What's new

Tech Nightwing's Multi-Option Setup by STB TakeAChance

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Any Nightwing players looking for some tech to improve their game plan?

Look up this interesting tech video by STB TakeAChance and be ready to visit Training Mode afterwards. He calls this setup "Surrender to Dick" and it's appropriately named given what his topic covers.

The rest of this post will be italicized to reflect that it was made by Chance himself. Please read on.

The following video shows and explains the setup. It cannot be techrolled, and most characters cannot do anything including wakeup. This will work on ALL characters except for the big body characters (Bane, Lex, Doomsday, Grundy etc).

The notation for the setup is: 1F1~Ground Pound (meter burn) J3 1D3 = 32%. Follow this up immediate with a flying crossup grayson. If it hits, you just did a 45% bnb.

If it doesn't hit, you are safe and at perfect position to pressure with 1f1 and 2.

This setup CANNOT be:

Tech rolled
Neutral Ducked
Back to Blocked
Down Back to block

The only thing you can reliably do in this setup if you are the opponent is hold down...which will BLOCK the crossup, leaving you in wonderful position.

Normally, neutral crouching the flying grayson allows you to full combo punish it. In this setup, it's impossible. Wakeups in this game actually stand before they crouch. I in theory believe that is why it is so hard to wakeup. It's like an input bug for wakeups.

Also, if you go into practice and test this against the ai, they can wakeup. The ai invincibility on wakeups far surpass the humans. That was confirmed weeks ago by Check. Test this against a human opponent, or record the setup and try to wakeup yourself like I did in the videos.

Once again, I hope everyone uses this as motivation to go to the lab and learn your character. So much dirt has yet to be found in this game and it is amazingly fun to find it, test it and realize it works.

Here is the video:

MortySeinfeld
GuamoKun
Pig Of The Hut
REO
Tom Brady
partyeagle
STB Shujinkydink
STORMS
Chongo
Saitsu

Article edited and promoted by GamerBlake90

Attachments

TimTim

Don't Hate
Gorgeous.
I'll make use of it but I don't know exactly how worth it it is if I can do a 39%.
Does the setup work off of d3 always or only off of that combo because mb gb b3 j2 3 1d3 would be more damaging.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
If the grayson hits, you do 45%

The overhead does work off a d3. However, the important thing is your spacing afterwards. This setup here leaves you in position where the Jump 1/2 or 2 become a factor during the follow up.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
If it hits? He gets 45 percent which is more damage than his regular BNB. (for the whole situation)

over 50 if you started with a jump in.

Lulzlou

Noob
In match ups where the opponent has to keep away from nw its only useful for reversing positions. For me it depends on how far away I'm from each corner.

I usually just drop the combo then do the fg. This set up is more useful though

My bnb does 41% midscreen so I don't want to risk 9% to put them away from the corner.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
In match ups where the opponent has to keep away from nw its only useful for reversing positions. For me it depends on how far away I'm from each corner.

I usually just drop the combo then do the fg. This set up is more useful though

My bnb does 41% midscreen so I don't want to risk 9% to put them away from the corner.

If you are in the corner, there is no real need to use this setup, you have them where you want them. This setup is more or less for midscreen when characters just want to run away and try to keep you out (raven in particular). This setup will punish them for 45 percent if they try to wake up, if they don't they have to block the grayson and that leaves you in perfect position for the 2 or 1f1 again...Also, you can mix it up by going for the american reset by not doing the flying grayson and doing a jump 1 (overhead) into another full combo.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Nice stuff chance. Flying Grayson is minus 3 right? So if I block it as it crosses up, and you're minus three, can't I back dash before you can follow up with pressure?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Nice stuff chance. Flying Grayson is minus 3 right? So if I block it as it crosses up, and you're minus three, can't I back dash before you can follow up with pressure?

Yep, you can.

But if you start doing that. You will get grayson'd again.

It's all mind games, but it's a situation where I get to assess and react.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Excellent. How about a follow up video talking about the risks as well? Like opponents backdashing or MB B3ing?

Most characters wont be able to hit you with their b3's from that distance (there are exceptions of course, like Catwoman :p)

But in this case, you are simply put back to a neutral game in staff stance where you can continue to play your game instead of having to close back in on characters who want you to be full screen. That, and the ability to nullify wakeups make it quite nice for staying in. Of course, if you have a bigger advantage playing full screen, you do the regular bread and butter and start from there.

It's just a safe way to stay in. Normally after you land a staff bnb, opponents can tech roll/ you are almost 3 quarter to full screen away. You then have to risk getting back in again. This is exactly what Sinestro, Raven, and others want you to do...so sometimes doing those bnb's actually hinder you more than help.

There is another variation of this setup that does more damage, but the opponent can tech roll wakeup.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
The thing that I want to stress is that you can replicate this situation with more damage, but often times you lose the ability to mix it up with a jump one or Jump 2 due to being too far away after they land (and before the grayson)

Ideally, I want you to be holding down every time I hit you with this so that I can start getting a free jump in and block string pressure...essentially both options leave me in, it becomes a mixup, and it locks you down.

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
This is just one of the many reasons why Nightwing will still be relevant when all the other characters get their buffs.

I've been trying and trying to recreate the cross up Flying Dick, you - STB TakeAChance are a mad scientist and I applaud you.

Saitsu

Noob
This is good stuff. I'll definitely add it to my growing repetoire. I wish I could show off my Dick for all to see.

And oh...I'm not good enough to get tagged? I see how it is.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
This is good stuff. I'll definitely add it to my growing repetoire. I wish I could show off my Dick for all to see.

And oh...I'm not good enough to get tagged? I see how it is.

Honestly you were one of the first people I thought of, I just forgot how to spell your username and was to lazy to find it. I will update the OP lol

Saitsu

Noob
Alright, got a little more.

You can do this off of Escrima b2~4. Just have to replace the j3 with a j2 but it works.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Alright, got a little more.

You can do this off of Escrima b2~4. Just have to replace the j3 with a j2 but it works.

They should be able to tech roll that and wake up tho.

I tried messing around with escrima mode as well, mostly using a B3 into a string into 4~flying grayson.

The best setup is if you get it off a hard knockdown seeing as there is nothing they can do.

Saitsu

Noob
They should be able to tech roll that and wake up tho.

I tried messing around with escrima mode as well, mostly using a B3 into a string into 4~flying grayson.

The best setup is if you get it off a hard knockdown seeing as there is nothing they can do.

??? 1d3 is Untechable so idk how that's happening.

I don't mean using that as an ender. I meant as a combo STARTER.

So I meant b2~4 xx MB Ground Blast, j2, 1d3. Into Flying Grayson.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
??? 1d3 is Untechable so idk how that's happening.

I don't mean using that as an ender. I meant as a combo STARTER.

So I meant b2~4 xx MB Ground Blast, j2, 1d3. Into Flying Grayson.

Ah ok lol that makes more sense! lol What's the damage on this setup?

Saitsu

Noob
29% pre-FG, so if it lands, 42% overall. So only a couple of percent off our normal bnb.

If you can somehow land a j3 instead of j2 and make the setup work, it's 31% pre-FG so only 1% from the 1f1 starter.

The Escrima f213 starter seems to be our highest damaging shit for this though.