What's new

Match Footage Nightwing Video Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey whatsup everybody, first time I jump in a mortal kombat fighting game, I'm interested in maining nightwing of course, I recorded these videos and for personal reasons I didn't have a chance to share them with everybody, but assuming the game stays the same from when the spooky stream was recorded we can start breaking down some tech from a nightwing player on the stream.

Also the quality is pretty bad, but still viewable :/ sorry I recorded it with my iphone.

some basic combos, ways how to close the gap (with the staff), crossups, etc.

This cyborg didn't know how to play, but regardless who cares lol as long as we see some Nightwing tech

NightwingDayZero

Truth, justice and the American way.
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/392337815

1:24:00 - EGP Guamo (Nightwing) vs. MCZ Richard Nyugen (Black Adam)

2:10:00 - EGP Guamo (Nightwing) vs. Online Tony (Deathstroke)

3:10:00 - EGP Guamo (NIghtwing) vs. EGP Awesomo (Black Adam)

Great matches, great gameplay. I didn't understand how incredibly powerful staff stance really is until watching Guamo play. Definitely downloading this early tech.

Great stuff! Although it is actually about 3:07:50 that the 3rd match starts.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/392337815

1:24:00 - EGP Guamo (Nightwing) vs. MCZ Richard Nyugen (Black Adam)

2:10:00 - EGP Guamo (Nightwing) vs. Online Tony (Deathstroke)

3:10:00 - EGP Guamo (NIghtwing) vs. EGP Awesomo (Black Adam)

Great matches, great gameplay. I didn't understand how incredibly powerful staff stance really is until watching Guamo play. Definitely downloading this early tech.

nualphaJPN

Toriko
I know this a video thread for match vids, but I thought I'd post something funny.

I call it the Calypso combo. Also check out other vids of mine on my youtube, xfataldmg.

I stream injustice, animes, otaku stuff!

www.twitch.tv/fataldmg

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
Yeah, that needs to be moved over to the other thread I guess?

But as for this thread, some Chris G gameplay of Nightwing.
http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/398313731

At 2:05:00, good fast paced Nightwing. No real combos in Escrima cept a MB 43%. Some flashy stuff with Staff to hold onto the match.
Otherwise, Chris G is usually playing Green Arrow.

NightwingDayZero

http://www.twitch.tv/finestko/b/399643940

Phantom17 (Nightwing) vs. BobbySiege (Aquaman) - 0:18:02
Phantom17 (Nightwing) vs. Kurokiba (Cyborg) - 1:06:52
Phantom17 (Nightwing) vs. Mike Murphy (Doomsday) - 1:18:00

I know my execution is seriously lacking I'd be lying if I said I wasn't unnerved playing in my first tournament. Some constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Good stuff, as a new NW player that's pretty helpful.

Couple of questions:
Is that staff spin safe, and does it beat Doomsday's trait?

Also, I hate the Watchtower level lol. There's way too many stupid interactables.

AssassiN

Noob
Good stuff, as a new NW player that's pretty helpful.

Couple of questions:
Is that staff spin safe, and does it beat Doomsday's trait?

Also, I hate the Watchtower level lol. There's way too many stupid interactables.
Staff Spin is safe yes, on MB it's +18.
It kinda does beat his trait, if you can combine it with some D1 mashing. It's good to use when you notice his trait is almost gone.

7r17r1

Noob
http://www.twitch.tv/finestko/b/399643940

Phantom17 (Nightwing) vs. BobbySiege (Aquaman) - 0:18:02
Phantom17 (Nightwing) vs. Kurokiba (Cyborg) - 1:06:52
Phantom17 (Nightwing) vs. Mike Murphy (Doomsday) - 1:18:00

I know my execution is seriously lacking I'd be lying if I said I wasn't unnerved playing in my first tournament. Some constructive criticism would be appreciated.
Confirm your overhead escrima b2 (timing sux, I know :p)
Too much MB wing ding, the move itself is not that bad, but you really overuse it
Too much staff db3, the move is safe but you can't pressure after, you are putting yourself in a disadvantage just because you try to auto confirm a poke... it's not unsafe so it's not that bad, but you overuse it. vs the Aquaman you went for a d1 xx db3 on his wake up like 4 or 5 times, he always blocked it, do something else
When you try to counter doom's day unblockable with a MB B3, don't release it, dash cancel it for a better combo
You end a lot of combo with j3 wing ding, which is the most damage dealing ender but it also set up a keep away strategie since you throw your opponent far from you. But you seems to try to get in again after that ender, you should either switch to staff and apply a keep away strat, or change your ender for a better mix up option
You seem to not know what to do when people keep jumping on you while you are on staff stance, this situation kinda sux. I find that jump back 2 is a good option, or if you did a good read you can dash forward to cross down them and punish the jump recover with staff 1
You can combo after a MB db3 in the corner with d1 1 ect...

