What's new

Breakthrough - Kitana NEW TECH - Wavedashing Backwards with Kitana (MKX's form of the "Korean Backdash")

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Smash isn't back to block.
Smash is sorta different though in why it's effective, and it's used for different purposes of movement there. If I see someone doing this in MK I'm at least going to shoot them lol.

Hmm well I'd use it to move back a little bit faster but I was using block to do it. If anything you were hitting me because I wasn't reacting and I'm doo doo dong. But this is that on steroids.
Because you're focusing so much on your motions in that so you're not properly able to stop and do something like a d4 or think to block to a motion. I think this is a cool thing but doing it can definitely open you up especially against certain projectiles or advancing attacks.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Smash is sorta different though in why it's effective, and it's used for different purposes of movement there. If I see someone doing this in MK I'm at least going to shoot them lol.

Because you're focusing so much on your motions in that so you're not properly able to stop and do something like a d4 or think to block to a motion. I think this is a cool thing but doing it can definitely open you up especially against certain projectiles or advancing attacks.
I think it's more useful in some characters in some match ups for sure, not everyone has Jacqui's run speed lol

nice find @YOMI REO, Iv been testing some stuff with her D4 into parry cancel, it seems like she pushes back a little and cut most part of the D4 animation, I just havnt had a chance to see what else would push her back, nice to see you pick Kitana.

Reactions: REO

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
@YOMI REO it is very altruistic and benevolent that you freely communicate the fruits of your laboratory research to all of us peons, but when I see more of these threads I keep thinking that you could provide services as an MK laboratory technician for hire. Not even joking, I would hire you as an independent contractor to take my main into the lab for a few hours and come up with something that I have neither the time, patience nor ingenuity to come up with myself!

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Glad to see some top players who are actually willing to share their findings, good stuff @YOMI REO . Shame it's already been looked into a little before but hopefully now that someone more recognised has posted about it we might see it be implemented in tournament :)

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Kotal Kahn walks forward way faster than Goro does. If I were to do the level two method I did in the second video to Goro walking forward, he would be left in Kitana's dust far sooner than the first video, lol. Go try gaining space against Kotal Kahn walking forward in practice mode to see what I mean.

Level two wavedashing for Kitana is probably the highest execution in the game, IMO. I'd be impressed if anyone can get ground away from Kotal Kahn walking forward the entire stage length without many hours of practice.
My point was that you were doing the timing too fast in the second video. That might be the best method, or tapping block, or just tapping back, but the main thing is that you don't just do it as rapidly as possible, there is a sweet spot, and it's actually a slower input then what you are doing. The top video actually looks more like the proper timing and you are definitely moving further away from Goro in that video.

EDIT: Actually, your timing in the second video is really on point. It looks like she's not covering the ground because of the camera moving and Kotal's walk speed. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: REO

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
Been doing this for a couple.of months with Scorpion. This also benefits Lao a lot. It doesn't help Kotal at all, in fact it slows him down. Helps Sub, for sure.

@Aizen Taicho I'm surprised you didn't see it in the Scorpion group.

REO

Undead
Yeah, but I wouldn't say smash is 100% different from MK. It's probably one of the closest fighters out there if you factor some core similarities like there being a block button and running.

And true, of course Jacqui can "just shoot Kitana". That's why I mentioned in the original thread that you wouldn't abuse this in every match up. Smash also has lasers and full screen projectiles.

Glad to see some top players who are actually willing to share their findings, good stuff @YOMI REO . Shame it's already been looked into a little before but hopefully now that someone more recognised has posted about it we might see it be implemented in tournament :)
Well yes, obviously it's been looked into before. Players were doing similar methods in the 3D MKS, and especially in MK9 with Kenshi like @Scoot Magee mentioned. It's just no character has ever had it be so severe before to the degree where the fastest walking character in the game is getting outgunned. Hence the whole point of even making a thread about it, lol. And ESPECIALLY in a game like MKX where good defensive abilities are scarce.

This is a video of me doing the block method. I'm actually hitting block too fast at the start (first 5 seconds or so) and it's slowing her down. It should only take about 4-5 block presses to go from right next to them to full screen.
Hmm. I never really tried the block method but you should try it against a Kotal walking forward and see if it's possible to be able to do it as fast as level 2 wavedashing with crouch buffers. In theory, I assume it wouldn't be able to reach the speed of level 2 wavedashing because crouching and letting go can be done in exactly 1 frame where as blocking would probably take an extra frame.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Hmm. I never really tried the block method but you should try it against a Kotal walking forward and see if it's possible to be able to do it as fast as level 2 wavedashing with crouch buffers. In theory, I assume it wouldn't be able to reach the speed of level 2 wavedashing because crouching and letting go can be done in exactly 1 frame where as blocking would probably take an extra frame.
I tried it briefly and I was able to keep up with him. I'll try it later when i have more time to see if i can actually beat him.