What's new

NetherRealm's Silence

P.F.

Noob
I agree, mostly because if they interacted with the community beforehand they would have realized how stupid some of the changes they came up with were, and they would have never made it into the game. You save time, money and your company's image when you get it right the first time instead of releasing a bullshit patch, then spend the next month fixing it when you could be working on other content.

It also would have saved the community a lot of crying too I think, if they explained their changes or done a little research on matters such as, let's say, BS Shinnok, who is considered by many players to be top 3 now after some random patch with random changes.

Also I don't remember what tourney it was, but didn't Hellfire Scorpion get his BnBs changed right before a major? Again, because of some random patch. WTF? How are you that out of touch with the community who plays your damn game? Not trying to be salty but as someone who works in the business environment this lack of common sense hurts my head.

Last edited:
What company let's changes be known to the community before the patch hits? I'm sure it'd be the minority even if you can list examples. NRS isn't being "secretive", they're just doing the patching as they, and most other devs, have always done.
shut up, you'd dash forward in injustice like it was safe, stfd.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I agree, mostly because if they interacted with the community beforehand they would have realized how stupid some of the changes they came up with were, and they would have never made it into the game. You save time, money and your company's image when you get it right the first time instead of releasing a bullshit patch, then spend the next month fixing it when you could be working on other content.

It also would have saved the community a lot of crying too I think, if they explained their changes or done a little research on matters such as, let's say, BS Shinnok, who is considered by many players to be top 3 now after some random patch with random changes.

Also I don't remember what tourney it was, but didn't Hellfire Scorpion get his BnBs changed right before a major? Again, because of some random patch. WTF? How are you that out of touch with the community who plays your damn game? Not trying to be salty but as someone who works in the business environment this lack of common sense hurts my head.
Except they are. They're very in touch, much more than in previous years. You can talk to them in person in 80% of the majors or see Paulo every night in a lot of streams. Just because they don't sit down to talk to random scrubs who signed up 2 months ago on TYM doesn't mean they aren't in touch or don't care a lot about the community. Every single patch they have addressed a lot of issues and made the game better because of it. Balancing a game is an iterative process and it takes a while to let the game breathe. Especially considering there's very few people out there who can actually find and exploit the things that need to be fixed. And yes that means 99% of the people in this thread don't even play near the level where you can actually start making legit opinions about the game's balance. The whinning is pathetic.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Oh good gosh I don't understand why there are so many posts like this one around the forum. They bring so much negativity and ridiculousness, and if you feel that way, there is a real simple solution to your problem, don't fucking come to a Netherrealm and MKX-based forum. Problem solved. Good lord, lol.
this isn't just a Mortal Kombat forum;)

there are many topics not regarding NRS games.

but maybe if you dont like hearing these type of comments, why enter a thread titled NRS's silence.. just wondering. obviously its about frustration with NRS games and there communication with their customer's which is undoubtedly one of the biggest factors in a successful franchise?

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Yup. I wasn't even born during that time. :(
curse your parents, you should have been there;) it was great, they basically released it in response to Street fighter. which i think imo MK was more of a Martial arts approach to the back and forth game play style. I've always liked how the Block was not a retreat mechanism but more loudly stated that there was no need to crouch or cower down but simply block.. the block button for me has un-doubtably set this game apart from the others.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
curse your parents, you should have been there;) it was great, they basically released it in response to Street fighter. which i think imo MK was more of a Martial arts approach to the back and forth game play style. I've always liked how the Block was not a retreat mechanism but more loudly stated that there was no need to crouch or cower down but simply block.. the block button for me has un-doubtably set this game apart from the others.
I envy you for having been born during that time. My first contact with MK was when I was around 8 years old playing MK Trilogy in brother's N64. I believe that two of the biggest factors that made me so passionate about this series are the ninjas with different colors and abilities and IIRC, the N64 version had an exclusive code that once you enable it, you could perform brutalities by just pressing one button when the "Finish him/her!" came up. As a child, beating the crap out of my opponent and making them explode into 4 legs, 3 ribcages, 7 arms, and other multiple body parts was a fantastic experience. lol

Batman2000

4/14/15 Baby!!!!!
this isn't just a Mortal Kombat forum;)

there are many topics not regarding NRS games.

but maybe if you dont like hearing these type of comments, why enter a thread titled NRS's silence.. just wondering. obviously its about frustration with NRS games and there communication with their customer's which is undoubtedly one of the biggest factors in a successful franchise?
I said MKX-Based (which it is, as the forum name suggests 'TestYourMight') not solely about Mortal Kombat. And, the comment I replied to was about people who complain about not liking Netherrealm and the MK franchise yet visit an MK and NRS-based forum. I never said justified NRS' silence, nor did I degrade people for complaining about the silence (if you look through the thread, you'll see I made a post about how companies feel going silent is the answer, which is ridiculous). My reply post wasn't about the silence at all lol.

