What's new

No Injustice/MvC3 tourney at NLBC due to low entrants - first time ever

Haha, at least you know the area I'm talking about. But yeah, I'm starting to see what you mean, however. The GameStops in my areas get like 500+ pre-orders for certain shit, the people pick up their games for the midnight launch and *poof*, they're never to be seen again. WHAT. THE. HELL.

probably the same case here in port saint lucie, lol. only ever heard of one local gamestop/play-n-trade tournament held for injustice, and that was a midnight release tourney. after that it's been dead for fgs.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So to interrupt the speculation with some truth -- Injustice has:

-Over 100 players at typical big majors
-Strong local scenes in NJ at the Break, Chicago at GGA, Atlanta with AK, SoCal with WNF. And other smaller scenes that meet every week.

In this case, it just happens that almost most of the NY-area players, save Rico Chris and Grr, don't go to the weekly locals. If they went, you'd have:
CD Jr.
Reo
Maxter
Crazy Dominican
KT Smiff?
7L
Rico
rev0lver
Fab
Jailhouse
etc.

playing each other each week, and that seems more than solid enough to sustain a local. But as it is, they are playing mostly at home, and then at regional stuff every few weeks.

Even the week that I added a pot bonus, not many more players showed up than usual.

So it doesn't have much to do with IGAU fading out; it's more about the specific situation with players in NY and their personal circumstances.
Exactly this thread seems more about NLBC is NOT a desired location to attend

Sabin

Elder God
Exactly this thread seems more about NLBC is NOT a desired location to attend

Just to put it in perspective Super is much more inconvenient to get to than Next Level - in the sense that it costs more to get there, out of the way, have to pay gas to get there so it's expensive (they don't have the godlike NYC train system like we do where people can travel round trip anywhere in NYC for $5) But people still support since it's all the socal area has.

But absolutely as a whole, I don't want to let it go down like this - we had a great thing going even with 10-12 entrants every week

Hitbox_Tyrant

"R.T.S.D" -Alex Valle
This sucks, and for the record I love mk9 and injustice but lbfsh mk9 is broken as shit. Its not a fighting game bcuz p1 advantage+ meter drain + input bug ETC.. Injustice is a different game in general. Different walk speeds, different game play all around. It has its ups and downs but so does every FG. If you don't like it then don't play it but at least show up and rep your scene. I love NY, don't let it die, not like this :(

Fun Fact: walk speeds are generally the same as MK9
Combine this with being unable to cancel dashes and the larger levels+zoomed out screens...you get the impression that this game is slow.

So yeah...its all about like...your opinion man.
I think that is the problem. Many of these players play other games that are "faster" overall. For MK players it may feel the same but for players of other games, it feels slower. I have since day one have said "the walk speed is bad in the game."

To a casual player, it may be a big turn off. Maybe this trend of low numbers at NL is more due to the location and the players who attened before have other things now in their personal life that take priority. Also another game just came out called GTV that has everyone hooked. Maybe that is another reason.

As a casual player of INJ, IMHO, it has the worst walk speed of all the other fighters available.

ehhh injustice is awesome. just bc new york doesn't care anymore doesn't mean the game is dead. it just means that one of two weekly streams will not have much exposure for the game. there are incredible scenes out there that are thriving. i think a lot of the top players there just find it difficult to travel to this location.

sorry new york inj scene... now feel my pain for the lack of an AE scene for 4 years.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
all jokes aside .... The walk speed and movement in Injustice is the worst ive ever felt in a figthing game.. My dreams were shattered thinking 1.06 would address it.. I get that MK9 the walk speed is slow as well but the dash/block option helped A LOT. In a "hold back to block" game forward and backward movement needs to be very very fluid.

With that said.. Ill still play it with friends or what not.. and I <3 NRS

CD jr

Noob
Fun Fact: walk speeds are generally the same as MK9
Combine this with being unable to cancel dashes and the larger levels+zoomed out screens...you get the impression that this game is slow.

So yeah...its all about like...your opinion man.
Lol you can dash and block though which makes up for the slow walk speed don't even go there. It's easier to get around zoning in mk fact, it's easier to whiff punish in mk fact, it's easier to corner your opponent in mk fact. Lol 80% of this community just don't get it.

The Injustice scene in NYC is alive and well--they just don't go to Nxt Level. We play online, at home, and small local sessions. The NYC is too solid and it serves as a huge barrier-to-entry for up and coming players.

