What's new

Discussion My tier list

Tweedy

Noob
You're not saying anything or constructing an argument, just throwing tools to the wind. I could do the same with Goro: fast pokes, high chip damage, safe armored launcher and a +10 on block armor poke, how could he not be top ten!?

I'm not saying have a strictly unreactable overhead and low mixup is key to being good, but you have to have something pretty darn good to make up for it, and Kitana seems to lack it hard. She does damage, but so does pretty much everyone with a few exceptions. The ways to get that damage inflicted is where her flaws appear to line up, and you can see most Kitana matches going down to the meta of throwing fans and doing nothing until it becomes apparent that her grounded offense is horrendous and consists of slow moves that are at least now thankfully safe on block, but don't leave her in good positions on block and leave her up close where she blows.

Air fans are not MK9 air fans. They are worse on whiff, far far worse on block, and now serve as her only sort of check on grounded opponents rather than an additional option. In a world where everyone thinks Goro and Leatherface are the dirt worst, how is Kitana not in this company? They too have good enough tools on paper and just kind of suck in comparison.

Granted, MKX low tiers are in a far better spot than MK9 low tiers. They can actually have good MU charts or relatively decent, but someone has to be low tier, and I do not see why she would not end up very low with the likes of Goro and Jason.
Goro has weak anti airs and bad mids. Those are very relevant weaknesses on this game. Jason's "getting zoned" weakness, is not. Not to mention you make this post assuming that Goro isn't really good as well. Goro is another "bro he's Jason cmon" character. He's not as good as Jason at this point obviously, but D tier? lol

None of these characters are even low tier. They're just put in low tier to make the tier list look pretty. In reality only variations are low tier.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
None of these characters are even low tier. They're just put in low tier to make the tier list look pretty. In reality only variations are low tier.
What does that even mean? Of course there's going to be characters in low tier; some characters are just ill-equipped and not that strong, it happens. I would submit that characters who are largely based around command grabs that get zero oki from them and can't move very well have an insane weakness where not only they get spaced out, but also don't actually get a reward when they land their big move. That's why people don't think Goro or Jason are any good, and it's a solid reason.

You can add a cute fireball or teleport or whatever to spice it up a bit, but that core weakness will never go away and probably dooms those characters to be whack unless one or both of those flaws are addressed (They kinda did with Goro in that he runs faster, but he's still pretty darn slow with slow strings but fast pokes).

Tweedy

Noob
What does that even mean? Of course there's going to be characters in low tier; some characters are just ill-equipped and not that strong, it happens. I would submit that characters who are largely based around command grabs that get zero oki from them and can't move very well have an insane weakness where not only they get spaced out, but also don't actually get a reward when they land their big move. That's why people don't think Goro or Jason are any good, and it's a solid reason.

You can add a cute fireball or teleport or whatever to spice it up a bit, but that core weakness will never go away and probably dooms those characters to be whack unless one or both of those flaws are addressed (They kinda did with Goro in that he runs faster, but he's still pretty darn slow with slow strings but fast pokes).
Jason can't move very well. Right.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Jason can't move very well. Right.
First off, my apologies to @cR WoundCowboy for derailing this thread by arguing with Tweedy of all people, but I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

You're doing that thing again where you won't step up and make claims, you're just snidely remarking. I don't think it's anything but an undisputed fact that Jason runs slow, and his walkspeed is decent to average.

All of his moves that are likely to hit have a bad habit of leaving the opponent decently far away on hit, which means that unless they are right up against the corner (Admittedly a good possibility with his b121 being what it is, but also bad considering he has to use meter to KEEP from swapping corner position on his command grabs), the oki he will get off landing a command grab or regular grab or choke is just plain not good. I would submit again that this is a profoundly fundamental issue which will prevent him from ever being as good as he could be. This is not an outlandish statement.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
In my opinion, Jason's poor mobility is really blown out of proportion. Yes he is slow, but if never seen anyone get zoned out hard in this game. Ex DF1 has really good range too so he can armor a projectile and close the gap. His B122 string is very fast and covers half the string. Slasher's machete toss isn't bad at counter zoning either. It's pretty quick and has decent advantage on hit. It's also good damage compared to most projectiles in the game so Jason will win trades unless it's MOS Ermac or Sub-Zero, Cyrax, and characters with capture moves.

