What's new

Match-up Discussion New Sonya on the rise: Mu chart/ discussion

MITDJT

You have sonya 7-3 against Jade, i think it could be even worse. Sonya can iadk Jade inbetween her 23f2 and b32 strings. Although, Jade can do 23xspecial and will catch sonya trying to jump out, but sonya can ex cartwheel that. Next Sonya can ex carthweel 4f3 and 34. Maybe GamerBlake90 can elaborate more on this and we can play this match sometime soon.
hmm i was on the fence about this one, i'll make the change.

Sao87, uh this is very serious, and i'm quite prepared to prove it too if i must. Sonya is top 3, enough downplaying a character that is this good, she reminds me of when ppl didn't think viper was that good, things changed alot when ppl figured out how good she really was.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
CSZ loses 8-2...?

Who is the last top level CSZ that you played the match up with offline to gather that info? Seems like paper/theory MU numbers on this one specifically.

CSZ loses 8-2...?

Who is the last top level CSZ that you played the match up with offline to gather that info? Seems like paper/theory MU numbers on this one specifically.
LBSH, that mu is TERRIBLE. He's not going to beat her up close, he isn't going to zone her or outfootsie her either, also he doesn't even have armor......... i just listed a few things that will lead to a quick death for him. A divekick could provide and escape for him, but has to be careful with that bcuz those can be njp'd and if sonya blocks a divekick then she either gets pressure started or a full combo punish. She can also interrupt his 3,3,2 string with ex cartwheel. Parry is useless bcuz sonya can just d4 to ms f+1 that all day long. His normals dnt stand a chance against hers either. The day cyber sub gives sonya a problem will be the day that a jade gets top 16 at evo. Your going to have to come with some very convincing info for that mu, bcuz he really has no way to stop her from just doing what she wants.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
No way in hell is CSZ 8-2, I can agree to most of the other stuff, but not CSZ.
Oh and Kabal, Kabal destroys Sonya. Flash parry vs every MS mixup attempt, she has no advancing normals that can evade iaGBs properly, D4 sucks for it. No real answer for the zoning.

He also has option selects against the cartwheels, like alot of characters do.

Lol I swear MITDJT, you and Death have a vendetta against Baraka for some unknown reason. If you guys had your way, EVERYONE of his bad matchups would be a 3-7 lol.
somecubanguy pls haha, i would nvr give him all 7 3s. But LBSH, baraka doesn't want anything to do with sonya. There's no way he is going 4 6 vs her, she beats him up close, has better zoning bcuz her projectile is way faster, d4 ms is going to be a hugh issue, instant divekick will come into play if necessary, baraka has a big hitbox, sonya has better footsies, and she has better armor/ can interrupt some of his strings.

No way in hell is CSZ 8-2, I can agree to most of the other stuff, but not CSZ.
Oh and Kabal, Kabal destroys Sonya. Flash parry vs every MS mixup attempt, she has no advancing normals that can evade iaGBs properly, D4 sucks for it. No real answer for the zoning.

He also has option selects against the cartwheels, like alot of characters do.
she can actually do ms to 2 to get under iagb/ knock him out the air. csz is no match for sonya, 8 2 till someone gives me some really convincing info about the mu. Flash parry requires meter......, better not use that too much and she can option select his wakeups as well, so they are even on that note. She can blow up cross ups with armor cartwheel and during her pressure, he must respect the instant divekick. If she gets a good lead, her projectile can hold its own and kabal won't be able to just sit back the whole time and chip her out. I've seen high lvl sonyas fight high lvl kabals, and the mathches are usually close. For example, detroit vs showtime at raleigh, reo vs riu at columbus, and when showtime squares off with cat in locals and etc.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
LBSH, that mu is TERRIBLE. He's not going to beat her up close, he isn't going to zone her or outfootsie her either, also he doesn't even have armor......... i just listed a few things that will lead to a quick death for him. A divekick could provide and escape for him, but has to be careful with that bcuz those can be njp'd and if sonya blocks a divekick then she either gets pressure started or a full combo punish. She can also interrupt his 3,3,2 string with ex cartwheel. Parry is useless bcuz sonya can just d4 to ms f+1 that all day long. His normals dnt stand a chance against hers either. The day cyber sub gives sonya a problem will be the day that a jade gets top 16 at evo. Your going to have to come with some very convincing info for that mu, bcuz he really has no way to stop her from just doing what she wants.
The only thing I can do is play is out with you when I head to EVO this year.