NightwingDayZero

Confirm your overhead escrima b2 (timing sux, I know :p)
Too much MB wing ding, the move itself is not that bad, but you really overuse it
Too much staff db3, the move is safe but you can't pressure after, you are putting yourself in a disadvantage just because you try to auto confirm a poke... it's not unsafe so it's not that bad, but you overuse it. vs the Aquaman you went for a d1 xx db3 on his wake up like 4 or 5 times, he always blocked it, do something else
When you try to counter doom's day unblockable with a MB B3, don't release it, dash cancel it for a better combo
You end a lot of combo with j3 wing ding, which is the most damage dealing ender but it also set up a keep away strategie since you throw your opponent far from you. But you seems to try to get in again after that ender, you should either switch to staff and apply a keep away strat, or change your ender for a better mix up option
You seem to not know what to do when people keep jumping on you while you are on staff stance, this situation kinda sux. I find that jump back 2 is a good option, or if you did a good read you can dash forward to cross down them and punish the jump recover with staff 1
You can combo after a MB db3 in the corner with d1 1 ect...
I was trying to b2xx4xxdb3xx4 into cross up. My execution isn't up to competitive level yet. I choked.

Against Aquaman, I noticed he had no idea what to do against it, so I spammed it. Against Doomsdays armor, was trying to slow him down. Against cyborg, was trying to get over fireballs. I'll work more on using it less, but aside from the Aquaman matchup, I tried to use it more as a tool.

Absolutely agree with too much db3. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not using more db2 MB to keep pressure up mid screen. I was mentally off my game.

I'll have to training room doomsday punishes. I'm very entry level in that matchup.

J3 wingding as a combo ender is just part of my bnb. I haven't explored other options. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Yes, I get blown up by jump ins while in staff. I don't even know....

Will have to work on my staff spin corner combos. I really was just abusing the fuck out of the frame trap and even after I told them they had to push block it in casuals, they were still letting me do it.

Thanks for the feedback. It's back to the lab for me. I feel like I could level up quickly with this kind of help.

EDIT: I'm cringing at every dropped combo. More time in the lab.

NightwingDayZero

Famous for his commentary and overall community involvement, Maximillian plays host to a week long of online gameplay as Nightwing.

From what I've seen, he does some very risky stuff, uses very little staff, and makes a lot of guesses that either pay off or bounce hard.

Whether you appreciate his gameplay or not, he does bring some very good topics up to the discussion of Injustice's mechanics.

Saitsu

Noob
I'm trying to contact Sabin to see if I can play a couple of matches against him on his stream for GL matchup and just general Nightwing footage. We'll see.

alrighty NightwingDayZero , im gonna break down some stuff from your vids. just a few quick stuff to work on.

1: start hit confirming b2 into 3 escrima fury or staffspin. you need to start making those overheads hurt.

2: you stance transition back into sticks too much after staffspin, sure its safe, but honestly there were some matches (the cyborg in particular) where the opponent didnt have a strong answer for your staff game. in general i'd say alot of your matches would have gone smoother in staff.

3: your wingdinging too far and too much MB all that tasty meter you coulda used on db2 or db3 . and ignore what the comentator said about you "wasting" meter on db2 MB you were using them well, you just were not fully capitalizing (not getting free flying grayson dmg or not advancing for free)

4: your up close staff game needs work, after a few d1's start using 1f2 and 1d3 more to force them to guess high/low . the two come out at only a frame difference and cannot be fuzzy guarded like 1f1 and 1f2 can.

5: stop doing YOLO escrima fury.

Saitsu

Noob
Nah, 1f1 and 1f2 for the high/low. Only ever use 1d3 if you're too far out for 1f1 to connect fully, or in juggles.

