What's new

Breakthrough - Kitana NEW TECH - Wavedashing Backwards with Kitana (MKX's form of the "Korean Backdash")

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick

Hey, everyone. So I'm sure most of us are aware that Kitana has the best back walk speed in the game. This is a very good trait for Kitana to have as it helps her zoning, keep away, footsies, and spacing game. Kitana having the best back walk in the game also slightly amplifies her defense by giving her more room to react while on the retreating defense. Combine this with her good air control, top five anti-air attack in the game, cross-up defense, high damaging punishment, and you have quite a good defensive character.

Now what if I told you that you could move back with Kitana even FASTER than her already amazing back walk speed? There are two levels to this tactic that I will call "level 1 wavedashing" and "level 2 wavedashing" since it's a commonly known term for accelerated movement in other games like Smash. Kitana can accelerate backwards faster by performing small buffers of her back walk and then repeating it again. With enough practice and good timing, you will be moving backwards almost half as fast as her regular back walk speed which is pretty crazy if you think about it.

Below is the video of Kitana performing level one Wavedashing:

The first part of the video is simply showing the speed that Kitana walks back while Goro is walking forward. As you can see Kitana is slightly out walking Goro but Goro stays close within her range when they reach the corner. The second part of the video shows Kitana performing level 1 of the wavedashing backwards tech. You can clearly see Kitana covers more distance backwards, giving her more space to play around with. Level 1 of this tech basically refers to the easier version of wavedashing backwards. The input to perform this strategy is pressing Back, then waiting a split moment, and immediately pressing Back again and repeating the process all over again. It's simple once you get it down and not as difficult to perform as level 2. This will require a bit of practice at first so you get used to the timing and don't accidentally backdash.

Now in this video you will see Kitana perform level two Wavedashing:

Keep in mind this was done against Kotal Kahn who has the FASTEST walking forward speed in the game when he is accelerating. In this video you see Kitana move backwards at such speed that even Kotal Kahn who is walking forward, is losing ground. When mastered, this is quite possibly the fastest movement for any character in MKX for retreating backwards. It requires no stamina and you can break free from this movement at any time to perform an attack or jump. The only downside is it requires a LOT of execution (far more than the level 1 wavedashing) but it is something I can see many of you Kitana loyalists getting down in the future to help your princess assassinate more victims. The input to perform level two wavedashing is Back into hold, buffered into slight Down taps. The best way I have to doing this is by putting the edge of my thumb on the back direction and then using the base of my thumb to buffer the down direction.

Now I know this won't help Kitana in every single match-up as in some of them Kitana is forced to play more of an approach game rather than a retreat game. But for the match-ups where Kitana's main strength is to play keep away and control the pace of the neutral game, I feel this will strongly improve that and make Kitana's defense all the much better. Imagine playing against a Kitana who can perform the level 2 wavedash at will and combine that with instant air fan tosses, unpredictable run ups, and general mindgames. Not only would it probably be insanely hype to watch, but also frustrating to play against in the right hands.

Anyway, who said MKX doesn't have high execution? Hope you guys enjoy or find any of this tech useful.
a better explanation could be

There is Walk Speed
and Starter Walk Speed

some are good at the first, some at the second

it's not high execution, it's character specific

try it with Goro

REO

Undead
I'm well aware other characters can do similar forms of this but no character benefits as much as Kitana from this. That's why it's a big deal for Kitana and it probably won't mean much for most characters. But you never know so it's always good to go lab and find out if it really benefits your character.

I mean, how crazy is it that Kitana can maneuver backwards FASTER than Kotal Kahn can walk forward? If you don't believe how much of an effect this could have, try this with any character in practice mode while Kotal Kahn is set to walk forward the entire length of the stage. I have a feeling some of you guys aren't acknowledging how quickly Kotal Kahn gains ground when he's accelerating forward. No other character in the game has access to this sort of movement when retreating backwards on the ground.

Anyway, glad some of you guys enjoy it. It's actually really fun to practice this in the lab if you have nothing else to do.

this is good in other games because you block with back.
Smash isn't back to block.

In the second video, he is doing it a little too fast and it's slowing her down. The top video shows her gaining more ground on Goro because he's actually doing it slower.
Kotal Kahn walks forward way faster than Goro does. If I were to do the level two method I did in the second video to Goro walking forward, he would be left in Kitana's dust far sooner than the first video, lol. Go try gaining space against Kotal Kahn walking forward in practice mode to see what I mean.

a better explanation could be

There is Walk Speed
and Starter Walk Speed

some are good at the first, some at the second

it's not high execution, it's character specific

try it with Goro
Level two wavedashing for Kitana is probably the highest execution in the game, IMO. I'd be impressed if anyone can get ground away from Kotal Kahn walking forward the entire stage length without many hours of practice.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Now? I've been in there since months back, though i only discussed this with a few ppl before i knew a good portion of ppl knew about this before, never actually decided to implement it to my gameplay though.

@YOMI REO, most of your thoughts and research have been in sync with my own, hopefully you can exploit this stuff to a competitive level, i never managed to get the timing right all the time to actually outspace some characters so eventually i abandoned this project, since almost every character can use it, i wonder how the perspective of the game will be in the end of 2016 if the they prove to be usable and 100% reliable in competitive battles, as for now, its safe to say Kitana can make the most use of it for sure.

Good stuff REO as always.

You can do with neutral walk or with dash block as well, but dash block will cost 1 frame to unblock so its way safer but much slower

This is definitely something she can use, but the question is still how? You don't want to mindlessly walk backwards and corner yourself for nothing, but I can see this be useful more like upclose, maybe like make long range normals whiff and then try to punish?

Reactions: REO

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
this is good in other games because you block with back.

@RM Cossner remember when you would keep doing this and i would run up and hit you? it's because you're not blocking if you're doing this. so that's a problem.
Hmm well I'd use it to move back a little bit faster but I was using block to do it. If anything you were hitting me because I wasn't reacting and I'm doo doo dong. But this is that on steroids.

Reactions: REO

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Man why is it if I ever see a Thread or Post from Reo, Brady and Dizzy I get excited?

They don't post much but when they do they are well written and informative with video evidence too