What's new

New Hip-Hop Legends (2013)

Ya'll nikkas should watch this before discrediting any mainstream rappers that were good when they were MCs, you can still have integrity in today's "mainstream" but you're semi-forced to change to compete in the market and stay relevant, also labels require certain things.

These people don't lose talent, they just have to cater to what their boss wants.

"Niggas want my old shit buy my old album, I gotta keep it movin" #REALTALK

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
Kendrick, Joey Badass, Earl, The Underachievers, and Yelawolf. As far as actual lyricism goes, you don't top those guys in new school hiphop.

That said, nothing will ever top Wu-Tang in my eyes. Although MF DOOM and Mos Def come close.

x0Kakashi

Kneel before me.
out of the new rappers i think 50 cent is tight dunno about now tho but in 2002 he was alright

DMX aswell

I think Death Grips is one of the most interesting hip hop acts out right now. Although they're VERY experimental and break down hip hop as we know (and even parody its elements or put it in extremes). They're still a lot of fun to listen to and I think their album The Money Store was hands down the best release of last year.
"Punk Weight" from The Money Store:
"Guillotine" from their mixtape Exmilitary:
"Come Up and Get Me" from their recent release No Love Deep Web:

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
One of my favorite newer Rappers is Childish Gambino. He's pretty creative musically and lyrically. Also just fun to listen to. He puts on a great energetic live show. Here is a video from a concert I was. Look how hype it is. Hes non stop energy and the band is really good. Video quality is not the greatest but it's a cool vid anyway.

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
The new legends stand out. I ain't even gotta say it and if I did a lot of ignorant people would come thrash me anyways because they still stuck to their old school. I love old school but come on its a new day and uoeno

x0Kakashi

Kneel before me.
The new legends stand out. I ain't even gotta say it and if I did a lot of ignorant people would come thrash me anyways because they still stuck to their old school. I love old school but come on its a new day and uoeno
I like new school aswell but to a certain degree I cant like shit like lil wayne even tho he used to be decent in 2004 but this shit they consider rap nowadays isnt hiphop thats for sure

187x

Noob
Yes they sell records...

Their music is an absolute disgrace to the genre of rap in terms of skill.

As far as good rappers nowadays:

Atmosphere
Grieves
Evidence
Tech N9ne
Hopsin
Necro
etc.

Are pretty good.

Rap was best in the 90's though imo

Mobb Deep
Nas
Biggie
Wu
AZ
Cormega
Big L
Busta Rhymes
Gang Star
KRS one
etc.

Nicki Minaj and Drake and all these lazy flow new school clowns can't hold a damn candle to any of these artists I just listed.
While they're music image is popular, their flows suck and the beats are garbage.
add Immortal Technique to that list. That guy is the truth and best best lyricist hands down

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Oh, and to answer your question about if I think hip hop is moving in a good direction... hell no. It's getting worse and worse. Nas was right when he said hip hop is dead. :(

i'm not sure if many of you have heard him before, but chris rivers (big pun's son) is pretty sick lyrically and the apple doesn't far from the tree with him. he reminds me of his dad and makes me miss big pun even more. i can see him being considered as legendary as his father in the future but unfortunately with the way hip hop is headed now i'm not sure his music will sell well. i do know that i will buy anything he drops though. also good to see he's much more healthier than big pun was.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
And not a single mention of Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz, Royce, Crooked I or Slaughterhouse as a whole. Macklemore either. SMH.
I was going to mention Slaughterhouse. I've been getting into a lot of Joe Buddens music and think hes solid.

As far as mainstream exposure is concerned and artists with talent I like the following.

Kendrick Lamar
Yelawolf
Slaughter House
Earl Sweatshirt
Tyler, the Creator
Hopsin
Kanye West
Tech N9ne
Machine Gun Kelly

Is J. Cole really worth listening to? For some reason I hear that name and assume hes some lame ass RnB artist.

Wale is ass in my opinion. Hes the kind of rapper that gets more and more boring the more money he gets because his personality is lame. Ay MANG I just threw some dollas in the air and dougie on em.

I don't think I've ever heard Nikki Minaj do anything good since Monster on Kanye Wests album.