We could talk about it all day, but that is really the only thing that will solve it, it is a hard match, but 8-2...I don't see it, for it to be 8-2 then the CSZ player has to do absolutely everything wrong that he knows he can't get away with, and any character can have 8-2 MU's when that is theory is applied.

Nothing you said technically is untrue, its all fact with the armouring strings, and blowing through parries with MS F1, but it is all theory and your assuming the CSZ players doesn't know alternatives to his strentghs, as in, you are talking about having meter and blowing through strings, thats not going to happen for the entire game, that is meter dependant, and CSZ players don't have to complete 212+1, nor would they use 332 knowing it can be armoured.

Also, just because CSZ has a parry doesn't mean that he can't crouch block like everyone else, you can do MS f1 all day on the entire cast man, it holds no extra weight agains CSZ, a top CSZ player knows what the parry is for, and what MU's is should be used in and against what, you are assuming that CSZ players for some reason are going to start throwing out a 7% parry after all sonya strings on the off chance thats he might overhead grab, and even if you did parry her, it would lead to nothing, unless you want to make the incredible read and :ex parry it, but why would you. Its not that simple man.

Your also assuming that even though a top CSZ player would know what strings he has that can be punished with meter that he would choose to ignore that and throw them out anyway, we are talking about high level players here, no a cookie cutter, or someone without a grasp of MU's.

Dive kicking also, is not something you absolutely have to do, he has Slide, B22, JIP, and Dive kick as part of a footsie, if you make the wrong read, then he gets one of the opposing attacks, you think a slide is coming, instead a B22 is out, you expect a dive kick, he lands a JIP. Dive kicks are only to blow up projectiles, and :ex short dive kicks for poke happy paranoid wrecks.

Sonya also, can be blown up with a 40% meter less combo for a random dive kick also, it swings both ways.

8-2, sorry man, you make good points and think out what you say, and mean it well, so i can always respect that, but I really think you need to play this one out against a top CSZ player, and to my knowledge there are only two, Me and J360, and to an extent, still REO.

Also, I don't want to ''come at you with info'' I want to know how to you realised this offline against top CSZ players, because what you are saying (8-2) is a bold statement, and you need more than theory to back it up. It has to be played.

Who do you think is closest to being 5-5 with sonya besides freddy, kenshi, and kabal?
closest to 5-5, i'd say sub. His ice clone prevents her from divekicking that much, she can't d4 thru clones so that is a plus, his d4 is faster than hers as well which will help him alot in the footsies game. And he can put her in the corner and force her to use armor to get out. The reason she beats him is she can interrupt 2,1,2 with ex cartwheel, she does way more dmg, has better normals and footsies tools, and she can armor through clones and her projectile is not easy for sub to slide under or get a tradeoff with. And of course she can abuse his hitbox.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
somecubanguy pls haha, i would nvr give him all 7 3s. But LBSH, baraka doesn't want anything to do with sonya. There's no way he is going 4 6 vs her, she beats him up close, has better zoning bcuz her projectile is way faster, d4 ms is going to be a hugh issue, instant divekick will come into play if necessary, baraka has a big hitbox, sonya has better footsies, and she has better armor/ can interrupt some of his strings.
Lol I hear ya man. I dunno I'm honestly stuck on this MU, I've argued with Death about it and played him on PSN quite a few times. I for one used to think it was a definite 3-7, but she has serious issues punishing Blade Charge. The best she can do is hope for a dash D+4~MS, and a lot of times that won't even work. I can easily whiff punish her D+4s with backdash BC. Her Dive Kicks are punishable with F+44 combos, and Blade Spin totally stuffs it (even iADK). I can whiff punish with B31 as well. Onion Rings are still totally punished with armor on reaction, and his strings aren't interruptable (I don't know where you're getting that info from btw), but his traps are. Even still I can always just D3/D1 you and drain your meter after my heavy adv strings. His hitbox isn't really an issue unless you're doing 312 pressure or something (114 still whiffs on me). Yeah I agree she wins on most fronts, and EN Kartwheel is the bane of my existence, but she does not win by a huge margin.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
CSZ is in no way 8-2. I'm pretty sure the only high level Sonya vs high level CSZ in the entire MK9 history wouldve been me vs UFG. And we've played it probably thousands of times.