And yeah, NEVER do raw Escrima Furies, unless they're just coming out by mistake.

NightwingDayZero

alrighty NightwingDayZero , im gonna break down some stuff from your vids. just a few quick stuff to work on.

1: start hit confirming b2 into 3 escrima fury or staffspin. you need to start making those overheads hurt.

2: you stance transition back into sticks too much after staffspin, sure its safe, but honestly there were some matches (the cyborg in particular) where the opponent didnt have a strong answer for your staff game. in general i'd say alot of your matches would have gone smoother in staff.

3: your wingdinging too far and too much MB all that tasty meter you coulda used on db2 or db3 . and ignore what the comentator said about you "wasting" meter on db2 MB you were using them well, you just were not fully capitalizing (not getting free flying grayson dmg or not advancing for free)

4: your up close staff game needs work, after a few d1's start using 1f2 and 1d3 more to force them to guess high/low . the two come out at only a frame difference and cannot be fuzzy guarded like 1f1 and 1f2 can.

5: stop doing YOLO escrima fury.
Thank you for watching, thank you for commenting. This is all very much appreciated.

Just some conversation on your feedback.

1. Every time you saw B2xx4 was supposed to be followed by Staff Spin. I went out 2 hours before the tournament and bought the only PS3 arcade stick I could find. I bought the Injustice Battle Edition which has an American stick as opposed to the Japanese version. It really changed the feel of my db df motions. You'll see me screw up wingdings in these matches occasionally. I spent some hard time in the lab over the last few days just practicing my d1xxdb3 b2xxdb3. I know it's really simple stuff, but I cringe watching myself screw up simple execution.

2. I'm going to work on using raw staff spin a bit less in the mid screen game. It's great for chip and meter gain, but I could do more with pressure by using db2 Mb into b3. The stagger they get from blocking both of these will push them further into the corner than just raw staff spin.

3. I abused the shit out of zoning against Aquaman because he had no real answer to it. I think the best way to beat Aquaman is staff zoning, mix in some Wingdings if they get smart about the approach. Any wingding MB I used against Cyborg was purely praying to catch him with a knock down. There was an instance when I actually got him with wingding MB in the corner and instead of dashing in, I accidentally neutral jumped. Unfamiliar with my stick, choking in a clutch. I'll never bother with wingdings against Doomsday again. I know that matchup all too well to allow myself that mistake again.

4. This I can appreciate. I've been working on staff based corner combos and staff execution in general. I've discovered the awesome anti-air power of staff d2 to answer my struggles with jump ins. I'm putting in serious work with staff. It's the best thing I can do for myself in the long run.

5. I don't think I ever used escrima fury on purpose. Never in my gameplan is escrima fury even considered. It's so free to punishes for what?

Overall, I'm unhappy with my placement. I'm hungry. I'm new to the genre, but I feel with some polished execution I could represent the Nightwing community much better.

Saitsu

Noob
smart players fuzzy guard this , there is no high/low mixup , now if you do 1f1 into 4 db3MB (overhead) thats gonna catch some people.
That's only after you force the opponent to stop pressing buttons. Even if there's no mixup, it's not like he needs it. Constant d1 or 1f1 xx MB db2/db3 will be the main source of pressure.

NightwingDayZero

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/401091646

Lots of Nightwing gameplay last night at Wednesday Night Fights.

EGP Solid (Nightwing) vs. Aris (Deathstroke) - 1:56:00
Aris (Deathstroke) vs. EGP WonderChef (Nightwing) - 2:45:00
EGP Solid (Nightwing) vs. UCLA Folux182 (The Flash) - 4:05:00
Xblades (Nightwing) vs. EGP Solid (Catwoman) - 4:11:00
RDK Tyrant (Superman) vs. EGP WonderChef (Nightwing) - 4:19:00
RDK Tyrant (Superman) vs. Xblades (Nightwing) - 4:26:00

Xblades Nightwing looked really polished out there. Very impressive stuff. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

Saitsu

Noob
Commentators for that first match obviously completely understood the NW/Slade matchup.

EGP Solid abuses b2 xx Flip Kick a bit too much. Got to start working in b2~4 xx (MB) Ground Blast/Staff Spin.

And xblades could've won that last round, I think another Ground Blast would've been enough for chip (at least it would've kept him plus) after the MB Ground Blast was blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.