What's new

New Anti Character Guide Topic-Reptile added

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
Dreamcatcher: My anti Laziness.

Very nice man. Several Anti Jade techniques in there. Don't forget to add that kabal is probably the best to use on her because the Spin gets her even if she does the PP. The + and - System is pretty basic. 2 +s mean, this is basically the best character to use. A counter pick. H Smoke on Reptile for example. Reptile would be a -- against H smoke, but H Smoke would be a ++ as a counter for Reptile. So For Jade, anyone that relies on projectiles as a strategy, or as an important part of their move set would get a Minus. a +- would be used for an OK counter. For example.

For Jade

Kabal ++

Kung Lao +-

Reptile --

H Smoke +

ect.

Thanks for the help man. I PROMISE I'll do Cyrax tomorrow.
o i understand now. i thought it was just + and - lol. ok well ill add those at the end, have u and the community look/revise it as a whole. im kinda pro jade so ill go through all the chars or as many as i can...fun stuff ;)

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
on another note kudos to ded for ignoring my pm asking for a lil help auto capability off dash kicks. anyone on here know for sure which characters cant start autos when countering a dash kick. (like sonya, subby's knee)

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
sounds good. you dont think its too much, do you? like, do i ramble at some points, or does the information stay in context well enough? i dont want people to say "fuck this, aint worth readin all this shit" when im done lol

Cyrax

Cyrax is ranked Number 20 in UMK3. He has all the robot properties which means Average Run Jabs, and can easily be relaunched. He is great at zoning, which means you need to avoid projectiles to be effective against him. His Net is about an entire body lengths height, which means the only way to avoid it is by jumping. His bombs are completely unblockable. Since Cyrax can have one type of bomb out at once, either close or far, but can have 2 bombs out at the same time. You need to wait until one bomb explodes before he can launch another bomb. Take advantage and rush when appropriate, but watch a surprise net that can catch you mid jump. Teleporting characters work great against him since he has a very forward offense. Cyrax can dish out some serious damage, but as long as you don't allow yourself to get in those situations you'll be fine. You should be fine as long as you avoid the net, and don't get caught under the bombs. He has an amazing HK, watch the Net when you try and Sweep. Due to game limitations in a cyrax mirror match, the opponent can only have 1 bomb out per time if you send out a bomb. 2 Bombs can only be on screen at once between either of the Cyraxs. Knowing this, a Cyrax user that abuses the bombs can be countered by abusing bombs yourself.

Kabal-10

H Smoke-10

Kung-10

Ermac-10

Reptile-9

Nightwolf-9

Jax-8

Sonya-8

Kano-8

Stryker-8

UnSub-8

C Sub-8

Robo Smoke-7

Sindel-7

Kitana-7

Scorpion-7

Jade-7

Cyrax- 7

Sektor-6

Liu Kang- 5

Shang-5

Sheeva-4

Mileena-3

I changed the rating system now per character. It's on a scale of 1-10 now so it's much easier to see. I'm starting to see patterns in how Midway designed the game. Most characters are averagely matched against each other, with some lower tier characters doing poorly against others. People like Kabal and H Smoke can do well against everybody, while Mileena and Sheeva can hardly do anything to counter.

EDIT-Listed the couters from 10 down to 1 instead of having them scattered about.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Since Cyrax can only have one type of bomb out at once, either close or far, take advantage and rush when appropriate.

Cyrax can have two bombs out at any given time, and those two can be any mix of placement. This goes for Cyrax vs Cyrax as well. Both of them can only have two total bombs on-screen...sucks really.

I'd also put Lao at a higher number vs Cyrax as he completely owns Cyrax :confused: Moreso than Kabal IMO

I’ll post characters to counter pick with and a very brief description of some of their prime moves:

