What's new

Noob Saibot General Discussion Thread

Hitoshura

Head Cage
This thread is dedicated to discussing all things Noob Saibot that are not predicated to other threads. There will be separate threads for combo discussion, matchup discussion and video discussion. I may also be creating a guide for playing Noob Saibot in the future for the community which will also be in a separate thread. Please keep discussions about Noob on topic and if they're is information you wish to share that can go in the other threads then post them there and not here.

Last edited:

Hitoshura

Head Cage
This thread is dedicated to discussing Noob Saibot's Matchup numbers with the community. Matchup numbers are determined by having two players of equal and competent skill levels compete against one another in a set of 10 matches. Their insight on the character they play and the game must be fleshed out. The player who plays a specific character must know all, if not most, of their characters tools. Matchup numbers will take time to create, so I will not have the original posts numbers added until maybe a month has passed, minus the mirror match with is always a 5-5, so theory discussion is encouraged to not only share insight on what the matchup could potentially be, but to look out for certain tools other characters may posses; however, the matchup numbers on this original post will not change until some of these theories are put to the test. I ask for patience because there will be Noob mains who will disagree on ideas being thrown out, so please be civil with other Noob mains.

Matchup numbers will consistently change based on new tools we find with Noob or within the game. The goal is to have a finalized matchup chart when the game is fully fleshed out which could take close to a year.

Noob Saibot's Matchup Numbers:

Baraka:
Cassie Cage:
Cetrion:
D'Vorah:
Erron Black:
Geras:
Jacqui Briggs:
Jade:
Jax Briggs:
Johnny Cage:
Kabal:
Kano:
Kitana:
Kotal Khan:
Kollector:
Kung Lao:
Liu Kang:
Noob Saibot: 5-5
Raiden:
Scorpion:
Shang Tsung:
Skarlet:
Sonya Blade:
Sub-Zero:

babalook

Noob
b3 tip range into spirit ball seems kind of good, not many characters have a way of punishing you for it, and if they do...I guess you could use shadow tackle or teleport (so many characters in this game feel extremely shallow).

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
b3 tip range into spirit ball seems kind of good, not many characters have a way of punishing you for it, and if they do...I guess you could use shadow tackle or teleport (so many characters in this game feel extremely shallow).
Agreed lol. Everyone in every thread has been unsatisfied so far

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I spent some time playing Noob with a few friends in person today and to be honest, Noob isn't as bad as we're making him out to be.

Spirit ball is fast enough to throw out and get consistent chip. If they duck spirit ball, then it takes them the length of a tool album to get in on you.

B1, 1+3 is a great spacing tool that can net you close to 40% with one bar.

B3, 1+3 is another good spacing tool to get your opponent in the corner.

He has great ways to punish the opponent. A 7 string starter (1,1,3), but it's downside is it's short reach. One of Jax's strings that ends in an overhead is -7, but pushes him back far enough where 1,1,3 just misses. You'd have to punish with a de, or hope if you throw out f2 that he's mashing. He has an 8 string start (2,1,2), but it's downside is its scaling. His last punisher is f2,2,1,2 and that starts up at 9 frames and advances you forward. It's only downside is that you can't do much with it midscreen except end in an upknee. I use it as a combo ender after an amplified tele-slam. These seem like a fair trade off to be honest.

He has great damage when you spend meter. I noticed since I spend my time spacing and throwing out spirit balls when I can, so I usually have meter to spend.

He has great pokes. All his down pokes are fast and his d4 is deceiving.

Overall, Noob is a spacing character who will carry you to the corner and proceed to bull you. He is no longer the zoner we once knew.

I'd like to see shadow tackle be a bit faster and for upknee to have a better hitbox. There were points where upknee would glide though the top of someone's face of chest and it would not connect.

Outside of that, I feel his biggest issue is getting certain characters off of him. His 1,1,3 although fast has small reach. His b1 is slow enough to get stuffed up close. Outside of universal wakeups, the only tools you have to get out the corner are neutral jump into sickle teleport or d3, d2. D2 on block pushes the opponent off of you be a considerable amount. I've also been tick throwing a lot and seeing if I can get away with it. Seeks to work.

I like Noob. He's good. Not great, but good. Let's ride this train out, boy, and see where he takes us.

Last edited:

ValeDJ

Noob
Thanks for the finds folks. I know it's early days, but I do find people are getting caught out with his f22 on block when I whiff the f2, then they start pushing buttons, but get caught out with the spacing of the shadow. Just leaves them open for a follow up, or a bit more spacing. I'm sure people will catch on though!

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I'll admit only been playing mkx since January and mk11 in beta...

But Noob's lack of overhead openers have opponents just squattin and blocking everything I roll out. Other characters have this issue, is this just the new game? Have to get fancy with using jump-ins?
Also i echo what most said previously, he seems so much damn fun with a non-tournament loadout. Tournament preset 1 is laughably horrible. Using him and Jade in such a hamstrung fashion with the tournament loadout has me already considering just ignoring tournament mode altogether and having fun playing the game the way it was designed, with custom loadouts.