Any serious problems he has in mobility is made up for in his offense. If he gets the unstoppable buff active(not hard to so), he can just abuse the fuck out of his minus 2, 6 frame d1. He hits like a truck and he is also pretty safe. His command grabs have pretty good recovery, and can be a tough punish. It's actually very challenging to get the momentum back from Unstoppable if he has a life lead. His other two variations are solid too.

I don't know him enough to place his tier, but I do think he isn't bottom tier. His buffs absolutely did change a lot for him, and I think Jason is seriously deserving of re evaluation.

On the subject of Kitana, I agree that she is one of the worst characters in the game. Not terrible, but definitely low tier.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
In my opinion, Jason's poor mobility is really blown out of proportion. Yes he is slow, but if never seen anyone get zoned out hard in this game. Ex DF1 has really good range too so he can armor a projectile and close the gap.
It's not about projectiles on the screen, it's any form of spatial advantage, which includes normals. I imagine projectiles are pretty annoying, but he might have a way around them. The real problem is that he's so slow in moving that he can't possibly outmaneuver the vast majority of the characters who have wicked normals/specials that allow them to control the space where his one decent string, b121, will lose hard to low profiling or just faster moves. What the hell is Jason going to do against Jax, Mileena, Alien, Predator, D'vorah, even lamer characters like Kenshi probably give Jason a hard time just because he can't move well enough to manuever himself out of position of his moves.

Even worse, his momentum ends when he lands his specials because he can't get good positional advantage of of them. A character will quick get up and probably be well in hand to fight off his advance.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It's not about projectiles on the screen, it's any form of spatial advantage, which includes normals. I imagine projectiles are pretty annoying, but he might have a way around them. The real problem is that he's so slow in moving that he can't possibly outmaneuver the vast majority of the characters who have wicked normals/specials that allow them to control the space where his one decent string, b121, will lose hard to low profiling or just faster moves. What the hell is Jason going to do against Jax, Mileena, Alien, Predator, D'vorah, even lamer characters like Kenshi probably give Jason a hard time just because he can't move well enough to manuever himself out of position of his moves.

Even worse, his momentum ends when he lands his specials because he can't get good positional advantage of of them. A character will quick get up and probably be well in hand to fight off his advance.
I agree with most of that. Him getting in is always worth it once he does. I think his issues weighed against his strengths don't equate to a bottom 3 character. It also isn't really that hard to keep the momentum. Slasher has long range normals, and Slasher B1 doesn't suffer from many low profiling issues. His knockdowns have decent enough advantage and he has okay corner carry. Especially off of the B1 string, the corner carry is great.

I'm not trying to argue Jason as some godly character, but I definitely think he is better than the lower end of the cast.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I agree with most of that. Him getting in is always worth it once he does.
I think that's where I guess I don't see it. If he gets in with Slasher, he has a very not safe mixup between low and overhead that is not particularly fast, and doesn't have particularly good moves beyond b1 to force a block mixup. In the others, he has the command grabs, but they essentially re-position in a bad way almost every time because whichever corner you're closest to, he's throwing them out unless he has meter, which probably gets very expensive over time. He does decent enough damage in Slasher and below average in the others, and I'm also not too sure that his d1 and b3 are good enough threats to stave off the awesome spatial control of the majority of the cast

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think that's where I guess I don't see it. If he gets in with Slasher, he has a very not safe mixup between low and overhead that is not particularly fast, and doesn't have particularly good moves beyond b1 to force a block mixup. In the others, he has the command grabs, but they essentially re-position in a bad way almost every time because whichever corner you're closest to, he's throwing them out unless he has meter, which probably gets very expensive over time. He does decent enough damage in Slasher and below average in the others, and I'm also not too sure that his d1 and b3 are good enough threats to stave off the awesome spatial control of the majority of the cast
He has good pokes too. He probably has the best D1 in the game. Yeah the Jason's base damage is meh but like you said, slasher's is decent, relentless has the passive, and unstoppable has the buff up. Imo, Jason doesn't seriously lack anything except mobility, and relentless has a teleport if you desperately want to move. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Only time will tell with Jason.