1. Kabal—Has an excellent rush game, Air Projectile, Ground Projectile, Quick = Unmasked Sub-Zero, Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Reptile, Kano
2. Human Smoke –Has a good rush game, Spear, Teleport Punch, Very Quick, High Damaging Punisher= Kung Lao, Kabal,
3. Ermac –Has a good rush game, Ground Projectile, Teleport Punch, Quick, Corner 100% = Kung Lao, Human Smoke, Ermac, Nightwolf
4. Kung Lao –Teleport, Ground Projectile, Great Auto-Combo, Infinite = Kabal, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion
5. Robo Smoke –Teleport Punch, Quick Spear, Air Throw, Invisability, High damage punisher = Kabal, Nightwolf, Jax, Human Smoke
6. Kano–Great Sweep, Fast Cannonball, aa Cannonball, Ground Projectile = Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Robot Smoke
7. Nightwolf –Has an excellent Rush Game, Shoulder Rush, Ground Projectile, Projectile Reflector, aaAxe, Great Auto-Combo= Human Smoke, Scorpion, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Kitana
8. Reptile – Has an Excellent Zoning Game, Projectiles that lead to High Damage, Slide, Invisability= Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Robot Smoke, Kung Lao, Sektor, Kitana
9. Jax – Has a decent Rush Game, Air Throw, Double Ground Projectile, Unblockable Special, Free Shoulder Charge with most against a throw= Human Smoke, Nightwolf, Reptile, Stryker
10. Sindel –Has an Excellent Zoning Game, Scream, Air Projectile, Ground Projectile, High Damage Punisher= Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Robot Smoke, Sektor, Kung Lao
11. Sonya –Has a decent Rush Game, Ground Projectile, aaSpecial, Fast and almost unblockable special(have to be holding down back and block to block)= Kabal, Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Unmasked Sub-Zero
12. Kitana – Has a decent Rush Game, Air projectile, Ground Projectile, aaSpecialx2, High Damage Punisher= Human Smoke, Scorpion, Ermac, Robot Smoke, Kung Lao, Sektor
13. Stryker – Close/aaProjectile, Shoulder Rush(throw), Special Sweep, Infinite= Kabal, Human Smoke, Kitana
14. Jade –Has a decent Rush Game, Can Evade Projectiles with Special, Good Projectile, Shoulder Rush= Human Smoke, Kitana
15. Unmasked Sub-Zero –Has an Excellent Zoning Game, Projectilex2 that freezes you, Ice Clone that freezes you, Slide= Jade, Robot Smoke, Human Smoke, Ermac
16. Classic Sub-Zero –Unblockable Projectile that allows him to do High Damage, Projectile that freezes you, Very Fast Slide= Human Smoke, Ermac , Reptile
17. Sheeva – Unblockable Specialx2, Projectile, Great Auto-Combo=Kabal, Nightwolf, Kano
18. Sektor – Homing Special, Projectile, Teleport Punch, Good Throw= Kabal, Nightwolf, Human Smoke
19. Scorpion –Spear, Teleport Punch= Ermac, Human Smoke, Kabal
20. Liu Kang –=Flying Shoulder Rush, Slow Air Fireball, Ground Fireballx2= Kabal, Human Smoke, Nightwolf
21. Cyrax – Unblockable Bombs (only 2 out allowed at any given time), Net Projectile, Very Slow Teleport, aaAir Thow= Kabal, Nightwolf, Ermac, HumanSmoke
22. Mileena –Fast Shoulder Rush that leads to decent Damage, Teleport Kick, Slow Projectile, Air Fireball= Ermac, Human Smoke, Kabal, Robot Smoke, Kitana
23. Shang Tsung – Good at Zoning, Fireballx3, Ground Fireballx3, Can morph into anyone except Smoke, Decent Auto-Combo= Unmasked Sub-Zero, Kabal, Nightwolf, Jade, Kitana, Jax, Human Smoke, Sonya, Sindel, Sheeva

Fell free to add anything where neeed.

Cyrax can have two bombs out at any given time, and those two can be any mix of placement. This goes for Cyrax vs Cyrax as well. Both of them can only have two total bombs on-screen...sucks really.

I'd also put Lao at a higher number vs Cyrax as he completely owns Cyrax :confused: Moreso than Kabal IMO
I changed it. I said that you can have 2 bombs out at once, but of two different types, and you have to wait for one bomb to explode before another can come out. I also said to watch for a surprise net mid jump. I brought Kung up to a 10 same as H smoke and Kabal. Hmm, I didn't know about the Cyrax VS Cyrax bomb limitation. This would be added in perfectly. I can now assign a Number to a Cyrax mirror match now. Thanks Konqrr for the input :D

Ok so far we have Jade, Sheeva, and Cyrax. Here's what we got.