If Next Level did a monthly tournament I'm betting the turnout would be way better. No one wants to pay $10 to Chris G and Rico Suave every week. It gets old.

DarkPage

Noob
Lol you can dash and block though which makes up for the slow walk speed don't even go there. It's easier to get around zoning in mk fact, it's easier to whiff punish in mk fact, it's easier to corner your opponent in mk fact. Lol 80% of this community just don't get it.
hmm didnt wanna say it but i was compelled to, saying something is "easier" is opinion. therfore not fact, therefore revert to post bout thats your opinion.

Sabin

Elder God
ehhh injustice is awesome. just bc new york doesn't care anymore doesn't mean the game is dead. it just means that one of two weekly streams will not have much exposure for the game. there are incredible scenes out there that are thriving. i think a lot of the top players there just find it difficult to travel to this location.

sorry new york inj scene... now feel my pain for the lack of an AE scene for 4 years.

NLBC and WNF are bellweathers for the FGC in general
(it's always been like this with NY scenes and Cali usually paving the way for the rest of the nation - not always, but in most circumstances this is true)

Sabin

Elder God
The Injustice scene in NYC is alive and well--they just don't go to Nxt Level. We play online, at home, and small local sessions. The NYC is too solid and it serves as a huge barrier-to-entry for up and coming players.

If Next Level did a monthly tournament I'm betting the turnout would be way better. No one wants to pay $10 to Chris G and Rico Suave every week. It gets old.

Rico touched on this as well - about how he's found a bunch of local NYC players on Xbox Live (that are actually pretty good) and none of them are interested in showing up to tournaments. :(

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
(it's always been like this with NY scenes and Cali usually paving the way for the rest of the nation - not always, but in most circumstances this is true)
I feel like the NY scene is kind of fragmented right now, while the scenes in other areas are more about everyone coming together for the greater good and to have a good time.

Look at the AK weekly and the Break weekly, or the GGA weekly -- they're like parties. Seems like people would come even if they were playing Monopoly. It reminds me of what my Grandparents used to do with card games and bingo with their friends back in the day.

Doesn't change the fact that there are a ton of great players in NY; but it's just a different 'style' of scene.

Pig Of The Hut

Word of the day = bellwether

I dig

Pig Of The Hut

Rico touched on this as well - about how he's found a bunch of local NYC players on Xbox Live (that are actually pretty good) and none of them are interested in showing up to tournaments. :(
MKF30

You threw the pitch, I just hit a homer

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Nlbc is not really practical for me because it's mid work week and I'm in the center of Long Island. Sucks that vsm is dead because it was a lot easier to get to. If nlbc was on the weekend I could go.
Is VSM really dead? I though the slaughterhouse thing was still getting good numbers, no?

I feel like the NY scene is kind of fragmented right now, while the scenes in other areas are more about everyone coming together for the greater good and to have a good time.

Look at the AK weekly and the Break weekly, or the GGA weekly -- they're like parties. Seems like people would come even if they were playing Monopoly. It reminds me of what my Grandparents used to do with card games and bingo with their friends back in the day.

Doesn't change the fact that there are a ton of great players in NY; but it's just a different 'style' of scene.
"Party" gaming is definitely the way to go. Mashfest in NYC gets more attendants than Next Level now. Why? Because it's a gaming/drinking session with occasional $5 or $6 tournaments. It's at a bar with very few "pros" and each round you win nets you a shot of liquor. It's 21+ and they have 2 for 1 beer specials during the gaming session. They play a zillion games and if you wanna get some Injustice casuals in, all you gotta do is ask someone to put it on a setup. It's that easy.

Next Level is just so serious for some ppl. Everyone there is a pro and sponsored and a part of some crappy clique. Sure it's fun occasionally, but not EVERY week.

"Party" gaming is definitely the way to go. Mashfest in NYC gets more attendants than Next Level now. Why? Because it's a $5 or $6 tournament at a bar with very few "pros" and each round you win nets you a shot of liquor. It's 21+ and they have 2 for 1 beer specials during the gaming session. They play a zillion games and if you wanna get some Injustice casuals in, all you gotta do is ask someone to put it on a setup. It's that easy.

Next Level is just so serious for some ppl. Everyone there is a pro and sponsored and a part of some crappy clique. Sure it's fun occasionally, but not EVERY week.
Also the location is much better, but im sure the cheaper entry fee and shots help

Sabin

Elder God

NY scene has always been about survival of the fittest/trial by fire kind of thing. Meaning it's all business lol.