He has good pokes too. He probably has the best D1 in the game. Yeah the Jason's base damage is meh but like you said, slasher's is decent, relentless has the passive, and unstoppable has the buff up. Imo, Jason doesn't seriously lack anything except mobility, and relentless has a teleport if you desperately want to move. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Only time will tell with Jason.
"The best D1 in the game.." Yet, we ignore Kotal's D1 or Ferra/Torr's? Mileena's would be something but it has no range and doesn't effectively set up anything.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
"The best D1 in the game.." Yet, we ignore Kotal's D1 or Ferra/Torr's? Mileena's would be something but it has no range and doesn't effectively set up anything.
It has the same speed as Kotal's D1. Please please please tell me why minus 5 is better than Jason's minus 2. :)

I just pray that NRS community does not create a self fulfilling prophecy of the game being dead. We should develop a game until the sequel comes out. Especially for fighting games.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I dare say she was top 5. The only 3-7 mu where Sonya, Cyrax. Kuhbaul was 4-6.
@Eddy Wang. Back me up here, or correct me If I am wrong.
I already got this discussion with ATK, on my Tier list Skarlet only loses to Cyrax 7-3, Sonya was actually 5-5 and Kabal was 4-6, Cyrax being the hardest because she could lose an entire game from a single mistake, and his bomb game was much harder to deal with in the neutral.

Skarlet was top 3 on my tier list, not a single character except cyrax could deal with her Kunai OTG game that lead to insane blockstuns to build more meter.
no character except kabal could deal with her anti-wakeup armor game, but even Kabal could be tricked to Flash parry and still get punished by F212,1+2 string
No character in the roster would get out of the corner against Skarlet.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I already got this discussion with ATK, on my Tier list Skarlet only loses to Cyrax 7-3, Sonya was actually 5-5 and Kabal was 4-6, Cyrax being the hardest because she could lose an entire game from a single mistake, and his bomb game was much harder to deal with in the neutral.

Skarlet was top 3 on my tier list, not a single character except cyrax could deal with her Kunai OTG game that lead to insane blockstuns to build more meter.
no character except kabal could deal with her anti-wakeup armor game, but even Kabal could be tricked to Flash parry and still get punished by F212,1+2 string
No character in the roster would get out of the corner against Skarlet.
what do you mean deal with her kunai otg? i agree cyrax was kinda tough for her, i think lao prolly 6-4'd her as well as kabal sonya. it wasn't really her mu chart that was too bad, it was just she had a few weaknesses from people who were smart enough to crouch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
what do you mean deal with her kunai otg? i agree cyrax was kinda tough for her, i think lao prolly 6-4'd her as well as kabal sonya. it wasn't really her mu chart that was too bad, it was just she had a few weaknesses from people who were smart enough to crouch.
Skarlet could pin any character with 1 frame low dagger(kunai) and hit them before the wakeup window appear on mostly any knockdown, if they tried to do any wakeup attack during the pin it would cause a meter drain glitch and they were forced to stand block or stand hit with an enormous amount of hitstun making her plus enough to start anything.

Cyrax had a wonky hitbox on his ragdoll, and that move was hard to whiff punish so she had to keep that in mind all the time since risking more was practically death.

Among Skarlet weakness was the lack of wakeup for sure without meter, and her fastest launcher required meter, but as you could get more here defense and offense also raised together, which is why i think she was one of her kind.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
Skarlet could pin any character with 1 frame low dagger(kunai) and hit them before the wakeup window appear on mostly any knockdown, if they tried to do any wakeup attack during the pin it would cause a meter drain glitch and they were forced to stand block or stand hit with an enormous amount of hitstun making her plus enough to start anything.

Cyrax had a wonky hitbox on his ragdoll, and that move was hard to whiff punish so she had to keep that in mind all the time since risking more was practically death.

Among Skarlet weakness was the lack of wakeup for sure without meter, and her fastest launcher required meter, but as you could get more here defense and offense also raised together, which is why i think she was one of her kind.
if they delayed there wakeup though your dagger wiffs. yeah and her lack of meterless wakeup wasn't too nice either. and she was super meter dependant.. solid char but meter dependant and weak to crouching like jax kinda

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
if they delayed there wakeup though your dagger wiffs. yeah and her lack of meterless wakeup wasn't too nice either. and she was super meter dependant.. solid char but meter dependant and weak to crouching like jax kinda
It doesn't whiff, it picks them up.

Just try, if you still have MK9, set anyone to do a delayed wakeup, Skarlet daggers OTGs no matter what.