Sheeva

Sheeva is Ranked number 23 in UMK3, dead last. Her hitboxes are very odd making her able to be relaunched by everyone except Mileena. Male Ninja's are not the best characters to be used against her because she get's a free Uppercut after a Throw, however, H Smoke, Ermac, and Scorpion can wake up and get a free Teleport before the ground stomp hits the ground. Kabal's Spin and Kano's Cannonball can do this as well. Like Shang, alot of juggles don't work as well because of her odd hitboxes. If playing as Reptile it's very difficult to juggle her off the 3 hit pop up. Max hit's you can get against Sheeva with Reptile is HPX6 Plus uppercut. Off a Forceball you can get HPX9 Plus uppercut. Sub Zero is a good counter for her. His combo's aren't affected by her hitboxes and his ice clone can stop her Teleport stomp cold, and set her up for a 50%+ Corner combo. The Jump back technique of the Ice Clone also helps. Kung Lao has some trouble Juggling her. Lui Kang and Kabal can both do an AFB infinite in the corner on Sheeva.

Kabal-10

UnSub-10

Kano-9

Reptile-8

Nightwolf-8

Robo Smoke-8

Sindel-8

Jax-8

Sonya-8

C Sub-8

Cyrax-8

H Smoke-7

Kung-7

Ermac-7

Kitana-7

Jade-7

Sektor-7

Stryker-6

Scorpion-6

Lui Kang-6

Sheeva-5

Shang-4

Mileena-4

Cyrax

Cyrax is ranked Number 20 in UMK3. He has all the robot properties which means Average Run Jabs, and can easily be relaunched. He is great at zoning, which means you need to avoid projectiles to be effective against him. His Net is about an entire body lengths height, which means the only way to avoid it is by jumping. His bombs are completely unblockable.Cyrax can have only 2 bombs out at once, either 2 close, 2 far, or a combination of the two. You need to wait until one bomb explodes before he can launch another bomb. Take advantage and rush when appropriate, but watch a surprise net that can catch you mid jump. Teleporting characters work great against him since he has a very forward offense. Cyrax can dish out some serious damage, but as long as you don't allow yourself to get in those situations you'll be fine. You should be fine as long as you avoid the net, and don't get caught under the bombs. He has an amazing HK, watch the Net when you try and Sweep. Due to game limitations in a cyrax mirror match, the opponent can only have 1 bomb out per time if you send out a bomb. 2 Bombs can only be on screen at once between either of the Cyraxs. Knowing this, a Cyrax user that abuses the bombs can be countered by abusing bombs yourself.

Kabal-10

H Smoke-10

Kung-10

Ermac-10

Reptile-9

Nightwolf-9

Jax-8

Sonya-8

Kano-8

Stryker-8

UnSub-8

C Sub-8

Robo Smoke-7

Sindel-7

Kitana-7

Scorpion-7

Jade-7

Cyrax- 7

Sektor-6

Liu Kang- 5

Shang-5

Sheeva-4

Mileena-3

Jade

Kitana VS Jade

You can count on an aggresive player to PP and rush you every time you throw a fan, and be able to capitilize on sweeping their anticipated autocombos/dash kicks. You must dictate the entire match with the fan lifts psychological advantage with an aggresive player. A lot of people underestimate Kitana's wake up ability and pay in the long run with incorrect run-jab and rushing strategies. If you fall to Jade's four hit auto w/sweep, give the fan lift a shot if they run in for jabs. If done quick enough and they don't block it, free juggle. If done too slow, they'll either block it or give the jab on you first and you won't be thrown, but will be in the ugly run-jab defense you'll want to get out of immediately against Jade. Being that close is dangerous, as the dash kick in the right hands (a lot like Kabal's spin) can be unstoppable. It's basically instantaneous and near impossible to bait on purpose. In conclusion, keep your distance with Kitana, and play dead on the boomerangs. Stay far enough away so a low boomer won't hit you, throw a fan, use the fan lift any chance it's open.

Reptile VS Jade

Repeat after me, ONLY USE A FORCEBALL RIGHT WHEN JADE'S PP wears off. To use an open slow or forceball mid to full screen against Jade is plain idiotic. Not only can the player just jump over it into her otg, but she has a special that allows her to run through it and go insane on you. You can't predict exactly when the dash kick comes in rush down, but when it does, go into runjabs. When/if you land a throw on Jade, see if they jump towards you before deciding your next move. If they don't jump, a slow forceball is actually advised. A lot of times, a player will mess up the PP button input getting up from a throw. Then when you put out the forceball, they'll jump over it instead. Roundhouse them onto the forceball if possible to set up a aaHP, aaHP, fast forceball, into a juggle. Don't necessarily abuse the slide, but use with caution against the midscreen Jade. If you keep the aggresive player mid to full screen, they likely become impatient and throw a return boomer. Sliding with good timing helps make the player even more impatient and they'll fall into "Sleep Over" dash punches or jump into otherwise foolish forceball situations you need to capitilize on in order to win. Don't use the dash punch for anything except juggles or if you can't create an anti-air juggle setup. Fake the forceballs, force mistakes.

Sonya VS Jade

You're essentially screwed beyond belief if you think you're going to win by playing dead. The only way Sonya is going to land an anti air hit on Jade is against poor ring counters when they should have just used PP. Don't even try to use the auto with Sonya to counter a ducked dash kick, the leg grab is the way to go. The best chance you have to win against a smart Jade player is to take the dash kick and boomerangs out of the game by fake ducking most of the time. Any idiot knows how quickly the leg grab can come while the player is ducking and they'll keep their distance. The downside to this strategy is that your offense is obviously killed outside sweep distance and Jade can throw a low boomer to catch you off guard. Block a low boomer when you spot it, rush in a bit more and fake duck if you can't get close enough to auto/leg grab. Get too close and the dash kick will often come, leg grab, run in for runjabs. If you're brave, you can try the wave punch after a sluggish boomerang at about mid screen. This way when you land, you're not too close to be uppercutted after recovery and not to far that it did you know good. Done correctly will put you at about sweep distance and leg grab capable. Abuse the grab as much as you can, it's the only special you can rely on. But don't forget that it's one of the easiest moves to punish when blocked.

Input is ALWAYS appreciated :]

I'll go in and add more to what I posted as I have the time to. In the end, when we combine everything It should be very impressive. I'll add in what yall have and just keep editing till we're finished.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
abc ur dead0 said:
I changed it. I said that you can have 2 bombs out at once, but of two different types, and you have to wait for one bomb to explode before another can come out. I also said to watch for a surprise net mid jump. I brought Kung up to a 10 same as H smoke and Kabal. Hmm, I didn't know about the Cyrax VS Cyrax bomb limitation. This would be added in perfectly. I can now assign a Number to a Cyrax mirror match now. Thanks Konqrr for the input :D
You said that you can only have one of each, but you can have two far or two close or one of each, it doesn't matter but only two.

I’ll post characters to counter pick with and a very brief description of some of their prime moves:

1. Kabal—Has an excellent rush game, Air Projectile, Ground Projectile, Quick = Unmasked Sub-Zero, Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Reptile, Kano

2. Human Smoke –Has a good rush game, Spear, Teleport Punch, Very Quick, High Damaging Punisher= Kung Lao, Kabal?, Ermac

3. Ermac –Has a good rush game, Ground Projectile, Teleport Punch, Quick, Corner 100% = Kung Lao, Human Smoke, Ermac, Nightwolf?

4. Kung Lao –Teleport, Ground Projectile, Great Auto-Combo, Infinite = Kabal, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, UnSub

5. Robo Smoke –Teleport Punch, Quick Spear, Air Throw, Invisibility, High damage punisher = Kabal, Nightwolf, Jax, Human Smoke

6. Kano–Great Sweep, Fast Cannonball, aa Cannonball, Ground Projectile = Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion?, Robot Smoke? Reptile Unsub

7. Nightwolf –Has an excellent Rush Game, Shoulder Rush, Ground Projectile, Projectile Reflector, aaAxe, Great Auto-Combo= Human Smoke, Scorpion, Unmasked Sub-Zero, Kitana Unsub Reptile

8. Reptile – Has an Excellent Zoning Game, Projectiles that lead to High Damage, Slide, Invisability= Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Robot Smoke, Kung Lao, Sektor, Kitana?

9. Jax – Has a decent Rush Game, Air Throw, Double Ground Projectile, Unblockable Special, Free Shoulder Charge with most against a throw= Human Smoke, Nightwolf, Reptile, Stryker

10. Sindel –Has an Excellent Zoning Game, Scream, Air Projectile, Ground Projectile, High Damage Punisher= Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Robot Smoke, Sektor, Kung Lao

11. Sonya –Has a decent Rush Game, Ground Projectile, aaSpecial, Fast and almost unblockable special(have to be holding down back and block to block)= Kabal, Human Smoke, Ermac, Scorpion, Unmasked Sub-Zero

12. Kitana – Has a decent Rush Game, Air projectile, Ground Projectile, aaSpecialx2, High Damage Punisher= Human Smoke, Scorpion, Ermac, Robot Smoke, Kung Lao, Sektor JAX! KABAL!

