What's new

New features coming to Mk11 shortly after launch

Prima Italia

Italia per sempre
Great to hear that they gonna support the game after launch beyond characters and skins.

Really curious what this contains considering Shaun said in an interview Ed is crazy for doing it.
Cosmetics is one of them. According to a retailer each Battlepass will have goals and cosmetics over a 2 month period.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
NetherRealm Boss Teases ‘Pretty Awesome’ Features Planned to be Added to MK11 Shortly After Launch
By Alessio Palumbo

NetherRealm is in the polishing phase of Mortal Kombat 11, the highly anticipated new installment in the fighting game franchise. With the game due to release soon on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, NetherRealm boss Shaun Himmerick talked to The Official Xbox Magazine (April 2019, issue 175) and teased some of the post-launch content that fans can expect.

I sometimes forget everything we’ve already announced, but I know I can say this. Yes, because we plan to keep adding to the game and supporting the game well after launch. The features planned to be added to the game even in the first couple months are pretty awesome. There is more coming.

The Krypt mode was already confirmed, but Himmerick added that it will be a bit of a surprise in terms of the new direction given by the developers.

"Yes, there will be a Krypt! You can expect it to be fun. I don’t want to oversell it, for sure, but I think it’ll be a nice surprise to the players when they see the direction the Krypt has taken in this game."

Lastly, the VP and Studio Head of NetherRealm explained the main changes coming to the fighting mechanics in this new entry of Mortal Kombat.

"The big changes we made to the core fighting mechanics for MK11 were separating the players’ meter and having Fatal Blows not require meter. Before, the player was forced to manage one bar of meter for both offensive and defensive attacks. By separating the meters, players can break out of a combo and still have meter to amplify special attacks. The player also regains meter over time, it no longer requires the player to take or receive damage to fill up their meter. Fatal Blows are similar to X-ray moves that we had in Mortal Kombat X, however they no longer require the player to use meter. Before, players were required to decide on whether to use their meter to perform an X-ray, combo breakers or to enhance special moves. Fatal Blows can only happen when the player’s health reaches below 30%, and it can only be used once per match, it’s a really nice comeback feature that can tilt the match in either direction if you can land it."

Mortal Kombat 11 is out on April 23rd.

Hmm, sounds like the rumours of the Krypt being kinda a "Konquest" mode could turn into something real.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
good to hear that, but a bit skeptical about it .... hope to be true, I mean, supporting the game in its first year after release, all right, but, MK11 has potential to have at least a 3 years life cycle , so, would be incredible if they really supported this game , giving new and fresh content to/until 2021 or earlier 2022 ..... let's see ! :D

Well if you watch the Shaun Himmerick interview when they talk about DLC, he says Ed had an awesome idea and we said omg we can not possibly do that and we are probably gonna do that and then also said when people find out theyre gonna say, They’re doing what? Omg thats so much content

Reactions: Zev
Am I crazy for thinking this was probably planned as a launch feature but NRS decided they could push it back in order to meet the release date? Either way I'm not complaining, it's not like I'm gonna be hurting for content on April 23.
This was my first thought as well, but it's a more than acceptable situation either way.

Sounds very intriguing.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Honestly this shows how people react totally differently based on the context in which something is announced.

If they’d listed certain features for release, and then had to delay them, people would be crying bloody murder and threatening to boycott. But if you say that those features are planned post-release support of the game, everyone’s happy and they see it as the developer giving tons of extra stuff to the community after launch.

Likewise the silliness over the Amplify inputs wouldn’t even be an issue if they hadn’t trusted the community to see it while it was still being prototyped. Everyone would have been fine with Anplify as is, and likely not a single person would have complained.

It’s pretty crazy how PR can shape public reaction to certain things. Really interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I'm so confused. Why is that article important? Because it says the Krypt is coming? Who didn't think there was going to be a krypt?

For the past 3 MK games (5 NRS titles) there has been post launch content. Hell, EVERY MODERN GAME has post launch content. This fact in itself isn't news.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I'm so confused. Why is that article important? Because it says the Krypt is coming? Who didn't think there was going to be a krypt?

For the past 3 MK games (5 NRS titles) there has been post launch content. Hell, EVERY MODERN GAME has post launch content. This fact in itself isn't news.
No, there's something else coming, completely independent of the Krypt.

Previous NRS games have only had skins/characters/stages/balance changes as post-launch content. MK11 will have something else.

J_in_CA

Noob
Am I crazy for thinking this was probably planned as a launch feature but NRS decided they could push it back in order to meet the release date? Either way I'm not complaining, it's not like I'm gonna be hurting for content on April 23.
Going by an interview done during the reveal I think it's more likely that it was something that Ed came up with later in development and was never meant to make launch to begin with.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I just hope they don't do that shit from I2 where it was "get this skin or gear for a limited time" unless they put it up again so eventually you can get it. Though they kept gears separate from cosmetics in this game as confirmed by NRS, so I'm hoping if say I miss an event I can just buy it or get a 2nd crack at it.