TheGlow

Retired Noob
Not sure if my opinion has weight as I suck nowadays, but I dont know how to feel about Noob. As I play more it looks like 3 of his 4 combos start high. Im eating uppercuts all over. B1, 1+3 is only one thats mid. And my luck he often stands like an idiot and doesnt do the 1+3 , but has no problem doing the teleport afterwards.
Also it looks like only overhead is the 1,1,3, which opened with a high they most likely ducked and uppercut me with.
Tossing the shadow disappears on hit/trade. It seems I zone with the meh spirit ball and hope they jump so I shadow kick up, or they fireball back and I teleport.
Other people seem to have nice mids to low, mid to OH. I just dunno yet.
Day 1 I did ok, but now I'm eating spam from Scorpion like I didnt know the F2,4,2 i think is 2 lows in a row. Then tosses in OH's. Or Skarlet mid, low. then an OH, then a throw.
And Petty question, whats with his throw brutality? Its a "back throw" which is odd as Im used to no direction input throws going forward from sf, so you throw and hold back but surprise, the throw makes you switch sides so youre now holding forward. I have erractic success with hitting throw, holding the current back and once they switch sides, change direction to the new back and sometimes i get it, sometimes I dont.

Last edited:

ValeDJ

Noob
Concur with everything here. I'm really struggling to connect the 1+3 after his b1, especially after a jump in. Even moreso from confirming Ermac's float cancel after his b3 and f4 on MKX online (I'm just getting old, or my controller is getting abused). I think with his lack of overheads, it's going to be extremely difficult, unless they make his shadow tackle an overhead just like MK9, would give noob players a bit more potential to condition the opponent.

I use Noob as setup character. F2212 is wonderful tool. After first F2 (if my opponent will block it and not duck) I use throw. MKX showed me how throws can be annoying. So I use throw, throw, throw and then my opponent will relase block and I can get full combo after F221.

B11+3 is very good moves. Sometimes B1 wiffs and second move hits. Noob in second variation has combo with good damage.

B31+3 is very unsafe. I don't use it much often. Noob doesn't have OH (ok he has only weak 112).

B2 is very nice normal. Good range.
F4 is the same as B2.

You can also cancel d3 or d4 info bf2. Sometimes that can suprise your opponent when he tries to counterpoke.

Like in MK9 Noob can take biggest damage in the corner.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Apparently, Uncle JBeezY labbed a lil bit of King Dingaling, Noob BBC Saibot, last night and noted some things.

He has NO OVERHEAD NORMALS!! Looking through his movelist I only saw 1 overhead string 112. Yeah....me no likey

But with his 2nd variation, I think he shines more. Im gonna have more time with him but a combo I found over 300 damage is...

212~UD Amp, dash B1+throw, shadow tackle.

I definitely want to put more work into him and ill document my findings! Righteous :)

xKMMx

Banned
Been having a really hard time catching anyone off guard with this character. As all have been saying his best strings for combo starting are highs and his only real low starter is the b3(1+3) which is super unsafe but does catch some people and I have been able to get good damage with it of death of a KB but since that’s thats only available once per game it’s kind of hard To rely on.

Hopefully NRS will give him some love and change F221 to a mid so Hebrew at least has a decent block string.

Not sure if my opinion has weight as I suck nowadays, but I dont know how to feel about Noob. As I play more it looks like 3 of his 4 combos start high. Im eating uppercuts all over. B1, 1+3 is only one thats mid. And my luck he often stands like an idiot and doesnt do the 1+3 , but has no problem doing the teleport afterwards.
Also it looks like only overhead is the 1,1,3, which opened with a high they most likely ducked and uppercut me with.
Ya, I think this is one of the biggest challenges every Noob player will face. Noob on the offensive is easily susceptible to pokes when 3/4 combos starting high.

The 2nd challenge is if you're fighting someone with a fast charge attack that can punish B1,1+3. So now your only mid starting combo is unsafe as well.

Even though the range of the B1 is poor, I feel a lot better about matches where I can throw out a B1,1+3, and if it's blocked I'm safe and if it's not I can hit confirm into Amplified Teleport. But fighting someone like Kano/Cage/Sub-Zero that can punish it is like...at that point all I'm counting on is F4 and B2 knockbacks.

SarahFCM

Noob
I didn't want to make it's own thread for this but Noob can bait out Flawless Block Reversals while in the corner. I shall see if there are other applications of this and if so what can come from it. Click here

LockM

Noob
Noob his F4 is a 2 hitting attack that goes low,high and -7 oB. However the high never whiffs on crouchers(after blocking first attack it still hits crouchers) and it also isn't punishable by 7f attacks. What is going on here? Does it "jail" or something, and does it take 1f extra to get out of block in this game?

Edit:
So it actually has to do with the MK11 "jailing" system, not sure if it was implemented intentionally or not by NRS though.
I read a post by Eddy Wang in the Skarlet subforum on the jailing system and it basically comes down to this. When you use an attack on hit(or block), if the following attack is equal or faster than the frameadvantage on hit)or block), then it cannot be crouched.

So Noob is able to perform these strings:

• d1(hit), 212 (1f link)
  • d4(hit), f2212(10f link)
  • d+4(hit), 212(11f link corner only, pointblank)
From this you can also discern how tight a "link" it is. There is no leniency whatsoever with doing d1, 212, you also have to be pointblank AND you also have to visually confirm the d1 if it's actually hitting. Hitconfirming the d4 on the other hand isn't hard and you have a big window for timing the f2.

If you happen to do 11 and the 1st hit was crouched the 2nd hit connected, you can do a uncrouchable f2 after, just an example.

So this is ofcourse also applicable to jump attacks. The lower you hit a jump attack the more frameadvantage you have(obvious). So you can jump in with j2 and just start with the 11 or 21 string or even f22.

Not sure if this is new to others, but it is to me, just writing down some thoughts.

Last edited: