What's new

Guide - Summoner New FULL guide for summoner Quan :D (Always changing!)

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Yeah im gonna put damage notations up. His defence is bad when talking about getting out of pressure but i understand what you are saying. He has the best defence mainly because his space control with b2 skulls and runes as well as the fear of puggles make him hard to get in on. I didn't make that clear in my guide soz I will change it
Heh, no worries, just trying to clear up some of the misconceptions people still have about Quan, yeah he has a very hard time against pressure without the threat of armour.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
The bar must be out because you can combo after when they are still in the trance state. This is vital to learn for it leads to huge damage or his vortex
Oh so if I ex the trance they will stay in it long enough for me to summon the bat and still get a combo in? Awesome. Lastly, which bat attack should I be using, the regular mid, the low, or the one that spits out a fire ball? I was playing around with it a bit and trying to get it to hit mid combo but it usually misses.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
What is his fastest punish strings? I mean when Quan blocks Tanyas' B1D2 (-10) or Shinnok's overhead (-11), what is he supposed to do then?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Very nice. Jax and Kotal are my dudes, but id like to learn some Quan just to play against him more efficiently.

Thumbs up and thank you.

gibster13

A fan of fans
Oh so if I ex the trance they will stay in it long enough for me to summon the bat and still get a combo in? Awesome. Lastly, which bat attack should I be using, the regular mid, the low, or the one that spits out a fire ball? I was playing around with it a bit and trying to get it to hit mid combo but it usually misses.
Corner combos use straight bat. Midscreen fireball. Unless you do f212xxskull straight bat db1f1 from midscreen

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Summoner Guide (what I do) If you disagree plz tell me :D can't remember damage but these are the combos. This is for people who have asked me and hope you like. Please say if i have missed anything so i can add it in.

Best moves and strings
By far some of Quan chi's best moves are his D1,D3, B2, B3 , NJP2 , B1, 4. All these moves can be used constantly by Quan in order to win.
Moves
-B2 is a fast overhead with huge range and can be cancelled. This is a must in neutral !!!!!
-J1 is godlike
-B3 is a very fast low which leads to his B324 string. It can be cancelled. This is also launcher which means it puts people in the air.It doesn't have the best range so don't through it out. You must be careful when using this string because it is full combo punishable.
-D1 6f with a deceptive hitbox. -9 but rarely punished because of the speed of the move
-D3 is a great poking move in the neutral game. It is +15 on hit so after you can get a free B2 or B3
-NJP2/1 The best NJP in the game? If in doubt NJP it out. @michaelangelo is the best for this. so look at his gameplay
-B1 has mental range, not as good as B2 but is still very good. Sometimes I do a B12 and then load Puggles. This panics the opponent and because they fear the great Puggles they will try to block what is coming. This means you can get a 50/50 with B3 or B2
-4 is great in combos and leads to big damage. Do not throw it out unless in combos
-D2 only good if used in combos. Don't throw it out (sometimes yolo it),unless they like to jump. If you have puggles you can even combo of it.
Strings
-B324
is great. It can be cancelled. This is also launcher which means it puts people in the air.It doesn't have the best range so don't through it out. You must be careful when using this string because it is full combo punishable.
-B12 is good. I do a B12 and then load Puggles. This panics the opponent and because they fear the great Puggles they will try to block what is coming. This means you can get a 50/50 with B3 or B2
-12 is shockingly good. The second hit is a fast low and catches loads of people of guard. Do not abuse they will catch on. Then the stagger of 12 or 1 or 1 db3 (banta) can be done.
-141 is very very good. It puts the opponent into a hard knockdown. This means you can zone or load Puggles.
-f212 great for damage and chip

Combos
Summoner is beautiful for combos.

Midscreen

Meterless(no bat)
b2 bf3 db3 f212xxskull firebat dbf1
b324 bf3 db3 f212xxskull firebat dbf1

BAT
Personally I always go for fullscreen carry when i have no meter
b2/b32 skull firebat dbf1

Metered(no bat)
b2 exdbb1 b2 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat dbf1
b32 exdbb1 b2 db3 f212 skull firebat dbf1

BAT
b2 exdbb1 pugglesprojectilefireball run cancel 4 bf3 db3 f212 full dbf1
b32 exdbb1 pugglesprojectilefireball run cancel 4 bf3 db3 f212 full dbf1

Corner
meterless(no bat)
b2 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 1 141
b32 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 1 141
BAT
HUGE DAMAGE!!!!
b2 skull firebat 4 njp 4 12 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 141 (over 50%)

b32 skull firebat 4 njp 4 12 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 141 (50%)

Metered(no bat)
b2 exdbb1 njp 4 12 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 141

b32 exdbb1 njp 4 12 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 141
BAT
b2 skull firebat 4 njp 4 12 exdbb1 4 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 141 (60%)
b32 skull firebat 4 njp 4 12 exdbb1 4 bf3 db3 f212 skull firebat 141

Vortex game
d3,3,f12 and 4 all guarantee a 50/50. His vortex comes of any combo (the ones i have put) off a trance.
He can also hold b2 with low bat and use that to mixup the opponent. It comes of his b2 (overhead) or b3(low). You can also make them guess after an exrune which is +14. The opponent can back dash b2 and armour b32 ;-;. Check the attached videos and @shujinkydink thread on maximising the vortex.

Zoning
Quan chi's zoning is the best in the game. It comes from a mixture of skull(db2) air skull (db2 in the air), rune (db1 all distances), and puggles the bat.

Skull--keeps the opponent from running in and jumping if it is an air skull. It can be neutral ducked. 6%
rune db1--Insane and keeps the opponent in place. On hit and block it grants a free puggles load. It has to be mixed up with skull. 8%
Puggles the bat- Keeps the opponent from pressing buttons at all. It is insane and a huge mind game

Learn converts from full screen to get up to 30% fullscreen.
Puggles can give free interactables as well.

Strength and Weakness
Quan is mental to be honest. He doesn't really lack anything BUUUUTTT. He has the worst defence (when being pressured) in the game by a mile. Your on him ? he is fucked. This is why I feel some people are scared to play him. He does NOT need nerfs for this reason. Perhaps a damage DECREASE would be fair. Nothing else lets be serious and ignore the noobs.

His defensive options such as b2 ( space control for days), skulls (both ground and air(can't jump)) , rune (can't move and grants free shit from full screen) and Puggles means that getting in on him is extremely hard. You have to take your time and if all else fails, yolo, to get in and pressure him. He has the best defence when zoning and space control are taken into account.

thanks !!!!!!

@michaelangelo
@STB Shujinkydink
@General M2Dave
@YOMI REO
@any other quans

OH GOD WHY????
*starts crying* pls gibster get a mod to delete dis thread gibster y u do dis?!!!

xxFalcon Loverxx

Is it bad ?
No i meant that the guide would help out more quan chi players.....Which would result in more good quan chi players.....It was just a joke anyway, i don't play quan that much and i think this guide is really good!Keep up the good work !
And because the guide is out on tym so that will help other quan players which will also lead to me getting 62% by quans online lol.

gibster13

A fan of fans
No i meant that the guide would help out more quan chi players.....Which would result in more good quan chi players.....It was just a joke anyway, i don't play quan that much and i think this guide is really good!Keep up the good work !
And because the guide is out on tym so that will help other quan players which will also lead to me getting 62% by quans online lol.
Ah haha

Blade4693

VIVIVI
One more question, if I want to do those combos where they use the bat to attack in the middle of the combos, do I use regular mid bat or low? Sorry for the all questions I have never used this character before and a lot of the vids I watched really didn't say. I have been experimenting with a lot of other characters lately to try and find my secondary, and after playing with him a lot yesterday Qaun might be a top contender for me lol

gibster13

A fan of fans
One more question, if I want to do those combos where they use the bat to attack in the middle of the combos, do I use regular mid bat or low? Sorry for the all questions I have never used this character before and a lot of the vids I watched really didn't say. I have been experimenting with a lot of other characters lately to try and find my secondary, and after playing with him a lot yesterday Qaun might be a top contender for me lol
mid

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Yeah im gonna put damage notations up. His defence is bad when talking about getting out of pressure but i understand what you are saying. He has the best defence mainly because his space control with b2 skulls and runes as well as the fear of puggles make him hard to get in on. I didn't make that clear in my guide soz I will change it
thats the whole idea though isnt it? if you manage to get past all of that, your rewarded with a character who can't really do much against you at that point aside from making really hard reads, a back dash if he's not already in the corner, or a d1 that doesnt really get him anything despite being 6 frames startup.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
thats the whole idea though isnt it? if you manage to get past all of that, your rewarded with a character who can't really do much against you at that point aside from making really hard reads, a back dash if he's not already in the corner, or a d1 that doesnt really get him anything despite being 6 frames startup.
Sounds like every other character in the game except with 1 less option. In fact many also don't have a 6f poke at all. He still has a hard time against pressure. Not as hard as it is for anyone caught in his vortex however.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
thing is though, most characters pokes on hit mean its their turn, not the case with quan chi, in fact plenty of characters can easily disrespect quan chi's d1 on hit due to this.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
most damage with quan chi in the corner, meterless, 1 bar, 2 bars, and all three plus the inputs for educational purposes