Quick side note intro: First time poster here, finally registered to the forum after being a longtime lurker, been playing the game since beholding the crowd gathered around an original MK arcade cabinet at my 10th birthday party at Aladdin's Castle and have played every game since including supporting it faithfully during the often ridiculed 3d era.

Now that we got that out of the way, I wanted to attempt to get some opinions on the aftermath of the official KP2 announcement. Firstly, even though a lot of people are clearly irritated by the longer-than-expected wait, I just wanted to point out how nearly everyone seems to be assuming the DLC will be released in January/early 2016, while neglecting to really process the fact that they left it very open ended by saying "the first HALF of 2016", which could easily mean us not seeing the final character released (or can you imagine even the first of the four) as late as late June or early July, that time frame I feel would be ridiculous and hugely detrimental to sales performance.

Secondly, has anyone else been shocked at how drastically the announcement slowed the pace of discussion among this forum and others? It seemed to cause an immediate peak and since has just meandered into virtual obscurity except among the most eager and impatient of us fans. I can't help but think NRS and Boon are aware of this, even so far as to have Boon posting examples of fan backlash to twitter, so the question is, WHY? Why do NRS and Boon continue to remain ultimately silent since the fallout? In the business of entertainment it's pretty well common place to believe that aa lack of updates, promotion, and publicity can spell disaster for a product. Perhaps it wouldn't have seemed so shocking if it were gradual as opposed to going from constant Kombat Kasts and regular social media updates to nearly nothing but the random twitter troll from Special Ed. I for one think this is a massive mistake, and I can't wrap my head around why they built us up to this huge announcement only to hit us right in the crotch with "news" that we all pretty much already knew, and rub salt in the wound by giving us exactly ZERO details and in the ample time that has followed have not even announced a single fighter to this rabid fanbase. People WILL lose interest in what you're trying to sell them if you can't even directly portray what they're supposed to be buying!

I feel like the success this game has had as being the best selling game of the year thus far (I also believe this will change rather quickly with Halo 5 and other holiday releases immanent) has gone to Special Ed's head and fed his already over inflated ego to falsely believe that the MK fanbase will gobble up whatever slop they toss down to us without question and with a smile, have they so quickly forgotten the critical reception of the 3d era?

Bottom line is: the hungry fans need to be thrown a few appiteasers to hold us all over and get the casuals more amped up to spend their hard earned cash, ESPECIALLY with the failure of the last-gen release, the problematic PC release, and the abyssmal netcode.

Thoughts?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Wat?

I'm sure the game will be fine. Patience, young padiwan. People didn't know they were going to get any further DLC in the first place; so they aren't going to stop playing MKX now just because they have to wait for it. As soon as characters are announced, the hype will begin anew.

Street Fighter has done seasonal/staggered updates for years and it actually serves to reinvigorate the game each time.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
Yeah, gonna have to say No.

I feel waiting is a great thing. It keeps MKX relevant. IIRC, MK9 saw two EVO's (with a third as a side tournament) Patches were done super quick and before we knew it we were stuck with a final product that was just....well, we (mostly) love MK9, lets just leave it at that. =P

My point, is that with NRS stretching content to next year, we've got patches to look forward to, more stages(?) characters, and above all, they're just giving the game a chance to breathe and live in the moment. Do I think Ed is being silly? Heck no, im sure they're just as busy with either another project, more stuff on MKX, or working to maintain. This is a great time to be a Mortal Kombat fan.

......no comment on that 3D garbage though.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
First of all, how is this even a thing? Boo hoo the game will finally breathe a little bit, develop more and get more quality patches, better tested DLC and it'll spread the life of the game even more. How awful.

You seem to think Mr. Boon actually sits down and take all the decisions.
I feel like the success this game has had as being the best selling game of the year thus far (I also believe this will change rather quickly with Halo 5 and other holiday releases immanent) has gone to Special Ed's head and fed his already over inflated ego to falsely believe that the MK fanbase will gobble up whatever slop they toss down to us without question and with a smile, have they so quickly forgotten the critical reception of the 3d era
Like what kind of Filthy Casual shitpost is this. You have a team of hundreds working with WBs marketing team spending millions of dollars on this thing while you think it's just Ed Boon sitting on a basement or something.

My thoughts are, this is a competitive mk forum. We care about the community and mastering whatever game we have. We don't care about imaginary situations or "companies screwing fans up because they announced something that'll be out next year or something". What is this Gamefaqs.