Pretty sure theres nobody you could have REAL CSZ experience against if thats how you think it goes.

The only thing I can do is play is out with you when I head to EVO this year.

We could talk about it all day, but that is really the only thing that will solve it, it is a hard match, but 8-2...I don't see it, for it to be 8-2 then the CSZ player has to do absolutely everything wrong that he knows he can't get away with, and any character can have 8-2 MU's when that is theory is applied.

Nothing you said technically is untrue, its all fact with the armouring strings, and blowing through parries with MS F1, but it is all theory and your assuming the CSZ players doesn't know alternatives to his strentghs, as in, you are talking about having meter and blowing through strings, thats not going to happen for the entire game, that is meter dependant, and CSZ players don't have to complete 212+1, nor would they use 332 knowing it can be armoured.

Also, just because CSZ has a parry doesn't mean that he can't crouch block like everyone else, you can do MS f1 all day on the entire cast man, it holds no extra weight agains CSZ, a top CSZ player knows what the parry is for, and what MU's is should be used in and against what, you are assuming that CSZ players for some reason are going to start throwing out a 7% parry after all sonya strings on the off chance thats he might overhead grab, and even if you did parry her, it would lead to nothing, unless you want to make the incredible read and :ex parry it, but why would you. Its not that simple man.

Your also assuming that even though a top CSZ player would know what strings he has that can be punished with meter that he would choose to ignore that and throw them out anyway, we are talking about high level players here, no a cookie cutter, or someone without a grasp of MU's.

Dive kicking also, is not something you absolutely have to do, he has Slide, B22, JIP, and Dive kick as part of a footsie, if you make the wrong read, then he gets one of the opposing attacks, you think a slide is coming, instead a B22 is out, you expect a dive kick, he lands a JIP. Dive kicks are only to blow up projectiles, and :ex short dive kicks for poke happy paranoid wrecks.

Sonya also, can be blown up with a 40% meter less combo for a random dive kick also, it swings both ways.

8-2, sorry man, you make good points and think out what you say, and mean it, but I really think you need to play this one out against a top CSZ player, and to my knowledge there are only two, Me and J360, and to an extent, still REO.

Also, I don't want to ''come at you with info'' I want to know how to you realised this offline against top CSZ players, because what you are saying (8-2) is a bold statement, and you need more than theory to back it up. It has to be played.
some interesting points, but even if you dnt complete interruptable strings, the moment you stop is the moment she can start applying her rushdown. She can actually make her divekick unpunishable, but it isn't easy so i get your point with him being able to punish it. Cyber sub is going to be backing up to the corner that whole match bcuz he doesn't want anything to do with her pressure, and sonya controls the corner very well. What is his best way of dealing with her d4? besides getting a divekick on it or slide/ maybe a random jumpin, it doesn't seem that he has that many ways to deal with it. 8 2 isn't really bold when you compare a top 5 char to a char in bottom 5 or just outside it. I'll give you an example, jax wrecks cyber sub in a similar way sonya does. He doesn't have to worry about parries, has better footsies, better zoning, and has armor.

