player will block low against Noob because he has no overheads except the 2 in his 1,1,2 string; however, 1,1 is high. It also give Noob a neutered slide since it vanishes midscreen and is still punishable on block, so using that close is too risky. Lastly, it gimps his overall gameplay philosophy which is to put your opponent in the corner and bully them for their milk money.

Variation one is reminiscent of his MK9 moveset. He was trash in that game and seeing double is trash in this game.

I'm having a REALLY hard time continuing combos after AMP Tele-slam. I either whiff my next button or nothing comes out at all. Turned off Release Check which helped a bunch with my combos in general, but I can't get the juggle timings right to save my damn life.

I'm having a REALLY hard time continuing combos after AMP Tele-slam. I either whiff my next button or nothing comes out at all. Turned off Release Check which helped a bunch with my combos in general, but I can't get the juggle timings right to save my damn life.
X2

Last edited:

So on the one hand I think this variation is getting slept on a little. It's not the "Rush them down and corner mixup" style that's for sure, but the slide and air teleport add some interesting mid screen zoning options. It's basically his "footsies" style where you're going to want to spend most of your time midscreen screwing with them.

Further people seem to be forgetting that everyone has access to hop kick/punch overheads, which do seem to be decently legit tools, especially for someone like noob.

That said...block ball is just...bad. Like "oh they meant for this to be a throwback optional move but didn't finish testing the game and now it's in a main moveset" bad.

First i figured I'd look for early combo drop setups ala SF3 ryu, and the answer is pretty much "nope". Shits stupid slow to startup and you're basically asking to be roll punished by anyone paying attention. Ther MIGHT be setups where you could catch a back roll or a quickrise/block...or maybe interrupt a wakeup...but i'm not confident.

Then i'd double check there wasn't some corner launch combo situation where you could combo into it. As far as I can tell that's a big no.

Ok...but on the upside this is a game with a lot of block strings and MK has always had those stagger animations. MAYBE there's some hope there. I found a few promising things off of some of his more advantaged moves that leave your opponent standing, but it's still a really big gamble given how telegraphed the startup is. It's a little helped since your shadow will likely be covering your body but not ideal.

What fucking kills it though is WHY. On HIT its -6, does "ok" damage, and of course gives them only one bar of each meter for a moment, and i fucking mean a moment. Worse the moment it's over they get everything back, so WHY go through all this effort to land it? It might as well not neuter their bars for all the effect it will have. I literally cannot think of a situation where you hit with this, and then follow up, and then actually have the fact that they're on one bar matter.

Hell i suspect with how fast it recovers, if you DID somehow mix them up into a launch combo at -6, they might still get their bar back and fallout before the combo is done. It just feels fucking awful for how insanely hindered it is.

Everything about it screams "well it'll be a fun callback, but make sure it doesn't break the game, gimp the hell out of it" which is just insulting to include in the supposed curated tournament variations. I hope to hell i'm missing something, but it's got to be the dumbest move in the game right now.

Found some better 1 bar combos that are both easier to do and do more damage! Check them out here:

1 meter:
1,1,3,DU - Amplify - J2 - F2,2,1,2 :: 363.08 damage / 378.62 damage with J2 start (more corner carry, less damage)
1,1,3,DU - Amplify - J2 - B1,1+3,DU :: 371.84 damage / 386.06 damage with J2 start (more damage, less corner carry)

The best part is the one for 363.08 damage is so much easier than the one I listed before, I've been nailing it online all day.

Matix218

Get over here!
113xxduMB, ff(1)13, b11+3xxbf1 is 386 and leaves him +5 for a b2 check for an additional 10.5 on block. I think this is max damage for a bar at moderate difficulty.
So after the mb teleport you immediately dash then do the 113 string but the first 1 whiffs? I cant try it at the moment but just want to be sure i understand your description for later.

Matix218

Get over here!
Question regarding his b3 1+3 KB. The move list says it activates when the opponent is stand blocking. I dont really understand what they mean by this? If they stand block wont the attack just get blocked? It is not like the 1+3 is unblockable. Can someone clarify what they mean by this?