xxFalcon Loverxx

Btw here's the max damage with one bar with quan chi:
B2xxdb2,release bat,4,4xxexdb1b,4,14xxbf3,db3,f212xxdb2,release bat,141 62%!
What is his fastest punish strings? I mean when Quan blocks Tanyas' B1D2 (-10) or Shinnok's overhead (-11), what is he supposed to do then?
I believe his faster punisher is standing2 but i punish with standing 1 because if you use 21 trance, the trance will whiff.If you do 12xxtrance it won't whiff but it's just personal preference,But his fastest punisher is standing 2.
Edit:Just checked that standing 2 is 8 frames

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
If any character can beat Grandmaster, then it's fair. Maybe even buff him a little.

Nonameformedude

That Yung Big Body
Great guide, this is perfect for any aspiring quan..there's actually some damage in here that I had no idea was possible.

I do have a small gripe about what you call quans defense. Did quan get an armor move while I was gone? All the defensive options you listed are offensive options(zoning, like throwing a punch to stop a punch from coming, is still offense to me). He has nothing to blow up armor(aside from a few set ups with bat already out), and he has no armor himself. I think it's really cool that quan is a character "out of the meta" that every other character fits in...but it's painful to watch quan sit at a table by himself unless he's using his worst variation. It's even more painful when you look at any major and count how many times armor has made or broken a match

I honestly want to know how quan players feel about quan in the meta, is armor really nothing in mkx?

xxFalcon Loverxx

Great guide, this is perfect for any aspiring quan..there's actually some damage in here that I had no idea was possible.

I do have a small gripe about what you call quans defense. Did quan get an armor move while I was gone? All the defensive options you listed are offensive options(zoning, like throwing a punch to stop a punch from coming, is still offense to me). He has nothing to blow up armor(aside from a few set ups with bat already out), and he has no armor himself. I think it's really cool that quan is a character "out of the meta" that every other character fits in...but it's painful to watch quan sit at a table by himself unless he's using his worst variation. It's even more painful when you look at any major and count how many times armor has made or broken a match

I honestly want to know how quan players feel about quan in the meta, is armor really nothing in mkx?
The thing is with Quan, that he doesn't need armor.Because he has a pseudo unblockable which has a lot of mixups in side it,basically giving him the best 50/50 in the game.His offense is ridiculous since he can get free bat summon full screen setups,and he can also set up the bat in the corner with about taking out 60% of your opponent's health,and he also has reset i believe the max is 105% or 103% damage off of a reset mixup iirc,he has a six frame d1 which is very good for getting out of pressure,not only that but some of his tools are really CRAZY!If he touches you once midscreen, he gets a free guaranteed bat summon setup which allows him to chip chip chip away at his opponent from fullscreen,if the opponent starts getting impatient.Thats good for you as you good a free rune at him to make him respect his options from fullscreen.Not only that his mixups leave him +49....Yes you read it right his mixups leave him sooooo + on BLOCK, he can guarantee a blockstring after the opponent manages to block a mixup....Which makes the opponent have to block another mixup, if you MB rune the mixup to make it +14 he gets another mixup.
IMO he doesn't need armor, Quan Chi's options make him what he is.He doesn't need nerfs IMO now but i sincerely hope this tells you a lot about Quan Chi and his offensive options!
And as for his defense, he relies on his pokes to get out of pressure, when he is touched by the other character once, he really has to work hard to get out, but when the opponent gets caught in your offense......RIP.
I hope you kinda understood what Quan Chi is about from this!
I hope you have a wonderful day!

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
wait im confused....what leaves quan chi at +49??

and the main nerf quan chi needs is a damage nerf. As easy as it for him to open you up, i think a damage nerf is fair. He doesnt need to be doing crazy amounts of damage when the probability that he's gonna relaunch you after the reset is already high.

gibster13

A fan of fans
wait im confused....what leaves quan chi at +49??

and the main nerf quan chi needs is a damage nerf. As easy as it for him to open you up, i think a damage nerf is fair. He doesnt need to be doing crazy amounts of damage when the probability that he's gonna relaunch you after the reset is already high.
The only nerf he needs is damage