Lol I hear ya man. I dunno I'm honestly stuck on this MU, I've argued with Death about it and played him on PSN quite a few times. I for one used to think it was a definite 3-7, but she has serious issues punishing Blade Charge. The best she can do is hope for a dash D+4~MS, and a lot of times that won't even work. I can easily whiff punish her D+4s with backdash BC. Her Dive Kicks are punishable with F+44 combos, and Blade Spin totally stuffs it (even iADK). I can whiff punish with B31 as well. Onion Rings are still totally punished with armor on reaction, and his strings aren't interruptable (I don't know where you're getting that info from btw), but his traps are. Even still I can always just D3/D1 you and drain your meter after my heavy adv strings. His hitbox isn't really an issue unless you're doing 312 pressure or something (114 still whiffs on me). Yeah I agree she wins on most fronts, and EN Kartwheel is the bane of my existence, but she does not win by a huge margin.
can't she interrupt 22 1+2? i'm pretty sure she can and his b3,1. Also he can't crouch block her standing 1 which is 7 frames and neutral on block, so that will be in issue for him. He has no great way to escape her pressure and she can blow up all of his wakeups. She doesn't even need to punish a blade charge bcuz she can just start applying pressure, building meter and chipping you. He can armor her projectile sure, but waste meter and get caught, then that's a sad story for him. You can whiff punish d4s.... but if i space them correctly then that won't be happening. The same thing applies with liu, you can whiff punish it, but if spaced properly, it won't be happening. Also sonya's making a read on you doing like a poke out of pressure or doing a d4 and etc. will usually be the time where the divekick will come into play, throwing it out of course won't be a good idea.

CSZ is in no way 8-2. I'm pretty sure the only high level Sonya vs high level CSZ in the entire MK9 history wouldve been me vs UFG. And we've played it probably thousands of times.

Pretty sure theres nobody you could have REAL CSZ experience against if thats how you think it goes.
you're opinion on this mu reminds me of when the homie WoundCowboy told me liu lost to shang. I didn't really even have high lvl xp vs shang with liu, but the facts and information i brought up to him were solid and on point and i managed to beat him 3 0 respectively at dallas. Experience is good, but that doesn't always determine things bcuz facts prove the truth as well, i'm not bringing in opinions on what she can exploit when playing cyber sub. I'll give you an example of one reason i have this 8 2, ok so she obviously 7 3s jax, and jax has armor, gp cancels to bait things or he could just do the gp, some option selects for her armor kartwheel on wakeup, and he can punish a whiffed d4 with f4 to etc. Also he has jik air grab to blow up her AAs (unless she does armor cartwheel). So comparing what csz and jax do vs sonya, jax definitely has a better chance.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
can't she interrupt 22 1+2? i'm pretty sure she can and his b3,1. Also he can't crouch block her standing 1 which is 7 frames and neutral on block, so that will be in issue for him. He has no great way to escape her pressure and she can blow up all of his wakeups. She doesn't even need to punish a blade charge bcuz she can just start applying pressure, building meter and chipping you. He can armor her projectile sure, but waste meter and get caught, then that's a sad story for him. You can whiff punish d4s.... but if i space them correctly then that won't be happening. The same thing applies with liu, you can whiff punish it, but if spaced properly, it won't be happening. Also sonya's making a read on you doing like a poke out of pressure or doing a d4 and etc. will usually be the time where the divekick will come into play, throwing it out of course won't be a good idea.
Only if it's at point blank, but even then it opens her up for 21 mixups. With her 114/112, if I crouch block the whole string, the second 1 will always whiff, and I get a free poke out. If I neutral crouch, standing 1 totally whiffs. Spin actually stops a lot of her MS bs, depending on what string she cancelled from.

Only if it's at point blank, but even then it opens her up for 21 mixups. With her 114/112, if I crouch block the whole string, the second 1 will always whiff, and I get a free poke out. If I neutral crouch, standing 1 totally whiffs. Spin actually stops a lot of her MS bs, depending on what string she cancelled from.
he can spin, but at his own risk. Also spin can be low poked, so he can't do that to get out of d4 ms. Of course you can neutral crouch, but that won't be happening when i'm pressuring you bcuz if you let go of block, that is a free combo. His normals aren't fast, and he wants to stay far away from her, bcuz if cage can't stay in on her, aint a damn way baraka can.