What's new

New D'vorah design and female Noob Saibot?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I am a proud total ~SJW~ and even I think @Evil Canadian is well within his rights as a First Nations person to like whatever Native characters he wants. It is patronizing to act like he isn't intelligent enough to assess a stereotypical representation of his own race and decide it doesn't bother him. For a lot of people, a stereotypical representation feels better than no representation at all. That's a perfectly valid way to feel.
Well all that and Stereotypes are never an inherently bad thing. Army folk can have america flag tattoos, japan folk can know karate, brazil folk can be green and electric, native folk can have a feather somewhere on their person. None of these are bad things.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
And of course that's fine, but I was more so referring to the blatant transphobia and mocking representation-neither of which are ever okay by any group.
You're moving goalposts. If you want to talk to him about that, talk to him about that. All this stuff accusing him of being self-hating or ignorant about his own community because he doesn't have a problem with Nightwolf is out of bounds.

Well all that and Stereotypes are never an inherently bad thing. Army folk can have america flag tattoos, japan folk can know karate, brazil folk can be green and electric, native folk can have a feather somewhere on their person. None of these are bad things.
Yeah, I more mean the stereotype of Natives as ~mystical~ and ~close to the Earth~ and all of that. (T. Hawk I don't think is particularly stereotypical at all, honestly. Certainly no more than... almost everyone else in Street Fighter)

RYX

BIG PUSHER
i think one reason nightwing might come across as stereotypical is simply because he doesn't have a lot of screen time so some/most of it has to be dedicated to just selling his theme - being a Native. honestly i kind of felt jax was stereotypical up until MKX and now I think he's a neat character (shame jacqui is shit though)

imo if Nightwolf comes back and NRS gives him some more time to be cool he'd immediately lose that stigma, not to mention how NRS designs usually improve massively with each new title

SubZeroIce

Runway
Depends on the type and reason. Not all tribes wore feathers and grouping all Natives into one group is inherently wrong. They have bios and histories for every single character, they could simply give some real-life significance to the character and advance him further.

i think one reason nightwing might come across as stereotypical is simply because he doesn't have a lot of screen time so some/most of it has to be dedicated to just selling his theme - being a Native. honestly i kind of felt jax was stereotypical up until MKX and now I think he's a neat character (shame jacqui is shit though)

imo if Nightwolf comes back and NRS gives him some more time to be cool he'd immediately lose that stigma, not to mention how NRS designs usually improve massively with each new title

Well, it's not just that. It's a Native American character with war paint, a headband, mohawk a sleeveless jacket, wields a tomahawk, calls upon his ancestors for lightning & shoots spirit arrows. He's been listed on "top 5 most racist characters" list before so it's not like this criticism is the first. But yeah, if they give him more story and more significance, it could come off as less insensitive at times, especially with the way this generation is more sensitive to other cultures.

And yeah, I know if they did bring him back, it would be a more authentic character or they would amend it quickly like they did with Tanya.

SubZeroIce

Runway
pft what are you talking about!!!!!

Also Nightwolf owns cause after Sindel killed like half the cast(free, and easily, she killed all your favourites jade and smoke lovers) he was the only one that could hang with her.
50 Cent Jax was such a joke.. Good lord. That was a mess.

leoj89

Noob
So glad this topic got brought up cause I want to see Nightwolf return but I wasn't sure how the devs could bring him back but still be sensitive to Native American culture.

Such a cool character I hope we see him again in the near future. But yeah I could defiantly see cultural insensitivity playing apart in his current suspension.

50 Cent Jax was such a joke.. Good lord. That was a mess.
Dude please just stop. Was/is 50 cent the rapper a joke?

Stop and read your own responses telling the Native American how he should he feel about his own community. Really just stop and read how ridiculous your response is.

HTTR!

SubZeroIce

Runway
I am sorry, I don't get what is wrong with Nightwolf. Why is he racist? Are Liu Kang and Kung Lao racist as well?

I am not joking, I honestly do not get it.
Native Americans have been the butt of the joke by White Americans for centuries. They mocked and slaughtered them, only for white people to use their likeness for entertainment (Cowboys & Indians). It's pretty sad. I love Nightwolf a lot, but you can't exactly deny the character can be seen as offensive. I'm not Native American but it's a little embarrassing to see all the stereotypes they put on a character on how they think Native Americans act.

Nightwolf doesn't belong to a legit tribe and a lot of his design stems from dozens of different tribes with no factual representation. With a community like Native Americans, who's people have been erased and losing their traditions/language/artifacts since 1492, it's pretty ridiculous they couldn't make someone historically accurate. On one hand, it's just a video game and pixels as someone else has stated, but on the other this is how a lot of people see Native American people and that in itself is not okay. I love Nightwolf and I wanna see him back so bad, but I don't think it's appropriate to bring him back unless they give him a proper background and make him culturally aligned with an actual tribe. WB is a billion dollar company, the least they can do is hire actual Native Americans to come up with an appropriate & accurate depiction if they choose to.

I know this is a rant and it sounds so bizarre that I'm saying this much, but I went to a University who's old mascot was a Native American Chief, and I've spoken with Native Americans about how harmful these images can be to the community so I'm extra sensitive about it. It's been about 10 years since the University decided to remove the Chief symbol, and there's still students & alumni protesting the change despite thousands of Native Americans stating the harmful effects of the mascot.

Dude please just stop. Was/is 50 cent the rapper a joke?

Stop and read your own responses telling the Native American how he should he feel about his own community. Really just stop and read how ridiculous your response is.

HTTR!
Yes it's a joke, clown. The random ass anger over what I said. I never told him how to feel, I was saying to look at the bigger picture.

you seem like one of the people who would get mad over doom eternal calling demons mortally challenged >.>
Don't know if this is directed at me, but this is an apples and oranges things. I'm not mad at anything, I'm simply stating the strife a group has expressed and spoken about.

The "cowboys and Indians" culture indeed presented indians as the bad guys.
Nothing is offensive about Nightwolf though.

2nd in command of the good guys since forever, also destroyed Sindel (who killed the whole roster for free) while sacrificing himself for the greater good. One of the very few reasonable characters, also not involved in any mk drama.

He is the definition of empowerment and wisdom.

He should be dressed in skinny jeans and fat mustache (Like the host of the L. A reveal), because for today's standards, tribal uniform, warpaint and feathers are "offensive"