What's new

New Hip-Hop Legends (2013)

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
So the new school of Legends in my opinion is Drake, Nicki Minaj, Kendrick Lamar, J-Cole, Wale.
I named these people because they have sold records, and have some hits. Do you feel like Hip-Hop is heading in a good direction? I do.

What are some new artist you like? Do you think they'll big superstars 5 years from now?

SoundsLikePAUSE

Neptune's Beard!!!
Kendrick Lamar is definitely at the top of the list imo. I don't think he'll be huge though. Only to hip hop fans. I doubt his fanbase will ever reach the level of Drake of Nicki. I love Wale, btw.

Still waiting for Kid Cudi to blow up though.

Vagrant

Noob
Yes they sell records...

Their music is an absolute disgrace to the genre of rap in terms of skill.

As far as good rappers nowadays:

Atmosphere
Grieves
Evidence
Tech N9ne
Hopsin
Necro
Immortal Technique
Brotha Lynch
etc.

Are pretty good.

Rap was best in the 90's though imo

Mobb Deep
Nas
Biggie
Wu
AZ
Cormega
Big L
Busta Rhymes
Gang Star
KRS one
etc.

Nicki Minaj and Drake and all these lazy flow new school clowns can't hold a damn candle to any of these artists I just listed.
While they're music image is popular, their flows suck and the beats are garbage.

redeyes

Button Masher
A$ap Rocky, Kendrick , Yelawolf , ces crew, tech n9ne, Ace hood, & yeezy idk if hes older i still love me some yeezy

Czarface

#GiveBarakaAChance
I more inclined to agree with Vagrant. The only new hip-hop artists I really like are Action Bronson and Reks (he's not that new though).

Inspectah Deck
Ghostface Killah
Apathy
Esoteric
Reef the Lost Cauze
Sean Price
MF Doom
Evidence
Gods'illa
Action Bronson
Reks
Termanology
Guru
Big L

Those are my favorite artists.

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
A$AP Mob, And Kendrick are killing it. Drake is falling a little bit IMO. JCole's album was amazing. And Tyler, The Creator would be more known if the radio could play his music.

Crathen

Death is my business
As far as i'm concerned the only "new" hip-hop / rap tunes are this kind :

Hip hop / rap genre really became shit from late 2008

I am surprised more of the hardcore rap fans are not into Kendrick Lamar. He is one of the few, who takes a mainstream approach to songs but always adds in meaningful lyrics and subject matter imo.

Not a big fan of mainstream today also.

CrazyBread

Princess Diana
There are no new hip hop legends and there never will be. Rap and Hip Hop in the 90s paved the way for these so called rappers today. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how much weed you smoke and how many hoes you have in your Lamborghini. Drake, Nicki and who ever the hell this Yeezy character is, are all just a bunch of mainstream entertainers, if their songs don't give you a message and make you see the world differently then they are not worth listening to.

Other than that J. Cole is the only new rapper that is close to delivering that golden speach over a hot beat that I so missed in the old days.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
24 years old from New Orleans I grew up on No Limit / Cash Money / Bounce Music. You guys sound like older northern guys. That's cool we don't relate. I can even argue with some of the people yall were posted because I don't know them or dislike their music. Still Nicki Minajs debut was the biggest first week numbers of Female Rap. Drake just won a GRAMMY for Take Care over Nas, & The Roots... Lupe too. And Tune... haha The Best Rapper Alive bar for bar is from the South. New Orleans at that. I'm out. Thanks for responding.

haketh

Noob
The gener has been "going to shit" for decades. People forget Rap is one of the most varied genres of music due too how different shit is based on where your from.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
I wouldnt consider nicki as hip hop anymore. I consider her a pop rapper...

I think drake is good. But other than that I think modern rap is ass.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
The only rappers I listen to anymore are Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Nipsey Hussle. I think Nipsey is awesome and is probably my favorite rapper since Andre 3k stopped making a lot of music (still does features which is cool). To answer your second question, no I don't think hip hop is headed in a good direction at all lol.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
yeah I brought up Royce because hes the only 1 out of the group that actually got bars, every1 else is average. as for Macklemore, thats a joke right?
Royce the only one that has bars? I'm questioning if you listened to anything by any of the other artists.

And no joke. I'm questioning if you've listened to any Macklemore other than The Heist.

Another good one is Immortal Technique. He's a bit older, so I don't know if most of you would consider him newer.

Kendrick, JCole, Drake (when he's not trying to make radio singles), Joey BadA$$, Mac Miller my nikka is underrated still, no label makin mills. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul.

one of the few new artists that i have respect for

i'm not a fan of 95% of the music now so my definition of a legend is different. record sales don't make you a legend.

forgot to say their newest album just came out (their third) and all of them have been amazing from beginning to end, no songs are skippable lol. i can't say that about many artists nowadays.

you're welcome

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
I grew up on hip hop, coming from an urban neighborhood it was what I lived on until I discovered other kinds of music in my teen years. Admittedly I do prefer the "golden era" of hip hop but I am open to all new rappers and usually do give everyone a chance. As far as a new school legend to me that would be anyone who came out AFTER the 90's were over. To me that would be Kanye West. now...

Let me just say his newest album is literally the worst album i've actually listened to in YEARS. It's just non sense to me. His last album was ok but not great. But in the realm of popular hip hop, it's hard to get any better recently then his first few albums. Particularly the first two. Knowing he actually produced the music, lyrics and rapped.. they are held in pretty high regard to me. Here are a few examples of what I am talking about...