What's new

Breakthrough - Kitana NEW TECH - Wavedashing Backwards with Kitana (MKX's form of the "Korean Backdash")

This Wave Dash it´s from Tekken, when i watched this video it´s just reminds me to Tekken, i play tekken just like Mortal Kombat and doing those dash is so easy.. and its easier in MK, (In tekken you got to cancel the SS by doing back, down, back, up N then back.. all this many times as possible to make the wavedash works.. btw all those gif the only one who shows exactly something about this is the first one :p when Armor King backdashes ^^

Are you serious? I've been using this since day one. Check the archives. haha

NeoRussell
Exactly, this came from the beggining.. is just the nobody use this due to the online interaction.. you must fight different.. but peoples playing face to face just go forward using others methods

REO

Undead
I'm pretty sure no one was doing the advanced wavedashing (unless there's proof). I don't understand why players watch and only look at the first video and think that's it. Yes, that one is the EASY one. But it's also the SLOWER one.

Watch the second video and tell me if you can go into practice mode right now against Kotal Kahn set to walking forward the entire stage, and out speed him moving forward while you go backwards. It takes a LOT of execution and practice to start level 2 wavedashing like that with Kitana. You won't be able to do it consistently unless you devote MANY hours and practice in training mode. It's easily the highest execution requirement for MKX and I've never seen any Kitana player move like that in this game.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
That's pretty neat. I don't play her but I'll try it after work. I'm used to a form of WD and Korean Backdash cancelling (Tekken player and I main Jin so this shouldn't be too hard for me). Good stuff

omooba

fear the moobs
Imma need you to watch your tone when addressing Lord Aizen-sama, mongrel. You see those glasses..shits actually hair-grease. Don't make him snap those glasses.

But I do agree that Mournful...I mean Kitana, is indeed....FLAWLESS.
fight me

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Hmm. I never really tried the block method but you should try it against a Kotal walking forward and see if it's possible to be able to do it as fast as level 2 wavedashing with crouch buffers. In theory, I assume it wouldn't be able to reach the speed of level 2 wavedashing because crouching and letting go can be done in exactly 1 frame where as blocking would probably take an extra frame.
I tried it vs Kotal and was able to keep up with him. I think if my timing was a little better, I could probably outpace him:

Maybe you can time it better but it really seems like blocking only takes 1 frame like crouching.

Sami

Noob
@YOMI REO apologies if this has already been mentioned in the thread (I did read it, honest!) but would a hitbox/keyboard make "level 2 wavedashing" trivially easy to do? Just hold back with one finger and keep tapping down with another. Zero chance of getting a back-dash out of it either.

Haven't tried it yet on the Steam version to see if this actually works or not - just assuming it will based on the input log from your video.

Noob
Ayy I do this all the time in DOA, never knew it worked in MKX :O

Sounds a lot harder to execute though, in DOA you can just slide down back. Does this work for all characters?

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
This is super easy on a hitbox and once you get the rhythm down it becomes easy. Not that I have it perfected, but for the half hour I spent trying it, I was able to out wave Kotal's forward walk.

Sami

Noob
Another thought: are there any characters who's forward walk speed has a quick burst of speed at the start before slowing down (much like Kitana's backwards walk)? If so, this could potentially be used to let them close distances quick without blowing stamina on run...