13. Stryker – Close/aaProjectile, Shoulder Rush(throw), Special Sweep, Infinite= Kabal, Human Smoke, Kitana Reptile Unsub

14. Jade –Has a decent Rush Game, Can Evade Projectiles with Special, Good Projectile, Shoulder Rush= Human Smoke, Kitana?, KABAL! Ermac

15. Unmasked Sub-Zero –Has an Excellent Zoning Game, Projectilex2 that freezes you, Ice Clone that freezes you, Slide= Jade, Robot Smoke, Human Smoke, Ermac

16. Classic Sub-Zero –Unblockable Projectile that allows him to do High Damage, Projectile that freezes you, Very Fast Slide= Human Smoke, Ermac , Reptile

17. Sheeva – Unblockable Specialx2, Projectile, Great Auto-Combo=Kabal, Nightwolf, Kano, UNSUB!

18. Sektor – Homing Special, Projectile, Teleport Punch, Good Throw= Kabal, Nightwolf, Human Smoke, Ermac

19. Scorpion –Spear, Teleport Punch= Ermac, Human Smoke, Kabal, Robo Smoke

20. Liu Kang –=Flying Shoulder Rush, Slow Air Fireball, Ground Fireballx2= Kabal, Human Smoke, Nightwolf Unsub

21. Cyrax – Unblockable Bombs (only 2 out allowed at any given time), Net Projectile, Very Slow Teleport, aaAir Thow= Kabal, Nightwolf, Ermac, HumanSmoke Reptile

22. Mileena –Fast Shoulder Rush that leads to decent Damage, Teleport Kick, Slow Projectile, Air Fireball= Ermac, Human Smoke, Kabal, Robot Smoke, Kitana, Unsub

23. Shang Tsung – Good at Zoning, Fireballx3, Ground Fireballx3, Can morph into anyone except Smoke, Decent Auto-Combo= Unmasked Sub-Zero, Kabal, Nightwolf, Jade, Kitana, Jax, Human Smoke, Sonya, Sindel, Sheeva, Unsub

Fell free to add anything where neeed.

Added Question marks on the questionable choices, and added some of my own.
You severely underestimate Unsub as an Counter character my friend.

Tim Static

Adminerator
You should just make the list alphabetical. No offense, but I dont agree with your Tier list, and since this isnt a tier list, and to avoid any arguement or conflicts, you should just do alphabetical. :D

You should just make the list alphabetical. No offense, but I dont agree with your Tier list, and since this isnt a tier list, and to avoid any arguement or conflicts, you should just do alphabetical. :D
I'm just picking at random. I think he did his tier list, but Overall the guide is being made at random. I started and Sheeva and Cyrax because they are some of the easiest. I think I'll pick a more specialized person like Unsub or Reptile next.

Yeah I didn't do all The counter pick because it was late and I was tired. I'll go in and add/subtract some when I find the time. And thats not my official tier list its just a rough draft. I'll just go bye it as of now since Ive already started.

Yeah I didn't add usub alot because, as I said, I was tired. But there were alot of places where I did put Unmasked Sub-Zero and you said I didn't. And Nightwolf is a decent counter for Ermac because he's difficult to aa, and thats 80% of Ermacs game.

I'm doing Reptile This Sunday at the Latest. I find myself getting better at writing these, and honestly I think it's slightly improving my UMK3 game.

dubson

Noob
In the matchup of Kano vs. Reptile, Kano is favored.

Kano is a better counter for Reptile, than vice versa.

In the matchup of Kano vs. Reptile, Kano is favored.

Kano is a better counter for Reptile, than vice versa.
QFT

Reptile's game is zoning correct? Kano's game is rushing correct?

I don't use either character so I can't really explain anything for this match up.

dubson

Noob
Yes Phoenix you are correct, and Kano's rushdown is just too much for Reptile.

Kano is an excellent counter for Reptile.

But if you encounter a Reptile who is just as aggresive as you, what then?

Not all Reptile players sit back and forceball.